View Full Version : Some examples of modern homes

dismayed
06-19-2010, 03:53 PM
All the talk of modern development in another thread has gotten me thinking about modern house development going on around the country. I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I think it would be great to see some modern homes as an option in OKC. Below are some of my favorite examples from around the country. A lot of them are out on the west coast, but some are located in some surprising locales (such as Memphis, TN). Some of these are located in the country, while others are in downtown areas (but all include landscaping). Modern doesn't always have to mean expensive... several of these examples are of modular homes that could potentially be built to economies of scale. Enjoy:

http://www.blueskyhomesllc.com/users/DavidMcAdam8520/docs/ImageHouse-Profile-6.jpg

http://lindal.com/~img/homes/gallery/TD3-2010_masthead.jpg

http://www.floornature.com/media/photos/1/5236/odos_02_popup.jpg

http://www.contemporist.com/photos/skycottage_150110_01.jpg

http://www.marmolradzinerprefab.com/images/custom_prefab_homes/large_renderings/Palms_11_lg.jpg

http://www.marmolradzinerprefab.com/images/custom_prefab_homes/large_renderings/ca_8_1_east_view_websize.jpg

khook
06-19-2010, 04:51 PM
get out and about.... granted we don't have alot of "modern" houses there are quite a few that have been built sosa's, east lincoln terrace and NE 6th. believe it or not. In all maybe a dozen or so... but its a start...

Spartan
06-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Norman and Stillwater have some. Tulsa is loaded down with em.

Larry OKC
06-20-2010, 01:38 AM
Just curious but from a cost standpoint, how does Modern (as seen in the pics) compare to Traditional (same sf, trying to eliminate most of the variables)?

PennyQuilts
06-20-2010, 07:42 AM
How do energy costs compare between a typical traditional home and the ones with all the windows? When I was younger, I had my heart set on an underground home but never followed up.

Spartan
06-20-2010, 11:15 AM
What was it a few years ago, the Pomasoda homes?

mburlison
06-20-2010, 12:56 PM
What's old is new again... looks like 50's/60's 'modern' homes.

Jettmiester
06-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Check out Jeff Click for affordable modern thats also energy efficient.. I am having him build my home. I move in at the end of the month!

The Urbana Series by Jeff Click Homes | Modern, Energy Efficient, Affordable New Homes Edmond | Oklahoma City | Energy Star | Tax Credit (http://www.hellomodern.com)

dismayed
06-20-2010, 03:56 PM
I do like what Jeff Click is doing. It's sort of a modern take on the traditional ranch home.

Penny your energy costs question is a good one. I am not sure, but I do know that LCD privacy windows are becoming more common (when the glass is electrically charged the LCDs inside activate, bringing different levels of opacity to the glass). In addition to privacy without curtains at night I'm guessing they could be activated during the day to bring temperatures down:

c3CFTh2-ljQ

Other than that, and one of the architects here could answer better, but I am guessing that planning out the window placement would also have a big effect on energy costs. In some of the pictures/renderings above I think several appear to be southern exposures.

onthestrip
06-20-2010, 10:03 PM
Other than that, and one of the architects here could answer better, but I am guessing that planning out the window placement would also have a big effect on energy costs. In some of the pictures/renderings above I think several appear to be southern exposures.

Im sure youre right. I'd like to know the energy savings of a house that had most of the windows face the south for winter sun and then had a large tree to the west northwest of the house for shade in the summer.

Larry OKC
06-20-2010, 10:09 PM
While there can be a tremendous amount of energy loss thru more windows as opposed to less, they have made certain strides towards higher R factors etc. That improved technology can often come at a cost. As pointed out, sight placement etc can be a huge factor on energy costs too. Undergound homes and the like are certainly an option but the tradeoff there is more artificial light is required (but led and cfl's can help there too).

USG '60
06-21-2010, 07:35 AM
Does anyone know if there are any Usonian (FLW) homes here in OKC?

flintysooner
06-21-2010, 07:44 AM
Does anyone know if there are any Usonian (FLW) homes here in OKC?I forgot the name but there was a little addition over off Classen and north Bell Isle - not true Usonian because they'd need to be on an acre of land but close - and that little addition has several structures that have remained more or less unchanged.

Then there was a little addition near N W 50th and Rockwell that had several Usonian like homes - except not on an acre of land.

USG '60
06-21-2010, 07:54 AM
I forgot the name but there was a little addition over off Classen and north Bell Isle - not true Usonian because they'd need to be on an acre of land but close - and that little addition has several structures that have remained more or less unchanged.

Then there was a little addition near N W 50th and Rockwell that had several Usonian like homes - except not on an acre of land.

Some of them were just wonderful though they had their problems. I was just thinking that a re-birth of the esthetic but with modern technical improvement would be a great idea. Thoughts, anyone?

dedndcrusr
06-21-2010, 08:27 AM
I've noticed a few modern homes being built around the classen and NW 7th area. I'm glad to see some variety coming to OKC. One does get tiered of looking at all the cookie-cutter ranch homes filling all the new development.

earlywinegareth
06-21-2010, 08:35 AM
Modern seems to = horizontal and vertical lines...boxes and rectangles all over = not exciting but that's just me.

mheaton76
06-21-2010, 08:53 AM
Does anyone know if there are any Usonian (FLW) homes here in OKC?

The closest thing we have are a few homes by one of his protegees, Bruce Goff - there are some good examples in Norman, and OKC. See here:

Ralph's Photography - Architecture - OKLAHOMA - Bruce Goff - Norman - H. E. Ledbetter House (http://rbeuc.freesuperhost.com/english/bruce-goff_h.e-ledbetter-house.html)

MikeLucky
06-21-2010, 11:46 AM
It looks like there is one going up on 36th just north of Franklin in Norman... It's all concrete walls. It's right in front of what I believe is Bob Stoops' new crib...

USG '60
06-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Some of them were just wonderful though they had their problems. I was just thinking that a re-birth of the esthetic but with modern technical improvement would be a great idea. Thoughts, anyone?

I am a Goff nutcake and have been for 30 yrs. I have gotten to do repairs on a couple, one of which had some usonian features. So some of his ideas do lend themselves to inexpensive "modern" homesm but the magic in his work is in the details and the shaping of space, things that would not lend themselves to rapid, efficient construction. But there is nothing I would like better than to get a commission to design and build a Goffesque house with no buget limitations. Most of his houses are not really good for rearing children and I would imagine most of the houses were are discussing here are likely to have little kids, if not several.

flintysooner
06-21-2010, 09:57 PM
Well I really like the Usonian ideas about planning, nature, simplicity, human scale, natural materials, and affordability.

USG '60
06-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Well I really like the Usonian ideas about planning, nature, simplicity, human scale, natural materials, and affordability.
Well, heck, let's get some investors and get to work. :Smiley259

flintysooner
06-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Well, heck, let's get some investors and get to work. :Smiley259Actually I am although it is unlikely the project will be completed in my lifetime.

But I am rather more interested in the fundamental concepts that Wright discussed and how to apply those to our age and place.

Some people believe that Broadacre City is the antithesis of what we should be doing but perhaps it simply recognized the age of the automobile as the primary mode of transportation. I suspect it is as hard for us to imagine the transportation of the future as it is for us to imagine returning to animals.

The idea of every family having their own acre is interesting I think but seems to me to ignore the fact that some of us really do not want to take care of acre anymore. But the political and social idea of ownership as it relates to community seems very significant to me.

How to foster and nourish community seems as important to me now as ever.

mheaton76
06-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Most of his houses are not really good for rearing children and I would imagine most of the houses were are discussing here are likely to have little kids, if not several.

Man, that is the truth! Have you seen the Bavinger house in Norman? I love it, but those bedroom pods hanging from the central mast definitely aren't kid friendly.

BBatesokc
06-22-2010, 10:47 AM
How do energy costs compare between a typical traditional home and the ones with all the windows? When I was younger, I had my heart set on an underground home but never followed up.

Every time I go to my parents condo on the NW side I find myself daydreaming of an underground home. Their 6-car garage is underground. They have it sectioned off so two cars can park in it and the rest is an insulated room. What I love is regardless of the temperature outside, that back 4 car garage room is always about 72 degrees. I always remember that when we pay our electric bill!

USG '60
06-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Brian, I have no interest in any "planned city" whether by Wright, Pei or anyone else. I also am not concerned with houses having full acre yards. I am just enamored with the esthetics and simplicity of the Usonions. With todays technology and improved materials they could be made very tight and long lasting. We all learned from Wright's mistakes didn't we? :)

Yeah, Mike (I THINK it's Mike) sometimes Goff houses are hazardous to to Kids and sometimes they are vulnerable to them. I can't believe Bavinger raised a kid in the house but he (the son) has said it all just seemed normal to him. :)

dismayed
06-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Brian, I have no interest in any "planned city" whether by Wright, Pei or anyone else. I also am not concerned with houses having full acre yards. I am just enamored with the esthetics and simplicity of the Usonions. With todays technology and improved materials they could be made very tight and long lasting. We all learned from Wright's mistakes didn't we?

Love these thoughts and the Usonion/Wright houses.

Jettmiester
06-22-2010, 08:15 PM
I love how FLW used the low profile designs in his homes so to blend in with the environment. What happened with this concept? Seems all the newer houses are topped with these witch hat roofs. A realtor told me when I 1st moved to OKC area in Nov, that the higher the roof, the more desireable the area and was told Edmond had a requirement that all homes had to have these what I call Witch hat roofs. Who made up this rule that witch hat roofs are more desireable or upscale? I think its really the opposite. Who thinks seeing MORE of the roofing shingles is upscale?

I had the pleasure of seeing the Frank Lloyd Wright: From Within Outward exhibit at the Guggenheim in New York last July. I had taken a friend of mine with me who was not familiar with FLW and walked away awestruck.

Mikemarsh51
06-22-2010, 09:29 PM
My only gripe about these style houses would be the flat roof. Those modern styles are so cool. A flat roof is asking for trouble!

ljbab728
06-22-2010, 11:07 PM
Brian, I have no interest in any "planned city" whether by Wright, Pei or anyone else. I also am not concerned with houses having full acre yards. I am just enamored with the esthetics and simplicity of the Usonions. With todays technology and improved materials they could be made very tight and long lasting. We all learned from Wright's mistakes didn't we? :)

Yeah, Mike (I THINK it's Mike) sometimes Goff houses are hazardous to to Kids and sometimes they are vulnerable to them. I can't believe Bavinger raised a kid in the house but he (the son) has said it all just seemed normal to him. :)

Yes, I went to school with and graduated with his son. He always seemed like he was surviving very well.

USG '60
06-23-2010, 06:34 AM
I was thrilled a few years ago when Sarah Susanka started the Small House Movement. I thought it would catch on due to the economy at the time, but NOOOO, McMansions won out. It blows my mind. What a waste of materials, utilities and soul. It literally breaks my heart. I literally think it is impossible to give those huge monstrosities ANY feeling of having a soul, especially inside. If you have any pictures of one that does PLEASE post them and stun me.

ultimatesooner
06-23-2010, 10:02 AM
I love how FLW used the low profile designs in his homes so to blend in with the environment. What happened with this concept? Seems all the newer houses are topped with these witch hat roofs. A realtor told me when I 1st moved to OKC area in Nov, that the higher the roof, the more desireable the area and was told Edmond had a requirement that all homes had to have these what I call Witch hat roofs. Who made up this rule that witch hat roofs are more desireable or upscale? I think its really the opposite. Who thinks seeing MORE of the roofing shingles is upscale?

I had the pleasure of seeing the Frank Lloyd Wright: From Within Outward exhibit at the Guggenheim in New York last July. I had taken a friend of mine with me who was not familiar with FLW and walked away awestruck.

The steeper roofs reduce the impact of hail hitting the roof

USG '60
06-23-2010, 03:50 PM
The steeper roofs reduce the impact of hail hitting the roof

Hee, hee, that is why there was no hail damage in McMansion Edmond. Better roofs can be made for flat and mildly sloping roofs. And no roof is perfect.

edcrunk
06-28-2010, 01:52 AM
I have a close friend that is moving towards building these in midtown... Or wherever one would wish.

bluedogok
06-28-2010, 10:46 PM
My only gripe about these style houses would be the flat roof. Those modern styles are so cool. A flat roof is asking for trouble!
Flat roof matererials are much better than they used to be but ultimately it comes down to installation. Not all have flat roofs either, most here in Austin do not.

iPhone typing sucks, when the site is back up clean I will expand on a few of the posts and have some pics.

Bunty
07-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Norman and Stillwater have some. Tulsa is loaded down with em.
Here's pictures of one in Stillwater, inside and out: http://www.moderntulsa.net/2009/07/13/stillwater-modern-for-sale/

andimthomas
07-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Here's pictures of one in Stillwater, inside and out: http://www.moderntulsa.net/2009/07/13/stillwater-modern-for-sale/

In my opinion that's kind of an eye sore. My eyes literally hurt when I looked at the pictures.
I found a really nice modern/contemporary for sale in NW OKC a few months ago. I'll have to search for it again. But it was a great property.

USG'60
07-06-2010, 06:45 AM
Yep, that little number has several "issues."

CuatrodeMayo
07-06-2010, 03:27 PM

It's definitely in need of some love, but it has some serious pontential.