View Full Version : Live after Five

OKC Heel
06-18-2010, 09:03 AM
I'm from the Raleigh area in NC and something we had there that i think would work even better in OKC is every friday (spring-summer) starting at 5pm, there was a section of a downtown plaza that was set up for concerts and some concessions/beer vendors. It was a great way to kick off the weekend and draw people into downtown or keep people downtown after work and it was always just a really good time. Has any such thing ever been proposed for downtown?

soonerguru
06-18-2010, 09:14 AM
I'm from the Raleigh area in NC and something we had there that i think would work even better in OKC is every friday (spring-summer) starting at 5pm, there was a section of a downtown plaza that was set up for concerts and some concessions/beer vendors. It was a great way to kick off the weekend and draw people into downtown or keep people downtown after work and it was always just a really good time. Has any such thing ever been proposed for downtown?

This is a fabulous idea! The only problem I see is the choice of artists. Some of the concerts in Kerr Park are not exactly pulsing with excitement.

What would be great is to actually get a sponsor(s) to pay name acts to perform.

MGE1977
06-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Albuquerque had a similar deal when I was growing up and perhaps still does. It was called Summerfest and every Saturday evening was an ethnic theme. African night(reggae bands and beer, jerk chicken), Italian, Irish, German, etc. This lasted all season and local vendors artists and musicians had a stage with thousands of attendees. I have often felt that the Brick, or even the gardens would have been a great location for this. There is something great about the summer, some good Bob M. covers and a cold beer. I think that coupled with the evening shade of downtown its magic in the making.

Might detract from the restaraunt bus. in the Brick though, ya think?

This far south, maybe some Cajun and Zydeco? Of Course maybe some local Czech imports similar to Yukon. Just spitballing.

metro
06-18-2010, 11:07 AM
Yes, they do Lunch in the Park every Friday at Kerr Park. They also do Live in The Park (was in Myriad Gardens), I think they are doing Centennial Park now on Sunday Evenings, but no nothing on Friday evenings is being done currently.

metro
06-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Get out of the office and enjoy your lunch break in Couch Park/ Kerr Park with SoundBites in the Park. Happening every Friday in May and June, the concerts will feature a wide variety of musical acts ranging from rock to country to jazz. Generously sponsored by SandRidge Energy and the Skirvin Hilton, the concerts will run from 11:30 to 1. Each week will feature a different Downtown sponsor with great giveaways and prizes. Join us May 7 to hear music from the Roland Bowling Band and enjoy giveaways by the Oklahoma City Redhawks. Visit Downtown OKC > Home (http://www.downtownokc.com) or call 235-3500 for more information.

There is also Shakespeare in the Park on Friday and Saturday nights.

http://www.oklahomashakespeare.com/

andy157
06-18-2010, 11:11 AM
In its day The Sunset Serenade at the Waterford drew a pretty good croud

OKC Heel
06-18-2010, 11:18 AM
All those things are fine and good but not the same as a "happy hour" downtown to kickoff the weekend. No admission, not something you have to rush back to the office from, but something that says, "i'm on my time now"

Paseofreak
06-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Knoxville, Tennessee has this. Sundown In The City - Knoxville, TN 2010 (http://www.sundowninthecity.com/) I think the city ponies up for electricity and extra police. All else is supported by sponsors. Ashley Capps (AC Entertainment), one of the Bonnaroo promoters puts this together. Draws 10 to 12K to the market square on Thursday evenings. Really nice events. Absolutely free to attend.

jpmoney
06-18-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm also from Raleigh, NC. While I never went to any Live after 5 events, the city (along with the local rock station and other sponsers) was recently putting on Sat. afternoon/night concerts during the summers (usually with washed up '80s/'90s bands--with some local acts to open) called Downtown Live. They were also free and were fun, but now the city has built a small amphitheater downtown, thus eliminating the free shows.

OKC Heel
06-18-2010, 12:56 PM
jp, you a Chairman of the Board fan? Days like today, i'd love to be able to go downtown watch General Johnson put on a show and drink a cold one. How long have you been in OKC?

barnold
06-18-2010, 12:58 PM
Beale st. in Memphis! Blocked off and packed with people going to the different venues. Great times. Wish we had something like that.

OKC@heart
06-18-2010, 01:19 PM
In Houston, they have a similar event on Thursdays and Friday evenings in the summer downtown. They are very well attended and great events! Not sure if Discovery green has taken over as the venue location or not. It used to be in Jones Plaza across from the Alley Theater and the Angelica.

sgray
06-18-2010, 06:21 PM

OKC Heel, we are definitely on the same page on this one. I work in the concert production industry and I have done lots of events back east and I know what you are talking about. Seems like so many parts of our downtown areas are dead as a ghosttown after 5pm.

I think part of the idea for the open areas between Harkins and Sonic in bricktown was for small bands to set-up and play, but I don't think they put much thought into it other than leaving the area open.

jpmoney
06-18-2010, 08:36 PM
jp, you a Chairman of the Board fan? Days like today, i'd love to be able to go downtown watch General Johnson put on a show and drink a cold one. How long have you been in OKC?

Not exactly, but it's definitely tolerable once I have had a few. Plus, I'm not opposed to being where there are many fine lookin' ladies. I know they've been to that Triangle Beach Music festival a lot in Garner. I've been here for about 2 years now, had to get my meteorology career going. Hopefully one day I'll be back east permanently.

Here is some info about Downtown Live so you can get a feel of what it's like...

Downtown Live (http://www.raleighdowntownlive.com/about.php)

Also, here is some more stuff on the new amphitheater downtown...

Downtown Raleigh Amphitheater - RaleighSkyline.com – Original Photography from the City of Raleigh, North Carolina by Matt Robinson (http://raleighskyline.com/content/2010/06/07/downtown-raleigh-amphitheater/)

Hopefully this can give some insight to anyone in this area to try to build off of, and bring something to the area we all can enjoy!

ljbab728
06-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Concert series 'Lower Bricktown Live' begins in Oklahoma City | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/concert-series-lower-bricktown-live-begins-in-oklahoma-city/article/3469216)

sgray
06-19-2010, 12:45 AM
Concert series 'Lower Bricktown Live' begins in Oklahoma City | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/concert-series-lower-bricktown-live-begins-in-oklahoma-city/article/3469216)

Wow! A whole one-night a week, four a whopping two hours! And it's not even on the weekend or friday. What a great idea...I'm out.

ljbab728
06-19-2010, 12:53 AM
Wow! A whole one-night a week, four a whopping two hours! And it's not even on the weekend or friday. What a great idea...I'm out.

I think the original post was about an event in another city which was one night a week which we should try to simulate. I'm sorry you're not impressed, but it's a start. There are expenses to something like this and it has to be shown to be at least somewhat attended before being expanded. If you're out, you're someone who waits for someone else to popularize something and certainly won't be helping to show that it will work, then.

sgray
06-19-2010, 01:06 AM
I think the original post was about an event in another city which was one night a week which we should try to simulate. I'm sorry you're not impressed, but it's a start. There are expenses to something like this and it has to be shown to be at least somewhat attended before being expanded. If you're out you certainly won't be helping to show that it will work, then.

Ha ha, yeah, as I said in an earlier post, I work in the concert production industry, so I see what works well...It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out though...I don't see many people "test the water" by putting on a show on the days of least expected attendance, you know? BTW- I think you meant duplicate rather than simulate. You will notice that the original poster was commenting on a GREAT IDEA to bring to OKC...I STRONGLY agree with the original post. And, of course, as is typical in OKC, we must continue to try and "ram the square peg into the round hole" by trying to prove that people come out on Thursdays, not on the weekend. I mean, who in their right mind would have a show on friday or saturday night??? That's just dumb! People don't come out and play on weekends. Silly wabbits!

He he...what a hoot. I'm glad you posted that link, though. I was wondering who, if anyone, was using that area down in bricktown.

ljbab728
06-19-2010, 01:16 AM
Ha ha, yeah, as I said in an earlier post, I work in the concert production industry, so I see what works well. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out though. BTW- I think you meant duplicate rather than simulate. You will notice that the original poster was commenting on a GREAT IDEA to bring to OKC...I STRONGLY agree with the original post. And, of course, as is typical in OKC, we must continue to try and "ram the square peg into the round hole" by trying to prove that people come out on Thursdays, not on the weekend. I mean, who in their right mind would have a show on friday or saturday night??? That's just dumb! People don't come out and play on weekends. Silly wabbits!

He he...what a hoot. I'm glad you posted that link, though. I was wondering who, if anyone, was using that area down in bricktown.

OK, so just blast the whole idea then. I don't know why they picked Thursday nights but I doubt that it was a random decision made without regard to who might be able to attend. People from the ACM are involved and they probably have a little knowledge and imput about what is happening. Some of them might even know as much as you. I still contend it's a start and if you don't want to attend or support it, that's up to you. You will only be lessening the chance of success or expansion.

By the way, thank you for trying to correct me, but I did mean simulate.

simulate: Definition, Synonyms from Answers.com (http://www.answers.com/topic/simulate)

sgray
06-19-2010, 01:25 AM
OK, so just blast the whole idea then. I don't know why they picked Thursday nights but I doubt that it was a random decision made without regard to who might be able to attend. People from the ACM are involved and they probably have a little knowledge and imput about what is happening. Some of them might even know as much as you. I still contend it's a start and if you don't want to attend or support it, that's up to you. You will only be lessening the chance of success or expansion.

Ha ha, wow. Half of my post was just poking fun at the situation, but someone is very angry for a friday night. GRRRR!!! Do something fun, chill, and fuggedaboudit!

Actually, I'm quite stupid and don't know much at all. It's just fun to sit back and have a laugh or two at how OKC tries to "reinvent the wheel" all the time. Very funny.

And yes, I think the appropriate term would be to duplicate or other similar word. Sorry, it just stuck out like a sore thumb. No biggie.

ljbab728
06-19-2010, 01:34 AM
Ha ha, wow. Half of my post was just poking fun at the situation, but someone is very angry for a friday night. GRRRR!!! Do something fun, chill, and fuggedaboudit!

Actually, I'm quite stupid and don't know much at all. It's just fun to sit back and have a laugh or two at how OKC tries to "reinvent the wheel" all the time. Very funny.

I'm not angry at all. I just get tired of everyone trying to nitpick and find fault with everything. You have some valid points but that doesn't mean they have a terrible idea and it will never work or grow. OKC isn't reinventing anything. There are people involved who may actually have some valid ideas occasionally.

And when I am using the language that I intended, I don't appreciate someone suggesting that I don't know what I meant.

sgray
06-19-2010, 01:43 AM
I'm not angry at all. I just get tired of everyone trying to nitpick and find fault with everything. You have some valid points but that doesn't mean they have a terrible idea and it will never work or grow. OKC isn't reinventing anything. There are people involved who may actually have some valid ideas occasionally.

Fair enough. Yeah, forums are like that. You know, it's a place to discuss...both good and bad...and everyone has their point of view on stuff.

I have witnessed OKC trying to reinvent lots of things...I have a mental list...which I would be happy to continue on a PM or another thread, as I would not want to change the subject on this thread.

PennyQuilts
06-19-2010, 07:42 AM

And when I am using the language that I intended, I don't appreciate someone suggesting that I don't know what I meant.

ljbab, I appreciate your posting the link and the response was incredibly boorish. He could have made whatever point he wanted to make without being rude. Some people aren't here to discuss ways to make things better - seems like they are far more interested in being an ass.

And btw, I am not angry this Saturday morning. I am just calling it as I see it. That tone and attitude just came out of left field - I thought we were having a civil conversation, here. It sure took an unexpectedly negative and ugly turn.

Laramie
06-19-2010, 08:13 AM

Great idea :busterbun this is the kind of positive lifebood we need around here to get that everyready bunny to keep going.

The weather here is not as sunny and bright as Raleigh; however, this would be a charming way to retain fiber and fabric of our city for the seasons in which we do have good weather days.

Welcome aboard your ideas and don't let the nay-sayers discourage you!

animeGhost
06-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Yo I think u guys got this dude wrong! I dont think hes tryin to bash on the city, but its proven no matter what form of entertainment it is it will always have higher attendance on the weekend. Restaurants, bars, clubs all these businesses see their highest attendance on the weekends. What makes that any different for a concert. I think what he is trying to say is this city needs to completely stop half assing on things like this that have the potential to be something special.

OSUMom
06-19-2010, 10:56 AM
As more people live in and close to downtown a nighttime musical offering would be popular. Maybe after they finish the Myriad Gardens. Will the water stage still be there? That would be a nice place to see a concert in the summer. Isn't that where they did Shakespeare in the Park?

The Kerr Park Soundbites at lunch on Fridays is nice, and I usually go check it out for a few minutes after lunch, but it has one big problem. In summer in OK those stone seats are hotter then heck. A little shade over the seating area would be a massive improvement. The last year they had the last performance in the evening. I don't see them doing that this year. Not sure why.

Other musical things, occasionally Leadership Square will have music at lunch, usually when they do it's on Fridays. Edgar Cruz plays there a lot. The downtown library also has music on Thursdays at lunch.

It would nice to see the musical events go on into the evening. But it will only work if there are enough people living close by.

PennyQuilts
06-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Yo I think u guys got this dude wrong! I dont think hes tryin to bash on the city, but its proven no matter what form of entertainment it is it will always have higher attendance on the weekend. Restaurants, bars, clubs all these businesses see their highest attendance on the weekends. What makes that any different for a concert. I think what he is trying to say is this city needs to completely stop half assing on things like this that have the potential to be something special.

There are many different ways to say what he might have been trying to say. He chose an incredibly boorish way guaranteed to shut down discussion if the other party hadn't been cool and patient.

sgray
06-19-2010, 02:33 PM
ljbab, I appreciate your posting the link and the response was incredibly boorish. He could have made whatever point he wanted to make without being rude. Some people aren't here to discuss ways to make things better - seems like they are far more interested in being an ass.

And btw, I am not angry this Saturday morning. I am just calling it as I see it. That tone and attitude just came out of left field - I thought we were having a civil conversation, here. It sure took an unexpectedly negative and ugly turn.

Explosions of one's personal feelings will bring any debate to a grinding halt and does little to contribute to the discussion of the forum. In this case, the other party was not "cool and patient":

OK, so just blast the whole idea then.

Exercising one's right to their opinion on a given matter should not be met with personal attacks:

you're someone who waits for someone else to popularize something and certainly won't be helping to show that it will work, then.

Some people aren't here to discuss ways to make things better - seems like they are far more interested in being an ass.

Evidence exists to suggest that the poster would have had a problem with any post that was not in complete support of anything being discussed:

I just get tired of everyone trying to nitpick and find fault with everything.
In order to have constructive discussion, all points-of-view must be considered. If someone points out fault AND states why it is faulted, then it is constructive criticism.

The post by PennyQuilts is hypocritical given the name-calling, and I would call on the moderator(s) to handle that. My posts contained nothing against the rules of the forum, however, I did make the comment to ljbab that he/she seemed very angry. If my observation was offensive, then I apologize.

The content of my post on the Newsok article indicated that I disagree with the set-up of the thursday shows for the reasons stated. Furthermore, I stand behind my opinion on the original post that the event set-up in Releigh, NC, would be an AWESOME addition to OKC. There is a reason it is set-up the way it is. I would also add that in my business, I have been burned by more Oklahoma promoters trying to do weird things with events than I have anywhere else. I think the wise words here would be, if it works well the way it is set-up, then we should take a close look at why it works well that way.

PennyQuilts
06-19-2010, 08:39 PM
The post by PennyQuilts is hypocritical given the name-calling, and I would call on the moderator(s) to handle that.

And the name called was what, again?

ljbab728
06-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Evidence exists to suggest that the poster would have had a problem with any post that was not in complete support of anything being discussed:

I seen to remember telling you that you had some valid points. Maybe I didn't make that clear enough or you overlooked it. I don't totally disagree with you. I'm just a little more willing to give something a chance to develop without totally dismissing it. And nothing I said was any more of a personal attack than suggesting that I was not "cool and patient". I merely stated basically that your statements would do nothing to help this new event succeed and that would be true of anyone who was publicly degrading it.

betts
06-20-2010, 05:56 AM
Isn't "Thursday the new Friday"? My kids certainly consider it a night to go out. I know the Art Museum has their rooftop night on Thursday and I believe it is very well attended.

Paseofreak
06-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Ha ha, yeah, as I said in an earlier post, I work in the concert production industry, so I see what works well...It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out though...I don't see many people "test the water" by putting on a show on the days of least expected attendance, you know? BTW- I think you meant duplicate rather than simulate. You will notice that the original poster was commenting on a GREAT IDEA to bring to OKC...I STRONGLY agree with the original post. And, of course, as is typical in OKC, we must continue to try and "ram the square peg into the round hole" by trying to prove that people come out on Thursdays, not on the weekend. I mean, who in their right mind would have a show on friday or saturday night??? That's just dumb! People don't come out and play on weekends. Silly wabbits!

Ashley Capps, one of the founders of Bonnaroo did it in Knoxville, TN on Thursdays and draws 10 to 12K routinely. Just sayin'.

PennyQuilts
06-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Ashley Capps, one of the founders of Bonnaroo did it in Knoxville, TN on Thursdays and draws 10 to 12K routinely. Just sayin'.

I like your avatar.

Paseofreak
06-20-2010, 10:02 AM
I like your avatar.

Thanks, photo was taken in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge shortly after I begrudgingly came to Oklahoma. The photo has become iconic for me of a whole bunch of unexpected things that have made me an Oklahoma, OKC and Paseo flagwaver for life. Gawd I love it here!

PennyQuilts
06-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Thanks, photo was taken in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge shortly after I begrudgingly came to Oklahoma. The photo has become iconic for me of a whole bunch of unexpected things that have made me an Oklahoma, OKC and Paseo flagwaver for life. Gawd I love it here!

It's lovely. I love the Wichita Mountains and agree with your assessment of our home.

Spartan
06-21-2010, 12:08 AM
This idea for a Live after Five reminds me of an idea I floated a few months ago after reading in a mag about Oak Cliff:

A Downtown ontheRange: The Better Block Project: Complete streets (http://downtownontherange.blogspot.com/2010/05/better-block-project-complete-streets.html)

Live after Five could be coordinated with a low-budget Complete Streets project. We could transform the SandRidge block.