View Full Version : Sushi Downtown

z28james
06-16-2010, 07:51 PM
I was listening to the Sports Animal the other day and Traber was talking about a Sushi place that no only sells regular sushi, but other non sushi rolls for people who don't like fish like Mexican rolls. Any ideas?

onthestrip
06-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Pachinko Parlor. Just east of Iguana on 9th. Very good and unique. They have some typical fish sushi but also have stuff like a philly cheese steak roll with slices of beef and cheese and an mexican type roll with chorizo. They have half priced rolls from 4-6 throughout the week. Nice patio too.

mooshie
06-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Pachinko Parlor isn't really downtown, but it's pretty close. The only sushi place downtown that I can think of is Park Harvey Sushi.

OKCMallen
06-17-2010, 10:02 AM
Pachinko Parlor isn't really downtown, but it's pretty close. The only sushi place downtown that I can think of is Park Harvey Sushi.

It's OK, but I think any place that is going to survive there needs more accessible food with a heavy focus on being a bar.

BBatesokc
06-18-2010, 02:35 PM
Ate at Pachinko Parlor today with friends. Really neat place and the food was pretty good too. We did the soup, fried green beans (excellent) and shared 6 types of sushi rolls. All pretty good except the Crab Rangoon Roll ~ way too much breading.

Took a pic (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31388973&l=1e683fbace&id=1283820411).

Casey
06-18-2010, 06:13 PM
The green onion sprinkled everywhere looks weird.

JuJuBeans
07-19-2010, 11:31 PM
and that's way too much rice and I can tell the texture of the rice is not how it's supposed to be, lol! American sushi! There's also In the Raw, but I heard it was garbage. I've only had In the Raw in Tulsa though back in the day, and it was pretty decent, but if you want real sushi or sashimi I'd stick to Tokyo.

rfjeep12
07-20-2010, 03:38 PM
been to pachinko multiple times. the crab rangoon does havea little to much breading but is still wonderful! also, they normally have a few specialty rolls that arent on the menu. We have tried most of the menu & have only found 1-2 items we didnt like! Definitely worth a try, just to experience something different. and i totally agree, the patio is very nice!

yessir69
07-20-2010, 04:09 PM
The one that is really downtown is Park Harvey Sushi. It's actually really good. They have FINALLY started running lunch specials which are much cheaper and come out really quick.

onthestrip
07-20-2010, 05:36 PM
been to pachinko multiple times. the crab rangoon does havea little to much breading but is still wonderful! also, they normally have a few specialty rolls that arent on the menu. We have tried most of the menu & have only found 1-2 items we didnt like! Definitely worth a try, just to experience something different. and i totally agree, the patio is very nice!

The Crab Rangoon is a must get for me. Its like they fried a whole roll and then sliced it up. And with the dipping sauce it makes for a great unusual sushi roll.

OKCMallen
07-21-2010, 08:04 AM
The one that is really downtown is Park Harvey Sushi. It's actually really good. They have FINALLY started running lunch specials which are much cheaper and come out really quick.

I second this. I gave it another shot yesterday, and you can choose 2 rolls from about 6, I think, for $10. Not a bad deal for sushi! The place could actually be pretty fun if you lived nearby.

Dave Cook
07-26-2010, 09:53 PM
I wouldn't recommend Pachinko Parlor.

But then again, I get a little freaked out by all caucasian-staffed sushi places.

I mean, it's like watching a NASCAR event with all Asian drivers. I'm sure they seem to know what they're doing....but come on.

MustangGT
09-14-2010, 07:35 PM
In the Raw in Bricktown has a great menu and the food quality is super.

EBAH
09-21-2010, 07:40 PM
I wouldn't recommend Pachinko Parlor.

But then again, I get a little freaked out by all caucasian-staffed sushi places.

I mean, it's like watching a NASCAR event with all Asian drivers. I'm sure they seem to know what they're doing....but come on.

I liked the food at Pachinko quite a bit, but it aint really downtown and it aint sushi! I mean, no Nigiri, no sashimi, and really no raw fish to speak of at all. Im sorry, but when I think sushi Im thinking light, but packed with energy, and very clean and subtle. The rolls at Pachinko are very seasoned, overly complex, and almost all cooked. There should actually be a law (in my fussy perfect world) that a restaurant incapable of presenting a slice of fresh raw fish (maybe my favorite thing on planet earth) is not allowed to use the word sushi to describe their food. That being said, their wasabi mashed potatoes are pretty bitchin.

HOT ROD
09-24-2010, 07:05 AM
here here!

BBatesokc
09-24-2010, 07:19 AM
The wife and I decided to check out Pachinko Parlor the other day for their 4-6pm 1/2 price sushi Happy Hour. We were shocked when we showed up at 5:30pm and literally nobody was on the patio and there were only 2 tables with patrons.

We decided to sit on the patio since it was so nice out. The atmosphere was great (until we experienced not one, but two, freight trains going by with their horns blowing! It was seriously almost painful).

We did 4 'sushi' rolls (which is way too much for two people). We ordered their version of a spicy tuna (Mr. Limpet), the coconut roll, Mr. Roboto and the Philly Cheesesteak roll. Came to about $24, which is a good price for that much sushi.

The problem though was the 'sushi' just wasn't that good and bordered on bad. The Mr. Limpet was actually pretty good and we enjoyed it. The coconut roll could have been okay but the coconut wasn't browned much and was too raw and chewy. The Mr. Roboto was just too weird - the balsamic sauce made the whole thing gooey and just not right with raw fish. I've done the Philly twice before and once it was good and once it was blah. This time it was blah again.

Another thing I can't stand about this place is they obviously 'flavor' their water and its pretty disgusting.

On a positive the atmosphere inside and out is pretty cool and the wait staff has always been very friendly.

That said, I doubt we'll go back unless its with a group that insists.

As for the comment
Pachinko Parlor isn't really downtown, but it's pretty close.

I think most average citizens would consider the location 'downtown.'

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/8629/picture138.png

HOT ROD
09-27-2010, 07:19 PM
the sushi looks good.

Why do freight trains still honk even though they are in their own right of way in downtown? I could see them doing some 'small' honks but why go all out on the horns in downtown OKC - as if they were in a shared or pedestrian ROW zone or crossing?. ...

Maybe the train conductors are just excited to be in OKC? ????

MustangGT
09-27-2010, 09:04 PM
It is a requirement of the FRA's to sound a warning at every grade crossing.

HOT ROD
09-28-2010, 12:17 AM
but that is my point, in downtown there aren't any at grade crossings in the N-S BNSF corridor, the entire ROW is grade separated. So why are the trains going so ballistic with the horns anyway?

metro
09-28-2010, 08:54 AM
What do you mean there aren't any "at grade" crossings, nearly all of them are from NW 13th to NW 6th or 5th. Yes most of the train operators are annoying, as talked about in the "train noise/quiet zone" thread, some of them are nice and just do it sporadically, while some of them wale on it constantly for a mile or so. It's annoying, especially since the one's who insist on honking a mile or so straight are usually the ones coming through at 3am in the morning. I live a mile away from the tracks on the other side of downtown and I can hear them wailing on it about every hour or two in the middle of the night through 10 inch thick concrete walls. I'll be so glad when the quiet zone is finished in about 2 years.

In regards to Panchinko Parlor, I think it's one of OKC's most underrated, trend-setting restaurants. This is something you'd only find in a handful of cities. The food is excellent although some of the fusion rolls I could see how you may not like it since it is unusual. I can assure you Brian that you probably caught them on a slow night, usually the place is packed and the 1/2 price happy hour is the way to go. I wouldn't pay full price either. They also have options where you pay a flat fee like $75pp or something and the chef will make you a custom multi-course meal for the evening.

onthestrip
09-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Im a bit surprised at the negative comments towards Pachinko. I think its a cozy, cool restaurant with a great patio. As for the food, nearly everything Ive tried I like. There are a few rolls that I wasnt that into, but overall I say its very good. Unconventionally good. You people do realize that by serving rolls with chorizo in them or pesto sauce on a roll, Pachinko is going to be a little different than a Sushi Neko? BTW, the water is cucumber flavored. Im sure they would get you normal tap water if you asked, Bates.

Platemaker
09-28-2010, 12:08 PM
Im a bit surprised at the negative comments towards Pachinko. I think its a cozy, cool restaurant with a great patio. As for the food, nearly everything Ive tried I like. There are a few rolls that I wasnt that into, but overall I say its very good. Unconventionally good. You people do realize that by serving rolls with chorizo in them or pesto sauce on a roll, Pachinko is going to be a little different than a Sushi Neko? BTW, the water is cucumber flavored. Im sure they would get you normal tap water if you asked, Bates.

I second this... Pachinko is obviously fusion sushi.

Also... Park Harvey sushi is pretty darn good if you ask me... and the Thunder Roll is amazing.

MustangGT
09-28-2010, 12:23 PM
but that is my point, in downtown there aren't any at grade crossings in the N-S BNSF corridor, the entire ROW is grade separated. So why are the trains going so ballistic with the horns anyway?

Where Pachinko is, is an at grade crossing thus necessitating the horn, so is tenth, eighth, seventh. The ROW does not go above grade until sixth street overpass and continues thru downtown.

HOT ROD
09-28-2010, 03:07 PM
What do you mean there aren't any "at grade" crossings, nearly all of them are from NW 13th to NW 6th or 5th. Yes most of the train operators are annoying, as talked about in the "train noise/quiet zone" thread, some of them are nice and just do it sporadically, while some of them wale on it constantly for a mile or so. It's annoying, especially since the one's who insist on honking a mile or so straight are usually the ones coming through at 3am in the morning. I live a mile away from the tracks on the other side of downtown and I can hear them wailing on it about every hour or two in the middle of the night through 10 inch thick concrete walls. I'll be so glad when the quiet zone is finished in about 2 years.

In regards to Panchinko Parlor, I think it's one of OKC's most underrated, trend-setting restaurants. This is something you'd only find in a handful of cities. The food is excellent although some of the fusion rolls I could see how you may not like it since it is unusual. I can assure you Brian that you probably caught them on a slow night, usually the place is packed and the 1/2 price happy hour is the way to go. I wouldn't pay full price either. They also have options where you pay a flat fee like $75pp or something and the chef will make you a custom multi-course meal for the evening.

maybe you and I have a different grasp of what "at grade" is. I was under the impression that "at grade" meant ground level. I was also under the impression that the BNSF N-S corridor is elevated in downtown OKC. Im not sure when it reaches grade though, perhaps it does when you get to 6th. ...

If the BNSF N-S corridor is indeed elevated, then there are no at grade crossings - which is why I ask the question of the excessive honking. ....

kevinpate
09-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Hot Rod, though some portions are elevated, there are also numerous at grade crossings near DT

HOT ROD
09-28-2010, 03:43 PM
thanks Kevin, I understand now. I had thought the elevated continued up for a while further.