View Full Version : World Cup noise

MadMonk
06-15-2010, 08:55 AM
Anyone else here tired of hearing the constant buzz-noise from the fan's horns during the World Cup broadcasts? It's extremely annoying on TV and I feel sorry for anyone in the stadium having to listen to this during the games.
Vuvuzela - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vuvuzela)

Martin
06-15-2010, 09:02 AM
check this out... (http://gizmodo.com/5563522/simple-software-can-filter-out-that-vuvuzela-whine-from-world-cup-broadcasts)

-M

earlywinegareth
06-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Yeah I have to turn the volume down...sounds like a hoard of angry bees.

Also, what's up with the empty seats?

MadMonk
06-15-2010, 11:12 AM
check this out... (http://gizmodo.com/5563522/simple-software-can-filter-out-that-vuvuzela-whine-from-world-cup-broadcasts)

-M
Nice, but ESPN could/should do this. I can't stand watching more than 30 minutes of the broadcast with the sound up. With the sound down, I miss the commentary. :doh:

mugofbeer
06-15-2010, 11:16 AM
I heard a sports broadcast the other day that the South Africans are considering a ban on the horns inside stadiums.

Lord Helmet
06-15-2010, 11:34 AM
Doesn't bother me a bit. Its part of South African culture and should be a part of their world cup IMHO.

MadMonk
06-15-2010, 11:52 AM
It's good they are celebrating their culture, but you can have too much of a good thing. Besides, I'm not in SA. I don't want to hear that crap all during the game.

Wambo36
06-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Doesn't bother me a bit. Its part of South African culture and should be a part of their world cup IMHO.

Not sure about South African culture. The first time I was exposed to these was when we took the kids to see the US women vs the Mexican women in Dallas about 7 years ago. The noise from the Mexican fans(probably 3/4 of the stadium)with these horns and drums was deafening. Of course we bought some for the kids so the neighbors back home wouldn't miss out.

MadMonk
06-15-2010, 02:49 PM
It'll be interesting to see if any of these annoying things make it into something like an NFL or MLB game. They'd probably get broken by annoyed fans sitting nearby. Apparently they are all the rage in Great Britain right now.

possumfritter
06-16-2010, 08:23 AM
I bet the horns will be banned for the championship match, and I bet SA will never get to host another World Cup Championship ever again.

BBatesokc
06-16-2010, 08:47 AM
I went to a friend's house and he had it playing outside on a TV. He had the TV's volume off and had his outdoor speakers connected to his computer and was streaming audio from some site that was doing live commentary without any of the buzz noise. I guess it was either someone inside a fairly sound proof room at the event or someone simply watching the live broadcast in a studio and doing commentary while watching the feed. It was better than the buzzing noise, but odd not to hear any noises from the players or crowd.

metro
06-16-2010, 10:15 AM
I bet the horns will be banned for the championship match, and I bet SA will never get to host another World Cup Championship ever again.

Yep, bet they wont be hosting anytime soon.

fuzzytoad
06-16-2010, 10:45 AM

Yep, bet they wont be hosting anytime soon.

maybe, but I doubt it..

" FIFA president Sepp Blatter revealed this week that broadcasters want the instrument banned at next year's World Cup.

But to his eternal credit, the Fifa chief also sprang to the defence of the humble trumpet, saying people must accept that it is part and parcel of football in South Africa.

"That is what African and South Africa football is all about - noise, excitement, dancing, shouting and enjoyment," said the most powerful man in world football. "
-from an article written on Jun 24, 2009 - about the horns disrupting broadcasts during the Confederations Cup

The Tiny Plastic Horn That Will Ruin The World Cup (http://deadspin.com/5302062/the-tiny-plastic-horn-that-will-ruin-the-world-cup)

MadMonk
06-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Well, the only thing one can hope for is that the ratings reflect people's annoyance with it. Maybe then ESPN will get the message.

Lord Helmet
06-16-2010, 12:17 PM
It'll be interesting to see if any of these annoying things make it into something like an NFL or MLB game. They'd probably get broken by annoyed fans sitting nearby. Apparently they are all the rage in Great Britain right now.

they are sold at MLS matches now. I can't see them making the jump to one of the more popular sports though. Drums and horns etc are pretty common in Soccer though.