View Full Version : BP Oil Spill compared to 9-11

PennyQuilts
06-14-2010, 07:40 PM
The following is an article focusing primarily on some British response to Obama's comments about the BP oilspill. It goes into a lot of things that are, personally, not my focus, right now, but some people might care to comment.

The part that I am keying in on is Obama's comparing the oil spill - in a bit of an indirect way - with 9-11. I think they are making a bit more of it than he intended, don't get me wrong, but it bothers me that he would even bring it up. He is using 9-11 in a way that, IMO, is less than respectful. I honestly think the man doesn't get a lot of things. I guess it is one of those things you either "get" or you don't.

BP OIL SPILL: Fury as Obama compares Gulf leak to 9/11 attacks | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1286245/BP-OIL-SPILL-Fury-Obama-compares-Gulf-leak-9-11-attacks.html)

9/11 families' fury as Obama compares BP oil spill to Twin Towers attack
By Daniel Bates

British families of 9/11 victims described Barack Obama as ‘cruel’ yesterday for comparing the terrorist outrage to the BP oil spill.
The U.S. president said there were ‘echoes’ between the Gulf of Mexico disaster and the Al Qaeda suicide attacks which killed 2,995 people, including 67 Britons.

He said that just as the events of September 11, 2001, had profoundly shaped ‘our view of our vulnerabilities and our foreign policy’, so the oil disaster would shape thinking on the environment and energy for years to come.

Those who lost loved ones when terrorists flew hijacked planes into the Twin Towers of New York’s World Trade Centre said Mr Obama’s remarks were yet another attempt to slur the UK.

Joy Bennett, 66, a mother of two from Amersham in Buckinghamshire whose son Oli, a 29-year-old financial journalist, died, said: ‘It is an unfair parallel and is really a cruel thing to say.

‘I can see what he is trying to say but to compare a manmade deliberate terrorist attack to something that is an accident is absolutely wrong. Mr Obama seems intent on causing as much offence to Britain as possible.

‘By saying this he is distracting from what his government is doing, or not doing enough of.’
Charles Berkeley from Shrewsbury, who lost his 37-year-old son Graham, an IT consultant, on 9/11, added: ‘I don’t think it is a fair parallel and I can understand why people feel aggrieved.’

Further criticism came from America. Ed Kowalski, of the U.S-based 9/11 Families for a Secure America Foundation, said: ‘It is a very cheap attempt to draw attention away from himself. He is desperate to be able to pull attention away from his failings.’

'These were terrorist attacks, these 9/11 murders, not something caused by people trying to make money.’

And Jack Lynch, the father of a fireman who died, said: ‘To compare an environmental accident, if that’s what you call it, to a premeditated terrorist attack is ridiculous.’

Relations between London and Washington have cooled because of Mr Obama’s anti-British rhetoric over the oil spill, forcing him to phone David Cameron to reassure him of his support.

The president has been under increasing pressure over his handling of the disaster and is this week attempting to prove he is in control of events. He visited Louisiana, the hardest-hit state, for the fourth time in recent weeks yesterday and will address the American people tonight.

BP executives will give evidence to Congress today, while chief executive Tony Hayward has been summoned to the White House tomorrow and will testify on Capitol Hill on Thursday.

With his relentless criticism of BP, Mr Obama has been accused of threatening British pensions – which are heavily invested in the company – and the UK economy.

Energy Secretary Chris Huhne finally hit back yesterday, breaking days of public silence from the Government.

He emphasised that a string of U.S. firms were also heavily involved in the events leading up to the April 20 explosion on the Deepwater Horizon offshore rig and said BP, which Mr Obama has pointedly referred to as British Petroleum, was ‘effectively an Anglo-American company’.

In a coded criticism of the president, he warned: ‘I think we have seen what can happen if people attempt to flam up the rhetoric on this.’
BP is now collecting around 15,000 barrels of oil per day but the equivalent of 35,000 is still escaping and may not be stopped until August when relief wells are completed.

Shares in the company plummeted 9.3 per cent on the FTSE index yesterday as the BP board decides whether to suspend its hefty dividend because of the spill.

The shares, which were down ten per cent at one stage, wiped more than £6.5billion off the stock value of the firm - as nervous investors headed for the exit.

BP stock has been especially volatile over the past week. It dropped to a 14-year low on Wednesday, only to rebound on Thursday and Friday.

The firm has a number of options regarding dividend payments. Analysts believe the company is unlikely to scrap it altogether. It can also defer it, pay it into shares or put it into an escrow account.

BP said it would not make a statement on dividend payments following today's board meeting.

Along with the ecological fallout, relations with Britain have come under strain amid President Obama's belligerent rhetoric towards BP which led him to phone Prime Minister David Cameron and assure him that BP, and not Britain in general, was to blame.

Mr Obama compared 9/11 to the disaster in an interview with the respected US political website Politico.

'In the same way that our view of our vulnerabilities and our foreign policy was shaped profoundly by 9/11,' he said, 'I think this disaster is going to shape how we think about the environment and energy for many years to come.'

In a sign he will use the catastrophe to push for energy and climate change reform, he vowed to 'move forward in a bold way in a direction that finally gives us the kind of future-oriented… visionary energy policy that we so vitally need and has been absent for so long.

'One of the biggest leadership challenges for me going forward is going to be to make sure that we draw the right lessons from this disaster,' he said.

Mr Obama said he did not know if America would shift from an oil-based economy in his lifetime however he added that now was the time to 'start making that transition'.

'What we can predict is that the availability of fossil fuel is going to be diminishing; that it's going to get more expensive to recover; that there are going to be environmental costs that our children… our grandchildren and our great-grandchildren are going to have to bear,' he said.

The Transocean Discoverer Enterprise drill ship (with flare) collects oil from over the site of the BP Deepwater Horizon oil well alongside support ships and relief wells as workers try to stem the flow yesterday
Smoothing it over: David Cameron was assured by Barack Obama that his scathing comments about 'British Petroleum' had 'nothing to do with national identity'
Not all the 9/11 families said Mr Obama's comments were upsetting.

Sally Regenhard, who lost a son, said: 'Just like on 9/11, there were no plans for emergency preparedness, coordination of response.

'It's a failure of the system and the government. I'm not offended by the comment.'

Nearly £7billion was wiped off the value of BP yesterday amid growing fears that its crucial dividend payout to shareholders will be suspended.
The shares fell 9.3 per cent, with City analysts warning that they will fall even lower in the coming weeks.
Since the oil rig explosion in April, the market capitalisation of the company has almost halved, losing about £55billion in value.
The BP board met in London to discuss whether or not to pay a dividend, which Barack Obama has put the company under
pressure to scrap in favour of refunding victims of the oil spill. Yesterday a BP spokesman said the company would not be revealing the outcome of the crucial meeting.
But scrapping the dividend would hit, in particular, elderly investors who rely on the income.
Last year, BP handed out around £7billion, paying £1 in every £7 of dividends paid out by companies in the FTSE 100.
BP said it had so far spent around £1billion on its ‘response’ to the disaster, but it was ‘too early to quantify other potential costs and liabilities associated with the incident’.

More than 50,000 claims have been submitted to BP, which has repeatedly insisted that it promises to meet every legitimate one.
To date, it has paid out £42million to more than 26,500 claimants, which is equal to nearly £1,600 each.
Rival oil giant Chevron told the Wall Street Journal that the Gulf of Mexico explosion was a ‘preventable’ incident.
Chief executive John Watson said his company had policies and procedures in place that could have avoided the explosion that triggered the spill.

Read more: BP OIL SPILL: Fury as Obama compares Gulf leak to 9/11 attacks | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1286245/BP-OIL-SPILL-Fury-Obama-compares-Gulf-leak-9-11-attacks.html#ixzz0qsgIxAju)

Camaro Z28
06-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Hmmmm nobody has died in the gulf oil spill so any comparision to a true monumental tragedy is hubris at best.

Easy180
06-14-2010, 08:27 PM
His comparison is just common sense..anyone including victims families that were offended by that statement are begging for something to get riled up over

ronronnie1
06-15-2010, 02:39 AM
Hmmmm nobody has died in the gulf oil spill so any comparision to a true monumental tragedy is hubris at best.

The oil spill IS a "true monumental tragedy." To suggest otherwise is absurd.

And to the people whining about the comparison. Get over it.

Jersey Boss
06-15-2010, 08:29 AM

Not true. 11 men died on the platform due to the criminal negligence of BP. The jury is out on the sub contractors such as Haliburton.

Bostonfan
06-15-2010, 08:32 AM
Not true. 11 men died on the platform due to the criminal negligence of BP. The jury is out on the sub contractors such as Haliburton.

how quickly some forget.

PennyQuilts
06-15-2010, 08:40 AM
I suspect when they said oil spill, they meant oil spill - not the explosion. The environmental disaster is caused by the oil spill, not the explosion. Those things have happened, tragically, in the past but nothing like this has happened, before. No one forgot the 11 men. We are talking about what Obama compared to 9-11 and it wasn't the original accident.

Bostonfan
06-15-2010, 08:59 AM
I suspect when they said oil spill, they meant oil spill - not the explosion. The environmental disaster is caused by the oil spill, not the explosion. Those things have happened, tragically, in the past but nothing like this has happened, before. No one forgot the 11 men. We are talking about what Obama compared to 9-11 and it wasn't the original accident.

yeah, how dare some of us bring up the 11 men killed in this disaster.

Jersey Boss
06-15-2010, 09:02 AM
The following is an article focusing primarily on some British response to Obama's comments about the BP oilspill. It goes into a lot of things that are, personally, not my focus, right now, but some people might care to comment.

The part that I am keying in on is Obama's comparing the oil spill - in a bit of an indirect way - with 9-11. I think they are making a bit more of it than he intended, don't get me wrong, but it bothers me that he would even bring it up. He is using 9-11 in a way that, IMO, is less than respectful. I honestly think the man doesn't get a lot of things. I guess it is one of those things you either "get" or you don't.

BP OIL SPILL: Fury as Obama compares Gulf leak to 9/11 attacks | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1286245/BP-OIL-SPILL-Fury-Obama-compares-Gulf-leak-9-11-attacks.html)

9/11 families' fury as Obama compares BP oil spill to Twin Towers attack
By Daniel Bates

British families of 9/11 victims described Barack Obama as ‘cruel’ yesterday for comparing the terrorist outrage to the BP oil spill.
The U.S. president said there were ‘echoes’ between the Gulf of Mexico disaster and the Al Qaeda suicide attacks which killed 2,995 people, including 67 Britons.

He said that just as the events of September 11, 2001, had profoundly shaped ‘our view of our vulnerabilities and our foreign policy’, so the oil disaster would shape thinking on the environment and energy for years to come.

Those who lost loved ones when terrorists flew hijacked planes into the Twin Towers of New York’s World Trade Centre said Mr Obama’s remarks were yet another attempt to slur the UK.

Joy Bennett, 66, a mother of two from Amersham in Buckinghamshire whose son Oli, a 29-year-old financial journalist, died, said: ‘It is an unfair parallel and is really a cruel thing to say.

‘I can see what he is trying to say but to compare a manmade deliberate terrorist attack to something that is an accident is absolutely wrong. Mr Obama seems intent on causing as much offence to Britain as possible.

‘By saying this he is distracting from what his government is doing, or not doing enough of.’
Charles Berkeley from Shrewsbury, who lost his 37-year-old son Graham, an IT consultant, on 9/11, added: ‘I don’t think it is a fair parallel and I can understand why people feel aggrieved.’

Further criticism came from America. Ed Kowalski, of the U.S-based 9/11 Families for a Secure America Foundation, said: ‘It is a very cheap attempt to draw attention away from himself. He is desperate to be able to pull attention away from his failings.’

'These were terrorist attacks, these 9/11 murders, not something caused by people trying to make money.’

And Jack Lynch, the father of a fireman who died, said: ‘To compare an environmental accident, if that’s what you call it, to a premeditated terrorist attack is ridiculous.’

Relations between London and Washington have cooled because of Mr Obama’s anti-British rhetoric over the oil spill, forcing him to phone David Cameron to reassure him of his support.

The president has been under increasing pressure over his handling of the disaster and is this week attempting to prove he is in control of events. He visited Louisiana, the hardest-hit state, for the fourth time in recent weeks yesterday and will address the American people tonight.

BP executives will give evidence to Congress today, while chief executive Tony Hayward has been summoned to the White House tomorrow and will testify on Capitol Hill on Thursday.

With his relentless criticism of BP, Mr Obama has been accused of threatening British pensions – which are heavily invested in the company – and the UK economy.

Energy Secretary Chris Huhne finally hit back yesterday, breaking days of public silence from the Government.

He emphasised that a string of U.S. firms were also heavily involved in the events leading up to the April 20 explosion on the Deepwater Horizon offshore rig and said BP, which Mr Obama has pointedly referred to as British Petroleum, was ‘effectively an Anglo-American company’.

In a coded criticism of the president, he warned: ‘I think we have seen what can happen if people attempt to flam up the rhetoric on this.’
BP is now collecting around 15,000 barrels of oil per day but the equivalent of 35,000 is still escaping and may not be stopped until August when relief wells are completed.

Shares in the company plummeted 9.3 per cent on the FTSE index yesterday as the BP board decides whether to suspend its hefty dividend because of the spill.

The shares, which were down ten per cent at one stage, wiped more than £6.5billion off the stock value of the firm - as nervous investors headed for the exit.

BP stock has been especially volatile over the past week. It dropped to a 14-year low on Wednesday, only to rebound on Thursday and Friday.

The firm has a number of options regarding dividend payments. Analysts believe the company is unlikely to scrap it altogether. It can also defer it, pay it into shares or put it into an escrow account.

BP said it would not make a statement on dividend payments following today's board meeting.

Along with the ecological fallout, relations with Britain have come under strain amid President Obama's belligerent rhetoric towards BP which led him to phone Prime Minister David Cameron and assure him that BP, and not Britain in general, was to blame.

Mr Obama compared 9/11 to the disaster in an interview with the respected US political website Politico.

'In the same way that our view of our vulnerabilities and our foreign policy was shaped profoundly by 9/11,' he said, 'I think this disaster is going to shape how we think about the environment and energy for many years to come.'

In a sign he will use the catastrophe to push for energy and climate change reform, he vowed to 'move forward in a bold way in a direction that finally gives us the kind of future-oriented… visionary energy policy that we so vitally need and has been absent for so long.

'One of the biggest leadership challenges for me going forward is going to be to make sure that we draw the right lessons from this disaster,' he said.

Mr Obama said he did not know if America would shift from an oil-based economy in his lifetime however he added that now was the time to 'start making that transition'.

'What we can predict is that the availability of fossil fuel is going to be diminishing; that it's going to get more expensive to recover; that there are going to be environmental costs that our children… our grandchildren and our great-grandchildren are going to have to bear,' he said.

The Transocean Discoverer Enterprise drill ship (with flare) collects oil from over the site of the BP Deepwater Horizon oil well alongside support ships and relief wells as workers try to stem the flow yesterday
Smoothing it over: David Cameron was assured by Barack Obama that his scathing comments about 'British Petroleum' had 'nothing to do with national identity'
Not all the 9/11 families said Mr Obama's comments were upsetting.

Sally Regenhard, who lost a son, said: 'Just like on 9/11, there were no plans for emergency preparedness, coordination of response.

'It's a failure of the system and the government. I'm not offended by the comment.'

Nearly £7billion was wiped off the value of BP yesterday amid growing fears that its crucial dividend payout to shareholders will be suspended.
The shares fell 9.3 per cent, with City analysts warning that they will fall even lower in the coming weeks.
Since the oil rig explosion in April, the market capitalisation of the company has almost halved, losing about £55billion in value.
The BP board met in London to discuss whether or not to pay a dividend, which Barack Obama has put the company under
pressure to scrap in favour of refunding victims of the oil spill. Yesterday a BP spokesman said the company would not be revealing the outcome of the crucial meeting.
But scrapping the dividend would hit, in particular, elderly investors who rely on the income.
Last year, BP handed out around £7billion, paying £1 in every £7 of dividends paid out by companies in the FTSE 100.
BP said it had so far spent around £1billion on its ‘response’ to the disaster, but it was ‘too early to quantify other potential costs and liabilities associated with the incident’.

More than 50,000 claims have been submitted to BP, which has repeatedly insisted that it promises to meet every legitimate one.
To date, it has paid out £42million to more than 26,500 claimants, which is equal to nearly £1,600 each.
Rival oil giant Chevron told the Wall Street Journal that the Gulf of Mexico explosion was a ‘preventable’ incident.
Chief executive John Watson said his company had policies and procedures in place that could have avoided the explosion that triggered the spill.

Read more: BP OIL SPILL: Fury as Obama compares Gulf leak to 9/11 attacks | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1286245/BP-OIL-SPILL-Fury-Obama-compares-Gulf-leak-9-11-attacks.html#ixzz0qsgIxAju)

So, okay, a message to BP shareholders, be they Brits, Americans or none of the above. You benefited through the years from the profits generated by the company which accumulated 97% of the fines levied against oil companies for safety and environmental violations (not counting Exxon Valdez compensation). You gained financially from the damage your company inflicted on its workers and its surroundings. Now your company, following those same policies, has created enormous economic and ecological damage, and you are concerned about the impact that unlimited liability for that damage would have on your dividend and on the ability of your company to avoid bankruptcy. Question: how many of you complained to management about the policies and practices from which you benefited all these years? Or do you just complain when these policies and practices inflict profound economic and other costs on others, for which your company may be held responsible? Did you complain when management obviously low-balled flow estimates out of the well for at least a month, so as to minimize damage perceived by the potential jury pool?

Or, as seems more likely, are you happy to privatize the gains and socialize the losses?

Harry Sherear.

PennyQuilts
06-15-2010, 09:16 AM
yeah, how dare some of us bring up the 11 men killed in this disaster.

Go ahead and use their deaths to try to prove a point if it makes you feel better. It has nothing to do what what Obama was saying but, whatever.

PennyQuilts
06-15-2010, 09:17 AM
So, okay, a message to BP shareholders, be they Brits, Americans or none of the above. You benefited through the years from the profits generated by the company which accumulated 97% of the fines levied against oil companies for safety and environmental violations (not counting Exxon Valdez compensation). You gained financially from the damage your company inflicted on its workers and its surroundings. Now your company, following those same policies, has created enormous economic and ecological damage, and you are concerned about the impact that unlimited liability for that damage would have on your dividend and on the ability of your company to avoid bankruptcy. Question: how many of you complained to management about the policies and practices from which you benefited all these years? Or do you just complain when these policies and practices inflict profound economic and other costs on others, for which your company may be held responsible? Did you complain when management obviously low-balled flow estimates out of the well for at least a month, so as to minimize damage perceived by the potential jury pool?

Or, as seems more likely, are you happy to privatize the gains and socialize the losses?

Harry Sherear.

Good point.

Bostonfan
06-15-2010, 09:20 AM
Go ahead and use their deaths to try to prove a point if it makes you feel better. It has nothing to do what what Obama was saying but, whatever.

keep not bringing them up and acting like 11 deaths didn't happen if it makes you feel better. whatever.

PennyQuilts
06-15-2010, 09:34 AM
keep not bringing them up and acting like 11 deaths didn't happen if it makes you feel better. whatever.

Nobody is doing that. The fact that we are talking about something besides their death is no reflection on their deaths or our feelings about it. It is tragic. Saying that it makes me feel better to not bring it up is just childish. You know that is not the point or accurate. It is just that it is a separate topic. If you want to hijack this thread I can't stop you but stop with the sanctimonious blather, will ya?

Bostonfan
06-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Nobody is doing that. The fact that we are talking about something besides their death is no reflection on their deaths or our feelings about it. It is tragic. Saying that it makes me feel better to not bring it up is just childish. You know that is not the point or accurate. It is just that it is a separate topic. If you want to hijack this thread I can't stop you but stop with the sanctimonious blather, will ya?

lol, you accuse me of using deaths to prove my point and you want to talk about being childish? whatever

Martin
06-15-2010, 10:02 AM
you accuse me of using deaths to prove my point and you want to talk about being childish?

...and what is your point? -M

Bostonfan
06-15-2010, 10:17 AM
...and what is your point? -M

lol, nevermind. I'll keep my mouth shut, ok?

mugofbeer
06-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Besides the pure tragedy of what happened, I see 9-11 as a turning point in US history. It was the start of what will continue to be a protracted war against Islamist fundamentalism, it jarred the American people out of an isulated complacency and it marked the end of the true American economic boom - the credit recession we are still suffering from was an offshoot of the government's efforts to shore up the economy after 9-11 and the tech bust.

The comparison of this oil spill to 9-11 could easily end up being a fundamental change in American policy to offshore drilling and a renewed effort to get our country off of oil as the primary source of fuel. It could mark the demise of one of the world's largest oil companies that, 2 months ago, was flush with cash and is now flushing it all into the Gulf cleanup. It could exacerbate the economic slowdown in the UK and Europe because so many UK pensioners hold BP stock in their pension accounts. Once the leak has been plugged and cleanup finally starts in earnest, it could be 20 years before the Gulf recovers.

Martin
06-15-2010, 12:40 PM
lol, nevermind. i'll keep my mouth shut, ok?

if you want. i was just curious as to what your point was, that's all. -M

Prunepicker
06-17-2010, 01:08 AM
keep not bringing them up and acting like 11 deaths didn't happen if it makes
you feel better. whatever.
You're not using relevant incidents. The bottom line is that the oil spill hasn't
caused any human deaths whatsoever. Whether you want someone to sleep
at night or feel better is irrelevant.

1. The explosion killed 11.
2. The oil spill has killed 0.
3. 9/11 comparisons to oil spill 0.

ronronnie1
06-17-2010, 12:55 PM
NewsFlash: 9-11 isn't that big of a deal in the larger scheme of things. One hundred years from now nobody will care about "9-11," but the effects of the oil spill/leak will still be noticable.

Camaro Z28
06-17-2010, 01:26 PM
A century from now the oil spill be a big fat NOTHING of note!!! It probably wob't even rate a footnote in history.

ronronnie1
06-17-2010, 02:41 PM
A century from now the oil spill be a big fat NOTHING of note!!! It probably wob't even rate a footnote in history.

I wish you were correct. If only.

jn1780
06-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Not many people remember the Ixtoc I oil spill which took place in the Gulf.

PennyQuilts
06-17-2010, 03:09 PM
I dunno - I think this oil spill is a really, really big deal. We still talk in hushed tones of the Exxon Valdez and this is eclipsing it, and in a much more populated area.