View Full Version : New Big 12?

lasomeday
06-14-2010, 05:38 PM
So, we have to keep the Big 12 name! Who should we recruit to our conference?

Arkansas and LSU?
New Mexico and Colorado State?
Memphis and TCU?
Tulsa and BYU?

Martin
06-14-2010, 06:19 PM
tcu finished the 2009 season ranked #6 by the ap. perceived strength of schedule has been an issue haunting the horned frogs the last several seasons. i could see them wanting to play in a more competitive conference than the mountain west. besides that, they were long time members of the southwest conference and were in it when it was dissolved, so they'd be rejoining their old conference mates ut, a&m, baylor and tech.

-M

skyrick
06-14-2010, 06:48 PM
So, we have to keep the Big 12 name! Who should we recruit to our conference?

Arkansas and LSU?
New Mexico and Colorado State?
Memphis and TCU?
Tulsa and BYU?

I vote for Arkansas and TCU.

Luke
06-14-2010, 06:50 PM
I think there's enough texas schools in the big 12(10) already... Bringing in Arkansas would be nice. I doubt LSU would want to leave the SEC, but that would seem like another great choice.

mugofbeer
06-14-2010, 06:51 PM
It's official. Texas, OU, OSU, Tech and TAM all staying in the Big 12. Now what?????

Luke
06-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Or we could just call ourselves the Big 10 and the Big 10 can call themselves the Big 12 since they now have 12.

bluedogok
06-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Arkansas and LSU will not leave the SEC, especially for a conference that is going to go through this every time the TV contract comes up for renewal. Arkansas got away from Texas, I doubt they would ever consider getting back into a conference with them.

skyrick
06-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Arkansas and LSU will not leave the SEC, especially for a conference that is going to go through this every time the TV contract comes up for renewal. Arkansas got away from Texas, I doubt they would ever consider getting back into a conference with them.

You're down in Austin, right, b-d-ok? On the sports talk stations here in DFW they're talking like the Pigs would jump at the chance to get back in a conference with the rest of us. They say that Arkansas has been the red-headed step-child of the SEC.

Kerry
06-14-2010, 09:19 PM
Strange game.
The only winning move is not to play.
How about a nice game of chess?
Colonel Conley, take us to DEFCON 5.
Yes, sir.

That was a close one. I guess now we need to find 2 new schools. Here are the options as I see them.

In no particular order:

Utah
TCU
Houston
Tulsa
SMU
New Mexico
Boise St
Arkansas (they are taking a beating in the SEC)
Memphis

I think they should try to expand to 14 or 16.

lasomeday
06-14-2010, 09:24 PM
Yeah, Utah and BYU would be good we could corner that emerging TV market.

I like the BYU and TCU additions.

bluedogok
06-14-2010, 09:49 PM
You're down in Austin, right, b-d-ok? On the sports talk stations here in DFW they're talking like the Pigs would jump at the chance to get back in a conference with the rest of us. They say that Arkansas has been the red-headed step-child of the SEC.
Arkansas was the only other school that I considered but in-state tuition at OU won out ($341 for 15 credit hours) so I have a little knowledge and a lot of friends who went there an lives/lived in the area. As long as Frank Broyles is still above ground they will not purposefully join a conference with UT, I think most of the regents feel the same way. I would bet if an invitation was extended to UT by the SEC that both UofA and LSU would cast dissenting votes. They already were the (non-Texas) red headed stepchild in a conference with UT and have no interest in going there again especially in a conference that is unstable and they make more money already. I think the possible disintegration of the Big 12 conference could become an annual thing, maybe not that often but definitely every time the TV contract is up for renewal.

The problem is most Whorn fans think everyone loves them (except for A&M and OU) when most everyone that doesn't wear puke orange loathes them, but like most decisions like this they are all nothing more than business decision made by business associates....there are no friends.

jbrown84
06-14-2010, 11:46 PM
I like the BYU suggestion.

circled9
06-15-2010, 07:22 AM
No New Schools. We are now the Big 10 and we play the other nine every year plus three nonconference games. Also no more North/South and no more conference championship games. I still believe that having to play the conference championship game in 2004 cost us a national championship. Listening to all of the talk about us being unworthy to play in it (while USC played Oregon State in regular conference game the same afternoon) really got into our guys heads. Yes LSU beat us in what was called the National Championship Game and Kansas State whipped us in the Conference Championship game but I still believe that if we would have not played that extra game, nobody wudda beat us. The ten team conference will work just fine.

earlywinegareth
06-15-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm too confused. In the words of John Lennon, "strange days indeed".

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
06-15-2010, 10:33 AM
The Big XII should not nor will not recruit anyone because Texas said so. It' would cut into it money if they did.

MadMonk
06-15-2010, 11:18 AM
BYU and Arkansas would be great. We need to add two teams for the Big XII north. No more TX teams.

sgt. pepper
06-15-2010, 11:57 AM
No New Schools. We are now the Big 10 and we play the other nine every year plus three nonconference games. Also no more North/South and no more conference championship games.
i agree 100%, why add schools, 10 is perfect.

earlywinegareth
06-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Mizzou got what they wanted after all, lol!

Martin
06-15-2010, 12:53 PM
i disagree with the 'no new schools' position. without 12 teams, there won't be a conference championship.

-M

kevinpate
06-15-2010, 01:54 PM
i disagree with the 'no new schools' position. without 12 teams, there won't be a conference championship.

-M

If every team place every other team, best record, under some formula, is conf. champ. Why add a game that is not needed. Besides the former south division schools that usually go already made sure they wont lose dollars on its absence, and it will no longer be there to be a gotcha for them

Kerry
06-16-2010, 05:49 AM
Mizzou got what they wanted after all, lol!

The part that disappoints me the most is that Mizzou was headed for the Moutain West Conference if the Big XII had fallen apart. That would have been poetic justice and would have been worth having OU play in the PAC 16.

Thunder
06-16-2010, 10:32 AM
.... We can still have the north (5) and south (5) and have the conference championship. I see no reason to not to have any of those with 10 schools....

Bostonfan
06-16-2010, 10:41 AM
.... We can still have the north (5) and south (5) and have the conference championship. I see no reason to not to have any of those with 10 schools....

wrong........ there will be no north and south, and no championship game.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
06-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Where is this hard and fast rule that this conference cannot have a conference championship game?

Oil Capital
06-16-2010, 12:28 PM
Not sure if it is an NCAA rule or a BCS rule, but it only applies to football.

lasomeday
06-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Utah is going to the Pac 10......12.

bluedogok
06-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Where is this hard and fast rule that this conference cannot have a conference championship game?

Not sure if it is an NCAA rule or a BCS rule, but it only applies to football.
It is an NCAA rule, 12 teams minimum for a conference championship game. They could petition for a chance to have one if they so desired but no guarantees that they would allow it.

Bostonfan
06-16-2010, 06:47 PM

If you have 12+ teams you can have champ. game. If you have less than 12 you have to apply through the NCAA and they have to grant it. From what I understand, the Big 12 (or the future Big 10) wants no part of a champ. game.

Edit: Sorry Bluedog, didn't see your post till after I replied.

earlywinegareth
06-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Football - no divisions, everyone will play each other, no CCG
Basketball - everyone will play home & home with a conference tourney at the end of the year

Now just need a new name.

Oil Capital
06-17-2010, 10:03 AM
If you have 12+ teams you can have champ. game. If you have less than 12 you have to apply through the NCAA and they have to grant it. From what I understand, the Big 12 (or the future Big 10) wants no part of a champ. game.

Edit: Sorry Bluedog, didn't see your post till after I replied.

To be clear, the 12 team minimum only applies to football championships, correct?

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
06-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Well, that's a dumb rule.

OU and OSU might as well have just gone to the PAC without Texas.

Wambo36
06-17-2010, 04:41 PM
To be clear, the 12 team minimum only applies to football championships, correct?

Yes, that's how I understand it.

bluedogok
06-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Yes, only in DI-A (or FBS as they call it now) because it was a new concept added at the time the Big 12 and previous large WAC was formed, before most of the original WAC members broke off to form the Mountain West.

Basketball has not had that type of restriction as long as I can remember.

Roadhawg
06-18-2010, 06:50 AM
The part that disappoints me the most is that Mizzou was headed for the Moutain West Conference if the Big XII had fallen apart. That would have been poetic justice and would have been worth having OU play in the PAC 16.

I was hoping that's what was going to happen. Being a long time Husker we hate them too :)