View Full Version : Today's flood

Pages : [1] 2

USG '60
06-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Is everyone surviving this weather?

sam greenroyd
06-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Is everyone surviving this weather?

Just waiting on the drought and locust then we should have a pretty complete year. lol

mmonroe
06-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Made it to work, 15 miles away despite 2 accidents and slow traffic.

Spartan
06-14-2010, 10:31 AM
We're mostly dry down here in Norman. We might not even get an inch of rain by the end of all this.

OKCisOK4me
06-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Snow can't stop me, ice can't stop me... Rain??? You just gotta know where to drive, what's prone to flooding and if it looks too deep, don't chance it. Of course, the news just shows all the worst places, so people think it's mayhem out there. Yeah, I saw a few flooded creeks with fast moving waters, but didn't see any flooded areas, and that's between 63rd & May area over to Meridian & 23rd area.. Oh, there was one big flooded area out in front of the church over on Meridian just south of 36th..

oneforone
06-14-2010, 12:00 PM
I could not beleive the idiot in the white chevy truck at Penn and Memorial.

He/she drives past the police car that is blocking Southbound traffic from going under the bridge. Then does not seem acknowledge the half dozen cars already stranded in the water. He drives right into the water and tries to turn left to East on Memorial and you guessed it.

HE STALLS OUT!

My guess is the brass down at 701 Colcord were watching it on channel 4 just like I was.

About ten minutes after the guy was in the water the police officer turned his crusier around to where he could see the water and the traffic.

PennyQuilts
06-14-2010, 12:13 PM
My rain gauge is on on a block of wood in the drive way. It floated away.

wsucougz
06-14-2010, 12:15 PM
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l16/wsucougz/Picture005-6.jpg

USG '60
06-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Wow!

OKCTalker
06-14-2010, 12:37 PM
"What's a cubit?" Anyone remember that line?

OKCDrummer77
06-14-2010, 12:48 PM
"What's a cubit?" Anyone remember that line?

"Let's see...a cubit. I used to know what a cubit was."

"Make it rain for 40 days and 40 nights and wait for their sewers to back up."
"Riiight."

mugofbeer
06-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Holy frijole!!!! I'm back in Denver now and saw the reporting of the rescues in the trees. What part of town is it in? They never said.

aintaokie
06-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Just waiting on the drought and locust then we should have a pretty complete year. lol

Don't forget the catastrophic brush fires & high winds that push them along.

OKCisOK4me
06-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Holy frijole!!!! I'm back in Denver now and saw the reporting of the rescues in the trees. What part of town is it in? They never said.

Deep Fork Creek flowing into Arcadia. The island the OHP copter landed on was a high point of Sooner Road just west of River Oaks Golf & Country Club between NE 122nd St. & Hefner Road.

soonerfan21
06-14-2010, 02:03 PM
it is all over - downtown OKC, Edmond, far west OKC, Ski Island area.
it was definitely a tense drive this a.m.

metro
06-14-2010, 02:31 PM
yeah I drove from DT to almost Memorial Rd. It was bad everywhere. The park at NW 36th and Western was seriously flooded, bigtime, huge waves crossing western at NW 35th. Classen the water was completely over the curbs for miles. Chesapeake area was severely flooded, especially on 63rd where it dips down by Irmas. Cars completely underwater. Downtown by 4th and Walker were nearly submerged. We got lots of damage downtown, my condo on the 2nd story got some water damage. Crazy. OKCisOKforme, if you think it's not that bad, you didn't get out much or were in an area of town that didn't get hit bad, it was horrible all over the metro.

OKCisOK4me
06-14-2010, 02:44 PM
yeah I drove from DT to almost Memorial Rd. It was bad everywhere. The park at NW 36th and Western was seriously flooded, bigtime, huge waves crossing western at NW 35th. Classen the water was completely over the curbs for miles. Chesapeake area was severely flooded, especially on 63rd where it dips down by Irmas. Cars completely underwater. Downtown by 4th and Walker were nearly submerged. We got lots of damage downtown, my condo on the 2nd story got some water damage. Crazy. OKCisOKforme, if you think it's not that bad, you didn't get out much or were in an area of town that didn't get hit bad, it was horrible all over the metro.

As USG '60 reported about his rain gauge have nearly 10.5 inches in it at NW 23rd & May (which is roughly 3 miles south of where I live) I know that it's bad. All I'm saying though, is there is better drainage in the areas I traversed to get to work this mid morning. I've seen the shots on TV. Yeah, it's bad in a lot of places but I think you get my drift by now ;)

FritterGirl
06-14-2010, 02:55 PM
This really is a mess.

Two neighborhoods adjacent to mine flooded, and a section of the north part of my neighborhood is flooded, as well. We're lucky we're on higher ground. The worst part of all of this is that so many of these people don't have flood insurance on their homes, so unless FEMA recovery funds become available, many will be in serious trouble.

metro
06-14-2010, 02:58 PM
This really is a mess.

Two neighborhoods adjacent to mine flooded, and a section of the north part of my neighborhood is flooded, as well. We're lucky we're on higher ground. The worst part of all of this is that so many of these people don't have flood insurance on their homes, so unless FEMA recovery funds become available, many will be in serious trouble.

me being one of them, and Im well on high ground, sad thing is, they won't sell you flood insurance unless your in a flood plain, most of OKC is not in a flood plain.

Mesta Parker
06-14-2010, 03:29 PM
You don't have to live in a flood plain to be able to buy flood insurance. When I moved back to OKC after living on the Tx Gulf Coast, where only fools don't have flood insurance, I bought a policy. Hard to go wrong for a premium of only $300 a year.

possumfritter
06-14-2010, 03:38 PM
metro...sounds like someone better go back and re-evaluate all that. June, 2007 was pretty bad if memory serves me right?

Camaro Z28
06-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Watch the parade of drivers that have to be "rescued" from their bad decision to drive into the water. This does not include all drivers but it covers about 98% of them. Natural Selection.

mugofbeer
06-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Geez, blizzards of epic proportions, tornadoes, mega-hail storm, massive flooding and it looks like more rain is coming. I am sorry. I hope everyone is OK.

metro
06-14-2010, 04:08 PM
Pops is underwater.

Ow.ly - image uploaded by @Chef_Black (http://ow.ly/i/24d6)

http://twitpic.com/1wte8u

JTL
06-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Northwest part of Edmond has experienced a lot of bad flooding today. Many in this area on well & septic, this one has already become a catastrophe for lots of homeowners downstream from Chisholm Creek area. Bridge errosion @ Waterloo between Santa Fe & Western over Chisholm Creek - it's pretty much gone. Looks like more rain possible, sure hope not...

jbrown84
06-14-2010, 04:21 PM
This is really bad. Worst OKC weather year ever??

skyrick
06-14-2010, 04:38 PM
OK, let me sort this out:
1. 19 inch snow on Christmas Eve.
2. Annual killer tornadoes.
3. Hailstones the size of soccer balls, two feet deep!
and now,
4. Flash floods.

Are you getting the idea that Oklahoma wasn't meant to be inhabited?

I miss the severe, radical weather of OK. People in TX are such weather wusses.

CO-To-OKC
06-14-2010, 05:22 PM
It seems like OKC has had a lot of bad weather over the last 6 moths. Is the weather down there always this unpredictable (and dangerous)?

rondvu
06-14-2010, 06:01 PM
and now,
4. Flash floods.

H-m-m-m-m-m I saw two grasshoppers in the yard yesterday. You think Locusts could be next?

SkyWestOKC
06-14-2010, 06:11 PM
It seems like OKC has had a lot of bad weather over the last 6 moths. Is the weather down there always this unpredictable (and dangerous)?

No. This has just been a "Perfect Storm" year. I have never seen it like this before and would say this year has been an anomaly. Next year will probably be nice and quiet.

okcpulse
06-14-2010, 06:36 PM
and now,
4. Flash floods.

Right, but keep in mind that from 1999 to 2010 there were not any deaths from a tornado.

In all reality, it doesn't matter where you live. Natural disasters occur everywhere.

But yes, people in Texas are indeed weather wusses.

MsDarkstar
06-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Right, but keep in mind that from 1999 to 2010 there were not any deaths from a tornado.

I'm going to assume you're referring to AFTER the May 3, 1999 tornado because 36 people died in that one.

A family friend lives in Luther, there's a creek that runs across the corner of their property. Around noon they started evacuating because the water was getting so high. She called to let my mom know what was going on and while they were on the phone she saw her hay baler floating off along with a bunch of her neighbors farm equipment.

bluedogok
06-14-2010, 06:56 PM
and now,
4. Flash floods.

The weather guy at the NBC affiliate here in Austin is from Lindsay, so we get quite a bit of coverage of Oklahoma weather down here. Hope everyone is alright up there.

The Guadalupe and Comal Rivers running through New Braunfels flooded after a 4 hour/10" rain last week, Schiltterbahn was flooded, some of the tubing companies had their buses wrapped around trees, this was after two years of drought at which the river was at historic lows...a bit of feast of famine everywhere.

http://media.mysanantonio.com/images/16211584%20-%20TEXAS%20FLOODS%20-%2006_09_2010.jpg

Here it was after being righted....kind of a sign of how strong flood waters can be.
http://media.mysanantonio.com/images/r16217848%20-%20TEXAS%20FLOODS%20-%2006_10_2010.jpg

Here are the rest of the pictures: MySA.com - June 9 Flooding (http://www.mysanantonio.com/slideshows/June_9_flooding.html?c=n#1)

Camaro Z28
06-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Wow. Those buses show the power of flowing water.

oneforone
06-14-2010, 08:11 PM
and now,
4. Flash floods.

At this rate we might as well open a Disaster Training University here. The students might just get lucky enough to see some real world expierence before graduation.

I guess the only thing we have left to experience is:

1. Another land hurricane style system like we had last year (or was it the year before?)

2. An Extermely hot and dry July with wildfires in August

3. Maybe a volcano .... Why not we have had quite a few earthquakes over the last year.

jbrown84
06-14-2010, 11:08 PM
No. This has just been a "Perfect Storm" year. I have never seen it like this before and would say this year has been an anomaly. Next year will probably be nice and quiet.

Definitely.

http://media.mysanantonio.com/images/16211584%20-%20TEXAS%20FLOODS%20-%2006_09_2010.jpg

That is insane!

Larry OKC
06-15-2010, 12:14 AM
^^^
And it wasn't just the 1 bus either, at least 2 more are in the background wrapped around trees

Larry OKC
06-15-2010, 12:20 AM

Don't know if this is worse or about average. Was it last year or the year before where we had a record number of State of Emergencies asking for Federal assistance. Can't recall the numbers now but like others have posted, there were wildfires, floods, tornadoes, ice storms (and I think it was the year of the remains of Hurricane Erin(?) may have been the remains, but the sattelite pics still showed a strong eye (don't think it was hurricane strength at the time but still did significant damage...the Watonga cheese factory).

Thunder
06-15-2010, 12:49 AM
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/139/l_2da80da4a83045a983e938e1cecf09c9.jpg
^^^ Flooded bridge and the streets. The water was spilling over the curbs.

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/139/l_b4525c04a7f843c89343652b5f2b9603.jpg
^^^ This is a creek that is normally about 3 feet across with about 2 feet of water surrounding the Epperly Heights Elementary school. You can see its a raging river.

:omg:

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/133/l_0f53ba110ec44d0ab8615e9af0106110.jpg

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/131/l_c4207a9f6c2047f0ba631e99bafcb23e.jpg

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/149/l_d58023fda2a74531a5074d5a1ff0ed78.jpg
^^^ 15 feet deep storm drain that connects to the creek. If rain didn't slow down, all of that would be reaching up to the house.

Spartan
06-15-2010, 02:12 AM
With the rain we got tonight I am seeing where the Oklahoma River is flooding. 3 feet above flood stage..more flooding along where it goes back to North Canadian River east of downtown. Expected to crest tomorrow morning.

Larry OKC
06-15-2010, 04:33 AM
Does damming it up make it better or worse? Normally wouldn't the river be nearly empty and about time for its 1st mowing?

Article said (from yesterdays rains, not counting tonight) that a dock and training equipment was floating downstream (had recovered most of it)...at that point there wasn't damage to the structures on boathouse row. Does anyone know how elevated Boathouse row is? The finishline tower etc?

Oklahoma City flooding: Oklahoma River training site damaged by floods | NewsOK.com (http://www.newsok.com/oklahoma-city-flooding-oklahoma-river-training-site-damaged-by-floods/article/3468667?custom_click=headlines_widget)

The rain-gorged Oklahoma River on Monday swept away part of a dock, boats and a rowing barge used in training. ...

"The great thing about the river is ... it's controllable,” Knopp said.

He said there was no worry about the water jumping the banks or getting into the boathouses and it was already slowing down Monday evening.

Ooooops...never say never I guess....

CuatrodeMayo
06-15-2010, 07:23 AM
and now,
4. Flash floods.

5. SoCal-style wildfires a year ago.

Spartan
06-15-2010, 09:05 AM
Does damming it up make it better or worse? Normally wouldn't the river be nearly empty and about time for its 1st mowing?

Article said (from yesterdays rains, not counting tonight) that a dock and training equipment was floating downstream (had recovered most of it)...at that point there wasn't damage to the structures on boathouse row. Does anyone know how elevated Boathouse row is? The finishline tower etc?

Oklahoma City flooding: Oklahoma River training site damaged by floods | NewsOK.com (http://www.newsok.com/oklahoma-city-flooding-oklahoma-river-training-site-damaged-by-floods/article/3468667?custom_click=headlines_widget)

Ooooops...never say never I guess....

Maybe it will take some gravel rocks with it...

Casey
06-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Hem.

I'm moving to Edmond in July, and I recently called to set up my home insurance.

They asked if I wanted flood insurance. I said no, thinking that it was tornados that were the threat, not floods.

Think I'll be giving my insurance company a call back.

CO-To-OKC
06-15-2010, 03:46 PM
Just out of curiosity, is tornado insurance more expensive in OKC just because of its location?

redrunner
06-15-2010, 06:16 PM
I don't think there's a separate tornado insurance. Tornado damage is covered under regular home insurance. But home insurance rates in general are more expensive in Oklahoma because of the fact that we experience many tornandos.

Casey
06-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Funnily enough though, my home insurance in OK isn't too much more than my insurance in Canada.

I was surprised.

Paseofreak
06-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Larry OKC: The low water dams do occupy cross-sectional area that would otherwise be availabe to carry flow. However, the dam design project no doubt encompassed measures to assure containment of flow resulting from at least the 100 year storm occurring over a much wider area than Mondays storm. I haven't checked, but I'm thinking Monday's rainfall depth was 150-200% of 100 yr - 24 hour depth. Also, remember that the river has been channelized to reduce flooding by the Army Corps and no longer behaves naturally. Also, flooding could be caused by downstream restrictions resulting in a backwater condition. In which case the presence of the dams is largely immaterial.

Spartan: I've seen you gripe about the rock rip-rap in a couple of places on here. I agree that it's not the prettiest channel bank, but it's there on purpose for a few reasons. The least of which is not cost. The purpose of the rock is to armor the banks against erosion during extreme flow events. Grass channel lining can handle flow velocities up to about 4 or 5 feet per second. Beyond that some requires something beefier and much more costly. Rip-rap is usually cheapest. Rock size is a function of design velocity and slope of the sides of the channel. Steeper the slope, bigger the rock required to resist forces trying to dislodge it. Bottom line, I don't see the rock going away anytime soon.

Larry OKC
06-15-2010, 11:59 PM
Paseofreak: thanks for the info. Didn't mean to suggest that Monday's rainfall was a normal occurrence by any means. My question about the damming process, is that the water that is dammed, (lets say 10ft depth), is another 10ft of water that would normally would have to build up to. With the dams, that is its new starting point (it has a 10ft head start in reaching flood stage). Doesn't it?

Does anyone of a link to an article or news report? I still haven't run across any about the Oklahoma River being above flood stage (didn't see anything in Tues paper, but may have gone to press before that happened). Will look again in Wed.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
06-16-2010, 06:47 AM
Does anyone of a link to an article or news report? I still haven't run across any about the Oklahoma River being above flood stage (didn't see anything in Tues paper, but may have gone to press before that happened). Will look again in Wed.

I'm not sure if the "Oklahoma River" went above flood stage due to strong regulation, but the North Canadian River (same as the Oklahoma River) exceeded flood stage downstream at Britton Road and down by Harrah:

Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service: Norman: North Canadian River at Oklahoma City (http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=oun&gage=okbo2&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1&toggles=10,7,8,2,9,15,6&type=0)

Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service: Norman: North Canadian River near Harrah (http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=oun&gage=hrho2&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1&toggles=10,7,8,2,9,15,6&type=0)

Flow at the Britton Road gage was about a "25-year event" (4% chance of flow exceedance) and at the Harrah gage was about a "10-year event" (10% chance of exceedance). This may seem trivial compared to the 500 year 6-hour probability rainfall we saw, but if this rainfall event had extended into upper portions of the basin or weren't so localized, or we didn't have as much regulation, we likely would have seen far greater flows. Note that the annual peak flow at the Britton Road gage for this event exceeded what we saw in summer of 2007, and we haven't seen an event similar to this since 1995 (prior to MAPS river work).

Sources:

USGS Publications Warehouse (http://pubs.er.usgs.gov/usgspubs/ofr/ofr99463)
USGS Publications Warehouse (http://pubs.er.usgs.gov/usgspubs/sir/sir20095135http://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/ok/nwis/peak?site_no=07241520&agency_cd=USGS&format=html)

Kerry
06-16-2010, 09:39 AM
and now,
4. Flash floods.

You also forgot earthquakes (something like 62 since the beginning of the year).

skyrick
06-16-2010, 04:30 PM
You also forgot earthquakes (something like 62 since the beginning of the year).

I heard about that, but were they just lines on a seismograph or could you actually feel some tectonic shift?

Remembering a commercial showing how happy California cows were, at the end of the commercial an earthquake begins and the cows squeal and giggle, "OOOHHHH! Foot massage!"

Paseofreak
06-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Yep,it does have a head start. That can present quite a challenge for designers if. The controlling feature isn't downstream and generally requires widening, deepening or smoothing the channel. Regulations promulgated at FEMA's behest require extensive modelling. And analysis of channel mods within the floodway, so we can be reasonably sure that the changes don't result in. Significantly increased flood risk.

Paseofreak: thanks for the info. Didn't mean to suggest that Monday's rainfall was a normal occurrence by any means. My question about the damming process, is that the water that is dammed, (lets say 10ft depth), is another 10ft of water that would normally would have to build up to. With the dams, that is its new starting point (it has a 10ft head start in reaching flood stage). Doesn't it?

jbrown84
06-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Larry, the dams can be opened completely, which allows the water to flow right through.

sam greenroyd
06-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Larry, the dams can be opened completely, which allows the water to flow right through.

If you completely open a dam you can do serious damage to the dam itself and everything in its path, the corps calculates water coming in and opens the gates either to slow down the rise, level it off, or drop the level depending on how much flooding is down stream.

jbrown84
06-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Well obviously I didn't mean that they let the water build up completely and then just open the floodgates.

CuatrodeMayo
06-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Too bad...I would be waiting in a kayak below the dam...

kinggober
06-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Speaking of kayaking....check out these photos that my friend Carl Zoch took on 235. Carl Zoch Photography Blog (http://www.carlzochphotography.com/blog/2010/06/urban-kayaking.html)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4038/4700068461_6fb98892fe_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4006/4700068199_5867030cf7_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4021/4700068487_5814baf973_b.jpg

Dustin
06-17-2010, 02:51 PM
Speaking of kayaking....check out these photos that my friend Carl Zoch took on 235. Carl Zoch Photography Blog (http://www.carlzochphotography.com/blog/2010/06/urban-kayaking.html)

AWESOME! For the photographer not the drivers of those cars.. lol..

I found this pic on flickr.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4060/4704633143_633202c182.jpg

Scary!

rondvu
06-17-2010, 03:01 PM
I carry a tool similar to this in my side door pocket. I believe every should also carry one, you just never know.

The "Rescue One" 4-In-1 Auto Emergency Tool with Seat Belt Cutter, Glass Breaker and More! - General Tools & Instruments (http://www.generaltools.com/Products/Rescue-One-Auto-Emergency-Tool__7902.aspx)