View Full Version : When Will Oklahoma Catch Up?

possumfritter
06-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Law.com - Ex-Wife Ordered Jailed for Alienating Children From Father (http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1202461189158&ExWife_Ordered_Jailed_for_Alienating_Children_From _Father#&sharecode=facebook)

It is about darned time!!!!!

Midtowner
06-11-2010, 08:48 AM
We're caught up. Motions to Enforce and Citations for Contempt of Court are filed every day and parents have definitely taken trips to the pokey for bad behavior. Also, effective November 1st, there'll be some pretty strong accountability for liars going in for ex parte emergency orders.

SB 2235 An Act relating to emergency custody; providing requirements for certain hearingmotions; specifying certain affidavit requirements; requiring certain hearing within certainperiod; providing for hearing after certain court failure; authorizing court to take certainaction for certain false affidavits; providing penalties; providing for codification; andproviding an effective date. Passed Senate 45-0. Passed House as Substitued byCommittee. Conference Committee. Passed House 79-0. In Conference. Conferencecommittee report passes both houses. Final Bill deals with emergency custody hearingsand the qualifications of parenting coordinators. To Governor. Signed by Governor. Eff.Nov. 1.

possumfritter
06-11-2010, 09:31 AM
I have used "Motions to Enforce." I have not seen, yet, a Judge order a NCP to jail for interferring with or denying visitation. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I just have not seen it yet.

As for emergency ex parte orders...Amen!!!

PennyQuilts
06-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Sending an alienating parent to jail is hard on the kids who are already caught in the crossfire. That being said, I think there is a special place in hell for parents who do it. And as long as parents think they have a "right" to do whatever they want when it comes to the kids' relationship with the other parent, they'll likely keep doing it. Maybe jail might get their attention or at least change the landscape enough that other potentially alientating parents might start to "get" that treating kids like weapons to hurt their other parent is horrible.

kevinpate
06-11-2010, 10:02 AM
About time for which part?
Finding the mom in contempt and ordering every other weekend in jail for the summer?
Ordering a hearing on whether a change in custody is appropriate?
Ordering a hearing on whether she pays the dad's atty fees?
All the above?

Of course, perhaps none of the above comes to pass. It is on hold pending her appeal of the contempt ruling. The lady in that case reminds me of someone though, a little too much actually. Makes me almost wonder if they might visit the same chat boards?

possumfritter
06-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Penny...I really do believe that a few weekends in jail for any parent that willfully keeps the children apart from the other parent, without good cause proven, would change alot of attitudes.

kevinpate...About time an interferring parent spend time in jail on the weekends.

PennyQuilts
06-11-2010, 11:53 AM
I've had a few truly awful cases with alienating parents. One in particular stands out that I had a hard time believing because the mother was just a little cutie pie. The dad produced a tape he'd made of her telling the little girl (age 4) on Christmas Eve that Santa was going to hate her if she went with mean daddy over the holidays. Then when the little girls started wailing, the mother just went on an on about "poor baby, no Christmas presents if you love daddy, how sad... Mean old daddy doesn't care if Santa hates you... Mommy loves you and wants you stay with her for Christmas so Santa will love you - blah, blah, blah. Absolutely turned my stomach.

We kept expecting the mother to raise sex abuse allegations but they ended up claiming the step mother was beating the child. The maternal grandmother locked the child in a car (again, wailing) and called the police claiming she'd observed the step mother slam the child's head against the wall. Fortunately for step mom, a tape was going and she was on the phone with her attorney asking what to do because the grandmother was out in the yard causing a scene. You could hear the grandmother go into a screaming fit in the middle of it claiming the child was being beaten and that she'd just seen her slam the child against the wall (she didn't know the step mother was on the phone). She also called me in the middle of it and left a message so I also had it on tape.

Incredible what people will do.

ElOhEl
06-17-2010, 11:44 AM
I've had a few truly awful cases with alienating parents. One in particular stands out that I had a hard time believing because the mother was just a little cutie pie. The dad produced a tape he'd made of her telling the little girl (age 4) on Christmas Eve that Santa was going to hate her if she went with mean daddy over the holidays. Then when the little girls started wailing, the mother just went on an on about "poor baby, no Christmas presents if you love daddy, how sad... Mean old daddy doesn't care if Santa hates you... Mommy loves you and wants you stay with her for Christmas so Santa will love you - blah, blah, blah. Absolutely turned my stomach.

We kept expecting the mother to raise sex abuse allegations but they ended up claiming the step mother was beating the child. The maternal grandmother locked the child in a car (again, wailing) and called the police claiming she'd observed the step mother slam the child's head against the wall. Fortunately for step mom, a tape was going and she was on the phone with her attorney asking what to do because the grandmother was out in the yard causing a scene. You could hear the grandmother go into a screaming fit in the middle of it claiming the child was being beaten and that she'd just seen her slam the child against the wall (she didn't know the step mother was on the phone). She also called me in the middle of it and left a message so I also had it on tape.

Incredible what people will do.

Looks like the mother and grandmother were engaged in a form of child abuse.

PennyQuilts
06-17-2010, 03:43 PM
Looks like the mother and grandmother were engaged in a form of child abuse.

I agree. So did the judge.

Roadhawg
06-18-2010, 07:04 AM
I agree. So did the judge.

People like that deserve to spend some time behind bars.