View Full Version : Home remodel advice...

Zoedith
06-10-2010, 10:15 PM
We have been considering a home remodel project. I don't think it will be in our near future, but am trying to get some information. I am trying to decide if it is better to build up or build out. I don't really care if it puts our property value above the surrounding home values. We have pretty much decided this is our forever home (hate moving). My biggest problem with this project is that I do not know who to consult with first. If we think of building up can our house support it. If we want to take the building out path, we would have to consider moving our septic tank and rerouting our lateral lines. Does anyone have any suggestions on who to speak to about this type of remodel? Thanks.....

okclee
06-10-2010, 10:19 PM
How much attic space do you have? Do you have a good location for a staircase? Also how many square feet do you want to add?

Zoedith
06-10-2010, 10:32 PM
We actually have a lot of attic space. I have what I would believe a perfect spot for a staircase. I do not know the square footage amount, but I was thinking just adding one big room above our living area. The middle part of our house from the front wall to the back wall of the house is actually two living areas. These areas are divided by a retractable wooden curtain which we leave open to make one large living area. I thought something above this area would be good.

Zoedith
06-10-2010, 10:37 PM
This is very similar to our current floorplan. This a friend's actual floorplan. I visited his home and we had very similar homes. I can't vouch for the actual dimensions though.

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/Sketches/sketchfile/2852/R117842530001.jpg

mshane
09-13-2010, 04:00 AM
I am planning a house remodel too. Our port's a mess. The attic's a wreck. I want to breakdown the house totally but my Mum;s a bit sentimental. Do you have any suggestion for a 400 sq m. floor? Thanks!
home remodeling (http://www.cxiconstruction.com)

CuatrodeMayo
09-13-2010, 02:08 PM
We have been considering a home remodel project. I don't think it will be in our near future, but am trying to get some information. I am trying to decide if it is better to build up or build out. I don't really care if it puts our property value above the surrounding home values. We have pretty much decided this is our forever home (hate moving). My biggest problem with this project is that I do not know who to consult with first. If we think of building up can our house support it. If we want to take the building out path, we would have to consider moving our septic tank and rerouting our lateral lines. Does anyone have any suggestions on who to speak to about this type of remodel? Thanks.....

Did you ever find the information you needed?

USG'60
09-13-2010, 04:34 PM
I am planning a house remodel too. Our port's a mess. The attic's a wreck. I want to breakdown the house totally but my Mum;s a bit sentimental. Do you have any suggestion for a 400 sq m. floor? Thanks!
home remodeling (http://www.cxiconstruction.com)
Are you really meaning 400 square meters? That is nearly 4000 square feet.