View Full Version : Tent structure on Reno?

kbsooner
06-09-2010, 10:20 PM
big temporary structure going up @ Reno & M Mantle, is it for the Mayors' "hoedown"?

Steve
06-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Yep

Spartan
06-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Yikes.

Uh-oh.

kbsooner
06-10-2010, 06:57 AM
big temporary structure going up @ Reno & M Mantle, is it for the Mayors' "hoedown"?

Its more like Reno and Joe Carter if anyone is fact checking...

krisb
06-11-2010, 02:01 PM
I'm sure that's the one thing they will remember from their trip, and not in a good way.

shane453
06-11-2010, 04:19 PM
I wonder why didn't they use Cox, Civic Center, or even Bricktown Events Center?

fuzzytoad
06-11-2010, 06:05 PM
I wonder why didn't they use Cox, Civic Center, or even Bricktown Events Center?

wasn't hillbilly enough?

:sofa:

ljbab728
06-11-2010, 10:41 PM
wasn't hillbilly enough?

There's nothing "hillbilly" about a tent pavillion for hosting a large event. Some of the most chic events surrounding the Academy Awards are in temporary tents.

Larry OKC
06-12-2010, 04:45 AM

Mayors arrive for convention in Oklahoma City | NewsOK.com (http://www.newsok.com/mayors-arrive-for-convention-in-oklahoma-city/article/3467786?custom_click=headlines_widget)
According to a photo caption they are using the Cox. Presume that the Flaming Lips/Philharmonic concert is at the Civic Center and don't know about the Bricktown Events Center (maybe some of these locations were already booked for other events?)

rcjunkie
06-12-2010, 05:01 AM
wasn't hillbilly enough?

It always amazes me how some try to turn everything into a negative.

fuzzytoad
06-12-2010, 02:16 PM
It always amazes me how some try to turn everything into a negative.

yes, amazing, isn't it?

Sorry for being negative towards you people with red sofas..

Urbanized
06-13-2010, 04:37 PM
It was hardly a hoedown. Two huge fully air conditioned event tents (the type with glass doors like any commercial building). Black carpeting, white furniture including sleek, ultra-modern white leather couches and chairs plus amoeba-shaped hard shell chairs that were internally lit, almost like the glowing pedestals of the chairs at the OKC National Memorial. Full-on rock concert stage with live music. During breaks between the main act's sets there were other stages that featured solo acts from ACM@UCO. Signage and exhibits borrowed from the "Another Hot Oklahoma Night" rock 'n' roll exhibit at the Oklahoma History Center.

Full-service bars all over the place, and Bricktown restaurants set up feeding people a la Taste of Bricktown. It was very rock themed, and had the feel of a huge, sleek nightclub. The mayors and people I spoke with from all over the country were blown away. So far what they have seen is NOT what they expected of OKC. I suspect that trend will continue tonight when they see the OKC Philharmonic partner with the Flaming Lips.

oneforone
06-13-2010, 05:06 PM
It's always nice to see the city spending money on something meaningful.

I am glad they are not spending the money on those useless things like fire trucks, additional police officers, street repairs, community centers and other wasteful needs.

Then again why should our city council worry about the true needs of the city. They are well protected in their gated communities with private security, smooth roads and the latest fire surpression equipment.

Ahhh the good life courtesy of the OKC tax payers.

rcjunkie
06-13-2010, 06:40 PM

I am glad they are not spending the money on those useless things like fire trucks, additional police officers, street repairs, community centers and other wasteful needs.

Then again why should our city council worry about the true needs of the city. They are well protected in their gated communities with private security, smooth roads and the latest fire surpression equipment.

Total lack of knowledge. 95% of the cost for this event was paid by donations/corporations, and not one Council Member, the Mayor or City Manager live in a gated community, nice try though.

OSUFan
06-14-2010, 08:33 AM
Just to echo what RC said, the vast, vast majority of this event was paid for by the private sector.

metro
06-14-2010, 02:44 PM

time for reality check as the others have said.

CaseyCornett
06-16-2010, 08:27 AM
It is so hard to not comment on here sometimes.

kevinpate
06-16-2010, 04:45 PM
It is so hard to not comment on here sometimes.

Wouldn't be iffin you had selected a name like OMGru4Real
:tiphat:

Yeah, I dinna either, but for the most part, nobody really knows me anyhow so I might as well have.

Urbanized
06-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Not only was the event underwritten by corporate sponsors, many of them were out-of-town vendors who were hoping to hawk their wares to conference attendees. One of them was one of the major sponsors of the Bricktown event in question. Another major sponsor was Chesapeake, who was obviously trying to reach the mayors and other public officials with the idea of cities powering their fleets with natural gas. I fail to see how any of this is a negative for OKC.

rcjunkie
06-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Not only was the event underwritten by corporate sponsors, many of them were out-of-town vendors who were hoping to hawk their wares to conference attendees. One of them was one of the major sponsors of the Bricktown event in question. Another major sponsor was Chesapeake, who was obviously trying to reach the mayors and other public officials with the idea of cities powering their fleets with natural gas. I fail to see how any of this is a negative for OKC.

I totally agree, but some on this thread are "hell bent" on turning any and everything the City does into something negative, they must really live a boring and/or miserable life. I for one like the direction this City is going and proud of it's leadership.

CaseyCornett
06-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Wouldn't be iffin you had selected a name like OMGru4Real
:tiphat:

Yeah, I dinna either, but for the most part, nobody really knows me anyhow so I might as well have.

How about URsoKEWL?

barnold
06-17-2010, 03:38 PM
How about DILigAF?

CaseyCornett
06-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Barn - I think you missed an "L"

barnold
06-18-2010, 02:11 PM
OOPS, you are so correct. Here it is..... L I been Looking for it.