View Full Version : Should I Move to OKC?

CO-To-OKC
06-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Hello all. I'm new to this forum, and considering a move to Oklahoma City in about a year (when I graduate college). Let me give some background about myself, and then I'll as a few questions.

I'm 23 years old, single, and about to start my last year of college. I'm majoring in communications and minoring in business. I live in Pueblo, Colorado, a blue-collar, old school town of about 100,000 people that doesn't offer many opportunities for college graduates. I wouldn't mind moving to the Denver area so that I can stay close to my family, but the cost of living up there is ridiculously high compared to other cities in the Midwest.

I'm interested in moving to Oklahoma City because of the low cost of living and the conservative mindset of the area. I also have a friend who attends OU, and she says that she won't move outside of the area unless she absolutely has to.

Now for some of my questions:

What is the job market in OKC like right now? What would be the best way for me to search for a job (my degree is very versatile)? Is the life for singles good down there? Where can I find an affordable apartment ($600 or less) in a good area of the city?

Any other info would be great to know.

Thanks

Spartan
06-09-2010, 02:09 PM
We have some very attractive women. What more do you need for good single life?

mmonroe
06-09-2010, 02:32 PM
LOL! There are plenty of job offerings for people with degrees but it is competitive.
Job Search:
Oklahoma Job and Career Center | JobsOK.com (http://newsok.com/marketplace/jobsok)
Oklahoma Jobs in Oklahoma Job Search. (http://oklahoma.jobs.com/)
Oklahoma Jobs - Jobs in Oklahoma - Oklahoma City Jobs (http://www.oklahomajobs.com/)

There are more places to have fun as a 21+ Single Guy than you can think of near the DT area.

There are plenty of apartments here. Tons range from $450-$1200 just google search for any place and if you like it, mention it here, and we can comment on them.

Laramie
06-09-2010, 03:34 PM
What is the job market in OKC like right now?

Moderate to good for a city of 600,000 (central) 1.3 million (metro).

The hiring should get better as the nations' overall economy improves.

What would be the best way for me to search for a job (my degree is very versatile)?

I'm old school and many of the jobs I obtained involved timing--being at the right place at the right time. Personal greetings and meetings are best. Use the newspaper and fill out written applications--employers want to see your handwriting. Apply online only when it is required...

Is the life for singles good down there?

Life for singles is great here--people are friendly and trusting. Putting safety first: be careful and avoid on-line dating unless you are desperate; then, meet at a neutral site like a library or more public place.

Where can I find an affordable apartment ($600 or less) in a good area of the city

Go to a 7-Eleven or reputable convenience store (Shell, ConoPhillips...) and pick up an apartment guide. Any apartments you visit; talk to the tenants about concerns and questions you may have.

possumfritter
06-09-2010, 03:41 PM
You can always check a couple of the websites that review and/or rate apartments in OKC.

OKC is much better than alot of places. But, if you like the ocean, mountains, tall trees, and "real" Mexican food...then you won't like OKC.

Spartan
06-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Iguana is better than "real Mexican good."

mugofbeer
06-09-2010, 03:55 PM
I just recently moved from Denver back to OKC and now have moved back to Denver for work. Yes, OKC is far cheaper than Denver but it is NOT Denver. If you prefer a slower, more conservative lifestyle then OKC may suit you. OKC is up and coming. It has it's problems and, like Pueblo, it's not made of money. If you're "rock and roll," then Denver or Dallas may better suit you. If you are "country" or "gospel" then OKC is more like it.

Spartan
06-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Dallas and Houston are more affordable than Denver and have a faster pace of life like Denver, if not faster. Austin is also a great compromise between urban amenities and quality lifestyle for the cost of living.

You can NOT compare OKC to Pueblo, however. OKC is not half-way in between Denver and Pueblo..it has far more in common with Denver. OKC is dysfunctional and inefficient as a big city. It just recently became a "big city" so it's still figuring things out and coming up with an identity, but it'll get there. OKC has come up relatively fast. Compare to Charlotte in the 90s or Seattle in the 60s.

possumfritter
06-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Iguana is better than "real Mexican good."

Spartan...I haven't been to the Iguana. Got a location?

Spartan
06-09-2010, 04:04 PM
9th and Broadway. Try it during off hours or you won't get a seat all night.

possumfritter
06-09-2010, 04:20 PM
9th and Broadway. Try it during off hours or you won't get a seat all night.

Thank Ya!

Casey
06-09-2010, 04:23 PM
We have some very attractive women. What more do you need for good single life?

Are there also lots of attractive single men? Moving to OK in three weeks..... :-)

Spartan
06-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Are there also lots of attractive single men?

Well, I'm here. :irule:

Just kidding.

OU Adonis
06-09-2010, 05:15 PM
<---------------------

jk :d

xoxotiffanynicole
06-09-2010, 05:17 PM
There's lots of singles in Oklahoma period.
It's like land of the singles.

SkyWestOKC
06-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Is tiffanynicole one of the multitudes of singles? ;)

OU Adonis
06-09-2010, 06:28 PM
In all seriousness I do like the fact we seem to be having a bunch of new people moving to OKC. I get tired of seeing everyone run to Dallas or Houston.

Casey
06-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Well, I'm here. :irule:

Just kidding.

Excellent, pics? :-)

Time to start a dating section here somewhere.

xoxotiffanynicole
06-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Free Online Dating, Online Singles, Online Chat - Singlesnet.com (http://www.singlesnet.com)

soonerguru
06-09-2010, 06:51 PM
I just recently moved from Denver back to OKC and now have moved back to Denver for work. Yes, OKC is far cheaper than Denver but it is NOT Denver. If you prefer a slower, more conservative lifestyle then OKC may suit you. OKC is up and coming. It has it's problems and, like Pueblo, it's not made of money. If you're "rock and roll," then Denver or Dallas may better suit you. If you are "country" or "gospel" then OKC is more like it.

Oh please. WE have plenty to satisfy music fans of all stripes. It's not like Denver is a major music mecca.

onthestrip
06-09-2010, 09:00 PM
There's lots of singles in Oklahoma period.
It's like land of the singles.

Really? I always thought of OKC not being the best singles city. So many people in this state get married so young. And it seems that there are many good looking girls that move off to Dallas or somewhere. Just never thought of OKC being great for singles.

However, with Oklahomas divorce rate I guess there will always be some single folks out there. Its just that there is usually baggage attached.

mmonroe
06-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Country and Gospel? HAHAHAHAHA

With bands like the Flaming Lips, All American Rejects, Hinder... yeah, Country and Gospel.

soonerguru
06-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Yes. The answer is: You should move to OKC. It's an up and coming city with a lot of very cool residents and single, gorgeous women. You also will be able to enjoy conversation with people of all political persuasions here.

Larry OKC
06-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Oh please. WE have plenty to satisfy music fans of all stripes. It's not like Denver is a major music mecca.

I don't think he was talking about music styles per se, but what those music styles represent from a lifestyle point of view

soonerguru
06-09-2010, 10:11 PM
I don't think he was talking about music styles per se, but what those music styles represent from a lifestyle point of view

Even if so, it's not accurate.

Spartan
06-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Just got back from opening night for deadCENTER. Wow downtown was packed. So many gorgeous women walking around with douches that do not deserve them. Since I think that's the litmus test of a great single scene, if a douche bag can score a hot blond, I'd say OKC is A-O.K.

And after tonight and running into so many old friends and seeing so many trendy people pack Broadway and revel in the story of Mat Hoffman..it was truly a celebration of Okies who honor Oklahoma by dreaming big and defying normative standards and stereotypes. I can't say it enough. There is just something cool and special that you can only get from being a part of the beginning of something. It's just that "well-kept secret" that makes Oklahoma's massive hip scene so unique. A lot of outsiders have commented on it, how here in this "new city" that nobody really hears or thinks about we've got all these quirky people and great bands and people that just hit it big.

Those of us who are a part of OKC's urban renaissance and the massive growth in local culture are part of something that is brand new and has the sense that we have already stumbled across something very big. And it will continue to get bigger. Is OKC the next "Austin"? No of course not, OKC is just the next..OKC. That will mean something soon, and it already does in a very real way to us.

So yeah why not man, give it a try..become Okie. lol

CO-To-OKC
06-09-2010, 11:08 PM
Thanks for all of the great advice. It seems like the good outweighs the bad.

Larry OKC
06-10-2010, 12:12 AM
We will just have to agree to disagree then, seems fairly accurate to me.

xoxotiffanynicole
06-10-2010, 05:17 AM
Really? I always thought of OKC not being the best singles city. So many people in this state get married so young. And it seems that there are many good looking girls that move off to Dallas or somewhere. Just never thought of OKC being great for singles.

However, with Oklahomas divorce rate I guess there will always be some single folks out there. Its just that there is usually baggage attached.

You do have a lot of young couples getting married, but there are a LOT more singles of all ages.

Kerry
06-10-2010, 06:35 AM
I'm interested in moving to Oklahoma City because of the low cost of living and the conservative mindset of the area. I also have a friend who attends OU, and she says that she won't move outside of the area unless she absolutely has to.

What is the job market in OKC like right now? What would be the best way for me to search for a job (my degree is very versatile)? Is the life for singles good down there? Where can I find an affordable apartment ($600 or less) in a good area of the city?

Thanks

Back to topic...

If you are looking for a conservative lifestyle OKC is a good place to start. You're single now but someday you will be married and OKC offers you a pretty good chance that your mate will be of the same political persuasion, which is very important.

There is a lot to do in OKC and unlike a lot of other place, you can actually afford to do it. I used to live in California where there was a lot of stuff to do but I couldn't to do any of it.

As for apartments, checkout some of the offerings downtown. It is a pretty safe area, most of apartments are new, and they are close to entertainment and work (walking distance close). If you do end up working outside the downtown area you will be going the opposite direction of rush hour traffic which is always a plus.

Here is a listing of most downtown housing options (with pictures and links)
http://www.downtownokc.com/Default.aspx?tabid=106

Home | Park Harvey (http://www.theparkharvey.com/)
http://www.theparkharvey.com/Websites/parkharvey/PhotoGallery/63748/Copy%20of%20Folder_Sheets_8.pdf%20-%20Adobe%20Reader.jpg

G.Walker
06-10-2010, 07:11 AM
Hello all. I'm new to this forum, and considering a move to Oklahoma City in about a year (when I graduate college). Let me give some background about myself, and then I'll as a few questions.

I'm 23 years old, single, and about to start my last year of college. I'm majoring in communications and minoring in business. I live in Pueblo, Colorado, a blue-collar, old school town of about 100,000 people that doesn't offer many opportunities for college graduates. I wouldn't mind moving to the Denver area so that I can stay close to my family, but the cost of living up there is ridiculously high compared to other cities in the Midwest.

Thanks

To answer your question if you should move to OKC, yes.

Oklahoma City is very vibrant at the moment, and growing. While business's are expanding and upgrading of OKC continues, it would be a great time to move here before OKC reaches its prime. As far the job market, since you are a recent graduate, you can probably get a job in the University sector. OU offers alot of jobs for recent graduates, like research assistant jobs, as well as jobs working for a particular college, and contract jobs. Norman would be a good option for you, because you will be close to your friend, and also have a nice suburban feel, and slower pace than OKC, however you would only be 20 mins away from OKC, and could enjoy a nightlife in the Bricktown district on the weekends. You can get nice 1 to 2 bdrm apartment in Norman for $600/mo. Also, if Norman is not your style, OKlahoma City University is a great university with job opportunities, and cost of living is a little cheaper in OKC, as far as sections to live in the city, I would recommend Midtown, if you wanted to be close to downtown, or NW OKC around NW 36th May, Penn area up to NW 50th May, Penn area...

possumfritter
06-10-2010, 10:48 AM
G. Walker...Also some nice apartments in and around the Northwest Expressway and Council and several blocks north.

Would definitely stay away from the Wilshire Blvd/Lyrewood cluster of apartments...high crime area and they seem to have alot of apartment fires over there.

mugofbeer
06-10-2010, 02:24 PM

sooner, I was illustrating the lifestyle differences, not commenting about music. (LOL)

BG918
06-10-2010, 07:34 PM

A perfect setup for me would be to stay living in Oklahoma but have a job that send me to Denver for work once a month, preferably on a Friday so I could spend the weekend hiking or skiing before heading back to OK. I lived in Denver for a year and thought I would be in the mountains all the time but was lucky to get up there more than once a month.

Curt
06-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Take it from me..If you dont move to OKC you will regret it..I wanted to and did'nt..What a huge mistake...Just do it.

CuatrodeMayo
06-11-2010, 08:26 AM
There is an up-and-coming area called the Plaza District The Plaza District - Oklahoma City (http://www.plazadistrict.org/)

There are plenty of great, inexpensive, historical buildings in the area that rent for pretty cheap.