View Full Version : Pipkin Camera Store closing

BBatesokc
06-07-2010, 07:33 PM
Just saw a post to their FaceBook and Craigslist announcing the final days of Pipkin Cameras on N. Classen.

They've been around since the 40's and its sad to see them go. Honestly though, they appeared to have thrown in the towel years ago when they moved to their smaller current location.

I really think even in these days of Best Buy and Amazon.com there is a need for good quality local camera shops with knowledgeable staff and a decent used camera selection and even some weekend workshops.

bluedogok
06-07-2010, 08:11 PM
I didn't know Pipkin was still open, when we were up there over Memorial Day weekend we stopped in Epperson Photo and bought some stuff. Their prices are better than the local shop here in Austin.

BBatesokc
06-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Epperson's is headed the way of Pipkin's I'm afraid. While they have lowered their prices to compete a little closer with the big box stores and online retailers, their overall selection has been cut severely over the years. While they kept up with technology better than Pipkin's, they need new younger blood in there if they want to stay competitive.

khook
06-07-2010, 09:42 PM
went into pipkins a couple of years ago to get a camera repaired and they couldn't care less and didn't want to be bothered. So I couldn't care less that they're going out of business.

PokeyePierce
06-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Bakers in Yukon is awesome.

skyrick
06-08-2010, 05:36 AM
Are there any camera shops in OKC that cater to film photographers? We have Arlington Camera and a couple of stores in Dallas that still carry Kodak and Ilford chemicals and paper, but they are steadily reducing their analog inventory in favor of digital. I have to rely on Freestyle.com for some things, as they are still dedicated to traditional B/W photography.

kevinpate
06-08-2010, 06:09 AM
... I really think even in these days of Best Buy and Amazon.com there is a need for good quality local camera shops with knowledgeable staff and a decent used camera selection and even some weekend workshops.

I have a relative in a southern state who is employed for a local shop. Their service and their workshops keep the folks, and their funds, flowing in on a regular basis.

foodiefan
06-08-2010, 08:35 AM
Second the vote for Baker's in Yukon. They did a transfer of old, old film (circa late 30's to 40's) 8mm film to DVD for me last fall. . . great job. . .reasonable price.

OKCTalker
06-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Peggy never had her dad's (Bud) drive or interest, and rejected an offer to sell the former location to an Asian developer years ago. Pipkin Photo at its zenith had about a half-dozen locations in the metro - a real shame.

Epperson has survived so far only because of the local competitive vacuum. They can succeed in the face of big box & Internet competition, but only by offering greater expertise and support (better sales clerks than Best Buy). And by moving from 31st & May.

A common weakness of Pipkin & Epperson: They both owned their real estate instead of leasing it. When their customers moved farther away and the areas became marginal, they were locked in place. The lesson is to remember what business you're in.

metro
06-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Just saw a post to their FaceBook and Craigslist announcing the final days of Pipkin Cameras on N. Classen.

They've been around since the 40's and its sad to see them go. Honestly though, they appeared to have thrown in the towel years ago when they moved to their smaller current location.

I really think even in these days of Best Buy and Amazon.com there is a need for good quality local camera shops with knowledgeable staff and a decent used camera selection and even some weekend workshops.

Pipkin Cameras - endorsed by the video vigilante! :yourock:

yukong
06-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Baker's has become my favorite. Hank and his crew are great. And they will deal with you. There are some things that are sometimes cheaper at Epperson's, but sometimes I feel like they really couldn't care less if I was in there or not. Sometimes they are great. But Baker's crew is always great and helpful.