View Full Version : iPhone 4 release

Pages : [1] 2

metro
06-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Live: Steve Jobs unveils iPhone 4 - USATODAY.com (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2010/06/apple-expected-to-unveil-latest-edition-of-iphone/1)

Lord Helmet
06-07-2010, 04:23 PM
My 3g is long in the tooth. I'll be getting one on June 24th.

Of Sound Mind
06-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Mine too... but I will be pre-ordering online... don't want to stand in long lines if I don't have to, even if I have to wait an extra day or two for it to arrive.

redrunner
06-07-2010, 09:32 PM
I think I'm finally enticed to cross over to the iphone. Anyone interested in buying a pre-owned HTC Hero smartphone?

rod4soonrs
06-08-2010, 08:43 AM
I still have my original, don't know if I want to part with it.

redrunner
06-14-2010, 10:29 PM
Anyone going to reserve the new iphone 4 tomorrow? I haven't heard a lot of hype about it and I'm hoping to place a reservation tomorrow when the window opens up. Should I expect that the Apple store is going to be a mad house tomorrow?

andimthomas
06-14-2010, 11:05 PM
I've heard that Walmart will be selling the iPhone 4 on the actual release date. So if this info is true, then I would just show up at a Walmart location. They won't let you reserve, but really. How many people are going to think of buying their iPhone at Walmart?

Dustin
06-15-2010, 12:37 AM
Forget the iPhone 4. I have iPhone 3g and im wanting to switch to the HTC Evo! Its an amazing phone! 1Ghz processor in other words SUPER FREAKIN FAST!

redrunner
06-15-2010, 11:32 AM
I saw the HTC Evo a few weeks ago when my friend bought it on the launch day. That thing is as big as a VCR. I just pre-ordered my iPhone 4 online. Little did I know, I can get a 16% discount off the minute and data plan from my corporate employee discount.

bigjkt405
06-15-2010, 12:49 PM
The EVO is great.

Jon27
06-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Forget the iPhone 4. I have iPhone 3g and im wanting to switch to the HTC Evo! Its an amazing phone! 1Ghz processor in other words SUPER FREAKIN FAST!

iPhone 4 is 1ghz.

BBatesokc
06-16-2010, 09:03 AM
Pretty big Apple fan here (got the 17" MacBook Pro, huge iMac, iPod Touch and iPad), but I'm just not really tempted to do the whole iPhone thing.

I prefer the Android OS phones. I have the Samsung Moment and I'm looking to get the Sprint HTC EVO in the coming days. My wife actually has the Palm Pixi and claims its the best phone she's ever had.

NikonNurse
06-16-2010, 01:33 PM
I switched to a Verizon Droid on Saturday. I have yet to have a dropped call. It was a daily, almost every phone call occurrence with my 3g (even after diagnostics said nothing was wrong with the phone). The i phone is a cool gadget but a crappy phone....this is why the i pad was invented was it not ?(HA!) ( And I got that this weekend as an anniversary present so....I'm set...I have a great phone and the cool gadget and not even thinking about the 4G Mess...)

Of Sound Mind
06-16-2010, 02:59 PM
I was able to successfully order four of the iPhone 4's yesterday with delivery expected next Thursday.

While others malign the iPhone, our family has found it to be a very useful, effective and fun tool as well as a reasonably reliable phone. It's not a perfect device, but I haven't found one that is.

Bostonfan
06-18-2010, 07:25 AM
I've been thinking about getting the iphone, so I did some checking. The first thing I found out is I can't get unlimited web time with the iphone. Is there a need to worry about that? I would hate to get the iphone just to worry how many minutes I have left. So I checked out the EVO. Wow, this phone is getting some great reviews. Plus I can get unlimited web time. Would have to switch back to Sprint though, but I might be willing to do that. Thoughts??

Eep
06-18-2010, 09:35 AM
I switched to a Verizon Droid on Saturday. I have yet to have a dropped call. It was a daily, almost every phone call occurrence with my 3g (even after diagnostics said nothing was wrong with the phone). The i phone is a cool gadget but a crappy phone...
I strongly suspect that this has little to do with you switching phones, and a lot to do with you switching carriers. I use my iPhone on T-Mobile and do not have issues with dropped calls, unlike my iPhone-using friends and family on ATT. I also don't have issues with "dead spots" and get reception in places they don't.

I've been thinking about getting the iphone, so I did some checking. The first thing I found out is I can't get unlimited web time with the iphone. Is there a need to worry about that? I would hate to get the iphone just to worry how many minutes I have left.
That depends on how and where you are going to end up using your phone. Any data you move over wifi is of course free, so if you do the majority of your data consumption in places you'll have wifi access, you probably won't have anything to worry about. Even tethering my phone to my laptop somewhat frequently, I don't come near 2 GB/mo. If you will be using your data services in places that you don't have wifi the majority of the time, you could theoretically run into issues. You're still unlikely to hit that limit checking email, browsing the web, looking at rss, twittering, facebooking, checking sports scores, etc. If you are going to be constantly streaming something over cellular data, like music via Pandora or video from your Slingbox, hitting or exceeding that limit is a reasonable concern.

So I checked out the EVO. Wow, this phone is getting some great reviews. Plus I can get unlimited web time. Would have to switch back to Sprint though, but I might be willing to do that. Thoughts??
Sprint doesn't have a great reputation here in OKC, but it's possible things have gotten better here over the last few years. I'd definitely want to talk to a few current local Sprint users before I'd go under contract with them. The Evo is a nice phone, but do realize that Sprint doesn't currently offer 4G coverage in OK, so you'll be on 3G til they upgrade their network here.

Another option along the same lines would be Verizon's Droid Incredible. The people I know here with Verizon here say the coverage is very good, but I have no personal experience with it.

Here's a pretty high-level, quick'n'dirty comparison between the three:
iPhone 4 vs. HTC Evo vs. Droid Incredible [INFOGRAPHIC] (http://mashable.com/2010/06/07/iphone-evo-droid-infographic/)

Bostonfan
06-19-2010, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the info, Eep. That is really helpful!

Dustin
06-19-2010, 06:12 PM
Evo is sold out everywhere.. except for maybe Radio Shack, I haven't tried there.. This sucks.

Midtowner
06-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Downloaded the update.. anyone having a backup running at 4+ hours?

JLCinOKC
06-22-2010, 09:35 AM
I read an article on the web that the update should be done as a "restore" instead of an "update". A restore backs up your iPhone, wipes it back to factory settings back to the original OS, updates the software then restores your personal information on the phone. They said it was especially helpful on the 3G.

I have one reserved at the Apple Store on Thursday, but the wording of the reservation email is giving me pause. I'm not sure if I want to wait in line if I'm not guaranteed a phone. But I still have the 1st Gen and I'm not getting ANY iOS4 love!

"Pre-authorization does not guarantee iPhone availability at an Apple Retail Store. iPhone is sold on a first-come, first-served basis."

HewenttoJared
06-22-2010, 11:54 AM
I've heard that Walmart will be selling the iPhone 4 on the actual release date. So if this info is true, then I would just show up at a Walmart location. They won't let you reserve, but really. How many people are going to think of buying their iPhone at Walmart?

I'll be at the I-35 Edmond one around 5am Thursday. The third party carrier system comes up at 8 so that's when they will start selling.

HewenttoJared
06-22-2010, 11:55 AM
OS 4 rocks btw.

flintysooner
06-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Probably took 5 or 6 hours including one restart because the first one ended in error. Few apps won't load at all or load and abort immediately. Seems to me taking more memory. Over all seems a little faster maybe.

Then about 4 hours after installation got the NO SIM message. Finally had to remove SIM and put it back in to fix that. Could be coincidence of course.

Thinking about getting a backup phone on a different carrier anyway.

redrunner
06-22-2010, 07:22 PM
My iphone4 shipped today. ETA 3pm tomorrow.

Casey
06-30-2010, 10:30 PM
Are these still available in pre-order only? I was in Missouri for the past little while and none of the stores had any for sale.

stick47
07-06-2010, 07:51 AM
This definately isn't safe for work so open at your own risk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg&feature=player_embedded

HewenttoJared
07-13-2010, 08:20 AM
iPhone 4 rocks. The Evo is the only close competitor now and it has half the battery life and the screen doesn't start to compare. Once FaceTime goes 3G-live Apple will be untouchable again.

Has anyone else noticed the amazing number of articles predicting the coming android take-over? I have used both systems extensively and I can't imagine how anyone thinks Android can replace iOS4 for most consumers.

JLCinOKC
07-13-2010, 03:09 PM
I have had zero problems with my iPhone 4. Even when I touch the antenna no-no spot! It's a wonderful device! I'm eagerly waiting for a decent case though. It makes me nervous carrying around 2 pieces of glass sandwiched between a strip of aluminum!

The display is absolutely amazing, it's fast and iOS4 is the best operating system to date! I think Android looks like a comic book compared to Apple's OS.

Lord Helmet
07-15-2010, 09:15 AM
Looks like a possible recall is coming:

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/07/14/apple-to-hold-special-iphone-4-press-conference-on-friday/

BDP
07-15-2010, 04:58 PM
The Evo is a nice phone, but do realize that Sprint doesn't currently offer 4G coverage in OK

But you still have to pay for it. I was looking at the EVO until I found this:

http://shop.sprint.com/en/shop/why_sprint/4g/evo_plan_details.html

That's a $10 mandatory "upgrade" fee for 4G.... even if you can't get it. Seriously, I asked.

Also, notice that if you want to use the mobile hotspot feature (very cool feature of the phone, imo) that's another $29.99 a month. None of this is found on their regular plan and pricing page. I think the EVO is a kick ass phone, but no way will I switch to a company that pulls that kind of crap. AT&T may suck, but it's at least transparent.

flintysooner
07-17-2010, 06:25 AM
Got my iPhone 4 yesterday. No problems at all in activating. Stellar performance in every category. Can't believe how slow my old one was by comparison.

No dropped calls at all and much improved reception even in areas where I consistently had trouble with my previous phone. Network seems faster and Wi-fi connectivity appears to be improved to me as well but could be just the speed of the phone.

I've tried every way I know to reproduce the antenna death grip symptoms but I can't make it happen.

Best phone I've ever had, outstanding camera and surprisingly good video. I really like how the multi-tasking works - that's a great improvement.

I'm not a big Apple fan but this thing is very good.

BBatesokc
07-17-2010, 06:56 AM

That's a $10 mandatory "upgrade" fee for 4G.... even if you can't get it. Seriously, I asked.

Also, notice that if you want to use the mobile hotspot feature (very cool feature of the phone, imo) that's another $29.99 a month. None of this is found on their regular plan and pricing page. I think the EVO is a kick ass phone, but no way will I switch to a company that pulls that kind of crap. AT&T may suck, but it's at least transparent.

Odd we upgraded 2 of the phones on our 4 phone family plan to EVO's and we were not charged any kind of $10 upgrade fee in our statement. We were told about the $24 wifi hot spot enabling fee. I'll be utilizing that as soon as my mifi contract expires and it will be cheaper ($29 as opposed to $49 and I won't have to carry around another device).

Even with Sprint's fees, I've still never found any plans as cheap as theirs (4 phones, a few thousand minutes, free calls to any cell phone on any plan at any time, unlimited online, texts and pic texts, insurance on two phones) plus a mifi card for only $249/month (after taxes and fees).

Verizon carries the Palm Pre and Pixi Plus models with wifi hot spot ability, but last I checked they want an additional $40/month as opposed to Sprint's $29. And, last I checked the iPhone can't do that at all unless you void your warranty by jail breaking it. Even then I read the results were not very reliable.

flintysooner
07-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Batter life is outstanding, too. That's an important improvement for me.

Kerry
07-19-2010, 01:59 PM
No dropped calls at all and much improved reception even in areas where I consistently had trouble with my previous phone. Network seems faster and Wi-fi connectivity appears to be improved to me as well but could be just the speed of the phone.

I've tried every way I know to reproduce the antenna death grip symptoms but I can't make it happen.

Best phone I've ever had, outstanding camera and surprisingly good video. I really like how the multi-tasking works - that's a great improvement.

I'm not a big Apple fan but this thing is very good.

I caught a few minutes of the Kim Kamando show over the weekend and she did a pretty job explaining the dropped call issue, and why you 'think' you are getting better coverage. It seems there is no industry standard regarding the number of 'bars' shown on your screen. Every cell company uses their own algorithm to determine signal strength and it seems Apple made theirs to show that you were getting a better signal than you really where. When people are in an area where the phone says they have two bars, they really should of had a one, or none. So they make a call and it drops. Steve Jobs wouldn't admit this is what is happening but gave it away when he said they got the algorithm wrong and would fix it via a software update.

flintysooner
07-19-2010, 04:57 PM
I caught a few minutes of the Kim Kamando show over the weekend and she did a pretty job explaining the dropped call issue, and why you 'think' you are getting better coverage. It seems there is no industry standard regarding the number of 'bars' shown on your screen. Every cell company uses their own algorithm to determine signal strength and it seems Apple made theirs to show that you were getting a better signal than you really where. When people are in an area where the phone says they have two bars, they really should of had a one, or none. So they make a call and it drops. Steve Jobs wouldn't admit this is what is happening but gave it away when he said they got the algorithm wrong and would fix it via a software update.Nope. I have been using an iPhone well over 2 years. Usually I had to switch to a Mophie Pack every day to get through the day until I could recharge. I use about every feature offered and by a lot.

I have not had one dropped call period. I don't pay attention to the bars and could care less about how many are shown. But I know what dropped calls are because I definitely had them although I can't say it happened any more frequently than with any other service I've used.

Another thing I just discovered with the new OS is that Notes now are automatically uploaded to my Google email account. That was a surprise but a very nice one.

The only trouble I've had is with my car charger which doesn't work with the bumper I put on.

And the better battery life I'm getting is worth the upgrade all by itself.

Thunder
07-21-2010, 03:49 AM
iPhone 4 is now considered "junk" compared to the EVO.

Sprint is not pulling any kind of crap, you uneducated fool. The $10 fee is for 4G. Most areas do not have 4G, but still required to pay $10, is a valid debate...something that Sprint did not want to take on the task of organizing who should pay the fee or not. Still, it is cheaper than AT&T and we get much more bandwidth in return than AT&T will ever offer. 4G has unlimited bandwidth while there is a 5GB cap on 3G. 4G is not available in OK yet, but will be soon. The $10 fee also help Sprint to offer us the EVO at a lowered price. It is only 10 bux a month, so stop being a whimp.

As for the mobile hotspot, I see nothing wrong with paying $30 for that feature. If you want to use full-blown Internet on your computer by connecting thru the phone, then you should pay for using up such resources. But it will drain the battery life faster. Why whine about the cost for it? If you don't want it....you still have to pay for the Internet elsewhere (cable, dsl, stats, dialup). Your post made yourself look like a fool.

Btw, you mentioned that it was not found on the regular plan and pricing page. You failed! It is found as an Add-On when you go thru the order process. Go ahead, try it and see for yourself. You can check it out, see it, without clicking the confirmation button.

Everyone, drop whatever iPhone you have and move onto the EVO. It is time to Move Forward. No more junk of the past.

Edit Addition:

The link you provided.... http://shop.sprint.com/en/shop/why_sprint/4g/evo_plan_details.html ...and you claimed that you can not find the price for the Mobile Hotspot.... It is all on that page! "If you'd like to use your phone's Mobile Hotspot feature, don't forget to add our optional $29.99/mo. Mobile Hotspot add-on."

flintysooner
07-21-2010, 06:00 AM
I liked both the EVO and the DroidX. Had they been available I could have been a customer for one of them but they weren't so it didn't matter.

Ultimately I concluded that neither the EVO nor the DroidX offered sufficiently more to make me leave iPhone.

I had already decided to get one of them as a backup phone and network if I kept having problems with AT&T's network. But my experience now with the iPhone 4 and AT&T is so much better that I've postponed that decision.

While I'm at it I have to recommend the AT&T store in Moore and one young lady whose name I fail to recall in particular.

Edit: Actually I like this iPhone 4 enough that I am thinking seriously of getting other Apple products.

CuatrodeMayo
07-21-2010, 07:36 AM
Ditto. The 1st gen iphone was my first apple product (besides the ipod nano) and I have been nothing but impressed. I've been toying with the idea of making the jump.

redrunner
07-21-2010, 07:39 AM
nvm

redrunner
07-21-2010, 07:41 AM
@ Thunder. Wow, you're kind of an a-hole!

HewenttoJared
07-22-2010, 06:07 AM
They are hard to come by for retailers at the moment. I can't even get Apple to acknowledge my shipments of them, and I'm only ordering enough volume for one afternoon. I know someoen who pre-ordered this week and was told 7-8 weeks for delivery. So they must really be gone...

Martin
07-22-2010, 06:34 AM
sprint is not pulling any kind of crap, you uneducated fool.

what is up with this? totally unnecessary. -M

Kerry
07-22-2010, 10:26 AM
Nope. I have been using an iPhone well over 2 years. Usually I had to switch to a Mophie Pack every day to get through the day until I could recharge. I use about every feature offered and by a lot.

I have not had one dropped call period. I don't pay attention to the bars and could care less about how many are shown. But I know what dropped calls are because I definitely had them although I can't say it happened any more frequently than with any other service I've used.

The bars show the wattage between your phone and the cell tower - not the amount of charge left on your battery. All I am telling you is what Consumer Reports found and what Kim Kammando (a huge Apple fan) had to say about it.

Apple is going to fix it via a software update and in the mean time they are giving you a band that will trick the phone into displaying the correct number of bars.

BBatesokc
07-22-2010, 10:35 AM
The bars show the wattage between your phone and the cell tower - not the amount of charge left on your battery. All I am telling you is what Consumer Reports found and what Kim Kammando (a huge Apple fan) had to say about it.

Apple is going to fix it via a software update and in the mean time they are giving you a band that will trick the phone into displaying the correct number of bars.

I don't believe the free band/case 'tricks' anything. It puts a barrier between the person's hand and the outer part of the phone that is used as an antenna - which in turns keeps the reception from dropping off.

flintysooner
07-22-2010, 12:13 PM

Apple is going to fix it via a software update and in the mean time they are giving you a band that will trick the phone into displaying the correct number of bars.All I am telling you is my experience of usage and I am not an Apple fan. My reception is far superior with this iPhone 4 than it was with my previous iPhone 3. I have not been able to force a call to drop by holding the receiver.

I ignore the bars and always have since I've been using phones that had them.

PS: I know what the bars indicate.

flintysooner
07-22-2010, 12:42 PM
They are hard to come by for retailers at the moment. I can't even get Apple to acknowledge my shipments of them, and I'm only ordering enough volume for one afternoon. I know someoen who pre-ordered this week and was told 7-8 weeks for delivery. So they must really be gone...I have to get my wife a white one. One does have to appreciate the effectiveness of Apple's marketing.

HewenttoJared
07-23-2010, 04:21 PM
you uneducated fool.

super villian much?

HewenttoJared
07-23-2010, 04:24 PM
No reception problems or returns on any of the 80+ iPhone 4's I have sold thusfar, and we've tried to cause the bars to drop hundreds of times. And as stated above, even if the bars did drop reception would still be superior to most other phones out there. The Evo is a definite close second for tech-savvy consumers, but not for any random person.

Kerry
07-27-2010, 09:49 AM
All I am telling you is my experience of usage and I am not an Apple fan. My reception is far superior with this iPhone 4 than it was with my previous iPhone 3. I have not been able to force a call to drop by holding the receiver.

I ignore the bars and always have since I've been using phones that had them.

PS: I know what the bars indicate.

I guess this is where I am losing you (or you are losing me). What do you mean when you say your reception is far superior with the iP4 than it was with iP3? I am trying to put this in context of how my phone works. There are some places where my phone doesn't get a good signal. If I am on a call in these areas I am pretty sure I will drop the call. Likewise, if I am streaming a radio station I might run out of buffer before I get back to an area with good reception. Are you saying you experienced areas like this with iP3 and with the iP4 you don't - while everything else stayed the same (i.e. no new towers)?

flintysooner
07-27-2010, 11:38 AM
I guess this is where I am losing you (or you are losing me). What do you mean when you say your reception is far superior with the iP4 than it was with iP3? I am trying to put this in context of how my phone works. There are some places where my phone doesn't get a good signal. If I am on a call in these areas I am pretty sure I will drop the call. Likewise, if I am streaming a radio station I might run out of buffer before I get back to an area with good reception. Are you saying you experienced areas like this with iP3 and with the iP4 you don't - while everything else stayed the same (i.e. no new towers)?

At certain geographical locations around Oklahoma City I experienced lots of dropped and/or intermittent voice calls, sketchy text messaging, and usually unavailable Internet with my iPhone 3. With my new iPhone 4 I have not had a dropped call period in these same locations. Neither have I had an "unable to send" text message nor has my Internet connection failed.

Since my wife's phone is still iPhone 3 and since she is often with me and since she still has those same old issues in the same old places then it is my opinion that my iPhone 4 is providing me with superior reception.

I've experimented with gripping the receiver in different ways and have not been able to either cause actual reception to change or to change the reception bars. However, the reception bars display issue was supposedly corrected in iPhone OS 4.0.1 and I've been using it from the outset with my iPhone 4.

I don't know about streaming radio.

PS: I haven't had a dropped phone call at all with the iPhone 4.

Kerry
07-27-2010, 12:35 PM
I've experimented with gripping the receiver in different ways and have not been able to either cause actual reception to change or to change the reception bars. However, the reception bars display issue was supposedly corrected in iPhone OS 4.0.1 and I've been using it from the outset with my iPhone 4.

I think the answer to the riddle is right there. Steve Jobs said he was going to fix it via a software upgrade. It looks like you had the upgrade all along. There is no way Apple can change the physical properties of you phone antenna using software. That was what Kim Kamando was talking about on her radio show last week. It was never a problem with hardware design, it was a flaw in the software design (a flaw you never had).

Lord Helmet
07-27-2010, 01:34 PM
I've been able to recreate the antenna issue on my wife's iPhone 4. I still don't think I'd rather have another phone. I'll just put the bumper on it and be happy :)

flintysooner
07-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Right now I am in a place where my display shows zero bars. On iPhone 3 the display was 2 or 3 bars.

More importantly I used to have no Internet here and limited text and not much voice. But now I have voice, text, and data.

Much better.

metro
07-29-2010, 12:52 PM
I've been able to recreate the antenna issue on my wife's iPhone 4. I still don't think I'd rather have another phone. I'll just put the bumper on it and be happy :)

I've found that if you get a paper clip and unfold it half way, duct tape it on, it works even better. It's much cheaper than Apple's new accessory.

http://www.whiterabbitcult.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Apple-Iphone-4-Fix.jpg

Of Sound Mind
07-29-2010, 01:30 PM
I've found that if you get a paper clip and unfold it half way, duct tape it on, it works even better. It's much cheaper than Apple's new accessory.

It's cheaper than a FREE case or bumper?

Eep
07-29-2010, 01:37 PM
It's cheaper than a FREE case or bumper?
*whoosh*

MightyHorse
07-29-2010, 01:48 PM

Clear nail polish fixed mine. No need for an ugly bumper.

HewenttoJared
08-07-2010, 06:40 AM
The cases all mar the look though. And it is one of the most gorgeous small electronic devices ever built. :(

JLCinOKC
08-08-2010, 08:59 AM
It is FABULOUS, but it's glass! It's going in a case! A friend has already dropped his and shattered out the back. I ordered a clear case so I can still see the beauty of the phone and give it some protection. At least until the case gets scratched up!

And btw.... still has NOT dropped a call!

flintysooner
08-08-2010, 12:26 PM
I've not had one dropped call either. I am so impressed with this thing.

I put the little bumper thing on mine although I really didn't feel I needed it. I've dropped it once so far and the bumper thing apparently helped because there was no damage at all. Only thing I don't like about the bumper thing is that I can't balance he phone on its edge anymore. On the other hand I can set it against something and it doesn't slide off.