View Full Version : Sand Volleyball courts in OKC area

OU Adonis
06-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Hi guys.

I am looking for a public access sand volleyball court. I would prefer for it to be in an area where we could choose to have a beer or two if possible. The only available ones I know are close by me (Yukon) or at Draper. I am looking for something more centrally located.

Also, if anyone is familar with the MDA fundraiser where its a mudd volleyball tourny, I am still looking for a couple of people for my team.

fuzzytoad
06-07-2010, 11:16 AM
I would prefer for it to be in an area where we could choose to have a beer or two if possible.

Unfortunately, that's illegal in Oklahoma..

There was a post, or thread, a while back where someone was complaining about this very thing since she and her friends got ticketed for it in OKC...

OU Adonis
06-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Well its not illegal in oklahoma, but I am pretty sure its illegal in OKC city limits.. but I was mainly talking about an area centrally located.. doesn't have to be actually in OKC proper.

fuzzytoad
06-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Well its not illegal in oklahoma, but I am pretty sure its illegal in OKC city limits.. but I was mainly talking about an area centrally located.. doesn't have to be actually in OKC proper.

??

Oklahoma state statutes - Title 37 - Section 8 -
Any person who shall, in any public place, or in or upon any passenger coach, streetcar, or in or upon any other vehicle commonly used for the transportation of passengers, or in or about any depot, platform, waiting station or room, drink or otherwise consume any intoxicating liquor unless authorized by the Oklahoma Alcoholic Beverage Control Act, intoxicating substance, or intoxicating compound of any kind, or inhale glue, paint or other intoxicating substance, or if any person shall be drunk or intoxicated in any public or private road, or in any passenger coach, streetcar, or any public place or building, or at any public gathering, from drinking or consuming such intoxicating liquor, intoxicating substance or intoxicating compound or from inhalation of glue, paint or other intoxicating substance, or if any person shall be drunk or intoxicated from any cause and shall disturb the peace of any person, he shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by a fine of not less than Ten Dollars ($10.00), nor more than One Hundred Dollars ($100.00), or by imprisonment for not less than five (5) days nor more than thirty (30) days, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

Did it get changed recently?

OU Adonis
06-07-2010, 11:36 AM
If that was applied to every person outside of a building then you would have no one drinking at lakes or the illinois river.

I have been floating the illinois river for 10 years and they specificially state that beer 3.2 is ok, but drinks above that are not.

fuzzytoad
06-07-2010, 11:55 AM
If that was applied to every person outside of a building then you would have no one drinking at lakes or the illinois river.

I have been floating the illinois river for 10 years and they specificially state that beer 3.2 is ok, but drinks above that are not.

That's probably authorized by the Oklahoma Alcoholic Beverage Control Act as stated in the Statute..

Just telling you what I know..

I knew about the Statute because it was read back to me at a company cookout at Haikey Creek park a few years ago, plus what's been reported on this forum about getting ticketed at Parks around the city/state..

I guess once you find a place to play Volleyball, you can ask them what is or is not enforced :smile:

metro
06-07-2010, 12:24 PM
It's not technically public, but SNU has one just north of their tennis courts (NW 42nd and Peniel, just 2 blocks north of NW 39th), in which the public plays from time to time. It's not gated or anything, probably if you're wanting to sip beer at the same time, probably will get kicked out though. I know there was some pay place that was advertising heavily a year or two ago, which sounds exactly what you're looking for, minus the fee, but I forget the name.

mmonroe
06-07-2010, 01:44 PM
The place was called City Beach and it's been closed for almost two years. It's not a Head Quarters for some ministry.

Martin
06-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Not exactly centrally located, but Newcastle has a couple public sand courts. -M

OU Adonis
06-07-2010, 01:57 PM
The only place I have found is the Alley club but I have never been there and I wasn't trying to go to a place that was an actual bar.

jstanthrnme
06-07-2010, 02:28 PM
??

Oklahoma state statutes - Title 37 - Section 8 -
Any person who shall, in any public place, or in or upon any passenger coach, streetcar, or in or upon any other vehicle commonly used for the transportation of passengers, or in or about any depot, platform, waiting station or room, drink or otherwise consume any intoxicating liquor unless authorized by the Oklahoma Alcoholic Beverage Control Act, intoxicating substance, or intoxicating compound of any kind, or inhale glue, paint or other intoxicating substance, or if any person shall be drunk or intoxicated in any public or private road, or in any passenger coach, streetcar, or any public place or building, or at any public gathering, from drinking or consuming such intoxicating liquor, intoxicating substance or intoxicating compound or from inhalation of glue, paint or other intoxicating substance, or if any person shall be drunk or intoxicated from any cause and shall disturb the peace of any person, he shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by a fine of not less than Ten Dollars ($10.00), nor more than One Hundred Dollars ($100.00), or by imprisonment for not less than five (5) days nor more than thirty (30) days, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

Did it get changed recently?

If I recall from an alcohol awareness class I took while working in a restaurant, 3.2 beer is not classified as an "intoxicating" beverage in Oklahoma.

Landon
07-14-2010, 02:34 PM
I want to play in that if you still need someone. Also, I'm in Edmond play with a group of guys Tues, Sat, and Sun. Its good competitive volleyball. If you still need another player or you want to know more about playing, if your on facebook, join the group Edmond Volleyball and find a guy named Colby.

Easy180
07-14-2010, 05:23 PM
The only place I have found is the Alley club but I have never been there and I wasn't trying to go to a place that was an actual bar.

I was just about to mention this place even though it didn't exactly match what you are looking for ...Have a pretty nice setup

High voltage9
05-03-2011, 11:39 AM
I am visiting in a couple weeks. Were can I find open sand or indoor play on a weekend?

Channing
cashe90@hotmail.com

Bigrayok
05-03-2011, 06:09 PM
There is a bar in Mustang on Highway 152 that has a big outdoor volleyball tounament every year. It is the one with the big Mustang statue in front.

Bigray in Ok

ljbab728
05-03-2011, 09:42 PM
There is a bar in Mustang on Highway 152 that has a big outdoor volleyball tounament every year. It is the one with the big Mustang statue in front.

Bigray in Ok

That's the Silver Stallion.

BDK
05-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Hafer Park in Edmond had some when I was living up there, and I'm pretty sure the whole area hasn't been developed yet...

nhmatt
06-27-2011, 09:42 PM
A group of us plays on sand at Mesta Park nearly every Sunday about 630pm. 18th & Sartel. Call me for more info 405-3 seven 0- 9543. MAtt

NEWMANIA
07-11-2011, 07:13 PM
For all your up to date volleyball info: www.oklahomabeachvolleyball.com