View Full Version : Economic side of expanding the WCWS in OKC?

Laramie
06-06-2010, 02:01 PM
The Women's College World Series is a runaway tourism success story. Fans come from far and Far Far Away to watch the NCAA find a softball champion.

And now the NCAA wants Oklahoma City to get just as excited about its June jewel.

For all the talk about the explosion of this tournament — and explode it has, with crowds routinely over 8,000 through the weekend — the credit belongs outside state lines.

The World Series has bustling throngs not so much because Oklahoma City has gone ga-ga over women's softball, but because ESPN beamed the tournament all over America, and all kinds of people decided they had to see the event for themselves.

A 2007 NCAA study found that 87.5 percent of the fans at Hall of Fame Stadium came from outside Oklahoma. I think that's probably a little skewed. But 70 percent wouldn't surprise me.

The truth is, Oklahomans haven't embraced the event with the fervor as have softball fans from across the nation. And with the NCAA and the All Sports Association talking about a long-term agreement to keep the Series in OKC, some requirements could be in order.

1. Expand the stadium, not just in seats but amenities.

2. Build the fan base even more, especially for the championship series, which begins Monday and runs either two or three games.

Read more: Berry Tramel: Local support needed to get WCWS to next level | NewsOK.com (http://www.newsok.com/berry-tramel-local-support-needed-to-get-wcws-to-next-level/article/3466218?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz0q6XyMBB F)
--Berry Tramel, Oklahoman

Do we move the Women's College World Series to the Brick or do we expand Hall of Fall Stadium in the Adventure District?

Spartan
06-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Bricktown it.

Laramie
06-06-2010, 02:11 PM
Might be to our advantage to look at using the Brick until a study can be made on expanding Hall of Fame Stadium...

kevinpate
06-06-2010, 02:13 PM
What's the current capacity at Hall of Fame, and what is the expansion capacity.
I'm not a softball or baseball devotee, but a friend speaks of the vol time he and others put in out there with a level of reverence and devotion that is striking. If others truly feel as my friend does, moving to BT would likely be met with a lot of resistance.

Perhaps the dedicated location is part of its appeal.

Spartan
06-06-2010, 02:26 PM
It would seem to me that Bricktown would offer a LOT more that the Adventure District can't. Fans of various sporting events continuously anchored in Bricktown love the environment.

Paseofreak
06-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Haven't made it out there yet this year, but for the past three ESPN staff have had the fans move in toward home plate to make the the stands look better. More so as losing teams fans go home. Amenities might make a difference, but I don't thinks seating capacity is an issue yet. The Brick would be great for it's adjacent attractions, but filling it up could be a real chore. Chicken or Egg? Your guess is as good as mine.

Spartan
06-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Yeah obviously the crowds of 8,000 aren't ever in the stadium all at once.

Laramie
06-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Bricktown might be a temporary fix or possibly a permanent fix depending on the promotions which Bricktown might offer.

I agree with what Spartan said, " It would seem to me that Bricktown would offer a LOT more than the Adventure District... ...Fans of various sporting events continuously anchored in Bricktown love the environment. "

Bricktown could offer more than the Adventure District especially with a better quailty of restauants and hotels in walking distance--when people are ready to eat, they want more than a hamburger from the Eastern Avenue McDonald's and many are too young for the environment which Remington Park Racino offers.

Hall of Fame Stadium could be used for World Cup of Softball and other events.

I feel that the NCAA really wants Oklahoma City to take this event and run with it.

We lost this event to Columbus, GA for one year it was hosted by Golden Park Stadium (5,000-seats) and I'm sure other communities will start making a pitch for this event.

Golden Park Stadium: http://www.ballparkreviews.com/columbga/columbga.htm

MIKELS129
06-08-2010, 04:40 PM
As a long time fan of the WCWS when you still had to sit on the hill... I would say NO NO NO to Bricktown. Bricktown can't compete with the serenity and beautiful views from the Hall of Fame Stadium stands. I think Bricktown would corrupt the experience.

SWOKC 4 me
06-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Perhaps a regular shuttle/bus service directly to Bricktown during this week. I don't know if they currently do anything like that but I think it would make sense to at least shuttle people back and fourth between the Adventure District and BT. This way they could keep the games in the more quiet Adventure District (quiet adventure district seems like an oxymoron) and give people easier options for food/entertainment by taking a direct shuttle.

mugofbeer
06-08-2010, 07:57 PM
If the WCWS is expanded, would it be feasible for a 2nd stadium to be built? Expanding the main stadium would be great, especially if there were nearby schools playing in the tourney but do they need better practice facilities? I thought there was supposed to be some tourist train put in to run from downtown to Lincoln Park? What about the streetcar/light rail project?

Spartan
06-08-2010, 08:00 PM
As a long time fan of the WCWS when you still had to sit on the hill... I would say NO NO NO to Bricktown. Bricktown can't compete with the serenity and beautiful views from the Hall of Fame Stadium stands. I think Bricktown would corrupt the experience.

I can actually understand this, but I would oppose spending a lot to expand that stadium for the sake of keeping it there. Don't want to corrupt the experience, that's great, but no ballpark expansion. If we're going to corrupt the experience, it needs to be done in Bricktown. If not, then that's fine too.

mmonroe
06-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Bricktown... putting all our eggs into one basket. Let the Adventure District, be the Adventure District. Bring up the area itself. Not everything has to be in Bricktown. I see no improvements in the Adventure District because there isn't enough involvement in the area to warrant upgrades to the area. With attractions like this staying in the Adventure District, it's giving it some life outside of the Zoo, Omniplex (yes I know, Science Museum Oklahoma) and Remington. Btw, I think an Aquarium would be a great addition to the Adventure District and not the River.

kevinpate
06-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Haven't made it out there yet this year, but for the past three ESPN staff have had the fans move in toward home plate to make the the stands look better. More so as losing teams fans go home. Amenities might make a difference, but I don't thinks seating capacity is an issue yet. The Brick would be great for it's adjacent attractions, but filling it up could be a real chore. Chicken or Egg? Your guess is as good as mine.

So, looking at this again, is the issue not so much about running out of space but more about overcoming low support from locals for the event?

If they are scooting folks in to make for better camera perception, there can't be a real need to add seating. Would moving the event 1/2 way across town give or take a block actually get more folks to go?

ljbab728
06-09-2010, 10:54 PM
So, looking at this again, is the issue not so much about running out of space but more about overcoming low support from locals for the event?

If they are scooting folks in to make for better camera perception, there can't be a real need to add seating. Would moving the event 1/2 way across town give or take a block actually get more folks to go?

At this point, having enought seats really isn't the main issue unless a local school was involved, like Oklahoma was a few years ago. I think the more important issue is getting more permanent seating instead of the temporary bleachers in the outfield. Those look a little tacky on national televison.

Spartan
06-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Bricktown... putting all our eggs into one basket. Let the Adventure District, be the Adventure District. Bring up the area itself. Not everything has to be in Bricktown. I see no improvements in the Adventure District because there isn't enough involvement in the area to warrant upgrades to the area. With attractions like this staying in the Adventure District, it's giving it some life outside of the Zoo, Omniplex (yes I know, Science Museum Oklahoma) and Remington. Btw, I think an Aquarium would be a great addition to the Adventure District and not the River.

The Adventure District is like the Edmond of local attractions..that's why it's difficult for me to get behind.

Larry OKC
06-10-2010, 12:06 AM
WCWS notebook: Made to be broken | NewsOK.com (http://www.newsok.com/wcws-notebook-made-to-be-broken/article/3467288)

Attendance over the six days was 62,562 fans, breaking the WCWS attendance record in nine sessions. The record broke the previous mark of 62,463 was set in 2007, when Tennessee and Arizona played a three-game championship series (10 total sessions). ...

For more info use the link above