View Full Version : Norman / OG&E Smart Grid Pricing

venture
06-06-2010, 08:37 AM
For those that switched to the new smart grid stuff, be sure you are prepared for a little sticker shock if you didn't research your bill. : )

June through September most people will be on the Variable Peak Pricing plan. This essentially means during the hours of 2pm to 7pm, Monday through Friday, you will be paying more than double of the normal rate. The weekly emails are interesting, where for me it had my usages during those days the lowest, but they still cost twice that of the "off peak" days.

Just be aware if you aren't use to higher electric bills. Expect around a 60-70% increase in your bill.

bluedogok
06-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Austin Energy doesn't have that system yet (at least we don't) but they have switched to the electronic meters and some people had sticker shock because evidently the old mechanical meters were reporting very low. Some peoples reported usage went up dramatically and most said they hadn't changed it, so it seems the old meters were dragging badly and under reporting.

old okie
06-06-2010, 09:59 AM
For those that switched to the new smart grid stuff, be sure you are prepared for a little sticker shock if you didn't research your bill. : )

June through September most people will be on the Variable Peak Pricing plan. This essentially means during the hours of 2pm to 7pm, Monday through Friday, you will be paying more than double of the normal rate. The weekly emails are interesting, where for me it had my usages during those days the lowest, but they still cost twice that of the "off peak" days.

Just be aware if you aren't use to higher electric bills. Expect around a 60-70% increase in your bill.

Yikes! Did you have an option to go with this program, or were you 'forced' to do it? Also, were there any options to the "Variable Peak Pricing"? Did OG&E notify you of the rates BEFORE you got into the program?

We are very concerned [being retirees on fixed incomes] that we will have this FORCED upon us with no recourse.

Thanks for any additional info you can provide.

Soonerus
06-06-2010, 10:05 AM
I noticed 25 cents a KW during peak hours on weekdays...wow...

venture
06-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Austin Energy doesn't have that system yet (at least we don't) but they have switched to the electronic meters and some people had sticker shock because evidently the old mechanical meters were reporting very low. Some peoples reported usage went up dramatically and most said they hadn't changed it, so it seems the old meters were dragging badly and under reporting.

I've compared the usage between similar periods and actually it is lower than before having the meter switched. The biggest change here is that they are able to more accurately measure usage during specific time frames.

Yikes! Did you have an option to go with this program, or were you 'forced' to do it? Also, were there any options to the "Variable Peak Pricing"? Did OG&E notify you of the rates BEFORE you got into the program?

We are very concerned [being retirees on fixed incomes] that we will have this FORCED upon us with no recourse.

Thanks for any additional info you can provide.

Once you go to the new meters you can only choose the Variable Peak Pricing or the Time of Use Pricing. The documentation sent out at the time of signing up didn't include any prices and when I called to inquire they didn't have any information. Then the meter got installed and that was that. The VPP is the more economical of the two packages it seems. Looking like prices for tomorrow will be $0.113 per kWh during peak times. The ToUP will be $0.23 for the time same peak time period.

The Off-Peak pricing does look to be very reasonable though, $0.042 per kWh, however there is a reason why they call in Off-Peak. It may be one of those things to make sure your AC temp is turned warmer than normal in the afternoon and avoid using lights and appliances you don't really need.

blangtang
06-06-2010, 01:39 PM
I was at the house when the guy swapped out the meters. He just told me to turn off my computer and the power would be out for 30 seconds or so while he swapped them out.

Just looked at my bill for the month thru June 4th, looks like the average kwH they got me for is 15.25 cents/kwH for the month as a whole-total bill/kwH. I didn't sign up for any plans or anything.

kevinpate
06-06-2010, 01:54 PM
I was at the house when the guy swapped out the meters. He just told me to turn off my computer and the power would be out for 30 seconds or so while he swapped them out.

Just looked at my bill for the month thru June 4th, looks like the average kwH they got me for is 15.25 cents/kwH for the month as a whole-total bill/kwH. I didn't sign up for any plans or anything.

Install experience here pretty much matches yours. Either our bill hasn't arrived or any difference didn't merit a mention. I don't think we signed on for anything special. I sort of had the impression the main change was they can now read the meters without having to send someone to the yard. Of course, I might have that change confuzzled with the gas folk for all I know. Does seem one or the other was making that type of change to counter a passle of off reads.

old okie
06-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Are you billed strictly by OG&E or through the City of Norman? We live in OKC, and have OG&E service, so we are very concerned about this.

Does anyone know if there is some sort of extra tax or surcharge for Norman other than the franchise fee and sales tax?

Thanks.

venture
06-06-2010, 03:11 PM
All billing is done by OG&E as usual. This has nothing to do with the City of Norman itself, just that Norman was selected as a test bed for this project.

Meter change for me was the same, quick and easy. From what I can recall, you are automatically enrolled in the new pricing structure once you take part in the project. You will probably notice something stating "Time of Use Savings" or "Variable Peak Savings" on the invoice...if you had any over the standard rate.

jn1780
06-06-2010, 03:29 PM
The rates are higher because your paying for the costs of the smart meters and associated infrastructure.

In theory, rates should go down in the long run.

In theory...................

Edit: South OKC and Moore are being installed with these smart meters as well.

venture
06-06-2010, 05:00 PM
I did do some more reading in the fine print, there is a clause that if we end up paying more than we normally would of compared to the standard rate (that the rest of the area is paying), well receive a credit on the November invoice for the full difference. So if we overpay a bit now, may mean that come time for Christmas, we'll have a present waiting. Positive way to think of it anyway. :-P