View Full Version : Big 12 Baseball Tournament to stay in OKC through 2014

soonerfan_in_okc
06-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Big 12 announces championship sites: Football in Dallas; basketball in KC | Tulsa World (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100604_231_0_KANSAS971892)

We wont have the bball tournament anytime soon though. And yes, I know this is a sports issue, but its impact on the city as an event is big enough that i believe it deserves the attention it needs on this board.

metro
06-04-2010, 12:39 PM
may be a moot point if the conference realigns or folds. look at all the comments below the article, pretty much all by disappointed tulsa peeps.

Spartan
06-04-2010, 12:41 PM
This is a HUGE loss. OKC will likely never again host a huge conference basketball tournament, esp if we go to the Pac 16, esp if we stay in the Big 12, go to the SEC, or any other alternative.

BASKETBALL is the prize.

okclee
06-04-2010, 12:44 PM
I hope that the Big 12 does fold. I still would like Okc's chances to host a conference tournament no matter the conference that OU and OSU would be in.

Our baseball and basketball setup is hard to beat.

Pete
06-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Since there is no hope for the Big XII tournament for several more years and an even more unlikely scenario where the Pac-16 would consider OKC, it may be time to re-think the need for the Cox Center, especially after the Ford Center renovations are complete and we build the new convention center.

The Cox is a huge dark spot in the middle of downtown, offering completely dead frontage on all sides -- including the Myriad Gardens.

It may be time to consider pulling it down in favor of expanding the CBD to the south and better tying it into the Myriad Gardens and the new areas to be developed as part of C2S.

metro
06-04-2010, 12:46 PM
This is a HUGE loss. OKC will likely never again host a huge conference basketball tournament, esp if we go to the Pac 16, esp if we stay in the Big 12, go to the SEC, or any other alternative.

BASKETBALL is the prize.

I'd say Football is the prize, but we're never going to be in the running for that, so given that scenario, yes Basketball is the prize. If the Big 12 does stay in tact (or even if it doesn't) and we go to SEC. I think we'd have a good shot at the basketball once Ford Center renovations are completed.

okclee
06-04-2010, 12:50 PM
I like our shot as good as anyone with Basketball and Baseball.

Saying we have no chance is like saying we can't ever host an NBA team.

I don't see why Okc is done if the Big 12 is finished?

BG918
06-04-2010, 12:51 PM
I'd say Football is the prize, but we're never going to be in the running for that, so given that scenario, yes Basketball is the prize. If the Big 12 does stay in tact (or even if it doesn't) and we go to SEC. I think we'd have a good shot at the basketball once Ford Center renovations are completed.

Doesn't the SEC center football and basketball in Atlanta? What about baseball? It seems as though the SEC is centered around Atlanta and probably would stay that way if expanded westward. Maybe Houston or Dallas would have a shot but I doubt it. If there is a PAC 16 with OU and OSU I can't see any location east of Denver being chosen, more likely it would be in Arizona (football) or Las Vegas (basketball). Both sound like a pretty nice weekend trip to me.

Pete
06-04-2010, 12:54 PM
lee, now OKC is right in the middle of the existing conference in terms of geography.

If OU/OSU join the Pac-10 or the SEC, it will be on the far edge of either.

If anything, the chance of getting both the men's and women's tournaments at the same time will be greatly diminished, thus eliminating the need/appeal of our two-arena configuration.

earlywinegareth
06-04-2010, 12:54 PM
It's probably moot, but it's not a surprise. Jerry World is the Taj Mahal of sports arenas, so it was a no-brainer football would go there. That meant basketball would go north. OKC has proven it is the best site for baseball especially after it went to Arlington a couple years ago and didn't draw.

I think if the Big 12 folds and OU/oSu go to the Pac-16, OKC will still have a good chance to be in the rotation for basketball and baseball. Basketball should rotate amongst the NBA arenas in the new league and alternate between the 2 divisions which I am going on record as naming, "Coastal" and "Southwest". There's no reason why we can't get baseball on a rotational basis as well.

earlywinegareth
06-04-2010, 12:57 PM
SEC basketball tourney was in Nashville last year...which I think is the first time ever outside Atlanta.

soonerfan_in_okc
06-04-2010, 01:04 PM
anyone know where the pac 10 usually holds their baseball tournament? or if they even have one?

soonerfan_in_okc
06-04-2010, 01:06 PM
just found out they dont lol. But maybe that is good for us if the pac-16 came to be. That means no competition from a city that has had it recently.

Pete
06-04-2010, 01:08 PM
The Pac-10 just started a basketball tournament the last two years; both times the men played at the Staples Center in L.A.

I don't think the women have one at all...

But of course, if they go to 16 teams, they'll have to have conference tournaments / championship games in most every sport.

Spartan
06-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Obviously we're all buzzing about the new report of the Pac 10 sending invitations to the Big 12's premier schools. But let's look this in perspective. What does expanding to 16 mean? If the Big Ten is successful in expanding to 16 as they've stated is their goal, and now the Pac Ten, and if the SEC follows suit.. here's what I'm getting at:

You might end up needing 2 adjacent arenas just for a men's basketball tournament, IF there really are 16 teams. The alternative is probably some schools don't get an "invite" to their own conference tourney.

Pete
06-04-2010, 01:32 PM
In a 16-team scenario, the invitees would probably be limited, as they already are in baseball. The Big XII only takes the top 8 teams.

Even if they take all 16, it would only add one extra round of games.

Kerry
06-04-2010, 01:38 PM
In a 16-team scenario, the invitees would probably be limited, as they already are in baseball. The Big XII only takes the top 8 teams.

Yes but it would have to be spread over 2 days or more. You couldn't play 8 games in the same arena in the same day.

SoonerLakers
06-04-2010, 01:46 PM

It wouldn't really add an extra round. There just wouldn't be any byes like there are currently in the Big 12. 4 extra games would be tough to fit into one day.

Pete
06-04-2010, 02:05 PM
There is no way they'd make the top regular season teams play four rounds in the tournament.

They would likely only invite 10-12 then have a play-in round, as they do now in Big XII, Pac 10 and SEC.

soonerfan_in_okc
06-04-2010, 02:11 PM
The Big east doesn't take everyone to their basketball tournament, and they have 16 basketball teams. I think they take the top 12, so i bet the pac-16 would do that.

SoonerLakers
06-04-2010, 02:18 PM
You might be right Pete. It could be done like the Big East basketball where they give the top 4 seeds 2 byes and the 4-8 seeds 1 bye. I just don't see them not inviting every team in basketball.

soonerfan_in_okc
06-04-2010, 02:35 PM
You might be right Pete. It could be done like the Big East basketball where they give the top 4 seeds 2 byes and the 4-8 seeds 1 bye. I just don't see them not inviting every team in basketball.

you are right. They changed it from just 12 teams to all 16 two years ago.

Pete
06-04-2010, 02:44 PM
No matter the format, I don't see the need for two arenas which was my main point.

Once the new convention center is built, we need to take a hard look at the highest and best use of the Cox Center site.

okclee
06-04-2010, 03:25 PM
We could do like Tulsa did and put in a bid to host their tournaments?

Tulsa wants to host the big 12 events, Okc could host some conf USA events.

Spartan
06-04-2010, 04:22 PM
After successfully hosting the Big 12 basketball tourney twice and that being a huge event for us twice I think it is such a shame that we have lost that event for good.

soonerfan_in_okc
06-04-2010, 10:29 PM
After successfully hosting the Big 12 basketball tourney twice and that being a huge event for us twice I think it is such a shame that we have lost that event for good.

agreed. While NCAA first and second round games are fun to host, the big 12 tourney seems like it has the cities attention more. I hope their decision though was based on what KC has done, not what we HAVEN'T done.

Spartan
06-04-2010, 10:57 PM
When you compare the two OKC and KC were equally good as host cities. There wasn't anywhere that we failed really. No city has enough DOWNTOWN hotel rooms for a huge bball tourney, honestly, so that's a moot point.

betts
06-04-2010, 11:30 PM
agreed. While NCAA first and second round games are fun to host, the big 12 tourney seems like it has the cities attention more. I hope their decision though was based on what KC has done, not what we HAVEN'T done.

I suspect it's a north-middle-south thing. The gave an event to a team from each area. Since it's so much more practical to have the football game in a warmer climate(and potential to enclose the stadium), I'm sure they felt they had to compensate Kansas City for losing the Big Twelve football championship by giving them the basketball games. Then, OKC is actually the most convenient city for the Big Twelve so we get one as well.

Spartan
06-04-2010, 11:37 PM
All sports are not created equal.

Football -> Basketball ---------------------------------> Baseball --------> Anything else.

Oil Capital
06-05-2010, 02:01 AM
When you compare the two OKC and KC were equally good as host cities. There wasn't anywhere that we failed really. No city has enough DOWNTOWN hotel rooms for a huge bball tourney, honestly, so that's a moot point.

That's an odd statement coming from you, when, less than a month ago you told us this:

"Chance (of OKC losing the Big Twelve baseball tournament) is good. OKC rested on its laurels with the Big 12 events and we're about to lose both the baseball and basketball tournaments. I heard NCAA tourney had a bad experience in OKC this year."

betts
06-05-2010, 05:59 AM
I don't think it matters how equal they are or aren't considered. I think the appeal of having the football championship game in a warm climate outweighed any desire to be "fair" to the north. Having gone to Kansas City for the Big Twelve championship game on occasion, I would have to agree. It was miserable going to a game in freezing weather in an outdoor stadium. I'm not sure I remember being colder. So, they had to compensate Kansas City (and the entire north half of the big twelve) for losing the championship game of agreeably, the "biggest" sport and the fact that they have to travel to Dallas every year for the game. Kansas is obviously the biggest basketball school and so a great way to compensate them was to give them a tournament they had traditionally hosted. We've got the facilities for baseball and have traditionally hosted that tournament, so we got baseball. I think it had a lot less to do with Oklahoma City sitting on its laurels than the fact that the Big Twelve wanted Dallas to have the football game.

I'm not sure all this matters much anymore, as there may be no Big Twelve in a few years. Then the biggest problem will be that regardless of whether OU and OSU are part of the Pac-16 or the SEC, we'll be the most remote team in the conference and will have no weather advantage over any of the other teams.

Spartan
06-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I know it makes sense for everyone involved it's just unfortunate. I wanted OKC to be able to hold onto that awesome event. It had so much potential to grow into something big, like giving OKC experience that it could build on to possibly compete for a Final Four.

ljbab728
06-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Yeah, I know it makes sense for everyone involved it's just unfortunate. I wanted OKC to be able to hold onto that awesome event. It had so much potential to grow into something big, like giving OKC experience that it could build on to possibly compete for a Final Four.

Unfortunately, unless OKC builds a domed football stadium, we'll never have a final four. That is currently a requirement to be considered.

betts
06-05-2010, 11:52 PM
I loved having the basketball tournaments here. I pretty much took that week off and spent my entire day watching men's and women's hoops. So, I'm not happy we didn't get them, but I understand that we lose out primarily because the Big Twelve is tired of the football game in Kansas City and wants to keep it in Dallas. I honestly think it had nothing to do with the conference's experience in OKC. We were great hosts and people loved having the mens and womens games across the street from each other, as well as proximity to Bricktown.

ljbab728
06-05-2010, 11:57 PM
I loved having the basketball tournaments here. I pretty much took that week off and spent my entire day watching men's and women's hoops. So, I'm not happy we didn't get them, but I understand that we lose out primarily because the Big Twelve is tired of the football game in Kansas City and wants to keep it in Dallas. I honestly think it had nothing to do with the conference's experience in OKC. We were great hosts and people loved having the mens and womens games across the street from each other, as well as proximity to Bricktown.

Yes, sometimes no matter how much your sweetheart loves you, they end up marrying someone else.

Spartan
06-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Basketball tourney has broken our hearts.

HOT ROD
06-06-2010, 11:56 PM
Since there is no hope for the Big XII tournament for several more years and an even more unlikely scenario where the Pac-16 would consider OKC, it may be time to re-think the need for the Cox Center, especially after the Ford Center renovations are complete and we build the new convention center.

The Cox is a huge dark spot in the middle of downtown, offering completely dead frontage on all sides -- including the Myriad Gardens.

It may be time to consider pulling it down in favor of expanding the CBD to the south and better tying it into the Myriad Gardens and the new areas to be developed as part of C2S.

I have mentioned this before Pete, only to be 'silenced' by those more opinionated on the forum.

Spartan
06-07-2010, 12:39 AM
Well, Hot Rod, that was back when the Big 12 basketball tourney looked like something we had a shot at every other year or so. I know you recognize that changes things quite a bit.

Kerry
06-07-2010, 09:45 AM
We could do like Tulsa did and put in a bid to host their tournaments?

Tulsa wants to host the big 12 events, Okc could host some conf USA events.

The problem is that there isn't any interest in Conference USA in OKC. There are more Big XII fans in Tulsa than there are TU fans in OKC. Now maybe if OSU was in Conference USA you would have a good point.