View Full Version : Route 66 Bowling to close

Larry OKC
06-03-2010, 11:31 PM
Indian grocery to move store to Route 66 bowling alley in Oklahoma City | NewsOK.com (http://www.newsok.com/indian-grocery-to-move-store-to-route-66-bowling-alley-in-okc/article/3465991?custom_click=lead_story_title&dsq=54428543&dsq_cbp=null#comment-54428543)

Indian grocery to move store to Route 66 bowling alley in Oklahoma City (Oklahoman, 6/4/10)

After 51 years of bowling along historic Route 66, the balls will stop rolling and the pins will stop falling this summer.

Spices of India will open a grocery store in the building now housing the landmark 66 Bowl, marked by the neon sign of a giant pin and bowling ball at 3810 NW 39 Expressway.

A sale contract that will close the bowling alley Sept. 3...

Sad. Need to open a Neon Sign Museum.

soonerguru
06-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Wow. This is an idea so bad it took real creativity to come up with it. Terrible.

gen70
06-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Sad day on 66.

ljbab728
06-04-2010, 12:07 AM
Sad day on 66.

I agree. Most of my bowling years in the 50's and 60's were on the south side but I did spend some time there.

gen70
06-04-2010, 01:16 AM
I agree. Most of my bowling years in the 50's and 60's were on the south side but I did spend some time there. I bowled in probably every bowling alley in OKC except the ones downtown which have been gone for a long time.

Larry OKC
06-04-2010, 01:40 AM
Have never been but that is something I am going to rectify this weekend. My parents were league members there (have a Route 66 league bowling pic somewhere, need to locate it)

gen70
06-04-2010, 02:09 AM
Have never been but that is something I am going to rectify this weekend. My parents were league members there (have a Route 66 league bowling pic somewhere, need to locate it) I allways liked bowling alleys, because everybody seemed to be so laid back.

Steve
06-04-2010, 07:20 AM
Losing more of our history....

metro
06-04-2010, 07:40 AM
I bowled in probably every bowling alley in OKC except the ones downtown which have been gone for a long time.

Have you tried RedPin in Bricktown? If not you owe yourself a trip.

Wow. This is an idea so bad it took real creativity to come up with it. Terrible.

Yep. I'm all for ethnic grocery stores, but will probably be boycotting this one. Lack of foresight and bad PR move for them. I realize it's still quasi-capitalism in this country, but seems there is infinite alternatives they could have chose from with virtually zero controversy. They will be stirring it up on this one. Heck, even a block or so west down the street, someone is renovating an old industrial building into more modern retail space, it would have been a more suitable location IMO.

neverontime
06-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Well there is an opportunity for someone here.... I think much of what we all appreciate about this place can still be saved. i.e. the signs both on the building and the sign by the street. Is there federal monies for restoration, like what the tower theater used through the 66 preservation group or someone else? If so, this could used elsewhere at another bowling center. If I owned one of these places I would love the attention a sign like that would draw to my establishment.

ljbab728
06-04-2010, 10:41 PM
I bowled in probably every bowling alley in OKC except the ones downtown which have been gone for a long time.

I went into the ones downtown a number of times but don't specifically remember bowling there. I think I was just watching my father bowl. I do remember that they seemed very dirty and smokey but most bowling alleys used to be smokey. Did you ever go to Northeast Bowl? It's been long forgotten around here. I remember going to 66 Bowl many years ago when a local weekly "king of the hill" Sunday bowling show was televised from there. My uncle was on that show a few times and I went to watch him bowl.

Rover
06-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Obviously it was worth more to be a store.

Folks, if you want to help preserve the history of these businesses you have to have a following who actually puts the money into supporting them. Obviously if there were more who frequented the bowling alley it wouldn't abandon the "historic" business.

Larry OKC
06-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Understand what you are saying but it doesn't appear they are selling because of lack of business. The family has been doing it for 51 years and if the kids/grandkids aren't interested and they are ready to retire or do something else then I can't blame them really. Am sure it was just as hard for them to sell to someone other than a bowling operator. Not real happy with the store that is moving in as others have mentioned, there are plenty of places even on 39th that they could probably move into without losing history. Red Pin is something I have wanted to try too, but don't get downtown very often.

gen70
06-05-2010, 06:33 PM
More images.

rileygsd
06-05-2010, 08:07 PM
I cannot believe it! We have so little history in this town. It seems a shame to turn an awsome place into a grocery store. Very sad.

Go Warrior Fitness Camp (http://www.myspace.com/gowarriorfitnesscamp)

z28james
06-06-2010, 09:08 AM
The few time I went to that bowling alley they were crappy experiences, but I hate to see bowling alleys go. Plus that one does have a lot of history. And I don't care if it has move value as a grocer, that it still a bad idea.

metro
06-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Obviously it was worth more to be a store.

Folks, if you want to help preserve the history of these businesses you have to have a following who actually puts the money into supporting them. Obviously if there were more who frequented the bowling alley it wouldn't abandon the "historic" business.

True, BUTTTTT too many of our local retailers do not market at all, or very little, or not very well. We're well behind the national curve. Had they marketed the place better, who's to say business wouldn't have been better for them?

dances with cameras
06-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Landmark 66 Bowl to Close and Become Grocery Store (http://www.news9.com/Global/story.asp?S=12594390)