View Full Version : What is it with Ward 5's Brian Walters?

Pages : [1] 2

metro
06-03-2010, 07:46 AM
Question to anyone who lives in Ward 5: Does Brian Walters truly represent you and fellow Ward 5 citizens?

Council member opposes gay pride event
By Brian Brus
The Journal Record
Posted: 09:20 PM Wednesday, June 2, 2010

OKLAHOMA CITY – Almost all monthly applications for special event permits are unanimously approved by Oklahoma City Council members – except for one standout planned for the end of this month.

“The reason I voted no on that is that I’m a born-again Christian and don’t believe in the homosexual lifestyle,” said Ward 5 Councilman Brian Walters, who cast the sole dissenting vote Tuesday against allowing a gay pride parade and festival organized by OKC Pride Inc. on June 26-27.

“I don’t want my vote to be construed as support, because I really don’t support that, the same way that I wouldn’t support a group of, say, pedophiles who wanted to assemble. I would not vote yes on that either, (or) men who beat up their wives. Anything like that,” Walters said Wednesday.

The OKC Pride events were passed 7-1 anyway, and Walters voted with his council peers in support of granting revocable permits for all other events this month: the deadCENTER Film Festival, Charlie Christian Jazz Festival, Juneteenth Celebration, Red Earth Festival parade, Redman Triathlon, Nationals Drag Boat Race and a USA Cycling Inc. competition.

OKC Pride Vice President Nathan Thompson said he was more than disappointed in Walters’ comments.

“It is outrageous for anyone, let alone an elected official, to compare law-abiding citizens to criminals like pedophiles or wife beaters,” Thompson said. “It is backwards and misrepresents the progressive direction Oklahoma City is headed in, with or without Brian Walters. Bigotry at this level is disgusting and will not be tolerated.”

It’s an issue that should have been put to bed many years ago, Thompson said. In 2003, after taking down banners advocating gay and lesbian rights, city officials were confronted with legal opposition to an ordinance that had given the city manager authority to decide on a case-by-case basis whether certain banners would appropriately promote or celebrate the city, its holidays and public events. Commercial banners were prohibited, along with those promoting any political, religious, or social advocacy organization or message.

Ultimately, the council voted to remove all content restrictions, and since then the question of recognizing public events involving gay, lesbian, transgender and bisexual rights has not been discussed to any great extent.

Walters said he isn’t opposed to OKC Pride’s constitutional right to assemble, per se, but rather homosexuality itself.

“Every year that comes up, I vote no on that,” he said. “I believe the vote we have is construed as being supportive of the issue, as opposed to being a constitutional issue.”

Other city officials were unable to identify other events that have been opposed because of what Walters referred to as the “moral issue” behind them.

“Most of the time we’re looking at a revocable permit, you’re usually talking about events that have no moral implication – bike races, boat races, Fourth of July parades and things like that,” Walters said.

“I basically want my vote to speak for itself,” he said. “Frankly, if we didn’t approve it, there’s some discussion that they would go to court and get it anyway. And that may or may not be true. For me, it’s more of a moral issue.”

OSUFan
06-03-2010, 08:06 AM
Nothing really to add. I think Walters quotes speak for themselves. Hopefully someone steps up and makes this guy a one-termer.

earlywinegareth
06-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Evidently he doesn't believe in the uniquely American ideal of "freedom and justice for all."

adaniel
06-03-2010, 08:22 AM
Its obvious that he's ginning himself up to join the band of geniuses at 23rd and Lincoln, either as a state rep or senator. So OKC municipal government will be free of him probably as soon as the next state election cycle.

soonerfan21
06-03-2010, 08:23 AM
I thought elected officials are supposed to vote for their constituents and not their own personal belief systems?

kevinpate
06-03-2010, 08:30 AM
I thought elected officials are supposed to vote for their constituents and not their own personal belief systems?

There are those who subscribe to the view that what they personally believe is what is true and correct. Ergo, when they vote, they are simply voting what everyone ought to believe. What I read of this politico suggests that's a reasonable fit for him.

Some who subscribe to such positions manage to remain in office for lengthy periods, and yes, at times they move on to higher office.

Agree or disagree with such folk as you see fit. However, there are apparently more than enough folks in their respective fiefdoms who do not disagree with them, and vote, than those who do disagree and vote. The non-voters in the fiefdom, or those situated elsewhere, get to pitch a fit, but not much else.

rcjunkie
06-03-2010, 08:46 AM
While I don't agree with his vote/stance on this matter, I do support his right to support or not support this issue.

earlywinegareth
06-03-2010, 08:49 AM
While I don't agree with his vote/stance on this matter, I do support his right to support or not support this issue.

What issue is that? Discrimination? Bigotry? Ignorance?

BOBTHEBUILDER
06-03-2010, 08:52 AM
Do you people not have anything better to do than to run a city councilman into the ground? He voted the way that he did, because he didnt want a yes vote to be misconstrued as supporting a lifestyle that he does not believe in. Nothing more. Does he not have that option? Does his opinion not count because its different than yours or mine? The last time I checked, he is a city councilman, and he is allowed to vote on issues just like the other 7 council members as well as the mayor. At least he has an opinion, and not just looking for the mayor to give a thumbs up or thumbs down for the rest of the council to vote off of. It would be nice to have 9 members on the city council who could think for themselves, and not be a puppet for big business, the okc chamber of commerce, the mayor, the city manager, and any other special interest group who throws their hat in the ring.

rcjunkie
06-03-2010, 08:53 AM
What issue is that? Discrimination? Bigotry? Ignorance?

Why is it OK for you and others to practice the right/freedom to support an issue, but it's not OK for someone to practice their right/freedom to not support said issue.

It's obvious your "trolling" and just looking to argue. I'm not the one, my times to valuable--keep trolling.

BOBTHEBUILDER
06-03-2010, 08:56 AM
Why is it OK for you and others to practice the right/freedom to support an issue, but it's not OK for someone to practice their right/freedom to not support said issue.

It's obvious your "trolling" and just looking to argue. I'm not the one, my times to valuable--keep trolling.

Exactly, good call RC

Spartan
06-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Brian Walters thinks he's going to be a rising GOP star by opposing everything OKC tries to do for itself in the name of big govt. It is true that there is a lot of govt action here in OKC but unfortunately for Walters, he'd be better off going to a city where govt action isn't yielding such remarkably positive results. Walters is pretty nauseating but if he wants, I'm afraid he's here to stay. He's relatively popular on the southside, especially with the Rotary group. If Jerry Foshee runs again the Rotary group will be split but I don't think the voters will.

It's evident that most councilors on the horseshoe are overwhelmingly interested in community redevelopment and making the best out of OKC, especially Sam Bowman and Meg Salyer. It's just as evident that Brian Walters is more interested in turning OKC into an ideological political battleground that suits his larger goals, and that he really knows nothing at all about community redevelopment and economic development. There isn't actually anything he can OFFER the people of his ward..luckily Ward 5 residents don't ask for much.

earlywinegareth
06-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Oh come on, you just don't want to admit that what Brian Walters did is take a stance supporting discrimination. Further, if the city did not approve the permit, it would've been sued and found its action was unconstitutional (cannot prohibit the right to assemble).

So, it's ok for him to support discrimination and vote in an unconstitutional manner in his official capacity? Isn't that what you're saying?

Spartan
06-03-2010, 09:09 AM
I think rcjunkie dared to suggest that someone not be persecuted for the way they feel about a subject.

I do agree with earlywine that it's a case by case issue, and the particulars of this one involve civil liberties which you can get sued over. And made to look stupid over, which would be even worse for OKC.

okclee
06-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Ward 5 is one of the most isolated wards out of the 8. It is also the wealthiest in the city and I think has more wealth per capita in the state too.

OSUFan
06-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Do you people not have anything better to do than to run a city councilman into the ground? He voted the way that he did, because he didnt want a yes vote to be misconstrued as supporting a lifestyle that he does not believe in. Nothing more. Does he not have that option? Does his opinion not count because its different than yours or mine? The last time I checked, he is a city councilman, and he is allowed to vote on issues just like the other 7 council members as well as the mayor. At least he has an opinion, and not just looking for the mayor to give a thumbs up or thumbs down for the rest of the council to vote off of. It would be nice to have 9 members on the city council who could think for themselves, and not be a puppet for big business, the okc chamber of commerce, the mayor, the city manager, and any other special interest group who throws their hat in the ring.

He has the right to vote how he feels. Just like we have the right to voice our opinion about our elected officials.

Is Brian Walters voting for what is best for his ward and his city or what is best for Brian Walters?

Basically, IMO it seems he is calling his supporters idiots. He doesn't think they are smart enough to understand the difference between granting a permit to a group he might not agree with and supporting their lifestyle choices. I think there is a huge difference but he doesn't seem to think his people are smart enough to see the difference.

BOBTHEBUILDER
06-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Yes, you would be correct, 73170 zip code is the wealthiest in the metro area per capita, and yes that is the southside in Ward 5.

Architect2010
06-03-2010, 09:19 AM
While he does have the option to support or not support certain aspects of life and likewise certain events that may take place in the city, it is terrible that an elected official must be so bigoted, regardless of his beliefs. He represents a constituency and bringing his personal agenda into his city government role is not what represents that constituency. Also, I'm positive that everyone is aware of the church|state wall. Advocating personal religion and it's intolerance of a specific demographic is widely frowned upon in political matters. Even if he is a councilman.

You can say we're being overly critical and bashing him, but I don't find that true. They aren't gods, they are ELECTED officials. We have every right to analyze them as we please. Critique of our government is a well-known role of the American citizen.

earlywinegareth
06-03-2010, 09:21 AM
I live in Ward 5 and am signing off now to start my letter-writing campaign to the esteemed councilman. ;)

Platemaker
06-03-2010, 09:24 AM
[B]“I don’t want my vote to be construed as support, because I really don’t support that, the same way that I wouldn’t support a group of, say, pedophiles who wanted to assemble. I would not vote yes on that either, (or) men who beat up their wives. Anything like that,” Walters said Wednesday.

THIS... is the problem with this douche bag... NOT the vote itself.

pedophiles and abusers.... gimme a break... this BS logic rears it's head over and over and over....:fighting3

mugofbeer
06-03-2010, 09:27 AM

Ditto. He clearly admitted he didn't vote for it because of his own personal beliefs but when it comes to nuts and bolts, he may have actually voted the wishes of his constituents.

BOBTHEBUILDER
06-03-2010, 09:31 AM
He has the right to vote how he feels. Just like we have the right to voice our opinion about our elected officials.

Is Brian Walters voting for what is best for his ward and his city or what is best for Brian Walters?

Basically, IMO it seems he is calling his supporters idiots. He doesn't think they are smart enough to understand the difference between granting a permit to a group he might not agree with and supporting their lifestyle choices. I think there is a huge difference but he doesn't seem to think his people are smart enough to see the difference.

Lets not put words in his mouth, he did not say anything of the like, lol.
There may be a huge difference between granting a permit in your eyes and mine, but maybe not in his. His actions did not stop the permit. If there were enough members of the council that felt this way and voted accordingly, this would have been settled real quick by going to court. They would have their permit to assemble.

Each member of the city council is entitled to a vote on this matter, if he did not vote the way that his constituents wanted him too then he could be voted out. If he did vote the way they wanted him too, then so be it, thats the democratic way. You and I can either agree or agree to disagree, thats the American way, is it not.

metro
06-03-2010, 09:33 AM

He is an ELECTED official to represent his district. Do you think he is voting as a representation of his district or of himself? I agree with him on a personal level, but I don't think it's right for what he's done on the public level. He clearly cannot seperate the two and it has shown with about everything he's done. He voted against MAPS 3 and other issues (but look at his comparisons in his quotes, he uses things like that as not "moral implications", does MAPS 3 hold moral implications?, yet compares homosexuality to wife beaters and such?) BOBTHEBUILDER, why couldn't he have just abstained from voting on this issue if it goes against his moral beliefs?? The council still would have had the majority, and he would still have a clear conscience by "not supporting" the lifestyle he disagrees with. That would have been a more savvy move than voting "no" because of personal beliefs. Furthermore I doubt any of the councilpeople agree with the homosexual lifestyle on a personal level (many of them are Christians), but they know how to seperate church from state.

Exactly. Are people really clueless that these people are elected by the people for the people and should be held accountable to the people?

Midtowner
06-03-2010, 09:37 AM
I don't really understand the big deal. His vote counts as a protest vote. Nothing more. It did nothing.

Now, if he had been in the majority, we'd all have a legitimate gripe because the Council would have bought us a lawsuit.

As it stands, the Council voted overwhelmingly in favor of approving the gay pride parade. Somehow, I just don't see the story here. It's pretty obvious that Walters has designs beyond City Hall and he's looking out for himself with respect to his appeal with family values voters. It cost him nothing, it cost us nothing, what's the story?

okclee
06-03-2010, 09:37 AM
What about his comments? From an elected official?

“I don’t want my vote to be construed as support, because I really don’t support that, the same way that I wouldn’t support a group of, say, pedophiles who wanted to assemble. I would not vote yes on that either, (or) men who beat up their wives. Anything like that,” Walters said Wednesday.

fuzzytoad
06-03-2010, 09:39 AM
What about his comments? From an elected official?

???

You think our elected officials should support pedophiles and wife-beaters?

BOBTHEBUILDER
06-03-2010, 09:51 AM
I live in Ward 5 and am signing off now to start my letter-writing campaign to the esteemed councilman. ;)

Thats sounds like a constructive thing to do. Good luck with that.

Spartan
06-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Trust me. I've never gotten a response before from Walters. Try calling instead.

proud2Bsooner
06-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Have any of you Walters bashers seen pictures of "pride parades" from other cities? Many include lewd behavior and public nudity. I know gay people that can't stand the thought of these "festivals". In an effort to be supportive of other lifestyles, and to be "deep thinkers", I think some fail to look carefully at what really should be allowable on the streets of our City. There is nothing good to offer from these parades. Sex, no matter what kind it is, needs no place for public celebration.

Platemaker
06-03-2010, 10:33 AM
???

You think our elected officials should support pedophiles and wife-beaters?

Oh come on!!! It's obvious he is saying homo=pedophile=wife-beater.

Platemaker
06-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Have any of you Walters bashers seen pictures of "pride parades" from other cities? Many include lewd behavior and public nudity. I know gay people that can't stand the thought of these "festivals". In an effort to be supportive of other lifestyles, and to be "deep thinkers", I think some fail to look carefully at what really should be allowable on the streets of our City. There is nothing good to offer from these parades. Sex, no matter what kind it is, needs no place for public celebration.

You saw pictures... wow.... were you there... doubt it. I'm know there is WAY more nudity at Mardi Gras... I've never seen nudity at a Pride Parade.

fuzzytoad
06-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Oh come on!!! It's obvious he is saying homo=pedophile=wife-beater.

That's not what I got out of it..

Platemaker
06-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Well let's just repost the quote for ya....

[U]“I don’t want my vote to be construed as support, because I really don’t support that, [B]the same way that I wouldn’t support a group of, say, pedophiles who wanted to assemble. I would not vote yes on that either, (or) men who beat up their wives. Anything like that,” Walters said Wednesday.

fuzzytoad
06-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Well let's just repost the quote for ya....

I've read the quote.. Still not seeing it.

Perhaps, subconsciously, it's you who sees a connection between them and you're taking out your own anger at yourself on Mr. Walters..

proud2Bsooner
06-03-2010, 11:31 AM
You saw pictures... wow.... were you there... doubt it. I'm know there is WAY more nudity at Mardi Gras... I've never seen nudity at a Pride Parade.

Mardi Gras, the wild one anyway, is in New Orleans - not OKC. OKC is not Seattle, Portland, New Orleans, Los Angeles or San Francisco. I think most people prefer OKC to be the way it is for the most part. We are one of the few places left where questionable public behavior is not accepted or desired by most people. This is undeniable.

rcjunkie
06-03-2010, 11:35 AM

Perhaps, subconsciously, it's you who sees a connection between them and you're taking out your own anger at yourself on Mr. Walters..

He's not taking out his anger, it's just a slow day for Trolls and he's trying to get someone to argue with him.

onthestrip
06-03-2010, 11:57 AM

How can you read that quote and not see it as him equating homosexuality with pedophiles and wife beaters? You trying a little too hard to defend this guy.

Ive come to expect walters mentality at the state capitol but didnt think our city council members were this out of touch.

rcjunkie
06-03-2010, 12:06 PM
How can you read that quote and not see it as him equating homosexuality with pedophiles and wife beaters? You trying a little too hard to defend this guy.
Ive come to expect walters mentality at the state capitol but didnt think our city council members were this out of touch.

Man, talk about trying to make something out nothing. Oh well, you get an A for trying, but an F for substance. I don't and never have, been a Brian Walters supporter, but what he said is that he couldn't support this event, just like he couldn't support an event for wife beaters or pedophiles. Your trying to claim the Mr. Walters is equating homosexuality with wife beating and pedophiles is at best laughable.

Nice try and keep on trolling.

fuzzytoad
06-03-2010, 12:13 PM
How can you read that quote and not see it as him equating homosexuality with pedophiles and wife beaters?

Because I don't see him equating homosexuality with pedophiles or wife beaters..

You trying a little too hard to defend this guy.

I'm sorry, but how am I defending him? I think every American has the right to have a "<insert> Pride Parade".. I don't think there should be any government intervention other than requiring a permit and whatever else is necessary to run a parade..

The only way I would defend him is if he took a stance asking why a vote is even necessary for something everyone should be able to do, including pedophiles and wife beaters..

OKCisOK4me
06-03-2010, 12:23 PM
I'm kind of confused by his approach toward the event. He's judging them for their lifestyle?? I thought that was God's job, not us fellow citizens. Isn't that what the good book teaches?

okclee
06-03-2010, 12:31 PM
I guess he won't be accepting the offer of being the parades Grand Marshal.

Spartan
06-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Haha..good one okclee.

I think most people prefer OKC to be the way it is for the most part. We are one of the few places left where questionable public behavior is not accepted or desired by most people. This is undeniable.

Who are "most people" ? I think questionable public behavior is cool, I don't know about you. Where are you getting this, a straw poll at the Edmond Elementary PTA? A poll they showed on the evening news cast or something?

kevinpate
06-03-2010, 12:46 PM
... He's judging them for their lifestyle?? I thought that was God's job, not us fellow citizens. Isn't that what the good book teaches?

When God slumbers, Politicos roam. Only thing that surprises me is that any of this surprises anyone. Nearly every group of politicos has a chest beater. It's not like Walters suddenly jumped from a closet and said something out of character.

Spartan
06-03-2010, 12:48 PM
This rings very true. I keep waiting on something surprising from Walters..

It's not like Walters suddenly jumped from a closet and said something out of character.

I don't think he has any plans to jump from the closet anytime soon.

okclee
06-03-2010, 12:51 PM
When God slumbers, Politicos roam. Only thing that surprises me is that any of this surprises anyone. Nearly every group of politicos has a chest beater. It's not like Walters suddenly jumped from a closet and said something out of character.

What do you mean jumped out of the "closet"?

OKCisOK4me
06-03-2010, 01:01 PM

"jumped from the closet" was pictured in my head of a man, or woman, sitting like Spiderman at the top of the closet and springing forward...

Wambo36
06-03-2010, 01:25 PM

What makes you think he didn't vote for the majority of his constituents? Seems to me you guys are in a real stretch to find something to be upset about.

Doug Loudenback
06-03-2010, 01:57 PM
I agree. While I don't care for the guy's public stances on the few instances that I've paid any attention (MAPS 3, this thing), I certainly respect his right to cast his vote on any matter for whatever reasons he cares to, whether I like them or not. While he'd probably be at the end of my list of people I'd vote for, he's entitled. Moreover, if his ward doesn't like how he votes, they have the power to do something about it.

DelCamino
06-03-2010, 02:12 PM
That he voted against issuing the special events permit isn't the troubling part. It's that he equated gay people with criminals, such as pedophiles and wife beaters.

Those ill-informed and idiotic comments are why he should be reprimanded.

Platemaker
06-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Mardi Gras, the wild one anyway, is in New Orleans - not OKC. OKC is not Seattle, Portland, New Orleans, Los Angeles or San Francisco. I think most people prefer OKC to be the way it is for the most part. We are one of the few places left where questionable public behavior is not accepted or desired by most people. This is undeniable.

We'll lucky for you the queers in OKC DON'T run around naked... I posted that as a response from some stating alleged facts about OTHER cities anyway.

Wambo36
06-03-2010, 02:49 PM
I agree. While I don't care for the guy's public stances on the few instances that I've paid any attention (MAPS 3, this thing), I certainly respect his right to cast his vote on any matter for whatever reasons he cares to, whether I like them or not. While he'd probably be at the end of my list of people I'd vote for, he's entitled. Moreover, if his ward doesn't like how he votes, they have the power to do something about it.

Doug, unless I'm mistaken, his ward and Pete Whites ward were the two to have a majority vote against MAPS 3. Seems to me he did vote to reflect the majority of his constituents in that case. I have a sneaking suspicion that he did in this case also.

kevinpate
06-03-2010, 03:07 PM

What did I mean by a phrase I did not use?

Next question.

rcjunkie
06-03-2010, 03:22 PM
That he voted against issuing the special events permit isn't the troubling part. It's that he equated gay people with criminals, such as pedophiles and wife beaters.
Those ill-informed and idiotic comments are why he should be reprimanded.

He did no such thing and you need to stop.
Once again, what he said was that he couldn't support this event, just like he wouldn't support wife beaters or pedophiles.

He at no time compared the 3, stop trying to make something out of nothing and "troll" on to the next issue.

OSUFan
06-03-2010, 03:46 PM
So people giving their opinions is now trolling?

onthestrip
06-03-2010, 03:52 PM
What makes you think he didn't vote for the majority of his constituents? Seems to me you guys are in a real stretch to find something to be upset about.
Because he didnt say anything to make me believe that. Never did he say that he was representing his ward with his no vote. Rather, he spouted off his personal beliefs as being the reason he voted no.

He did no such thing and you need to stop.
Once again, what he said was that he couldn't support this event, just like he wouldn't support wife beaters or pedophiles.

He at no time compared the 3, stop trying to make something out of nothing and "troll" on to the next issue.

Equated, compared...whatever. The fact is is that he lumped them together making me think that he thinks of homosexuality as the same as pedophiles and wife beaters.

Say I was a city councilman and it came time to vote for a city wide smoking ban in public areas. What would be the reaction if I voted for the ban and later said it was because I cant support smoking just like I cant support pedophiles and wife beaters?

rcjunkie
06-03-2010, 03:55 PM
So people giving their opinions is now trolling?

When you constantly give false information, try to make an issue out of everything, not just on this thread but others as well----that's trolling.

rcjunkie
06-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Because he didnt say anything to make me believe that. Never did he say that he was representing his ward with his no vote. Rather, he spouted off his personal beliefs as being the reason he voted no.

Equated, compared...whatever. The fact is is that he lumped them together making me think that he thinks of homosexuality as the same as pedophiles and wife beaters.

Say I was a city councilman and it came time to vote for a city wide smoking ban in public areas. What would be the reaction if I voted for the ban and later said it was because I cant support smoking just like I cant support pedophiles and wife beaters?

My reaction would be--well, theres another issue he doesn't support or agree with, I may have a different opinion, but thank God we live in a society where we have the right to voice our opinion.

OSUFan
06-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Just because you don't agree doesn't mean it is false. To me he clearly equates gays assembling to pedophiles and wife beaters assembling. If he wasn't why would he even bring that up? If he just making sure the citizens of OKC know he is against pedophiles and wife beaters? Just wanted to make sure that was part of the story?

Spartan
06-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Someone with an opinion is not trolling. Fortunately a commitment to the people and to do the right thing is not a registration requirement for OKC Talk. Maybe Brian Walters should save his ... whatever ... for online forums like this and not real life.

venture
06-03-2010, 04:17 PM
When you constantly give false information, try to make an issue out of everything, not just on this thread but others as well----that's trolling.

Look in the mirror lately? ; ) Don't keep coming back here, not participating in the discussion, and calling others trolls. You'll eventually become what you are speaking out against.

My opinion on this. He should have just abstained from voting and it would have served the same purpose. I also think his comment could have been constructed better, if he wanted to use more tact. Did he relate gays to wife beaters and pedophiles? I can definitely understand where people are drawing that comparison. Was that his intent? I would hope not.