View Full Version : Self Serve Dog Wash

PennyQuilts
06-02-2010, 11:42 AM
If there is a subject that is tangled up and poorly advertised on the net it is self service dog washes.

Does anyone know of a good one? Or ANY one? I'd like to take Evelyn down. She is blowing her coat and a good washing and blow drying would help her out.

FritterGirl
06-02-2010, 11:48 AM
I know there is one in Edmond, just about a block north of 33rd on Broadway, on the right (east) side of the road.

There was one just west of May Avenue on Grand Boulevard. I'm not certain if it is still there. Perhaps others in the area may know.

We wash ours at home. As for coat, I just broke down and spent an outrageous amount of money on one of those FURMINATOR combs. Dang, if it doesn't live up as advertised. We pulled out about 3 dogs worth of undercoat after just one ten minute session - on ONE dog. I could knit a sweater.

Not sure how it would work with a samoyed. Ours are terrier mixes - long wiry topcoat with thick softer undercoat that sheds like crazy.

rcjunkie
06-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Theres one in Norman, just N. of NW 36th & Robinson. The owner converted 1 car wash bay into 2 dog wash bays, each bay has a separate entrance, they are heated and cooled and have a ramps to the tub (for dogs too big to lift)

bluedogok
06-02-2010, 07:20 PM
There was one of the converted car wash ones on the south side of NW 50th east of Meridian across from the Springdale shopping center. My sister has used that one for her lab and lab/catahoula mix.

PennyQuilts
06-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks, all.

Evelyn is about 55 pounds and her coat is amazingly thick. You can barely find the skin. I can wash them at home but blowing it out is really helpful when they are losing their undercoat. I don't have a decent blower to do it although I have been thinking of getting one. Some of my samoyed owner friends insist they have successfully used a leaf blower but that ain't happening, here.

PennyQuilts
06-03-2010, 10:57 AM
I should probably have entitled this thread self SERVICE dog wash. It sounds like I am asking about a cut-rate Korean restaurant.

Double Edge
06-03-2010, 11:37 AM
There's a self-service one that's part of a car wash on NW 63rd between Rockwell and MacArthur.

PennyQuilts
06-03-2010, 11:43 AM
These are all great tips - thanks so much!

Uncle Slayton
06-04-2010, 10:33 AM
She is blowing her coat and a good washing and blow drying would help her out.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1/okchemyst/Mouse_fur.jpg

Thirty minutes and one full combdown of my Pyrenees last night. He may end up at the car wash on west Lindsey this afternoon.

betts
06-05-2010, 11:21 PM
There's a self-service dog wash as part of Central Park on Classen. I've never used it, but I like every other service they offer.

PennyQuilts
06-06-2010, 06:50 AM
Uncle Slaton, looks familiar!

Evelyn (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_VWlwEK4LcxY/S-lhu0zl3fI/AAAAAAAAK6c/-vx8qe56Lls/s1600/Evelyn+hair.jpg)

gothundergo
04-24-2014, 07:16 PM
There is a new self serve dog wash in Oklahoma city on N. Portland ave. And 17th ST. Here is their website: OKC Self Serve Dog Wash - WE ARE NOW OPEN (http://www.okcselfservedogwash.com)
Does anyone know of a good one? Or ANY one? I'd like to take Evelyn down. She is blowing her coat and a good washing and blow drying would help her out.[/QUOTE]

PennyQuilts
04-25-2014, 01:36 PM
Thanks!!!!

Dennis Heaton
04-25-2014, 02:26 PM
I've heard Red Carpet has a Pet Special on Wednesdays...but ya gotta walk your pet through yourself...on a leash of course.

BlackmoreRulz
04-25-2014, 05:34 PM
Ain't nothing like a Samoyed blowing out his coat in the spring. I remember the first time Oscar blew his out, it looked like someone had shredded a mattress in the back yard.

PennyQuilts
04-25-2014, 06:44 PM
Ain't nothing like a Samoyed blowing out his coat in the spring. I remember the first time Oscar blew his out, it looked like someone had shredded a mattress in the back yard.

It can be amazing. Pearly is wanting to blow her coat and it's so thick we may smother. It isn't "quite" ready, yet. Our Evelyn has alopecia X and there is nothing more pathetic looking than a bald samoyed :). Her hair cycle has been disrupted so she has bald spots on her thighs and side but is like a wooly worm on her face and legs. She doesn't really blow her coat and lacks the lanolin that ,makes it so soft and sweet smelling. Do you still have Oscar?

BlackmoreRulz
04-25-2014, 07:13 PM
Nah, Oscar passed long ago...he was my daughters dog when she was a toddler 30 years ago, but I loved that dog, always had that Samoyed "smile".

Today we do the bidding of a 115lb insane bloodhound...

PennyQuilts
04-25-2014, 08:08 PM
Nah, Oscar passed long ago...he was my daughters dog when she was a toddler 30 years ago, but I loved that dog, always had that Samoyed "smile".

Today we do the bidding of a 115lb insane bloodhound...
115 pounds? I'd be doing his bidding, too. ;)

Urbanized
04-25-2014, 09:57 PM
A had two female Great Danes who weighed 135 and 165 pounds. They had a brother who weighed 210. :eek:

Jeepnokc
04-26-2014, 10:52 PM
A had two female Great Danes who weighed 135 and 165 pounds. They had a brother who weighed 210. :eek:

I have two harlequin great dane girls now. They are both 135 ibs each. My 80 lb 14 y/o daughter washes them in our walk in shower and then puts robes on them before painting their toe nails. Fortunately, they are very patient girls.

Urbanized
04-27-2014, 11:51 AM
The smaller one was mismarked harlequin and the larger one mismarked mantle merle. Both companion dogs; neither marked for show, which made them affordable in this case as their mom, dad and some siblings were apparently a big deal on the show circuit. I've never seen a breed with a better temperament.

I left them in the care of my ex-wife when we split up (she had the great yard with privacy fence and I moved into a townhouse), and I miss them greatly. I've always said if I ever get another dog, it will only be a Dane. Best dogs ever.

PennyQuilts
04-27-2014, 12:39 PM
We have neighbors with three Great Danes and they just love them - beautiful dogs and they seem so sweet.

ljbab728
04-27-2014, 08:45 PM
We have neighbors with three Great Danes and they just love them - beautiful dogs and they seem so sweet.

My daughter has a Great Dane which she keeps in her house. It's not a bad dog at all but it's just too big to stay in the house. She had to take it somewhere else when I took my elderly, late mother there because it could have knocked her over very easily. I also don't particularly like having a dog starring at me eye to eye when I'm eating dinner at her house. :)

Jeepnokc
04-27-2014, 09:20 PM
My daughter has a Great Dane which she keeps in her house. It's not a bad dog at all but it's just too big to stay in the house. She had to take it somewhere else when I took my elderly, late mother there because it could have knocked her over very easily. I also don't particularly like having a dog starring at me eye to eye when I'm eating dinner at her house. :)

And don't leave your plate there while going to get a drink....danes are very good at counter surfing (or table surfing). My danes have their own sofas. Danes are very social animals and greatly need the human interaction. They are also big leaners. Worst thing you can do to a dane is to keep them outside.

ljbab728
04-27-2014, 09:28 PM
And don't leave your plate there while going to get a drink....danes are very good at counter surfing (or table surfing). My danes have their own sofas. Danes are very social animals and greatly need the human interaction. They are also big leaners. Worst thing you can do to a dane is to keep them outside.

Maybe so, but that's why I will never have one. I love my daughter but prefer for her to come to my house instead of me going to hers. I can't enjoy eating or visiting with her when I have to constantly be concerned about a dog.

Urbanized
04-28-2014, 06:22 AM
It's always nice to be able to give a dog a drink of water without filling a bowl. Just turn on a faucet, and let them drink right out of it, flat-footed :eek:

Also, don't never make the mistake of letting a Dane on the people furniture. They already think they belong there thanks to the social gene that Jeepnokc mentions. They will back right up to a sofa or chair and sit on it with their butts like a person. It's funny at first, but if you let them do that they will straight run you off of your own furniture. You have to nip it in the bud right away, and like Jeep says you really need to invest in dedicated, purposed furniture for them. Floors are tough on their joints due to their weight.

As for dining, you pretty much have to train them to stay away from the table, which involves going to lay down. I was able to say the word to mine and they would trot up the stairs and lay in their (freaking GIANT) dog crates until I told them it was OK to come back down.

Dubya61
04-28-2014, 12:28 PM
... and lay in their (freaking GIANT) dog crates ...

and incredibly expensive!

Prunepicker
05-04-2014, 06:00 PM
If there is a subject that is tangled up and poorly advertised on the net it is
self service dog washes.

Does anyone know of a good one? Or ANY one? I'd like to take Evelyn
down. She is blowing her coat and a good washing and blow drying would
help her out.
There's a car wash at NW 36th and east of N MacArthur on the north side,
that has a bay for dogs. Not sure about a blow dryer. I've not used it and
Midge has never had a bath.

Prunepicker
05-04-2014, 06:03 PM
I should probably have entitled this thread self SERVICE dog wash. It
sounds like I am asking about a cut-rate Korean restaurant.
Speaking of Korean restaurants. There's a new cook book entitled "101
Ways to Wok Your Dog."

Mel
05-04-2014, 08:42 PM
Speaking of Korean restaurants. There's a new cook book entitled "101
Ways to Wok Your Dog."

Oy!

Prunepicker
05-05-2014, 10:06 PM
PQ,
I'm guessing this may be coming to the USA. As persnickety as pet owners
are the world over I'm surprised this hasn't become a part of OKC.

Welcome - Tru Blu Dog Wash (http://www.trubludogwash.com.au/)

Then there's this.
Coin Operated Dog Washes

(http://www.selfservedogwash.com/this-town_info.htm)Dog Wash Facilities | DIY Dog Wash from Petbarn (http://www.petbarn.com.au/services/diy-dog-wash/)

I know Samoans have a thick coat. What type of hair blower do you
need? Midge can't stand the sound of a hair dryer or a vacuum cleaner.
This must affect other dogs as well.

I'm thinking that a silent 4000 amp hair dryer, with it's own fuse box, with
F-5 tornadic air propulsion would do the trick. Does that seem reasonable?