View Full Version : What was the Wynn Landing Strip (located around Broadway and 33rd in Edmond)?

Joe Kimball
06-01-2010, 08:46 PM
It finally occurred to me to ask this here after receiving such comprehensive replies as to the Lake Hefner (sort-of-) spillway. I've wondered for some time as to any details of this following place.

When looking at an old topographic map of Oklahoma City from the late 1970s, A "Wynn Landing Strip" was indicated right about or behind the Homeland on 33rd and Broadway. State maps until about 1985 or so have an airplane symbol at this location. Research only turns up that the aforementioned Homeland was a "Wynn's IGA", built as such. The adjacent street is Wynn Drive.

It's interesting to me that such a thing existed in this place, in the same manner that the former location of Wiley Post Airport was on the east shore of Lake Hefner (at least for part of its existence) before it assumed the location of Tulakes nee Bethany Airport.

Anybody know any details?

bluedogok
06-01-2010, 09:20 PM
I remember remnants still being there but it wasn't active in the mid-90's, it was a grass strip, you can see a ghost of it on Google Earth going back to the 1985 image before they built the strip center on the south side of 33rd. There used to be quite a few of those small strips around, I remember a property for sale in the mid-80's somewhere in Northeast Edmond that boasted an FAA registered landing strip on the property.

There isn't much info about Oklahoma on the Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields: Central Oklahoma (http://www.members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/OK/Airfields_OK_C.htm) other than some of the more major landing strips/small airports.

OKCisOK4me
06-01-2010, 09:41 PM
That NE Edmond strip you're referring to I remember and I'm only 32. Its just east of Bryant on the southside of Waterloo Rd. It was on the eastermost fringe of a neighborhood that was developed in the early to mid 90's.

CuatrodeMayo
06-02-2010, 07:50 AM
Actually, that neighborhood didn't exist until the early 2000's. There was a windsock out there right up until then, but I never saw a plane.

Bazooka Joe
06-02-2010, 09:39 AM
dont give Steve Wynn any development ideas.

RealJimbo
06-02-2010, 11:02 AM
The Wynn strip belonged to Dr. Wynn who lived just to the south of the strip. There may still be some of those red ball-shaped markers on the electrical wires along 33rd. They were placed there to help pilots see the wires when landing and taking off. Dr. Wynn used the strip until his passing.

OKCisOK4me
06-02-2010, 11:53 AM
I remember those orange-reddish balls on the high wires but that was back when they were wooden instead of metal and 33rd & Broadway wasn't quite the intersection it is these days!

Joe Kimball
06-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Yes, the balls on the lines! I remember seeing those a few years ago (whether they're there still I can't recall) and wondering why such a thing was placed "away from an airport".