View Full Version : Please help me find a home for this pet...

JamesAyers
06-01-2010, 05:39 PM
For the second time in less than six months, someone's pet has ended up on my front porch. It's as if they were waiting for me to come home to take care of them.

This dog is a very sweet animal. Although he may appear overweight, it is obvious after spending two days with him that he was an inside pet. He loves air conditioning and spending time sleeping on the couch. He is very loving, and I would really appreciate someone giving this special dog a good home.

I've put posters up all around my neighborhood, but no one has responded. This is your chance to be a dog's best friend. Call if you are interested.

405-445-4655

JamesAyers
06-02-2010, 11:04 AM
As of June 2, this pet is at the OKC Animal Shelter on SE 29th Street. I wish I could have kept him. He would make a great companion.

ksearls
06-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Is he housebroken?

JamesAyers
06-02-2010, 09:50 PM
He spent two days with me, and he went outside with my other dog when he needed to go. I don't know if he was completely housebroken, but he was definitely domesticated. The first day I had him, I put him in the sink and gave him a flea bath. He stood there and let me scrub him all over and didn't fight it at all. It was almost as if he was enjoying it. He was a really sweet dog, loved to lick and sleep on your lap. He really enjoyed going for a ride in the car. I regret not keeping him, but I just can't take on another pet at this time.

The shelter says that he will be available for adoption for three days. After that, it's all over. I would consider splitting the fees for shots from the shelter if someone was serious about taking him.

JamesAyers
06-04-2010, 10:50 AM
We have found a new home for George. Thanks to the few (two) people that were kind enough to show an interest in helping to find this dog a home.

ksearls
06-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Thank you for advocating for the doggie. Think it will enjoy its new home.

kim

JamesAyers
06-06-2010, 12:53 PM
I hope so. The shelter just called, and he's been given his shots, has been neuterered and is ready to come home. I'll pick him up at noon tomorrow.

I hope he enjoys Beneful, Pup-Peroni and squeaky toys.

PennyQuilts
06-06-2010, 07:25 PM
We have found a new home for George. Thanks to the few (two) people that were kind enough to show an interest in helping to find this dog a home.
I'm a rabid dog lover, involved in rescue and, frankly, don't appreciate the snarky tone. I don't have any leads for this darling so didn't respond. I am glad it turned out well for the wee beastie.

Perhaps I misunderstood and you didn't mean to make a snarky comment implying people didn't care. If so, I apologize.

JamesAyers
06-07-2010, 10:20 AM
I just learned something new. I've never heard the word 'snarky' before, I assumed that it might be defined as something sarcastic in nature.

No snark here. Just grateful that two people responded. Two is much better than zero. I shouldn't blame you for wondering if I was snarky. That's the problem with these forums, unless you know the person, it's easy to make assumptions.

Since you don't know me, I will share a bit about myself. George was sitting at my front door last Monday night when I got home. It was as if he knew I was on my way home. I had already taken in a stray in November, and there was no way I was going to do it again.

I put a box on my front porch, along with a towel for him to lay on and food/water. The next morning, he was lying on the porch directly in front of the door. It's almost as if he were blocking the door so that I couldn't get out without seeing him.

I brought him in and gave him a bath. He stood there in the sink and didn't flinch a bit. I think he may have enjoyed it. After keeping him for a day, I saw that I was getting attached to him, and I didn't want that to happen. I placed posters throughout the neighborhood and an ad on craigslist.com. Didn't get one single response from the posters. I decided to take him to the shelter Wednesday morning, in hopes that his owner may claim him.

To make a long story short, I felt guilty for two days, knowing that if someone didn't claim him quickly that he would be put to sleep. I felt selfish for not trying hard enough to help this pup, so I went back to the shelter on Friday morning and filled out the papers to reclaim him.

He's a sweet dog, and obviously someone's pet. If no one comes forward, I will keep him. Although some people have said that I should just let it go, I could not. Mainly because I have compassion for animals.

Now you know a bit about me, and I hope that you realize that there was no snark in my post.

James

Thunder
06-07-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm a rabid dog lover, involved in rescue and, frankly, don't appreciate the snarky tone. I don't have any leads for this darling so didn't respond. I am glad it turned out well for the wee beastie.

Perhaps I misunderstood and you didn't mean to make a snarky comment implying people didn't care. If so, I apologize.

Well... Penny, that post crossed over the line by miles.

JamesAyers
06-07-2010, 12:06 PM
George is now in his new home.

JamesAyers
06-07-2010, 12:14 PM
More details and photos at

James Ayers, formerly of 93.3 KKNG in Oklahoma City Oklahoma (http://jamesayers.blogspot.com)

old okie
06-07-2010, 02:46 PM
George is now in his new home.

Thank you for caring about a stray dog; you'd already done much by taking in the other one that found you in November. George sounded like a great companion just waiting to go to a good home.

Unfortunately, many people can't have pets for a variety of reasons. On forums, I think many people read, but not knowing what to say, say nothing at all. I'm bad about doing that.

Your kindness toward the strays shows clearly in your post. Personally, I did not find your comment about only two people responding to be sarcastic, but everyone interprets words differently. My thought was, "Oh good. At least someone responded!"

PennyQuilts
06-07-2010, 08:03 PM
I just learned something new. I've never heard the word 'snarky' before, I assumed that it might be defined as something sarcastic in nature.

No snark here. Just grateful that two people responded. Two is much better than zero. I shouldn't blame you for wondering if I was snarky. That's the problem with these forums, unless you know the person, it's easy to make assumptions.

Since you don't know me, I will share a bit about myself. George was sitting at my front door last Monday night when I got home. It was as if he knew I was on my way home. I had already taken in a stray in November, and there was no way I was going to do it again.

I put a box on my front porch, along with a towel for him to lay on and food/water. The next morning, he was lying on the porch directly in front of the door. It's almost as if he were blocking the door so that I couldn't get out without seeing him.

I brought him in and gave him a bath. He stood there in the sink and didn't flinch a bit. I think he may have enjoyed it. After keeping him for a day, I saw that I was getting attached to him, and I didn't want that to happen. I placed posters throughout the neighborhood and an ad on craigslist.com. Didn't get one single response from the posters. I decided to take him to the shelter Wednesday morning, in hopes that his owner may claim him.

To make a long story short, I felt guilty for two days, knowing that if someone didn't claim him quickly that he would be put to sleep. I felt selfish for not trying hard enough to help this pup, so I went back to the shelter on Friday morning and filled out the papers to reclaim him.

He's a sweet dog, and obviously someone's pet. If no one comes forward, I will keep him. Although some people have said that I should just let it go, I could not. Mainly because I have compassion for animals.

Now you know a bit about me, and I hope that you realize that there was no snark in my post.

James

There was no doubt in my mind that you were a dog lover who cared about the dog. No question, what so ever. I took offense because it seemed like you needlessly went out of your way to point out that only a few tried to help. Like I said, I apologize if I took it wrong.

JamesAyers
06-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Not a problem. No offense taken.

Thanks again,

James

JamesAyers
06-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Thank you for caring about a stray dog; you'd already done much by taking in the other one that found you in November. George sounded like a great companion just waiting to go to a good home.

Unfortunately, many people can't have pets for a variety of reasons. On forums, I think many people read, but not knowing what to say, say nothing at all. I'm bad about doing that.

Your kindness toward the strays shows clearly in your post. Personally, I did not find your comment about only two people responding to be sarcastic, but everyone interprets words differently. My thought was, "Oh good. At least someone responded!"

Thanks so much. I wanted to make sure that I gave proper thanks and credit to those who tried to help. I really appreciate the kind words from you and everyone else.

James