View Full Version : 30,000 and 60,000 mile services and tune ups

ddavidson8
05-29-2010, 06:53 PM
I've never had to do any of these services, but I want to try and keep my truck in good shape so I don't have another car payment in the near future. How much can I expect to pay for these types of services and how do I find a reputable mechanic? The truck is a 2006 Dodge Ram. I just rolled 60,000 miles.

By the way, I wasn't sure where to post this, so please have mercy if this is the wrong thread.

Jethrol
05-29-2010, 07:29 PM
I've paid for the dealer to do this service for me. I may pay more but it gives me peace of mind and they also check/fix recall notices.

Midtowner
05-29-2010, 08:13 PM
These are possibly a waste of your money. Don't take your car to the dealership for anything but in warranty repairs. By and large, dealership mechanic shops are there to scam you.

I recommend heading over to Swanson's downtown. They do a great job with my cars. Never once have they pressured me to "flush" anything or change parts out just 'cuz.

ddavidson8
05-29-2010, 10:40 PM
Do you think a tune up is necessary at this milage?

Larry OKC
05-29-2010, 10:46 PM
It probably can't hurt but the mileage "check engine" lights are designed as a means for the dealership to charge $50 or so to turn it off. Yeah, they will perform diagnostic and some stuff is recommended at those intervals anyway. Bad part about NOT getting it looked at/reset is you don't know when something serious warning and you are thinking it is just the mileage one. But I remember the first time mine went off and nearly panicked (then when I took it in was told the above by the dealership).

Larry OKC
05-29-2010, 10:49 PM
I am NOT mechanically inclined but it is my understanding that with today's heavily computerized cars, fuel-injected etc, that "tune-ups" are obsolete. May be completely wrong on that.

Thunder
05-30-2010, 12:14 AM
Tune-up is not a thing of the past. We still have the basics, such as spark plugs, etc.

So, when we buy a used vehicle, do they all go thru a tune-up?

oneforone
05-30-2010, 06:20 AM
Tune-up is not a thing of the past. We still have the basics, such as spark plugs, etc.

Not, exactly most just go through a basic inspection and cleaning.

In regards to the orginal poster. Any shop can do preventative maintenance. It pays to ask friends and family who they use and get price quotes for the service. Taking the time do a little homework can save you lots of cash.

Stay away from any place that does the hard sell on services. The better shops will tell you what you need now, what can wait and what is just a waste of time and money. Ex:$20 to replace an air filter or wipers. You can buy both items at a parts store for much less and install them yourself in a few minutes.

I am an ex-military mechanic. We occassionally worked with reservists who worked at dealerships under every franchise. Almost everyone of them told me to avoid the dealership if possible because the dealers do more parts changing then anything else. The average dealership will not repair anything unless it is a quick fix that takes less then 5 minutes. Dealerships make more money on parts then they do repairs. Therfore, they make every effort to avoid repairs if they can just replace a part with a new one to correct the issue.

MadMonk
05-30-2010, 08:14 AM
First, check your owners manual. It will tell you the various recommended change intervals for your truck. Also, I'm assuming you've been doing regular oil and air filter changes.

In general though, your spark plugs are probably okay up to 100k miles if your truck doesn't burn oil. This also goes for the coolant in the radiator. I'd have someone check the serpentine belt for cracks and fraying. Also, I would consider doing a transmission oil change and a differential oil change. If it's a 4x4 you should have the transfer case fluid and front differential fluid changed as well.

BTW, I have to agree with the others above about going to a dealership. I would only go there if it's under warranty.

skyrick
05-30-2010, 11:45 AM

I just bought a 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8L. Actually, the historic model of a "tune-up" IS a thing of the past. With elec ignition and computers there's nothing to replace or adjust; well, maybe the spark plugs...after 100,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first.

Oil change recommended every 7.5k miles, I'll do it at 5k, just because I'm used to doing at 3k on every other car I've owned.

Other than that, a regular inspection of belts, hoses and vacuum lines should keep most modern cars performing well over 200k miles.

windowphobe
05-31-2010, 03:52 PM
There's nothing tune-able in anything made in the last 15 years; anybody who tries to sell you a "tune-up" is basically selling you a big bag of air.

You should have the owner's manual. (If you don't, get it; the manufacturer should be able to supply it, either by mail or through a dealership, or you may find one on eBay.) There is a service schedule therein. Follow it. Anything else, deal with as it happens.

(I have a set of those 100,000-mile plugs; in practice, I don't like to leave anything in an engine that long, so I'm on my third set at 120k. Then again, plugs for this car are $12 each.)

OKCRT
05-31-2010, 06:56 PM
2010 Rodge Ram with the Hemi requires the plugs be changed at 30k miles. There are also 2 plugs per cyl. from what I understand. So if you have this type of engine in the Ram then you might want to check in to getting the plugs changes. You want to keep that truck running like a fine tuned sewing machine!

ddavidson8
06-01-2010, 06:43 AM
Couldn't afford a Hemi. Just the regular Ram. I do change the oil and filters regularly. I teach so I'll talk to our auto shop teacher about giving it the once over.