View Full Version : OKC Kayaks

Downtowner405
05-29-2010, 12:03 AM
Ladies and gents. It's summer! Put down the video games and get with OKC Kayaks for some real fun! Check out their site. If you want to have some real fun, rent a kayak and hit Lake Hefner. They get a group together on Tues and Thurs nites and they also do a full moon paddle every month. Check their calendar for whitewater events too. They have kayaks for everyone. You can even get a kayak outfitted for the most discriminating fisherman! I've been kayakfishing for years and this place is one of the best outfitters I've seen. They're located right in downtown on Western. Your kids won't remember the highest score they ever got on an X-box game. But they sure will remember kayaking with the family!

Larry OKC
05-29-2010, 12:07 AM
Maybe that location will make more since once the MAPS 3 kayaking facility is built (at least a few years away) but seems aways from Lake Hefner?

Downtowner405
05-29-2010, 12:54 AM
Either way. Hefner is much cleaner and far more scenic however.

kevinpate
05-29-2010, 09:17 AM
Their website is OKC Kayak - Home (http://www.okckayak.com/)

Phone is 830-9689

Sounds interesting, provided they have rigs for husky folk

Downtowner405
05-29-2010, 09:22 AM
All you have to do is call or go down there and tell em what you want. They've got boats for every type.

kevinpate
05-29-2010, 09:36 AM
All you have to do is call or go down there and tell em what you want. They've got boats for every type.

Never really even thought about kayaks before as I'm not a small fella. But it does sound interesting, and it would make a for a real change from land based star gazing or night hiking.

I do believe I need to follow up on this. That's for the heads up.

mattjank
05-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Never rented from them, but Dave and his crew are very helpful, and they have tons of boats, even for big guys lime myself.

metro
06-01-2010, 09:24 AM
They've been there for a long time. I too agree that the Oklahoma River just blocks away would be just as good as Hefner. It's all just a matter of opinion really.

fuzzytoad
06-01-2010, 09:31 AM
I too agree that the Oklahoma River just blocks away would be just as good as Hefner.

Maybe if they included free penicillin..

Spartan
06-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Just tell junior not to touch the water at all costs and I'm sure it will be fine.

OU Adonis
06-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Is there any way they could keep the Oklahoma river somewhat clean?

jstanthrnme
06-01-2010, 02:30 PM
I rented a canoe from them for Memorial Day Weekend. Friday through today (tuesday) and it was a mere $50. Great service too! Looking at their calendar, there are a ton of events they host that I'm interested in. I'll be back for sure.

I had mentioned a specific brand of canoe I was interested in buying that they don't keep in stock. One of their employees was telling me about a paddling trip he is taking this summer in Minnesota, and offered to bring the canoe I wanted back from Minnesota on his way home. That is service!

betts
06-01-2010, 06:01 PM
As long as it's not a kayak you need to roll, it will probably be fine. If you fall in, keep your mouth shut. You consume as many noxious bacteria everytime you eat a hamburger that is not well done than you do in a mouthful of water, most likely. Most of the people who swam a distance through the water during the triathalon did not get sick.

Rover
06-01-2010, 07:23 PM
The OK River is fine. The issues were resolved months ago.

Larry OKC
06-02-2010, 05:09 AM
But the River IS a natural fed river with all of the associated run off, animal waste etc that nearly all natural fed bodies of water have.

But remember the MAPS 3 kayaking facility will NOT be organically connected to the River. While near the River, it will be City water fed (like the Canal) and recycled etc (according to the Mayor).

AP
09-01-2014, 09:59 AM
Would it be easier to rent from these guys, or at the river, or is there somewhere to rent at Lake Hefner?

BBatesokc
09-01-2014, 02:51 PM
Would it be easier to rent from these guys, or at the river, or is there somewhere to rent at Lake Hefner?

One of the main reasons we bought an River Adventure Pass is so that we can just walk up and get a Kayak at either the river downtown or Lake Overholser most anytime we feel the urge. No scheduling rental times, worrying about when we leave or come back and no hauling a boat around.

bradh
09-01-2014, 02:54 PM
nowhere to rent on Lake Hefner that I know of. Never understood why there isn't a shop along the trail at Hefner like they have at Overholser for bike/boat/kayak rental.

BBatesokc
09-01-2014, 03:59 PM
Our next purchase will be a couple of Advanced Elements inflatable kayaks. Didn't think I'd be a fan of an inflatable kayak - until I tried an Advanced Elements model. They are really nice and fit into a large carry bag - so no roof racks, trailer or pickup truck required to take it with you.

Urban Pioneer
09-03-2014, 11:45 AM
OKC Kayaks also rents and sells SUP's too. Neat store.