View Full Version : Students collaborate to design senior wellness centers proposed in MAPS 3

urbanity
05-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Two schools at the University of Oklahoma combine for class mixing interior design and architecture | OKG Scene.com (http://www.okgazette.com/p/12776/a/6332/Default.aspx?ReturnUrl=LwBkAGUAZgBhAHUAbAB0AC4AYQB zAHAAeAAslashAHAAPQAxADIANwAyADkA)

Spartan
05-28-2010, 01:50 PM
I saw this. I dislike the idea of incorporating the wellness centers with the votechs. And that also puts two of them on the far SW side of town..at Moore-Norman 134th/Penn and OCCC 74th/I-44. There are a lot of old people on the south side BUT they are closer in, north of 240. They messed up what could have been a cool concept by getting bogged down with the locations. I also disagree with the idea that it would be a mutually beneficial relationship and the elderly will mentor the votech students and may enroll in classes to expand their knowledge and fill their time as well. I am curious what green leafy substance may be responsible for that dream..

Popsy
05-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Spartan. Is the Moore-Norman VoTech at 134th and Penn really within the OKC city limits? If not, I doubt one of the OKC wellness centers will be located there.

Spartan
05-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Yeah, along Penn OKC city limits extend until 179th, the border with Norman. Along 134th, OKC city limits extend as far wast as Santa Fe, the border with Moore. This is the area my family tends to cluster around.

Steve
05-29-2010, 09:37 AM
What about the possibility of building one within the Oklahoma Health Center area attached to some senior housing?

Spartan
05-29-2010, 10:29 AM
There may be some awesome potential with that, although the senior housing would have to be across the street and privately developed or something..lots of potential for corrupt deals if they build it attached to a public facility. Senior housing is already a pretty murky field.

They need to focus on more urban neighborhoods that are outside of downtown. These are areas with a ton of elderly people and if you can integrate it with the surrounding neighborhood you may be able to get people walking around in a neighborhood for a change.