View Full Version : Memorial Day Weekend - 2010

MikeOKC
05-28-2010, 12:04 PM
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/1353/memorialday.jpg

afd_sDNYbpY

MikeOKC
05-28-2010, 12:35 PM
This morning I went to a convenience store and the clerk said, "Have a Happy Memorial Day!" I hear this a lot and it really troubles me that so many people don't realize what the day is all about. "Happy Memorial Day" is an oxymoron. That's why I posted the short 3:00 video above. It's hard for all of us to really remember between all the car dealership ads, grocery store pop specials and so forth. It helped me to take just three minutes with the above video...and remember.

MikeOKC
05-28-2010, 04:40 PM
A shameless bump. Don't forget.

MikeOKC
05-29-2010, 11:54 AM
I'll bump this a few times during the weekend.

workman45
05-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Memorial Day was originally known as Decoration Day because it was a time set aside to honor the nation's Civil War dead by decorating their graves. It was first widely observed on May 30, 1868, to commemorate the sacrifices of Civil War soldiers, by proclamation of General John A. Logan of the Grand Army of the Republic, an organization of former sailors and soldiers. On May 5, 1868, Logan declared in General Order No. 11 that:

The 30th of May, 1868, is designated for the purpose of strewing with flowers, or otherwise decorating the graves of comrades who died in defense of their country during the late rebellion, and whose bodies now lie in almost every city, village, and hamlet churchyard in the land. In this observance no form of ceremony is prescribed, but posts and comrades will in their own way arrange such fitting services and testimonials of respect as circumstances may permit.

Observances to honor those who had died in all of America's wars. In 1971, Congress declared Memorial Day a national holiday to be celebrated the last Monday in May.

It is NOT “Veteran’s Day.” A day set aside to honor all veterans, living and dead, who served with the U.S. armed forces in wartime. It is celebrated each year on November 11.

It is NOT “Armed Forces Day.” The purpose of Armed Forces day is to honor Americans serving in the five services - the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Armed Forces Day is celebrated on the third Saturday in May and Armed Forces Week begins on the second Saturday of May and ends on the third Sunday of May. Because of their unique training schedules, National Guard and Reserve units may celebrate Armed Forces Day/Week over any period in May

MikeOKC
05-29-2010, 02:07 PM
Observances to honor those who had died in all of America's wars. In 1971, Congress declared Memorial Day a national holiday to be celebrated the last Monday in May.

Absolutely. We have a day to honor veterans in general. Memorial Day is a day to remember those who died in war.

MikeOKC
05-31-2010, 10:25 AM
Bumping this Memorial Day so we can remember the price paid in blood for this country.
The video is 3 minutes long.

Thunder
05-31-2010, 11:54 AM
All those dead people would not want us to morn at their graves. Okay, so we pay a visit to lay down flowers, but other than that, they would want us to celebrate our freedom that they paid for us to have. We are doing just that! So, get out there, ride the boat on the lake, go get drunk, fire up the grill, or whatever it takes to enjoy the fun. End the day with fireworks and maybe something special at night under the stars.

MikeOKC
05-31-2010, 11:58 AM
All those dead people would not want us to morn at their graves. Okay, so we pay a visit to lay down flowers, but other than that, they would want us to celebrate our freedom that they paid for us to have. We are doing just that! So, get out there, ride the boat on the lake, go get drunk, fire up the grill, or whatever it takes to enjoy the fun. End the day with fireworks and maybe something special at night under the stars.

Wow. Is that how you would feel on a day to remember a dead loved one? Have you ever heard of respect? Are adults becoming an endangered species?

BJH
05-31-2010, 12:13 PM
Thank you, my brothers and sisters, you are not forgotten.