View Full Version : Paseo Arts Festival 2010

okclee
05-28-2010, 11:42 AM
The Paseo Arts District (http://www.thepaseo.com/index.html)

PASEO ARTS FESTIVAL 2010

Memorial Day Weekend,
May 29, 30, 31
The festival hours will be Saturday & Sunday from 10am to 8:00pm, with music until 11pm and Monday from 10am to 6pm, with music until 7:00pm. The Paseo is located between NW 30th and Dewey and N.W. 28th and Walker in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

http://www.thepaseo.com/events/images/paseofestival/2010PAAFestival_rgb_400.jpg

Spartan
05-28-2010, 11:56 AM
I think I might go on Saturday. It's going to be an art-packed weekend for me, with Paseo and then I haven't seen the Philbrook in a while, may check it out. The OKCMOA has an interesting film exhibit coming out soon, too.

bandnerd
05-28-2010, 12:11 PM
There is a photography exhibit in a gallery featuring photos taken by students at my school :) They are available for purchase. My favorite is the one where a kid kept every test strip he made (this is film photography, by the way) cut them down, taped them together and shaped them all into a tree.

soonerfan_in_okc
05-28-2010, 04:29 PM
how does it compare to the okc arts festival? I would assume that the OKC festival would take away from it a bit.

stlokc
05-28-2010, 06:15 PM
We have always gone to both festivals. They are different but they complement each other. The downtown festival is more corporate, the art is far more expensive, it's more renowned. The Paseo festival is much more of a "hippie" atmosphere. Lower-priced, more eclectic. Great people watching.
So: You want a stunning watercolor original for your formal living area, and some strawberries Newport? Go downtown.
Want a crazy, experimental piece and some organic food? Go to Paseo.
Better yet, be well-rounded and go to both.

kevinpate
05-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Need to try to fit this in one evening this weekend, if all remains calm enough anyways.

so1rfan
05-28-2010, 10:12 PM
Festival of the Arts is more corporate, runs longer and is much larger. They seek a larger scope of artists both nationally and internationally. You have to be a working artist to even enter. I will go three or four times for different reasons. (eat, art, eat, kids, eat). You can find affordable art there, but some of it can be quite expensive. Artists there pay a percentage of their sales to the Festival.

Paseo Arts Festival is more eclectic. The best word to describe it is "bohemian." Being a smaller festival it attracts more local artists (you don't have to be a working artist but you still have to go through the jury process.) The art is still top notch but more affordable. You will find artists that do both festivals. Artists there pay the entry fee and booth fee but do not have to pay a percentage sold. Not as much emphasis on food, but more fun, especially the people watching. It's only three days and so one half day visit is usually pretty good. The other part to that is the Paseo is the art district, so not only do you have the artists that come for the festival, you can also visit the permanent galleries and art studios that are always there.

I don't think either festival takes away from the other because they are different. If you were to compare, the Paseo would be more like the Edmond or the Fall Festival at OCCC, but mainly in size. I think the Paseo is much better than those as far as art goes.

Side note: I did the Paseo festival last year and was quite successful. I couldn't make it this year because I am out of the country. So for those of you that came by last year don't look for me this year. Maybe next year.

Support the arts.

Steve
05-29-2010, 09:36 AM
I think the Paseo is a pretty cool event

Spartan
05-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Just got back from tonight. The guy who was on the south stage around 7 I think was awesome. Took tons of pics.. OKC looks awesome when the streets are jammed with pedestrians.

stratosphere
05-31-2010, 07:50 PM
i went yesterday, it was HOT! Luckily we had plenty of cool beverages to quench our thirst, though probably not what the Dr. ordered. Anyway, had a great time and look forward to doing this again next year.

bluedogok
06-01-2010, 07:56 PM
It was sure busy around there on Saturday afternoon.

JTL
06-02-2010, 03:20 PM
any comments on the various food vendors (good, bad, etc)? Didn't make it to the show due to work obligations. The old guy with the "Chocolate Suicide Dessert" would have been tops on my list if I could have gone.

DammitDan
06-02-2010, 04:34 PM
The Whole Enchilada had a pretty nice indoor setup next door to Sauced. Really good tacos and salsa! I had thought they were opening downtown, but they seemed to have a full kitchen setup where they were...

FritterGirl
06-02-2010, 04:49 PM
This is one of my favorite art festivals, if for nothing more, than just the diversity of people you see there. Art quality varies from things easily on par with, if not superior to, items found at the OKC Arts Festival, to well, flea-market variety stuff (I think that's largely on the "non-official" site, though.)

To me, the food offerings are the biggest downfall. Most vendors offer typical "state fair" type of foods from turkey legs to funnel cakes to fried Snickers, Twinkies and the like. I did have a Bob's Bodacious Burrito (spinach and black bean) and it was quite tasty. I personally prefer the broader variety of foods at the OKC Arts Festival, but understandably, they have actual restaurants serving up the fare there, so it's difficult to make a fair comparison.

One thing is for certain, the Paseo Arts Fetival certainly beats the Edmond Arts Festival hands down.

soonerguru
06-02-2010, 06:09 PM
One thing is for certain, the Paseo Arts Fetival certainly beats the Edmond Arts Festival hands down.

Was this ever a question?

Paseofreak
06-03-2010, 03:58 AM
The Whole Enchilada had a pretty nice indoor setup next door to Sauced. Really good tacos and salsa! I had thought they were opening downtown, but they seemed to have a full kitchen setup where they were...

Whole Enchilada was temporarily set up in "The Reserve", which is the banquet facility for Paseo Grill, the parent/sister of Whole Enchilada.