View Full Version : Question for firefighters

old okie
05-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Don't know if this is the proper part of the forum, but it certainly does apply to OKC, espcially now w/the budget problems at the City.

Why does the OCFD dispatch two trucks to places like assisted centers when the call is for a medical situation? I'm not talking about a fire! I know that firefighters are often on the scene before EMSA; no problem with that. But what I'm confused about is why there has to be TWO trucks dispatched?

Could someone please tell me? I'm all for speedy, appropriate assistance, but on several occasions when I've arrived at my mother's assisted center, I've noticed TWO fire trucks plus the ambulance to help with "medical" issues for the residents.

Not complaining, or blaming, or griping. I'd just like to know. Maybe sending only ONE truck could help the City financially???

To the moderator: feel free to move this thread to the most appropriate part of the forum. Thank you.

MGE1977
05-28-2010, 10:22 AM
I have never been dispatched to an assisted living or nursing home with multiple rigs, unless the pt is known to be large (we've moved 700 and 800 pounders). If you see multiple rigs at a nursing home it is due to either extenuating circumstances, and or multiple separate calls.

Nursing homes and assited living generate a huge number of rides per rig in OKC, often for things such as bad lab values or other non-emergent cases. This, I believe is the true waste of resources.

Please note, we will not grudgingly respond to these rides. You can count on our professionalism in any situation. It is just something that is unneccessary, and as previously stated, often some of the larger centers are very, very demanding as far as call volumes are concerned. It would not be surprising to have two rigs responding to separate rides at the same facility several times a day.

As a side note, often at stations that are not an Advanced Life Support station, (meaning a paramedic and three emt's) the brush rig will respond to assist and provide manpower. These rigs are full sized Fords with a small pump and hose on the back and really quite a bit less expense, but well worth the manpower that they provide.

I hope this answers your questions appropriately.

metro
05-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Since you started the thread, what the heck -

Here goes, so I've been seeing the firefighters out this week at various street intersections, namely on NW Expressway and Classen areas. They are doing their annual drive holding the rubber boots for money, I believe it benefits MDA? Anyhow, my question is are they doing this on City paid time or are they doing this in their volunteer hours?

Redskin 70
05-28-2010, 11:05 AM
They are ususally there on paid time so they can respond to any emergency that occurs,
get into the smaller jurisdictions where there are volunter depts and its all free time...............I got no problem with this aspect as they can and DO respond when called regardless of where they are.

MGE1977
05-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Since you started the thread, what the heck -

Here goes, so I've been seeing the firefighters out this week at various street intersections, namely on NW Expressway and Classen areas. They are doing their annual drive holding the rubber boots for money, I believe it benefits MDA? Anyhow, my question is are they doing this on City paid time or are they doing this in their volunteer hours?

For OCFD we are on paid time, for the majority of the "Fill the Booters" that you see. There are several fireman who raise money during this week who go to the most visible and busiest intersections on their own time (sometimes 12hrs a day.)

I really respect these guys for their volunteer efforts and the fact that the monies they raise are huge.

Why do you ask?

old okie
05-28-2010, 01:06 PM
I have never been dispatched to an assisted living or nursing home with multiple rigs, unless the pt is known to be large (we've moved 700 and 800 pounders). If you see multiple rigs at a nursing home it is due to either extenuating circumstances, and or multiple separate calls.

Nursing homes and assited living generate a huge number of rides per rig in OKC, often for things such as bad lab values or other non-emergent cases. This, I believe is the true waste of resources.

Please note, we will not grudgingly respond to these rides. You can count on our professionalism in any situation. It is just something that is unneccessary, and as previously stated, often some of the larger centers are very, very demanding as far as call volumes are concerned. It would not be surprising to have two rigs responding to separate rides at the same facility several times a day.

As a side note, often at stations that are not an Advanced Life Support station, (meaning a paramedic and three emt's) the brush rig will respond to assist and provide manpower. These rigs are full sized Fords with a small pump and hose on the back and really quite a bit less expense, but well worth the manpower that they provide.

I hope this answers your questions appropriately.

Aha! And thank you for the excellent information. Indeed, it always IS the 'brush rig' that I've seen with the regular fire truck, so the nearest station to my mom's asst. center must be one w/o the Advanced Life Support. It has only rarely happened that two patient incidents have occurred simultaneously--the residents always know what's happened to whom and why. [The center is just like a VERY small town where everyone knows everyone!]

I never thought about having a resident who was large in size who would need extra assistance, but that is not the case at the small center where my mom is. That makes sense, though.

And yes, the center does err on the side of caution about calling for help when a resident falls or is ill or shows signs of respiratory/heart distress. I have no problem with any of those situations. It is one of the benefits of having your loved one where he/she can get 24/7 care. Unfortunately, there will always be those for whom emergency services are called when it is unnecessary, but who can make that determination with certainty? Better safe than sorry.

Thank you for the insightful information. Now I can tell Mom why there are two fire trucks and the ambulance there!

rcjunkie
05-28-2010, 07:10 PM
While I may disagree with some of the Firefighters on OKC-TALK re: spending and budget issues, I have to give it up to them when it comes to raising money for Charity. In addition to raising money for Charity, they always pitch in to help their family (fellow firefighters) whenever there's a need.

Speaking of helping fellow fighters, would someone give an update on the Firefigher that was injured just before Christmas while hanging lights at his church--Thanks

Mikemarsh51
05-28-2010, 10:33 PM
Still off duty, used all of his leave and is on donated sick leave now. Could be the end of the year before he is back to work.

rcjunkie
05-28-2010, 11:14 PM
Still off duty, used all of his leave and is on donated sick leave now. Could be the end of the year before he is back to work.

Thanks, as always, he and his family are in my prayers.

barnold
05-29-2010, 07:53 PM
He actually came out to some training burns we were doing over the past week because he misses the station. He still has a long road to go before he will be released for full duty because of the surgeries but he told me he just wanted to "smell the smoke". Most people will never get what it means to be a part of the "brotherhood". Once you become one of the family and understand what the men and women of the department do everyday, you can't seem to get it out of your blood. He's one of those people and will fight to make it back as soon as he can.

rcjunkie
05-29-2010, 10:58 PM
He actually came out to some training burns we were doing over the past week because he misses the station. He still has a long road to go before he will be released for full duty because of the surgeries but he told me he just wanted to "smell the smoke". Most people will never get what it means to be a part of the "brotherhood". Once you become one of the family and understand what the men and women of the department do everyday, you can't seem to get it out of your blood. He's one of those people and will fight to make it back as soon as he can.

I've had several conversations with family members and friends that are Firefighters, and the bond there share is stronger then most family bonds.

Its great to hear he's getting out, with his fight and determination, it's sounds as though it's just a matter of time before he can return to work.