View Full Version : 'Top kill' stops gulf oil leak for now, official says

Pages : [1] 2

ronronnie1
05-27-2010, 02:50 PM
Los Angeles Times; May 27, 2010.

Officials are cautionary but say drilling fluid has blocked oil and gas temporarily. Engineers plan to begin pumping in cement and then will seal the well.

The "top kill" effort, launched Wednesday afternoon by industry and government engineers, had pumped enough drilling fluid to block oil and gas spewing from the well, Allen said. The pressure from the well was very low, he said, but persisting. The top kill effort is not complete, officials caution.

This oil spill is absolutely horrifying.

mugofbeer
05-27-2010, 03:05 PM
COVINGTON, Louisiana -- The Coast Guard says BP is having some success slowing the Gulf of Mexico oil leak by injecting mud but the fix isn't done yet.

Coast Guard Lt. Commander Tony Russell said Thursday reports that Admiral Thad Allen, who is overseeing the operation, had called the procedure a success were incorrect. He said Allen said that the flow of mud was stopping some of the oil and gas but had a ways to go before it proved successful.

BP spokesman Tom Mueller said the effort that started Wednesday to plug the blown-out well with mud, called a top kill, was continuing.

Mueller said BP PLC doesn't anticipate being able to say anything definitive on its success until later Thursday.

Bostonfan
05-27-2010, 04:21 PM
Drill baby drill

Caboose
05-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Drill baby drill

Agreed. We need to keep drilling.

Bunty
05-27-2010, 07:34 PM
I bet the people along Florida beaches DON'T have that thought in mind.

mugofbeer
05-27-2010, 08:05 PM
I bet BostonFan doesn't even own a car or has a gas powered heater in his house.

ronronnie1
05-27-2010, 09:17 PM
On a bright note, at least the gulf states, FL, TX, LA, AL, & MS certainly got (and are going to get) what they wanted - more offshore drilling.

Be careful for what you ask for.

My heart cries for the sealife, however.

venture
05-29-2010, 06:46 PM
Top Kill has officially failed.

'Top kill' fails, BP moves on 'to next option' - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/05/29/us.gulf.oil.spill/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1)

Jethrol
05-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Wow...this is scary. The top kill didn't work and there's talk that it's not flowing 5,000, 10,000, or even 20,000 bbls a day....some are saying that it's flowing at 120,000 bbls per day and that the casing blew out!!!! OMG. Seriously if you know anything about drilling and/or production operations....this is pretty much the absolute worst case scenario if it's true. They're saying it's also going to take years to stop the flow.

This video makes my stomach hurt.......except at the end where they start talking about the supertanker clean up solution.
YouTube - Matt Simmons: "Theres another leak, much bigger, 5 to 6 miles away".flv (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDGAoU1H2gM)

Bostonfan
05-29-2010, 07:29 PM
Drill baby drill

Jethrol
05-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Drill baby drill
WTF? Do you not drive at all? Do you not use any of the products that oil is a part of? IF you do drive or use any of these products, you can't sit back and act like this is a Republican problem. YOU are part of the problem also.

And really....you're gloating?? Really? What are you an idiot? This is shaping up to be the worst environmental disaster the world has ever seen. This will have HUGE impacts on everyone. It's hardly a time to gloat.

venture
05-29-2010, 11:00 PM
This brings back memories of a couple years before Katrina how they were warning the levy system couldn't survive the storm surge from a Cat 5 hurricane if it made landfall in the "right spot". Who would have thought only a Cat 3 in that "sweet zone" is all that it would take?

We have had the perfect storm with this again and really...we are too stupid and dependent on oil, that we are screwed for now. I would expect there will be a massive push to ensure all off shore rigs are operating properly and safe. This is a horrible tragedy and you have to feel for all the lives (human and non-human) that are suffering from this.

Thunder
05-29-2010, 11:16 PM
What effect does this have on gas prices? $5?

mike4ou
05-29-2010, 11:37 PM
I have heard $5/gal by eoy, 8/g by end of 2011. Just speculation but by industry people. Hope their backup plans go better.

Bostonfan
05-30-2010, 06:01 AM
WTF? Do you not drive at all? Do you not use any of the products that oil is a part of? IF you do drive or use any of these products, you can't sit back and act like this is a Republican problem. YOU are part of the problem also.

And really....you're gloating?? Really? What are you an idiot? This is shaping up to be the worst environmental disaster the world has ever seen. This will have HUGE impacts on everyone. It's hardly a time to gloat.

What WE humans will do for oil. DRILL BABY DRILL

FritterGirl
05-30-2010, 08:56 AM
Drill baby drill

You might as well be saying Kill Baby Kill, because that's what is happening to the vast marine life that calls the Gulf home. That's what is happening to the rare bird and other wildlife species that live in the marshlands along the Louisiana coastline. That's what is happening to the livelihood of those individuals reliant upon the gulf and the gulf shores areas to feed their families.

So, go ahead, gloat. "Kill, Baby, Kill."

I have heard $5/gal by eoy, 8/g by end of 2011. Just speculation but by industry people. Hope their backup plans go better.

Their "back-up" plan is at least 2 months out and evidence is coming out showing that they've been grossly under-reporting (not under-estimating) the amount that is actually spewing into the gulf.

PennyQuilts
05-30-2010, 09:08 AM
Europe has had high gas prices compared to ours, for years. It may well go up that high. It won't be until we can't afford it that anything will be done about a viable alternative. Human nature and investors go where the money is - not what is trendy unless money can be made on it. Energy creation is incredibly expensive, no matter the type, and it can't be developed by folks who just think that is a cool idea. There just aren't enough of them to fund it because it is "the right thing to do." Moreover, as long as there are places to obtain the oil that are off limits "by law" rather than by fact, there will be a push to bring it up.

For those of us who think in terms of high gas prices, that seems crazy. In parts of the county where they need this to heat their homes, not so much. We rely on petroleum products for everything. Gasoline is part of it because of our transportation system relies on the big trucks but what we personally pay to commute back and forth to work is nothing. We can pass that on to our customers, frequently. But when we start not having produce or other goods in our stores due to transportation costs, it takes it to a whole different place. And if we can't afford to produce essential goods that rely on petroleum products, at all, we're looking at a real crisis (not to minimize the gulf - just that it would be widespread and start killing people which always gets our attention).

But there are still places to drill that are tons safer than deep drilling - this has been a perfect storm of horrors. Shallower water would be a whole different ballgame and the argument that it would be closer to shore just doesn't stand up in comparison to relative disaster when you consider how awful it gets when the thing can't be controlled for weeks or months due to the depth. I am not saying this will fix the whole thing. I think this has been a disaster that will scare many of the most passionate drillers. But what I am saying is that we don't have good alternatives, right now. The horror of what is happening in the gulf is awful and we are watching it from our living rooms so it seems real. And it IS real. But the alternative - to not use the oil - would be a disaster on a scale that isn't right in front of us and is so hard to visualize by people who don't understand what would happen and how much we rely on oil. Wholesale death, is what would happen. Probably economic collapse.

The whole point of opening up off shore drilling by Obama just before this happened was because he understood that we NEED oil and relying on other countries to provide it amounts to a national security problem. There are no easy answers.

For the nerdy sci-fi buffs - think the spice in Dune.

Bunty
05-30-2010, 10:52 AM

He's just quoting what conservatives, like Sean Hannity, still want even after the BP spill. Why don't you go bitch at Sean Hannity? What conservative do you know who thinks new drilling in the Gulf of Mexico and elsewhere should be stopped?

mugofbeer
05-30-2010, 12:10 PM
What WE humans will do for oil. DRILL BABY DRILL

So what is your solution, Bostonfan? Pay even MORE money to the OPEC despots? Yes, we need to develop new technologies that will get us off the oil but it can't happen overnight. What is your solution?

It seems clear that what happened on this well was human error and/or failure to adhere to established policies and procedures. Companies who operate these wells need to ensure and be held accountable to their last penny, that quality and adherance to rules and regulations to ensure this can't happen again.

Yes, drill baby, drill! Just do it responsibly.

Thunder
05-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Just curious, what is the % of the Earth mass with all the oil lost? What is the loss % of the total estimated supply still within the planet?

I'll agree on the drilling. We need to.... DRILL, BABY, DRILL!

gmwise
05-30-2010, 12:59 PM
You (drill baby drill), have been putting this off for decades.
And the technology is here, it just needs to be economically feasible to use.
We have CNG, and as much as its still a fossil fuel, we got it here,and we can stop buying OPECs production of oil.

SkyWestOKC
05-30-2010, 01:03 PM
This really is the equivalent to an aircraft accident. Every now and then the s*** hits the fan and an airplane crashes. That doesn't mean we need to stop using air travel.

One major accident out of how many thousands of successful and safe offshore oil drills? Let's not let one egg spoil the bunch. Let's focus on stopping the leak, cleaning this up, and investigate what went wrong here to prevent future spills like this. I say let's keep drilling, let's just learn from this accident to continue improving safety.

That's how safety develops, no engineer can think of every way a chain reaction of failures can be set off. Once it does happen, we gain more insight and knowledge into how the human element interacts with the mechanical element. We never would have known about the rudder problems on Airbus A300/A310 series aircraft, had the accident in New York City shortly after 9/11 never happened.

Catastrophic failure is a necessary evil.

mugofbeer
05-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Its more than just the technology for the car, its the development of a whole new distribution system. I really don't know but I put the thought out there - is CNG a product that is safe enough for a half drunk, completely irresponsible or cell-phone using Joe Blow out there to fill up his/her own vehicle without causing an explosion that would level half a square mile?

Jethrol
05-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Its more than just the technology for the car, its the development of a whole new distribution system. I really don't know but I put the thought out there - is CNG a product that is safe enough for a half drunk, completely irresponsible or cell-phone using Joe Blow out there to fill up his/her own vehicle without causing an explosion that would level half a square mile?
Seriously? Is that the standard for a replacement fuel? If so, I don't think we'll ever migrate away from hydrocarbons.

skyrick
05-30-2010, 02:51 PM
Europe has had high gas prices compared to ours, for years. It may well go up that high. It won't be until we can't afford it that anything will be done about a viable alternative.

Absolutely! I've said this for years. When gas approached $4 a gallon a while back I was telling everyone I hoped it would go to $10! That's the only way alternative energy research and development will get beyond the talking and novelty stage.

Peach fuzz
05-30-2010, 07:43 PM
The stupid thing is, Most of the big oil companies bought the copyrights to alternative energy and renewable development... I can't stand those people... Sure it's what this state thrives on, but I would be more proud if our state was leading the way in renewable transportation.

SkyWestOKC
05-30-2010, 10:32 PM
Renewable transportation? If your car needs to be replaced after one drive, you might need to just stay off of the road.

mugofbeer
05-30-2010, 10:36 PM
Seriously? Is that the standard for a replacement fuel? If so, I don't think we'll ever migrate away from hydrocarbons.

It's the most viable interim alternative. Prius-like hybrids will go a long way. I would favor requiring every car to be a hybrid. Electric cars will become popular over time but they don't go very far between charges yet. They will be far more useful in more urban environments than in this part of the country. Until they can come up with affordable hydrogen vehicles or some other technology, natural gas is the first logical choice. But again, a distribution system and supply system will have to be developed and that takes time.

Jethrol
05-31-2010, 01:24 AM
Well the standard to which I was referring was the drunk guy.

But you know, hybrids and such have their own...unseen evils. Take electric cars for instance.....they run clean but they have lead all through the batteries. Hmmm....

Oh and what about the electricity to power those cars? Wind, Water, Gas, Coal and Nuclear.....those are the only options I know of to generate electricity. Gas and Coal fired electric generation plants are quite popular.

Most people don't want to talk about those things when talking about hybrids.

I'm all for alternatives and in fact, I'm quite the proponent of CNG vehicles.

When I think of electric cars I always think of the golf carts of the 80s and 90s. These things were made for golf specifically. Most people play 18 holes of golf.....however these electric carts would rarely make it though a full round unless you were prepared to walk a lot. Not only that....they would die quickly.....like very quickly.

Anyways, all this is off topic....but cheers anyways.

Bostonfan
05-31-2010, 06:31 AM
So what is your solution, Bostonfan? Pay even MORE money to the OPEC despots? Yes, we need to develop new technologies that will get us off the oil but it can't happen overnight. What is your solution?

It seems clear that what happened on this well was human error and/or failure to adhere to established policies and procedures. Companies who operate these wells need to ensure and be held accountable to their last penny, that quality and adherance to rules and regulations to ensure this can't happen again.

Yes, drill baby, drill! Just do it responsibly.

How about this. Before a company drills to make their millions. How about they know how to cap the damn thing if it blows. Is it too much to ask for them to be prepared?

Thunder
05-31-2010, 06:37 AM
http://obamaisabitch.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/sarah-palin-drill-baby-drill.jpg

gmwise
05-31-2010, 09:07 AM
It's the most viable interim alternative. Prius-like hybrids will go a long way. I would favor requiring every car to be a hybrid. Electric cars will become popular over time but they don't go very far between charges yet. They will be far more useful in more urban environments than in this part of the country. Until they can come up with affordable hydrogen vehicles or some other technology, natural gas is the first logical choice. But again, a distribution system and supply system will have to be developed and that takes time.

Oops you mean "regulation"?

Mugs, you need to be more careful with those ideas, they may take away your citizenship...lol

gmwise
05-31-2010, 09:08 AM
How about this. Before a company drills to make their millions. How about they know how to cap the damn thing if it blows. Is it too much to ask for them to be prepared?

Amen!

Double Edge
05-31-2010, 01:51 PM
Well the standard to which I was referring was the drunk guy.

But you know, hybrids and such have their own...unseen evils. Take electric cars for instance.....they run clean but they have lead all through the batteries. Hmmm....
Li-ion is the battery of choice now.

Oh and what about the electricity to power those cars? Wind, Water, Gas, Coal and Nuclear.....those are the only options I know of to generate electricity. Gas and Coal fired electric generation plants are quite popular.

Most people don't want to talk about those things when talking about hybrids.

I'm all for alternatives and in fact, I'm quite the proponent of CNG vehicles.

Well to wheel, electrics use about 1/2 the energy of ICE engines. So while converting cars to CNG is a good idea and far cheaper than electrics, converting the same cars to electric and powering them from a natural gas fired generating plant uses about 1/2 the fuel. Electric is the way to go long term. We're decades off from having much of our fleet replaced tho.

When I think of electric cars I always think of the golf carts of the 80s and 90s. These things were made for golf specifically. Most people play 18 holes of golf.....however these electric carts would rarely make it though a full round unless you were prepared to walk a lot. Not only that....they would die quickly.....like very quickly.

Anyways, all this is off topic....but cheers anyways.

Things are changing, slowly. The Nissan Leaf is expected to be in showrooms by the end of the year. It's got a 100 mile range and they are working to build a charging infrastructure.

Tesla just cut a deal with Toyota to supply them with drivetrains for vehicles that will be out before the next generation of Teslas, the Model S which are due in 2012. Tesla is also partnered with Daimler to supply drivetrains for some of their electrics. The Chevy Volt will be out in a year or so. And there's a few others. Of course, most of those are getting help from the government, directly or indirectly with tax credits, funding, loans and the like.

mugofbeer
05-31-2010, 10:55 PM
Oops you mean "regulation"?

Mugs, you need to be more careful with those ideas, they may take away your citizenship...lol

You keep thinking I am 100% conservative. That's simply not the case. I have 3 Prius's in my close family and they are a fabulous car. I know other hybrids aren't as fuel efficient but to me, there is no need for a 100% gasoline vehicle unless there is some extenuating circumstance. Prius type hybrids are the way to go. I hope the Chevy Volt is something similar.

SkyWestOKC
05-31-2010, 11:55 PM
Thunder, I'd drill that.

sacolton
06-01-2010, 11:21 AM
BP stocks take a HUGE DIVE!!!!

jn1780
06-02-2010, 11:21 AM
They got the saw stuck inside the pipe and the leak looks worse now.

Facepalm

FritterGirl
06-02-2010, 11:37 AM
For a really hysterical look at the BP goings-on or not goings-on as the case may be, you need to go to the "BP Cares" (http://www.twitter.com/BPGlobalPR) account on twitter and read their tweet stream. Funny funny stuff.

Some of my favorites are HERE (http://twitter.com/BPGlobalPR/status/15205307123), HERE (http://twitter.com/BPGlobalPR/status/15177604912), HERE (http://twitter.com/BPGlobalPR/status/15057422794) and HERE (http://twitter.com/BPGlobalPR/status/14995533275).

mugofbeer
06-02-2010, 12:26 PM
They said that once the pipe is cut, the flow will be about 20% more than it was before until (if) they get it capped. The report I saw said they should have the saw loose shortly and the pipe cut later this afternoon.

kevinpate
06-02-2010, 01:47 PM
They said that once the pipe is cut, the flow will be about 20% more than it was before until (if) they get it capped. The report I saw said they should have the saw loose shortly and the pipe cut later this afternoon.

Well, if the latest solution to the problem is to increase output 20%, I hope their solution to the latest solution gets here more quickly.

FritterGirl
06-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Not for the faint of heart: One example (http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/06/caught_in_the_oil.html)out of what are certain to be thousands.

redrunner
06-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Not for the faint of heart: One example (http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/06/caught_in_the_oil.html)out of what are certain to be thousands.

Absolutely sad. I didn't think it would get that bad.

FritterGirl
06-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Absolutely sad. I didn't think it would get that bad.

I'm afraid it's just the tip of the iceberg. BP is allegedly trying to stem media access to some of the coastal areas it knows are deeply affected.

Caboose
06-03-2010, 09:36 PM
I say let's give these hicks idea a chance.

It’s so simple it’s stupid not to try | YASRSLY (http://www.yasrsly.com/its-so-simple-its-stupid-not-to-try/76/)

PennyQuilts
06-03-2010, 09:38 PM
BP stocks take a HUGE DIVE!!!!

Oh please god they stay solvent long enough to correct this and pay for it.

FritterGirl
06-03-2010, 09:48 PM
I know there aren't a lot of Huffington Post (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/03/gulf-oil-spill-photos-ani_n_560813.html#s96442) fans here, but they've got some telling photographs. As noted in my earlier post, I think this is just the beginning of what we'll be seeing.

Sad that in other circumstances, the US Wildlife Department can fine a person for killing an animal on the endangered or threatened species list. The Louisiana Brown Pelican (Louisiana's State Bird) was just REMOVED from the list last year. My guess is after this disaster, they'll be added back.

Some biologists are predicting that some marine species unique to the gulf may be wiped out entirely.

I don't think we will EVER know the real toll on wildlife.

FritterGirl
06-03-2010, 09:55 PM
I say let's give these hicks idea a chance.

It’s so simple it’s stupid not to try | YASRSLY (http://www.yasrsly.com/its-so-simple-its-stupid-not-to-try/76/)

Good grief. Sadly, I'm not sure there's enough hay in the country to clean this up, but it's certainly worth a shot.

Thunder
06-03-2010, 10:23 PM
No one is doing anything to round up these animals until the situation is cleaned up?

jn1780
06-03-2010, 10:41 PM
The top hat they placed on the well so far doesn't look all that successful just looking at the rov feeds. At best it may be a wash, since they increased the leakage when they cut the bent riser pipe off.

Don't know if there are any other plans besides the relief well.

FritterGirl
06-03-2010, 11:28 PM
No one is doing anything to round up these animals until the situation is cleaned up?

Yes. Multiple wildlife groups and scientists are diligently working to do what they can, but I fear the task is just too daunting, and they can't even get out to some of the remote island areas and marshlands because access is either cut off or the risk of toxicity to humans is largely too great.

Thunder, THIS (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/17/oil-spill-florida-keys-sc_n_578318.html) article may help you get a grasp of some of it.

And still the oil flows....Day 45 (since the explosion). I don't know how the CEO of BP sleeps at night.

Bostonfan
06-04-2010, 06:23 AM
Yes. Multiple wildlife groups and scientists are diligently working to do what they can, but I fear the task is just too daunting, and they can't even get out to some of the remote island areas and marshlands because access is either cut off or the risk of toxicity to humans is largely too great.

Thunder, THIS (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/17/oil-spill-florida-keys-sc_n_578318.html) article may help you get a grasp of some of it.

And still the oil flows....Day 45 (since the explosion). I don't know how the CEO of BP sleeps at night.

I bet the bastard is sleeping like a baby.

venture
06-04-2010, 09:41 AM
[/B]

I bet the bastard is sleeping like a baby.

Considering he is whining "I just want my life back"...not sure how well he is sleeping. If I was CEO of a company where it lost what...30-40% of its market value on my watch, and an additional 3-5% every day...I would probably be a little restless. Especially knowing I have a bill coming from the US Government for at least $1 Billion not to mention all the additional lawsuits and claims from property/business/home owners.

MGE1977
06-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Again, not a lot of Huff Post readers here, but I heard about this spill on NPR last week. It is remarkably similar to BP. '79 Gulf oil spill leaves sobering lessons for BP (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20100604/lt-gulf-oil-spill-ixtoc/)

This is the true issue I have with this nonsense as addressed in earlier posts by somebody with regards to preparation.

In the fire service we practice time tested tactics the results of which are very effective. In the event that something hinky happens, option b,c, etc, etc, are already in play and ready to activate. The last I heard, relief wells might be the only option, as they were for PeMex. If that is the case, why the 'f' weren't those relief wells dug concurrently? Why did we have to wait for "caps" to be fabricated in the first few weeks of the spill?

Yet another argument for fireman running stuff.

YouTube - What if Firefighters Ran the World? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO6DORwBzuA)

FritterGirl
06-04-2010, 10:44 AM
HERE (http://www.ifitwasmyhome.com/) is an interesting take on things. Helps you visualize the size of the spill based upon your local geography. Note this is just the estimated area surface. It doesn't begin to chart the depths.

According to the map, if the spill were in Oklahoma, assuming Oklahoma City at its center, its surface area would span down I40 from just over the Texas border to Okmulgee (east-west), and fro approximately Fort Sill to just past the Kansas border (north-south).

You can change the map location and see what the spill would look like in different places.

More reports of wildlife coming up dead on beaches. As I've said before, I fear this is just the beginning.

mugofbeer
06-04-2010, 10:46 AM
I just bet we're going to find out the entire thing was caused by some mid- to low-level supervisor making a stupid decision that runs counter to company policy, rules and regulations in concert with the fact the underwater emergency shut off equipment was known to have problems. Yes, ultimately BP and/or the partnering contractors are ultimately responsible but BP's corporate people and investors didn't want this to happen any more than you or I did. When the cost of the lost well, the cost of the lost oil, the cost of the cleanup, the cost of the environmental lawsuits, the cost of the lawsuits from lost jobs and careers for people such as shrimpers and fisherman and all the federal lawsuits are added up, BP may not survive this as it is now.

Bunty
06-04-2010, 12:44 PM
I hope anyone who thinks this oil spill should be regarded as no worse in significance as a passenger jet plane crash have changed their minds by now.

FritterGirl
06-04-2010, 04:30 PM
One good story (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127482022), at least.

mugofbeer
06-04-2010, 04:50 PM
I hope anyone who thinks this oil spill should be regarded as no worse in significance as a passenger jet plane crash have changed their minds by now.

I just pray they can get it stopped before the relief wells. I can't see their latest attempt is doing a significant amount of good yet.

PennyQuilts
06-04-2010, 05:41 PM
I just bet we're going to find out the entire thing was caused by some mid- to low-level supervisor making a stupid decision that runs counter to company policy, rules and regulations in concert with the fact the underwater emergency shut off equipment was known to have problems. Yes, ultimately BP and/or the partnering contractors are ultimately responsible but BP's corporate people and investors didn't want this to happen any more than you or I did. When the cost of the lost well, the cost of the lost oil, the cost of the cleanup, the cost of the environmental lawsuits, the cost of the lawsuits from lost jobs and careers for people such as shrimpers and fisherman and all the federal lawsuits are added up, BP may not survive this as it is now.

Yup.

They had a horrible safety record. Why they let these guys drill a mile down floors me.