View Full Version : Wheeler District

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

BG918
06-17-2021, 01:39 PM
Impressed by this development and Carlton Landing. The Humphrey's have created a unique brand with these New Urbanism developments and I'll be interested to see where they end up going next.

Pete
06-17-2021, 01:41 PM
Wish something similar was happening at Strawberry Fields.

Canoe
06-17-2021, 01:57 PM
Wish something similar was happening at Strawberry Fields.

Do you think they would they allow it?

Pete
06-17-2021, 02:10 PM
Do you think they would they allow it?

What Blair Humphreys is doing with Wheeler involved about a decade of planning, having several big public charettes (out-doing anything done by anyone here, including the city itself), hiring a nationally-known and very expensive urban planning firm, working first with economic development for years then completely bypassing them when they only put up roadblocks.

Wheeler didn't just happen, it took big family resources and Blair's sheer force of ample will and intellect... Not to mention an incredible drive to do something meaningful in OKC. I remember sitting down with him and going over this massive and complex spreadsheet (and I'm a bit of a spreadsheet guru) and being awed at how much effort he was putting into that project.

And I say all this not because I'm buddies with Blair; we've actually had our differences and I've met him in person no more than a handful of times and none in several years. I also seriously doubt that I will ever live in or near the Wheeler District (although it's turning out so great I'm starting to thaw on that a bit).

No disrespect to the SF people but what I described is what it takes to get to where the Wheeler District is headed.

Teo9969
06-20-2021, 09:56 AM
What Blair Humphreys is doing with Wheeler involved about a decade of planning, having several big public charettes (out-doing anything done by anyone here, including the city itself), hiring a nationally-known and very expensive urban planning firm, working first with economic development for years then completely bypassing them when they only put up roadblocks.

Wheeler didn't just happen, it took big family resources and Blair's sheer force of ample will and intellect... Not to mention an incredible drive to do something meaningful in OKC. I remember sitting down with him and going over this massive and complex spreadsheet (and I'm a bit of a spreadsheet guru) and being awed at how much effort he was putting into that project.

And I say all this not because I'm buddies with Blair; we've actually had our differences and I've met him in person no more than a handful of times and none in several years. I also seriously doubt that I will ever live in or near the Wheeler District (although it's turning out so great I'm starting to thaw on that a bit).

No disrespect to the SF people but what I described is what it takes to get to where the Wheeler District is headed.

To be sure there, there's a permanence in the work that Blair and co have done already such that some of the initial work Blair did will longer necessary for future projects that mimic this, and that future projects will get more buy in and resources from the community when such a plan is presented. i'm not saying they could do in 5 years what they did in 10 years by any means, but I do think given their success they could do it in less time with more help in the resource department.

One would hope that Blair has at least one more of these types of herculean efforts in him after this thing is basically finished around 2030.

andrew
06-20-2021, 12:55 PM
Noticed that airpark coffee in the shop homes here has opened with temporary business hours from noon-6pm

Pete
06-20-2021, 03:03 PM
Noticed that airpark coffee in the shop homes here has opened with temporary business hours from noon-6pm

That's very cool.

I don't even like coffee but will go check them out.

krisb
06-20-2021, 04:14 PM
Airpark Coffee looks very cool. Just curious why a coffee shop would not be open in the morning? Based on some of the previous comments in this thread, 12-6p would not be a good time for business since everyone is at school and work. I really want this development to be a functioning mix of uses for residents of Wheeler and nearby neighborhoods.

king183
06-20-2021, 04:39 PM
Airpark Coffee looks very cool. Just curious why a coffee shop would not be open in the morning? Based on some of the previous comments in this thread, 12-6p would not be a good time for business since everyone is at school and work. I really want this development to be a functioning mix of uses for residents of Wheeler and nearby neighborhoods.

They are temporary hours until they get everything in order and do a grand opening, which should be in a couple weeks. Their normal business hours will be 7am to 7pm.

They have done a great job with such a small space—and they’re not even done.

andrew
06-21-2021, 10:13 AM

warreng88
06-21-2021, 12:02 PM
It should be noted that they serve coffee in the Terminal as well. I think the hours are 8-2.

shawnw
06-21-2021, 12:26 PM
8-8 for Terminal Commons, unless you just meant coffee

Pete
07-13-2021, 02:17 PM
I had mentioned upthread that Nonesuch was planning to relocate to Wheeler.

Those plans have been called off and they just filed a building permit to expand their current space on Hudson.

shawnw
07-13-2021, 03:06 PM
Good for midtown. And makes sense to expand into the space next door that isn't really getting utilized.

Pete
08-01-2021, 12:44 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler080121a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler080121g.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler080121b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler080121h.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler080121c.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler080121d.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler080121e.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler080121i.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler080121f.jpg

5alive
08-01-2021, 01:26 PM
Hard to express how much I like this development!

dcsooner
08-01-2021, 01:48 PM
I like the development but the industrial areas adjacent to it (for me)take away from the area . Similar to the auto salvage yard across from the Lower Park area

dankrutka
08-01-2021, 04:16 PM
If you haven’t been to a Wheeler Crit, it’s a really fun event. It was packed on Tuesday.

Roger S
08-02-2021, 07:18 AM
Was at Metro Appliance over the weekend looking at appliances for the farmhouse and overheard a couple talking to a salesperson there that were building in Wheeler.

They spoke good English but I've had a couple of friends from Brazil and their accents sounded very similar to the two Brazilians I've known and it kind of sounded like they were relocating here from somewhere else.

Plutonic Panda
08-02-2021, 11:15 AM
Half of family is from Brazil and many are relocating to OKC from Brazil or Dallas. Hopefully we get more Brazilian restaurants here. I was hoping they’d go with a Fogo de Chao in first national center but maybe they can build one in the wheeler district.

warreng88
08-03-2021, 10:01 AM
This development is getting a lot of hate (again) on Pete's facebook post. Still don't understand why. If you don't like it, fine, don't live there. If it costs too much, fine, don't live there. It is a great development for the city and I am glad the Humpreys are moving forward with it.

David
08-03-2021, 10:22 AM
Apparently building homes in an empty field is gentrification. Who knew.

catcherinthewry
08-03-2021, 10:23 AM
Apparently building homes in an empty field is gentrification. Who knew.

An empty field with lots of TIF money.

David
08-03-2021, 10:25 AM
An empty field with lots of TIF money.

A bunch of fairly densely put together homes in a previously empty field are going to generate a lot more property tax than the empty field ever did.

shawnw
08-03-2021, 10:33 AM
I'm no fan of TIF abuse, but the place had nearly zero infrastructure (outside the edges) before Wheeler. Seems like a textbook case of valid TIF use to me.

catcherinthewry
08-03-2021, 11:51 AM
A bunch of fairly densely put together homes in a previously empty field are going to generate a lot more property tax than the empty field ever did.

I understand this, but there are plenty of developments than generate more property tax money than previously that receive no TIF money. Do you honestly believe that this project would not have happened without TIF money? It's own popularity would suggest it wasn't a huge gamble and that this land was a great location which was ripe for development.

David
08-03-2021, 12:07 PM
I understand this, but there are plenty of developments than generate more property tax money than previously that receive no TIF money. Do you honestly believe that this project would not have happened without TIF money? It's own popularity would suggest it wasn't a huge gamble and that this land was a great location which was ripe for development.

I'm not going to make a guess on that, because I have no basis for it other than complete speculation.

shawnw
08-03-2021, 12:50 PM

Based on the amount they received and based on things I've heard from employees, I'm going to say no or much much less likely in the very least.

It's only this popular because of the quality of the outcome. While it was popular with the niche groups like ourselves, the public had nothing to go on.

cinnamonjock
08-03-2021, 01:16 PM
Saw someone comment about being afraid of fire with the buildings being close together. Is that a common thought around here? Do they not know about this stuff existing in other cities?

Anonymous.
08-03-2021, 01:34 PM
Given the uniform exterior [metal] materials, I would say this is probably one of the best neighborhoods in OKC for preventing a fire from spreading.

Zuplar
08-03-2021, 01:59 PM
I'm no fan of TIF abuse, but the place had nearly zero infrastructure (outside the edges) before Wheeler. Seems like a textbook case of valid TIF use to me.

Agreed.

Not a fan of the development myself, (it's just really out of place and kind of strange looking), but I'd have to agree this is where you'd want to use TIF.

dankrutka
08-03-2021, 03:12 PM
Wheeler really only looks strange to those looking from aerial views, which unless you’re a bird, is not how you experience neighborhoods. On the ground, it just feels like a denser neighborhood with front porches and sidewalks.

onthestrip
08-03-2021, 03:30 PM

Then what makes this any different than a new neighborhood in a pasture in Piedmont? That pasture has no infrastructure and the new neighborhood that any homebuilder is developing has to install their own roads and utilities as well. What makes Wheeler special enough to get $85 million in TIF money and others dont?

runOKC
08-03-2021, 03:41 PM
Then what makes this any different than a new neighborhood in a pasture in Piedmont? That pasture has no infrastructure and the new neighborhood that any homebuilder is developing has to install their own roads and utilities as well. What makes Wheeler special enough to get $85 million in TIF money and others dont?
I would say the biggest difference is it’s in the middle of the city and not a cow pasture in a suburb.

Plutonic Panda
08-03-2021, 03:44 PM
Wheeler really only looks strange to those looking from aerial views, which unless you’re a bird, is not how you experience neighborhoods. On the ground, it just feels like a denser neighborhood with front porches and sidewalks.
I drove through it yesterday. It still feels like it has a long ways to go before it really feels like real neighborhood, IMHO. But I am excited for what’s to come and commend those who went all in early. I need to hit up TBF.

Dob Hooligan
08-03-2021, 06:04 PM

I would suggest that the Piedmont pasture would be just another version of "Lyon Estates", the 1955 subdivision in the movie "Back to the Future". An urban sprawl community that can't keep up with the growing demands for water, sanitary sewer, storm drainage, electricity, natural gas, roads, schools and mass transit that have plagued America for over 50 years.

Wheeler District is forced to deal with so many of these issues up front and provides some of the "Big League City" vibe that American big business requires.

GoGators
08-03-2021, 08:45 PM

The long term cost to the city for a development in a pasture on the outskirts of the city will far exceed any tif money wheeler receives.

Zuplar
08-04-2021, 06:47 AM

Seemed just as strange to me when I drove around it a few weeks ago, and driving is typically how I experience neighborhoods.

andrew
08-04-2021, 08:05 AM
Seemed just as strange to me when I drove around it a few weeks ago, and driving is typically how I experience neighborhoods.

What is in particular is strange about the neighborhood? I have seen neighborhoods like Wheeler district all around the contiguous United States and scattered around most of the world particularly in Eastern and Western Europe, around many parts of SE Asia, and all around most of Oceania and Asia. The tenets and principles of “New Urbanism”, which Wheeler District tries to follow, are simply just a quantification of typical towns seen around most of the world. The idea that a town or city can only exist as an experience that requires an automobile seems to be a mentality that many many Oklahomans believe to be the only standard of living.

progressiveboy
08-04-2021, 03:22 PM
What is in particular is strange about the neighborhood? I have seen neighborhoods like Wheeler district all around the contiguous United States and scattered around most of the world particularly in Eastern and Western Europe, around many parts of SE Asia, and all around most of Oceania and Asia. The tenets and principles of “New Urbanism”, which Wheeler District tries to follow, are simply just a quantification of typical towns seen around most of the world. The idea that a town or city can only exist as an experience that requires an automobile seems to be a mentality that many many Oklahomans believe to be the only standard of living.

Agree! That seems to be one of OKC downfall, is it's sprawl and so "car-centric."

progressiveboy
08-04-2021, 03:31 PM
This development is exciting, new and different ! It seems "some" residents are so resistant to change and new ideas. I understand everyone has their opinions on this development. I love the "New Urbanism" concept and that they used collaboration and the charrette process!

Zuplar
08-05-2021, 07:10 AM

It's strange in that it doesn't look like anything that's around it. At the end of the day it's just not for me and that's okay. Plenty of things aren't for me. IMO it sticks out just as much as when someone builds a farmhouse or stucco house in the middle of a neighborhood with a bunch of brick homes. It's not the end of the world, but it does stick out.

BoulderSooner
08-05-2021, 07:44 AM
It's strange in that it doesn't look like anything that's around it. At the end of the day it's just not for me and that's okay. Plenty of things aren't for me. IMO it sticks out just as much as when someone builds a farmhouse or stucco house in the middle of a neighborhood with a bunch of brick homes. It's not the end of the world, but it does stick out.
I’m sure once wheeler is closer to being finished and the street grid is connected. The neighborhood to the west will start being demolished and rebuild one house at a time.

Plutonic Panda
08-05-2021, 01:32 PM
But you have to start somewhere right? lol I mean it does look out of place at the time and like I said I really commend those who moved their first for doing so. Honestly that would be very depressing for me even seeing new construction happening. But I know this will be one of the best neighborhoods in the city one day.

Pete
08-22-2021, 09:56 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler082221a.jpg

Pete
10-07-2021, 05:48 AM
Wheeler continues to sell homes as fast as they can build them.

The first photo is the core of what will be the condo building directly west of the newly-finished barrel-shaped office building.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler100621e.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler100621b.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler100621c.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler100621d.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler100621a.jpg

5alive
10-07-2021, 07:25 AM
Love the density!

traxx
10-07-2021, 03:34 PM
Love the density!

My density has bought me to you

Bowser214
10-07-2021, 03:42 PM
Drove out there this afternoon and pictures don't do it justice. Such a cool development!

HOT ROD
10-08-2021, 11:50 AM
does look nice, particularly with the skyline in the background. Is there a plan to add sidewalks to Western Avenue? I'd imagine there is/will be lots of interest walking or bike riding from/to Wheeler and Downtown/River/parks. ...

Weird that there still are none IMO.

HOT ROD
10-08-2021, 11:55 AM
I think it would be very cool if Wheeler added a model airplane "Airport" area complete with a runway and taxiways for enthusiasts to come use. It could be a throwback to the former use of the lands while also adding yet another amenity for the city.

Any way we could propose to the developers/city?

amocore
10-08-2021, 01:18 PM
I think it would be very cool if Wheeler added a model airplane "Airport" area complete with a runway and taxiways for enthusiasts to come use. It could be a throwback to the former use of the lands while also adding yet another amenity for the city.

Any way we could propose to the developers/city?

Through the few years I have been reading these OKC talk forum, it is the dorkiest proposition I have ever seen !

I cant imagine resident excited at the idea of hearing the sounds of these models and agree to see their expensive houses damaged by one mishap.

Probably why we have RC airfield in remote area by Drapper and Hefner lakes.

HOT ROD
10-09-2021, 06:04 PM
to each his own. Doesn't seem to be an issue with folks having drones in typical neighborhoods.

Ill return the favor and troll your posts too.

Bellaboo
10-11-2021, 08:11 AM
Probably why we have RC airfield in remote area by Drapper and Hefner lakes.

There is another in a farmers field just north of Yukon. Even has a port a potty. lol

T. Jamison
10-11-2021, 10:36 AM
Through the few years I have been reading these OKC talk forum, it is the dorkiest proposition I have ever seen !

7 time Formula 1 World Champion, Sir Lewis Hamilton started by racing RC cars when he was 5 years old. What future astronaut or test pilot may find their passion and direction flying RC planes?

"Dorks" rule the world and I don't think it's very kind to poo-poo on peoples hobbies.

Pete
12-12-2021, 06:37 AM
You can see in the third photo that construction is well underway on the condo building directly west of the barrel-shaped structure.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler121121a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler121121b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler121121c.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler121121d.jpg

king183
12-12-2021, 11:21 AM
The house under construction in the lower left, seemingly off by itself, is a custom all-brick build by Building Culture. It’s going to be something completely different in the neighborhood.

5alive
12-12-2021, 11:38 AM
Google Building Culture...they are doing amazing work!

shawnw
12-15-2021, 10:33 PM
Bike racks finally going in!

https://youtu.be/O1loO4Y4ySc

ComeOnBenjals!
12-30-2021, 10:36 AM
I currently live in Tulsa... love following along with this project. Jealous, there's nothing really like it built up here.

Curious about the work/live locations... can anyone give some insight on what business (if any) are open in these? The houses are very nice, but the shops are the coolest thing IMO by far. Reminds me of Bob's Burgers :)