View Full Version : Wheeler District

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

soonerguru
12-12-2017, 10:44 PM
Looks like Kirk's candidate lost in Alabama tonight.

soonerguru
12-12-2017, 10:50 PM
Would he discriminate in the hiring process of a new president? Would his religious beliefs trump the hiring of a qualified individual for the post? How can he be an effective regent if he can not take a secular view of a secular job? He is free to have his opinions but he has no "right" to be a regent at a public university.

Excellent points, but who would argue that what he said is remotely OK for an official representing a major public university in a leadership role? If I were to say that I would probably run the risk of being fired from my private sector job.

His job is to support the academic excellence of the university and provide sound guidance of its finances. Anything else is bad. He just took a big dump on OU and it has garnered international news coverage.

It's also an extreme embarrassment that these articles reference him as a former mayor of the city we love.

He also made the weird and likely racist comment about people with "better genes" moving to Edmond and the suburbs a couple of years ago. WTF? It sounded like something you would read in a text about Eugenics.

He is an embarrassment to OU, OKC and the state. He cannot control himself when speaking publicly. He really ought to just kick back at the golf course and enjoy his 1% lifestyle and keep his Jerry Falwell mentality out of public view.

soonerguru
12-12-2017, 10:53 PM
Is it okay to have a religious man serve a university? It seems your answer is no. Here is Kirk's response from the article for the record.

Give me a break. Really, man?

king183
12-13-2017, 07:17 AM
Anyway....let's get back to Wheeler District and take the discussion of Kirk Humphrey's religious and political comments to the appropriate thread.

Have you all seen the Wheeler District Master Plan? I don't think it's on their website, but it was at their pop-up shop. It shows Western being lined with commercial and Western Ave completely redone to have roundabouts, bike lanes, and large sidewalks. It also shows how Western will be remade to connect the east and west side of Wheeler. It also shows a connection being created with the neighborhood to the west. If they can succeed in transforming that portion of Western and connecting the surrounding neighborhoods, I think that greatly enhances the appeal of living in the area.

Pete
12-13-2017, 07:23 AM
^

Yeah, not sure why they are being so secretive elusive about their master plan.

Why not put it on their website and on social media?

AP
12-13-2017, 07:37 AM
I'm sure someone here can answer that for them. It's obviously been shared digitally before. It was posted here at one time.

catch22
12-13-2017, 07:38 AM
^

Yeah, not sure why they are being so secretive elusive about their master plan.

Why not put it on their website and on social media?

Absolutely. It would definitely help support the higher prices if you can get people to understand your vision for the area better.

catcherinthewry
12-13-2017, 08:03 AM
It shows Western being lined with commercial and Western Ave completely redone to have roundabouts, bike lanes, and large sidewalks. It also shows how Western will be remade to connect the east and west side of Wheeler. It also shows a connection being created with the neighborhood to the west. If they can succeed in transforming that portion of Western and connecting the surrounding neighborhoods, I think that greatly enhances the appeal of living in the area.

I have a hard time seeing Western being changed. While it would benefit Wheeler greatly, it would be extremely expensive and piss off thousands of commuters. I don't see the city spending millions of dollars for the benefit of a few hundred at the expense of thousands.

HOT ROD
12-16-2017, 08:26 PM
many racists, bigots, facists, homophobes, etc hide behind religion when they do these things and usually get away with it [you know, the thumping holier than thou crowd].

I am relieved that in 2017 this is no longer the case and people with those thoughts are finally being held accountable for THEIR actions; irregardless of their political standing, religious position, or geographic location.

BLJR
12-18-2017, 08:49 AM
Having a discussion at a party this weekend, we were talking about downtown airpark. Humpherys Family bought that land a while back at an auction. I was told that the city retained a few acres to house the OKCPD Helicopter though. Recently though, it was determined that land and hanger (to be demolished), will be donated (or already has been donated) to the Humpherys Family, as they do so much for this city..... Its some decent frontage land that would probably be worth some significant revenue. It just bugs me that we are in such a financial crunch, but can give away some serious land, probably decided over a Saturday morning golf outing...... SMH......

Pete
12-18-2017, 09:03 AM
Having a discussion at a party this weekend, we were talking about downtown airpark. Humpherys Family bought that land a while back at an auction. I was told that the city retained a few acres to house the OKCPD Helicopter though. Recently though, it was determined that land and hanger (to be demolished), will be donated (or already has been donated) to the Humpherys Family, as they do so much for this city..... Its some decent frontage land that would probably be worth some significant revenue. It just bugs me that we are in such a financial crunch, but can give away some serious land, probably decided over a Saturday morning golf outing...... SMH......

All the airport land was purchased by Humphreys in 2006 for $7.2 million.

However, there was some land along the river that was owned by the City and the small parcel currently used for the OCPD as a helicopter hanger. Wheeler has been leasing that land along the river for the Ferris Wheel, etc.

In September, Wheeler and the City agreed to swap the 14.07 acres west of Western (Tract #1) for 32.7 acres as shown in the graphic. Because there was still a discrepancy in the appraised values, Wheeler also paid the City $127,500.

Ultimately, I'm sure Wheeler will look to acquire the City's land on the east side of Western as well (Tract #2) but to date no agreement has been made.

I collected all this info some time ago and spoke to Blair about it, but never got around to posting it... Until now.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler081117a.jpg

Urbanized
12-18-2017, 09:22 AM
Thanks for clarifying, Pete. Weird that this was in announcements and help. Maybe merge with Wheeler so that your response with corrected info appears there..?

jccouger
12-20-2017, 06:45 PM
n/m

TheirTheir
12-21-2017, 10:19 AM
Anyone check the Wheeler FB page recently...
https://www.facebook.com/wheelerdistrict/posts/2181979401815931

jccouger
12-21-2017, 10:34 AM

Yeah, I did yesterday but removed my post. Pretty childish to get in to a online argument with Ed Shadid.

Roger S
12-21-2017, 10:48 AM

Gone forever already.

Rivalyn
12-21-2017, 11:09 AM
Gone forever already.

What was on there that they took the whole page down?

Roger S
12-21-2017, 11:12 AM
What was on there that they took the whole page down?

No... Just that thread. Page is still there.

riflesforwatie
12-21-2017, 11:46 AM
Kirk Humphreys announced he is stepping down from the OU Board of Regents, effective at the start of the spring semester.

Bullbear
12-21-2017, 12:10 PM
Kirk Humphreys announced he is stepping down from the OU Board of Regents, effective at the start of the spring semester.

:yeahthat::Smiley026 I am glad!

jccouger
12-21-2017, 12:32 PM
Here was the dialogue from the FB page.

http://www.okctalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14326&d=1513884773

Anonymous.
12-21-2017, 01:38 PM
I feel like I am out of the loop. What is this drama with Ed and Wheeler?

jerrywall
12-21-2017, 01:50 PM
Ed came out pretty hard swinging against the Wheeler district after Kirk's comments and yesterday called for a full on boycott. I don't know if there is existing animus in play.

TheirTheir
12-21-2017, 02:36 PM
There were quite a few comments from folks who are very displeased with the way Wheeler has been handling issues as of late. It is beyond me how someone thought calling out Ed publicly would be a good idea.

warreng88
12-21-2017, 03:21 PM
Shadid questions Wheeler investment as former mayor apologizes

By: Brian Brus The Journal Record December 19, 2017

OKLAHOMA CITY – City Council member Ed Shadid urged investors Tuesday to boycott Wheeler District development because of former Mayor Kirk Humphreys’ involvement and instead invest elsewhere.

“Hold off for the time being,” Shadid said, reminding council peers that millions of dollars of taxpayer money are at stake. “See what Kirk Humphreys does.”

At about the same time across town, Humphreys was apologizing for what he said on a local television talk show days earlier when he equated homosexuality with pedophilia. Humphreys delivered his speech Tuesday morning in a joint press conference with the Freedom Oklahoma LGBTQ advocacy organization.

The momentum of Humphreys’ actions continued unabated, however. Shortly after the Freedom Oklahoma event, the University of Oklahoma Board of Regents announced a special meeting on Thursday. Freedom Oklahoma Executive Director Troy Stevenson said he believes a succession plan will be discussed concerning Humphreys’ position as vice chairman of the board.

By noon, Humphreys had heard about Shadid’s comments. He told The Journal Record he would hold off on saying anything more until the councilman had a chance to review the Freedom Oklahoma presentation because it might already answer Shadid’s concerns.

“Let me be clear,” Humphreys said in his prepared statement, “I do not think that homosexuality in any way disqualifies a person from full participation as a citizen in our community, including service in public office. At no point in my public or private life have I sought to take any action that precludes or otherwise diminishes the opportunity for every person to be treated as equals.

“I said some things that I deeply regret,” Humphreys said. “I do not think that it is right or appropriate to equate homosexuality with pedophilia. … My greatest regret is that I’ve hurt a lot of people. I know I should always seek to speak the truth in love.”

When asked if Humphreys’ apology was sufficient, Stevenson said he believed the developer’s sincerity, but it’s only the first step in community healing. Humphreys has been invited to a public forum at OU on Jan. 18 to discuss the issue further.

Aside from Humphreys’ social position, millions of dollars are at stake. In January, the City Council approved a $120 million tax increment finance, or TIF, plan that includes the Wheeler District and its iconic Ferris wheel on the Oklahoma River. The full project area runs east of S. Blackwelder Avenue and west of S. Walker Avenue, between the Oklahoma River on the north and Twin Creek on the south.

The district’s course has been set largely by Blair Humphreys at the Humphreys Co. The ex-mayor’s son has a mix of residential and business in mind for the 150 acres, including a neighborhood elementary school. Kirk Humphreys is an investor, but he deferred to his son as head of the project.

Shadid has a history of speaking out against the Humphreys development and Kirk Humphreys in particular. The Wheeler District, he said, is in direct competition with development around the MAPS 3 central park, just north of the river in the Core to Shore area.

“I would ask those who are worried about this situation to consider holding off on investing in the Wheeler District, buying in the Wheeler District,” Shadid said. “We’re making a sizable public investment. … Maybe wait and see what we do with the park; maybe you want to see what we do with the park as opposed to the Wheeler District.

“The larger issue that those who want to curb this kind of behavior should consider is the financial one, the public investment in the Wheeler District,” he said.

Stevenson said Blair Humphreys quickly responded to his father’s offensive comments on the KFOR-TV show Flash Point and reached out to Freedom Oklahoma to help correct the matter.

Blair Humphreys said he stands by his father’s statement Tuesday.

“I believe that my dad’s track record, as well as his sincere apology, demonstrate the quality of the man he is and the way that he desires to treat people,” Blair Humphreys said. “And to create an inclusive community where people are treated with equality requires that we pursue both justice and peace.”

As for Shadid’s comments, the younger Humphreys said, “I hope that he will change his position. Independent of Councilman Shadid’s view, Wheeler District is moving forward, and we’re continuing to pursue a neighborhood that’s defined not by what divides us, but by what unites us.”

When Wheeler was first revealed, Shadid voted for both the project plan and the TIF development assistance agreement.

bradh
12-21-2017, 05:53 PM
I guarantee the Kris that Ed refers to is poster krisb who is the biggest Shadid disciple around.

That said, I shockingly somewhat side with Ed on this.

PhiAlpha
12-21-2017, 10:13 PM
I guarantee the Kris that Ed refers to is poster krisb who is the biggest Shadid disciple around.

I honestly wish Ed and his proxy, Kris, would just go away. Arguing with Kris here during the mayoral campaign was like talking to a wall. Ed makes some good points at times but has proven to be a nut. His ridiculously over the top stance on Wheeler is just more of his typical political crap. He’s historically been pro MAPS and other development projects, like Wheeler, until political motive leads him to flipflop his positions. He’s clearly seizing on a political hot button issue here to score points again. Here’s to him wasting money on another mayoral campaign, losing, and hopefully being run out of his city council seat. I’m obviously not a fan.

LocoAko
12-22-2017, 05:58 AM
nm

AP
12-22-2017, 07:22 AM

It was him. He commented on the facebook thread. Actually, quite a few people commented on that thread, and there was not one positive thing. That's probably what lead to them deleting it.

mkjeeves
12-22-2017, 07:58 AM
I knew Kris when he was in high school with my kiddo but haven't kept up other than seeing him around the net. He's a keeper. More than I can say for some here.

Wheeler will probably survive this PR disaster in spite of Daddy and their own ineptitude at dealing with the aftermath.

PhiAlpha
12-22-2017, 08:59 AM
I knew Kris when he was in high school with my kiddo but haven't kept up other than seeing him around the net. He's a keeper. More than I can say for some here.

Wheeler will probably survive this PR disaster in spite of Daddy and their own ineptitude at dealing with the aftermath.

Definitely agree with that part.

krisb
12-22-2017, 09:21 AM

Thank you for your kind words.

krisb
12-22-2017, 09:32 AM
I honestly wish Ed and his proxy, Kris, would just go away. Arguing with Kris here during the mayoral campaign was like talking to a wall.

I happen to agree with Ed on many issues because we believe that everyone should have a voice in this city and that there are too many back door deals at City Hall. Truth be told, I would love to live in Wheeler if I could afford it. New Urbanist communities are my gold standard for quality of life. Their downside is they trend towards catering to the wealthy and lack ethnic and socioeconomic diversity. I am not alone in calling for Kirk to resign from all of his board positions because of his comments. The tide of public opinion has gone that direction. I would welcome an opportunity to chat with you over coffee as online forums are sometimes like talking to a wall.

AP
12-22-2017, 09:45 AM
Truth be told, I would love to live in Wheeler if I could afford it. New Urbanist communities are my gold standard for quality of life. Their downside is they trend towards catering to the wealthy and lack ethnic and socioeconomic diversity.

+1000

catcherinthewry
12-22-2017, 09:57 AM
I thought they were going to have affordable options.

dankrutka
12-22-2017, 10:18 AM
I thought they were going to have affordable options.

That has been my understanding too. I believe creating racially, culturally, and socioeconomically diverse neighborhoods is one of the most important social issues of our time, particularly because they lead to diverse schools. I thought there was an emphasis on frontloading the more expensive options because it's harder to add those later. As long as they're committed to that plan then I don't see the problem. Am I understanding their plan correctly?

krisb
12-22-2017, 11:22 AM
That is my understanding and I will hold them to it. You can't say something is affordable just because it is 600 square feet and therefore below 200K. I understand the frontloading concept. When it's all said and done, not every home in Wheeler needs the same level of finish. The target demographic of Wheeler is not just yuppies and retirees, but artists, makers, small business owners, and young families who can't afford $200+ psf. If you want THOSE people in the district, affordability is a must.

BoulderSooner
12-22-2017, 11:30 AM
Very unlikely anything under 200 a sqft will ever be built in wheeler or anywhere else downtown

Pete
12-22-2017, 11:34 AM
I believe creating racially, culturally, and socioeconomically diverse neighborhoods is one of the most important social issues of our time

Yes, and the complete lack of this among baby boomers (I'm at the tail end) has led directly to the current culture wars being waged due to an older generation who was almost completely segregated from any diversity at all, and thus terrified of it.

I graduated from Putnam City High School in 1978 and out of 3,200 kids in 3 grades, we had maybe 5 African Americans and virtually no Latinos or Asian students. We didn't have a black athlete letter in sports until 1977. Think about that! This at the largest public school in the state. Same way at most the Tulsa and OKC suburban schools until sometime in the 80's. Therefore, everyone raised here until that time had only exposure to people who were almost completely homogeneous.

It took moving to Los Angeles to finally interact and therefore understand people of different cultures and it completely changed my perspective on almost everything.

And of course, OKC and Tulsa are still largely quite segregated, especially when it comes to socio-economics. Much more so than most larger cities.

SouthSide
12-22-2017, 12:07 PM
I don't understand the emphasis that this particular development has to be a utopia of culturally and economic diversity.

krisb
12-22-2017, 02:10 PM
I don't understand the emphasis that this particular development has to be a utopia of culturally and economic diversity.

Only to the extent that calling a place "urban" requires such diversity and only because the developers themselves said it would be so. I think market forces (ignoring the huge TIF subsidy) will ultimately determine the profile of the neighborhood.

TheTravellers
12-22-2017, 03:39 PM

“I said some things that I deeply regret,” Humphreys said. “I do not think that it is right or appropriate to equate homosexuality with pedophilia. … My greatest regret is that I’ve hurt a lot of people. I know I should always seek to speak the truth in love.”

Sorry, not on-topic, but had to say something. If you "do not think that it is right or appropriate to equate homosexuality with pedophilia.", then why the hell did you go on TV and do it? I can almost ga-ron-tee that he's only apologizing because he got busted, not because he truly feels sorry for what he said.

riflesforwatie
12-22-2017, 04:01 PM
Very unlikely anything under 200 a sqft will ever be built in wheeler or anywhere else downtown

Probably true.

OKC isn't San Francisco or New York.

Central OKC will continue to have some expensive bare dirt.

riflesforwatie
12-22-2017, 04:01 PM
Sorry, not on-topic, but had to say something. If you "do not think that it is right or appropriate to equate homosexuality with pedophilia.", then why the hell did you go on TV and do it? I can almost ga-ron-tee that he's only apologizing because he got busted, not because he truly feels sorry for what he said.

I absolutely agree, which is why it's important he resigned from the OU Regents.

dankrutka
12-22-2017, 09:50 PM

It should be for any neighborhood, but not necessarily every development. Wheeler is building an entire neighborhood from scratch in an area that is diverse already. To build a homogeneous, wealthy, and exclusive neighborhood from scrap in a diverse community would be a total failure. Besides, the developers have already made commitments towards SES and linguistic diversity from my recollections. So, those are the reasons this neighborhood development is held to a higher standard.

dcsooner
12-23-2017, 04:07 AM
Yes, and the complete lack of this among baby boomers (I'm at the tail end) has led directly to the current culture wars being waged due to an older generation who was almost completely segregated from any diversity at all, and thus terrified of it.

I graduated from Putnam City High School in 1978 and out of 3,200 kids in 3 grades, we had maybe 5 African Americans and virtually no Latinos or Asian students. We didn't have a black athlete letter in sports until 1977. Think about that! This at the largest public school in the state. Same way at most the Tulsa and OKC suburban schools until sometime in the 80's. Therefore, everyone raised here until that time had only exposure to people who were almost completely homogeneous.

It took moving to Los Angeles to finally interact and therefore understand people of different cultures and it completely changed my perspective on almost everything.

And of course, OKC and Tulsa are still largely quite segregated, especially when it comes to socio-economics. Much more so than most larger cities.

+1

Teo9969
12-23-2017, 10:04 AM

Get it while it's hot:

mugofbeer
12-23-2017, 12:10 PM

Nor should there be. That size of a dwelling is the same as a good sized bedroom. It would quickly become a run down piece of property.

mugofbeer
12-23-2017, 12:36 PM

I am the same age as you. I went to OKC Public schools and have started into a forced integration situation once in Jr. High. You're observation of Baby Boomers, in my opinion, is one-generation off. Its their parents who had the issues. The problem I see across the country is partially one of generation, but more one of a widely accepted religious faith that preaches some of these thoughts and ideas that are becoming unacceptable. On the other hand, many of you who are younger need to be a little more understanding of what Pete is saying, times are different than what they were 50 years ago. Beliefs preached to you for 50 years or longer are hard to just up and change. Millennials weren't around then, so they would not understand what it was like. My family came here from Georgia 100+ years ago and I had a racist grandfather. I don't cast his memory to hell because of it, that is simply how he was raised through all parts of his life - l understand why he was that way. I think people need to be a little more tolerant and work with those who have outmoded beliefs with calm talk and reason rather than virtually throwing them all to the wolves. You live long enough, you will all get a skeleton or two in your closets

dankrutka
12-23-2017, 03:45 PM
^^^
I don’t agree there’s a need to be tolerant of any bigoted views, but I agree in general with the sentiment that we should not just dismiss elders or other people completely. Everyone is complex. I loved my grandmother and she listened to conservative radio and repeated a number of anti-immigrant views in particular. I didn’t accept those views and challenged her, but I did so with kindness. Eventually, she either changed her beliefs or distanced herself from those divisive views. Our relationship was stronger because of it. I also gained a lot of wisdom from her. So, I agree, it’s generally not helpful to see the world or other people as simply good or bad, right or wrong. But this is also easy for me to say because none of this bigotry or discrimination affects me personally. For people who face oppression, I understand their responses may very well be to dismiss those people. I don’t know.

bradh
12-23-2017, 04:39 PM
To get back on topic about the development, it's said they have to do the more expensive development first to get everything to work. Why would someone who is going to pay top dollar, all of a sudden 5 years from now not throw a giant hissy fit when "affordable housing" gets ramped up just down the street? Have we not learned anything from previous development? Where has anyone seen people in desirable appreciating real estate been cool with much cheaper property being built near them? Could they have built the more reasonable housing first here targeting maybe single professionals or young couples with emerging incomes, and let the growth into more expensive property happen naturally?

Sorry that's a bit of a rant, but I can tell you if Bob and Sally Boomer are the ones buying in first, you can bet your ass when the "affordable" housing gets planned they'll be bitching and moaning at the hilltops.

Urbanized
12-24-2017, 08:50 AM
^^^^^^^^^
They are buying into a development with a clearly-stated goal of mixed incomes and a variety of housing options including freestanding homes with yards, row houses, tiny homes, and multi-family. They are also buying into a neighborhood with a stated goal of a dual immersion school and planned, full-on interaction with a very low-income neighborhood to the west. If they have a problem with this approach, they can’t say that they weren’t warned.

Also, people hopefully aren’t confusing “mixed income” with “low income.” Everything will be market rate, which is simply higher in the center city for new construction. And hopefully they’re not thinking that they should be able to buy a 3 BR house with a yard for anywhere near what you might pay for a tract home in an exurban development that was a farmer’s field a year or two ago. Without question they will be paying a premium for location and neighborhood amenities.

Will young couples just starting out be able to afford to live there as more diverse housing product comes online in future phases? Yes. Will they be able to afford the same size home they could get in Deer Creek or Moore? No.

But anyone looking for an elitist enclave where there aren’t smaller homes, town houses, apartments and the like, or who don’t want to live near low income neighbors - hundreds of Section 8 units and really modest housing are just a stone’s throw away and their residents are being actively welcomed to interact with the new district - should not consider Wheeler, frankly. And they will not be allowed to NIMBY efforts to build smaller and/or more dense product in future phases. That said, the strategy to not LEAD with multi family or less expensive options is 100% solid and correct.

mkjeeves
12-24-2017, 09:55 AM

Depends on several factors. I am and was a middle class boomer. Lived and went to school in OKC (Taft), rural Arkansas, rural Oklahoma, Albuquerque, South and North Alabama 60's through mid '70s. OKC, Oklahoma, Arkansas were pretty white as I look back, even though we were part of the early busing in OKC. Albuquerque and the South not so much. That said, reoccuring black/white race riots during high school in the south were a thing.

ABCOKC
12-24-2017, 01:30 PM

This is simply not true.

OKC ranks 142nd out of 318 American cities according to the dissimilarity index. (http://www.censusscope.org/us/print_rank_dissimilarity_white_black.html)

Data from the University of Michigan identify OKC as the 67th most segregated metropolitan area out of 102 with more than half a million residents. (http://www.censusscope.org/2010Census/FREY2010BLK100MetroSeg.xls)

In terms of socioeconomics, OKC is the 19th most segregated of America's major cities, behind New York, Dallas, LA, SF, Kansas City, St Louis, Indianapolis, Nashville, Louisville, and others. We are roughly tied with Chicago in that regard. (http://time.com/4744296/economic-segregation-cities-america/)

Since your claim isn't founded on actual evidence, I can only assume it's based on your own political views and biases.

dankrutka
12-24-2017, 01:54 PM
There are numerous ways to calculate segregation and since segregation is a vast problem in the U.S., being around the middle does NOT indicate segregation is not a problem. I won’t try to speak as to where OKC ranks in relation to other states, but I know enough about segregation across and within schools in the metro to know it’s a problem regardless of where OKC sits in relation to others. For example, the segregation of Hispanic students is getting worse: http://m.newsok.com/article/5518612

From the article:
“Hispanic students in Oklahoma City Public Schools are segregated at the same rate black students were before a court- ordered desegregation plan that bused black students to white schools.

In 1970, a year before busing began, 71 percent of black students in the district attended a school with black enrollment of 70 percent or higher. Last year, 71 percent of Hispanic students in Oklahoma City Public Schools attended a school with Hispanic enrollment of 70 percent or higher, according to The Oklahoman's analysis of data provided by the district.”

That only 15% of OKCPS students are white suggests widespread white flight that has resulted in intense segregation.

I recommend reading the whole thing. Ben Felder is an excellent education reporter.

Anyway, this is a complex discussion, but trying to completely dismiss Pete’s explanation as unsupported partisan bias revealed a lot more about your bias than his.

Bellaboo
12-25-2017, 02:28 PM
We've already been through this, but as far as diversity, OKC is WAY more diverse than Seattle.

OhKChilders
12-26-2017, 10:06 AM
We've already been through this, but as far as diversity, OKC is WAY more diverse than Seattle.

I agree that Oklahoma City is diverse. However, there isn't much interaction between the diverse groups. At least not to the extent that I noticed when I visited DC this past summer. When I visit places such as Jones Assembly, Bleu Garten, and various establishments in the Midtown or Uptown areas there's still a lack diversity.

dankrutka
12-26-2017, 01:33 PM
I agree that Oklahoma City is diverse. However, there isn't much interaction between the diverse groups. At least not to the extent that I noticed when I visited DC this past summer. When I visit places such as Jones Assembly, Bleu Garten, and various establishments in the Midtown or Uptown areas there's still a lack diversity.

I generally agree. I always love going to the Pump because there seems to be a nice crossection of people, not just based on SES or class, but in style and subgroups too.

Rover
12-26-2017, 05:42 PM
Are people turned away, or just don’t feel comfortable at these places you’ve noted? Or, are they not going because they can’t afford it? Why do you think you don’t see the diversity as you claim?

dankrutka
12-26-2017, 08:45 PM
Are people turned away, or just don’t feel comfortable at these places you’ve noted? Or, are they not going because they can’t afford it? Why do you think you don’t see the diversity as you claim?

These are all good questions, but I look at it like walkability. It doesn’t matter whether you have good sidewalks if no one uses them. Therefore, you should look at what encourages walkability -walks that are useful, safe, comfortable, and interesting. Similarly, when there’s a lack of diversity, I like for cities, districts, and businesses to ask, what would encourage inclusion?