View Full Version : Okc Grass Roots Retail Recruitment.

Pages : [1] 2

okclee
05-24-2010, 01:37 PM
I think it would be a good idea to start an Okc grass roots email campaign to bring more retail to Okc, primarily downtown areas (including Bricktown, Central Business district, Auto Alley, Midtown)

Last week many of us were emailing REI and also posting the different response letters received. Since then I have been hearing Okc radio REI commercials, coincidence? maybe.

We should post the targeted retail company along with contact information and the suggested targeted area. Then compare the replying emails or responses, much like many have done before.

Anytime you have a suggestion for a company to locate in Okc, post the company name with a direct link for contact information. This way we can all get involved in the grass roots process instead of just wishing and whining.

Do not post a company unless you have already made the intial contact with them. This is just not another wish list for Okc but rather an actual small effort to do something about it.

Our efforts may or may not help, but I like to think it will, and it will be fun to compare and analyze response emails.

okclee
05-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Here I will start,

Real Estate Inquiries | Walgreens (http://www.walgreens.com/topic/help/companyhelp/real_estate.jsp)

I sent an email for Walgreens to look into Downtown / Midtown locations. I do know they have a pharmacy inside St. Anthony's in Midtown but I asked that they consider locating to a full service location.

I will post the reply email once I receive it. I urge any of you that would like to see Walgreens in downtown to email them as well. The more emails the better.

realestate.inquiries@walgreens.com.

sroberts24
05-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Here I will start,

Real Estate Inquiries | Walgreens (http://www.walgreens.com/topic/help/companyhelp/real_estate.jsp)

I sent an email for Walgreens to look into Downtown / Midtown locations. I do know they have a pharmacy inside St. Anthony's in Midtown but I asked that they consider locating to a full service location.

I will post the reply email once I receive it. I urge any of you that would like to see Walgreens in downtown to email them as well. The more emails the better.

realestate.inquiries@walgreens.com.

I just sent an mail as well

betts
05-24-2010, 02:01 PM
I've e-mailed both Walgreens and CVS. I got a very nice reply with an explanation of what their requirements for population are, etc, and I remember not being sure we would qualify. I do, however, remember that pre-bust there was some talk of possibly a Walgreens or CVS building a store on Walnut, but don't know how close to being a reality it was.

metro
05-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Walgreens actually has 2 inside St. Anthony's. Some sort of video rental place downtown would be nice, heck, I'd settle for a RedBox so I don't have to drive to 23rd and Classen. I guess they think the 2 DT McDonalds would get vandalized?

Other retailers to do an email blitz:

IKEA
H&M
World Market
LUSH
Urban Outfitters
Kenneth Cole (would do nicely in Penn Sq.)
Armani Exchange

kevinpate
05-24-2010, 05:50 PM
I've e-mailed both Walgreens and CVS. ...

Pick either one. lobby the beejeebees outta that one. Soon as it decides to come, the other will follow.
:tiphat:

okclee
05-24-2010, 06:11 PM
I think out best shot is Walgreens. Their website states they are aggessively expanding too.

Spartan
05-24-2010, 06:11 PM
Hey Lee, this is a good idea in all honesty. Would you like to be the chairman of our efforts? If we organize we can get media attention from Steve Lackmeyer and the Gazette.

I think we should also have a component where we focus on attempting to recruit existing local retailers to actually MOVE downtown from the suburbs. Like Full Circle. How awesome would Full Circle be in say..the Packard Building. I can envision them rocking that block.

redrunner
05-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Walgreens actually has 2 inside St. Anthony's. Some sort of video rental place downtown would be nice, heck, I'd settle for a RedBox so I don't have to drive to 23rd and Classen. I guess they think the 2 DT McDonalds would get vandalized?

IKEA
H&M
World Market
LUSH
Urban Outfitters
Armani Exchange

I was about to say those are the most metrosexual clothing retailers you can think of, and then I looked at your user name, Metro... Coincidence?

soonerliberal
05-24-2010, 08:26 PM
How about a Crate and Barrel or Restoration Hardware?

Midtowner
05-24-2010, 08:33 PM

IKEA
H&M
World Market
LUSH
Urban Outfitters
Armani Exchange

You forgot Brooks Brothers.

Midtowner
05-24-2010, 08:33 PM
I was about to say those are the most metrosexual clothing retailers you can think of, and then I looked at your user name, Metro... Coincidence?

We need stores which sell more than jorts and OU/OSU jerseys. Sorry.

fuzzytoad
05-24-2010, 08:39 PM
so much for supporting local retailers

redrunner
05-24-2010, 08:42 PM
What are you apologizing for? I was thinking more in the direction of Ralph Lauren, Lacoste, or Brooks Bros. I'm not a native Okie, sorry.

Midtowner
05-24-2010, 08:43 PM
As far as Brooks Bros. goes, I can and will live without. I'm very happy with Tom James clothiers. They come to my office and can get me a custom (that means tailored) suit, shirt and tie for just $599 right now. Their stuff is excellent quality.

I do like Brooks Brothers' casual wear and oxford style shirts though.

Midtowner
05-24-2010, 08:46 PM
What are you apologizing for? I was thinking more in the direction of Ralph Lauren, Lacoste, or Brooks Bros. I'm not a native Okie, sorry.

I'm definitely on board with that. I'd never darken the door of a single one of those stores Metro mentioned. My tastes are apparently a lot more conservative than his.

But it wouldn't have a few retailers out there to cater to the Apple computer owning/Prius driving, granola crowd.

soonerguru
05-24-2010, 10:09 PM
I love Kenneth Cole's clothing.

Spartan
05-24-2010, 10:14 PM
They come to my office and can get me a custom (that means tailored) suit, shirt and tie for just $599 right now. Their stuff is excellent quality.

Mr. Ooley's is locally-owned, unlike Tom James, and tailors on the spot..

betts
05-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Free People, American Apparel. AA likes funkier, smaller neighborhoods. They've got one in Little Five in Atlanta. Film Row would have been a great place for a small retail area for clothing, but it takes a lot of vision to pull something like that off. Maybe the second wave of businesses there.....

Spartan
05-24-2010, 10:20 PM
NW 9th would be perfect for an American Apparel if they ever developed Christmas tree lot.

lasomeday
05-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Maybe good for the Plaza District.

metro
05-25-2010, 07:36 AM
Mid/redrunner, Brooks Brothers isn't realistic for this market, yes we could support one, but I'm pretty sure they've been harsh vocally on this market. The other retailers are more likely to expand here, that's why I mentioned them. I'd love to have BB and Ralph Lauren here, but I see it as a farther stretch than some that we could petition and have a shot at.

As far as American Apparel, I never got that trend, it's overpriced solid color tshirts basically.

onthestrip
05-25-2010, 08:30 AM
Or maybe try to contact ones that would maybe come. As mentioned above, restoration hardware, crate & barrel, anthropologie, or even a levis store or a north face store. I think y'all are wasting time contacting H&M, Brooks brothers, ikea. And tryng to get one downtown is even more of a waste of time. The retailers mentioned in this thread wont be locating downtown, it would be somewhere else. Significant downtown retail is probably a decade away.

metro
05-25-2010, 09:07 AM
I don't think IKEA is unrealistic, I thought they already admitted we are on the 4 year list or something like that.

onthestrip
05-25-2010, 09:13 AM
I suppose we would be on their 4 year list if in 4 years 500,000 more people move to OKC. It was relayed by a speaker at the recent ULI luncheon that we are about 500,000 residents shy of what they prefer. I think it was metros of 2mil+ in population that they require. So I'll go ahead and predict (state the obvious) that Ikea will not be here in next 6-7 years.

metro
05-25-2010, 09:19 AM
Here is the link to request an REI catalog, can't hurt for a bunch of us to blast their request list.

https://www.rei.com/catalogsignup

Spartan
05-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Mid/redrunner, Brooks Brothers isn't realistic for this market, yes we could support one, but I'm pretty sure they've been harsh vocally on this market. The other retailers are more likely to expand here, that's why I mentioned them. I'd love to have BB and Ralph Lauren here, but I see it as a farther stretch than some that we could petition and have a shot at.

As far as American Apparel, I never got that trend, it's overpriced solid color tshirts basically.

What has Brooks Brothers said about OKC?

onthestrip
05-25-2010, 11:06 AM
What has Brooks Brothers said about OKC?

They said they are trying to upgrade their image and want to locate with other upscale retailers such as Burberry, Louis Vuitton, etc.

okclee
05-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Hey Lee, this is a good idea in all honesty. Would you like to be the chairman of our efforts? If we organize we can get media attention from Steve Lackmeyer and the Gazette.

I think we should also have a component where we focus on attempting to recruit existing local retailers to actually MOVE downtown from the suburbs. Like Full Circle. How awesome would Full Circle be in say..the Packard Building. I can envision them rocking that block.

Let me think about being the chairman, let's see how many actually participate on Okctalk first.

For now I plan on posting a new potential retail target every few days or so. A request for a downtown full-service Walgreens is my first email I have sent out. I hope that others will follow along and send the email requests too. If you have sent one in previous months or years, please send another. This way there should be a group of us sending out requests in a close proximety time frame.

Remember this is not a wish we had _"name your store"_ in Okc thread. There are plenty of those on Okctalk already.

This will be about actual contact information, copy and paste email links and the reply you receive.

okclee
05-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Here is the reply I received from Walgreens. Purely a standard reply. I will do a follow up at a later date if I do not hear back from an individual. I would like to point out some actual addresses for them to consider in downtown areas. Many of you may know of a location that would have the space for this type of store. I am thinking somewhere near 10th and Broadway.

Thank you for your interest in Walgreens.

I have forwarded your e-mail to the individual who reviews potential
Walgreens locations in your area of the country. If there is any
interest, we will contact you.

Again, thank you for considering Walgreens.

Walgreens Real Estate

Midtowner
05-25-2010, 02:28 PM
I know that the Chamber closely monitors this board -- if anyone from the Chamber wants to chime in with their expertise, I think it'd be welcome.

z28james
05-25-2010, 03:39 PM
I emailed REI a few months a ago. I love that store. I told them it was a good area for a sports store and that since Oklahoma is one of the most diverse state geographically, their diverse sports products would be a good fit. They replied and said they had no idea about OK being so diverse, never thought about OKC really and would take a look, but since it is a co-op they say new store will be slow to come anywhere at this time.

okclee
06-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Today's targeted retail store for me is......

retail target = Trader Joe's grocery
potential location = Midtown Okc

Trader Joe's (http://www.traderjoes.com/about/location-requests-form.asp)

Let's all send them an email and let them know about America's best kept secret city, Okc. Mention Midtown Okc as a location for them to consider looking at.

I will update once I receive some type of response.

Spartan
06-01-2010, 07:36 PM
I remember emailing them on that page a few years ago. Sent another in just now.

scootinger
06-01-2010, 09:43 PM
I can understand trying to recruit good retail chains to Oklahoma City, and I'm all for it mostly. But are we seriously that desperate as to be begging for a *WALGREENS* downtown? Surely we can find a local retailer that could fill that gap...or at least a chain that cares more about the character of our community, especially in an area like Downtown.

Anyone remember a few years back when Walgreens wanted to demolish the Gold Dome in order to build a store? Walgreens/CVS/etc do not really care about their communities or fitting in with the architectural character of an area. All they do is build generic cookie-cutter store buildings, which will most likely be abandoned within 15-20 years as they continue to build new stores in more profitable locations. Is that what we want for downtown?

Spartan
06-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Fortunately Walgreen's doesn't carry the sway in this town that the name SandRidge does, so I don't think Walgreen's will be doing whatever they want against the community's wishes.

I also believe Walgreen's would be a huge step for downtown retail. The sort of basics that help build a foundation for more interesting things.

ljbab728
06-01-2010, 11:42 PM
I can understand trying to recruit good retail chains to Oklahoma City, and I'm all for it mostly. But are we seriously that desperate as to be begging for a *WALGREENS* downtown? Surely we can find a local retailer that could fill that gap...or at least a chain that cares more about the character of our community, especially in an area like Downtown.

Anyone remember a few years back when Walgreens wanted to demolish the Gold Dome in order to build a store? Walgreens/CVS/etc do not really care about their communities or fitting in with the architectural character of an area. All they do is build generic cookie-cutter store buildings, which will most likely be abandoned within 15-20 years as they continue to build new stores in more profitable locations. Is that what we want for downtown?

I'm not a Walgreens advocate but anyone hoping to locate that type of business in the downtown area would have to be capable of absorbing losses for a few years until the business develops. I'm not sure a local business could do that.

kevinpate
06-02-2010, 08:09 AM
Just curious. Was it Wal-Greens that wanted to thrash the Gold Dome spot, or was it a property developer who wanted to thrash it so he could clear the spot and bring in a Wal-Greens, or something else if WG dinna come?

Either way, happy it dinna happen.

metro
06-02-2010, 08:19 AM

Actually it was more the DEVELOPER wanting to tear down the Gold Dome, not so much Walgreens. Read the article about Calhoun (the developer), there is a recent thread where we're actually talking about it and it has his quotes from an article written several years ago.

Larry OKC
06-02-2010, 05:56 PM
It is because of the dirty deal he pulled over at 23rd & Meridian, that to this day I have not set foot in that Walgreens

bluedogok
06-02-2010, 06:47 PM
It was the developer pushing that site to Walgreen's in spite of concerns from us (the design team), Walgreen's property group and Bank One.

Walgreen's will do "urban" stores if the demographics support building one. They of course have them in the more traditional large cities like Chicago (they are based in a Chicago suburb) and NYC but they also have some in cities outside those large cities. There was one right by our hotel in Downtown Denver along with a CVS and Rite-Aid stores, we have a CVS here in Downtown Austin that has been there a long time. All of those locations are tenant finish outs of lease space and not typical standalone stores.

okclee
06-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Today's targeted retail store for me is......

retail target = Trader Joe's grocery
potential location = Midtown Okc

Trader Joe's (http://www.traderjoes.com/about/location-requests-form.asp)

Let's all send them an email and let them know about America's best kept secret city, Okc. Mention Midtown Okc as a location for them to consider looking at.

I will update once I receive some type of response.

Response email.

Aloha and thank you for your interest in our stores. Emails have been flooding in with suggestions for new store locations in neighborhoods all over the U.S. We love that!

Rest assured, every email is read and your recommendation will be passed along to our real estate folks.

The best place to find new info concerning which neighborhoods we’ll be in next is the Trader Joe’s Locations page at http://www.traderjoes.com/static/find_a_tjs.asp

We hope to see you soon!

Mahalo (thanks)

Another generic, thanks but no thanks, reply.

lasomeday
06-03-2010, 05:31 PM
I got the exact same response from Trader Joes.

What business are we targeting this week/day?

SkyWestOKC
06-03-2010, 06:04 PM
I also got the same response.

lasomeday
06-03-2010, 06:27 PM
I think we should target Costco. I haven't found who to email or send letters to, but I am looking.

Please post if you see a place to send letters/emails.

They have two locations in KS, 17 in TX, and even some in AL. We need at least one!

okclee
06-03-2010, 06:34 PM
I got the exact same response from Trader Joes.

What business are we targeting this week/day?

So far the past two weeks, I have emailed Walgreens, REI, In&Out Burgers and Trader Joes.

lasomeday
06-03-2010, 06:55 PM
How about we email Landrys about getting one of their Ocean's Journey Aquariums downtown or by the river!

Downtown Aquarium - Houston (http://www.aquariumrestaurants.com/downtownaquariumhouston/flash_content/index.html)

I have emailed REI and Trader Joes this week.

Larry OKC
06-04-2010, 12:37 AM
is this the same Landrys that have the seafood places? LOL Reminds me of being able to get a fish sandwich at Sea World...seemed sort of odd somehow

Spartan
06-04-2010, 09:13 AM
I don't see the Houston restaurant groups expanding to OKC (Pappa's, Landry's, others).

progressiveboy
06-04-2010, 09:25 AM
I don't see the Houston restaurant groups expanding to OKC (Pappa's, Landry's, others). Why do you not see them expanding in OKC? Do you work for them? Do you have inside information? Did they publish something stating they would not locate in OKC? Your perception is based on feeling/emotion because you state, I don't see them expanding to OKC? I am questioning your statement Spartan? What is your rebuttal?

metro
06-04-2010, 09:41 AM
I don't see the Houston restaurant groups expanding to OKC (Pappa's, Landry's, others).

FYI Landry's, the Landry's (seafood) concept used to be in OKC with a couple locations, that's what Joe's Crab Shack was before it was JCS. They also have their Saltgrass Steak House concept in Norman currently.

OKC@heart
06-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Fortunately Walgreen's doesn't carry the sway in this town that the name SandRidge does, so I don't think Walgreen's will be doing whatever they want against the community's wishes.

I also believe Walgreen's would be a huge step for downtown retail. The sort of basics that help build a foundation for more interesting things.

Yeah there needs to be the services in Downtown that will more easily support the residents there to truly make it liveable. Need a grocer, phamacy etc, that support those who live there.

There is no question that it can be less than stellar finacially while the residents increase in number, but it has to be a longterm commitment, and gives the company marketshare to those residents.

There are a couple of good examples in Dallas.

http://www.cpc-contracting.net/gallery1/cvs.jpg

There is also another one even more urban in the CBD.

Additionally there is a great 7-11 in the CBD that meets needs of downtown residents.

It is these type of basic stores that will likely pave the way for more substantial down town residents and improve the ease of living there.

Spartan
06-04-2010, 01:29 PM
FYI Landry's, the Landry's (seafood) concept used to be in OKC with a couple locations, that's what Joe's Crab Shack was before it was JCS. They also have their Saltgrass Steak House concept in Norman currently.

Guess I eat my own words on that one.

remy11
06-04-2010, 02:10 PM
We need an Urban Outfitters here. I usually stay pretty quite on here but I feel like it would do very well here. Currently, all we have to compete is Blue7 and I'm not usually real thrilled with their selection.

okclee
06-04-2010, 03:21 PM
We need an Urban Outfitters here. I usually stay pretty quite on here but I feel like it would do very well here. Currently, all we have to compete is Blue7 and I'm not usually real thrilled with their selection.

Thanks for joining in, send them an email requesting Okc as a store location. After you send the email add the email address in this discussion for others to email them too.

Again this is more than a "wish list store thread". Send the email, copy and paste the link and I will send an email too.

bluedogok
06-04-2010, 08:11 PM

Guess I eat my own words on that one.
They have many different concepts and businesses. One is the Kemah Boardwalk on Clear Lake and the San Luis Resort in Galveston. We usually go to the Chart House on the Kemah Boardwalk when we are in the Houston/Galveston and we typically stay at the San Luis Resort.

Joe's Crab Shack was a Landry's developed concept but was sold in 2006 so it is no longer in the Landry's group.

Here are the restaurant concepts:
Aquarium/Downtown Aquarium Restaurants (http://www.aquariumrestaurants.com/)
Babin's Seafood House (http://www.babinsseafood.com/)
Big Fish Seafood Bistro (http://www.landrysrestaurants.com/pages/restaurants/pg_rest_bigfish.htm)
Cadillac Bar (Mexican) (http://www.cadillacbar.com/)
Charley's Crab (http://www.landrysrestaurants.com/pages/restaurants/pg_rest_charleys.htm)
Chart House (http://www.chart-house.com/)
The Crab House (http://www.crabhouseseafood.com/)
Fish Tales (http://www.landrysrestaurants.com/pages/restaurants/pg_rest_fishtales.htm)
Fisherman's Wharf (http://www.landrysrestaurants.com/pages/restaurants/pg_rest_wharf.htm)
The Flying Dutchman (http://www.landrysrestaurants.com/pages/restaurants/pg_rest_dutchman.htm)
Grotto (http://www.grottohouston.com/)
Harlow's (http://www.harlowsrestaurants.com/)
Kemah Boardwalk (http://www.kemahboardwalk.com/)
La Griglia (http://www.lagrigliarestaurant.com/)
Landry's Seafood House (http://www.landrysseafoodhouse.com/)
Lighthouse Buffet (http://www.landrysrestaurants.com/pages/restaurants/pg_rest_lighthouse.htm)
Muer Seafood Restaurants (http://www.muer.com/)
Peohe's (http://www.peohes.com/)
Pesce (http://www.pescehouston.com/)
Rainforest Cafe (http://www.rainforestcafe.com/)
Red Sushi (http://www.landrysrestaurants.com/pages/restaurants/pg_rest_redSushi.htm)
Saltgrass Steak House (http://www.saltgrass.com/)
Simms Steakhouse (http://www.simmssteakhouse.com/)
T-REX Cafe (http://www.trexcafe.com/)
Tower of the Americas (http://www.toweroftheamericas.com/)
Vic & Anthony's Steakhouse (http://www.vicandanthonys.com/flash_content/index.html)
Willie G's Seafood & Steaks (http://www.williegs.com/)
Yak and Yeti (http://www.landrysrestaurants.com/pages/restaurants/pg_rest_yakYeti.htm)
The Rusty Duck (http://www.landrysrestaurants.com/pages/restaurants/pg_rest_rusty.htm)

As far as the Pappas restaurants, they pretty much suck outside of the Houston market. Even the Houstonians pretty much agree with that statement. I have been disappointed in the ones here.

Spartan
06-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Yeah I tend to think any restaurant in Dallas sucks, and that's probably the point Houstonians all agree with LOL. I have a bad habit of judging restaurants and a city's dining scene based on Houston standards, which is never a good thing to do.

The Saltgrass Steakhouse in Norman is terrible. I did not realize Vic and Anthony's was a Landry's concept. I have so much more respect for the Landry's people now. That place is awesome...great place to grab dinner after a ballgame at Minute Maid Park.

Fish Tales on Seawall Blvd is an awesome inexpensive restaurant. Always go there in Galveston...speaking of which, last time I was there during Spring Break the San Luis Resort that they also run was still literally in shambles from Ike. Very sad sight.

bluedogok
06-04-2010, 11:01 PM
I had never been before Ike, so I don't know what Galveston was like before but we have been down there about 6 times since. This past spring break we stayed at the Hilton at the San Luis Resort, took my sister and nephew down there. It is not as nice as the SLR proper but the resort area was in good shape even in February 2009 not too long after Ike. The whole of Galveston was not as bad as I expected but then I guess Bolivar Island took the brunt of the storm. They are also planning to restore The Flagship Hotel and Pleasure Pier (http://www.galvnews.com/story/146386).

It looks like Tilman Fertitta has been successful in buying back Landry's for 1.4 billion to take it private.

Spartan
06-04-2010, 11:20 PM
That didn't seem like a good deal for him in the first place, and now I'm sure he's lost a lot having to buy it back..oh well.

That's good that they're going to start soon on repairing the Flagship Hotel. Wasn't ever a "really nice" hotel but it was cool.

Larry OKC
06-04-2010, 11:29 PM
The Landrys I recall was up on Memorial (building is still there but different paint scheme...think it is an Oriental place now but could be mistaken). Not aware of any other locations but I am not a big seafood person either.

The Joes Crab Shacks were built as those, think there was a Black Eyed Pea at both locations but were bulldozed and JCS built on the lot (I-240 and the NW Expressway ones) if there are others in the Metro area, can't speak to them.

On edit: the one on NW Expressway may have been an entirely new build as the Black Eyed Pea was further up (somewhere near one of the Hibdon's)