View Full Version : OKC in the year 2014

ourulz2000
05-21-2010, 10:22 AM
In just four short years OKC will be changed forever. List of projects completed:

Devon Tower/adjacent structures
Myriad Gardens makeover
Ford Center makeover
American Indian Museum
Oklahoma River structures/enhancements
The new I-40

What else?

sroberts24
05-21-2010, 10:30 AM
I thought they were supposed to be workin on the Ford Center grand entrance right now!

Mr. T in OKC
05-21-2010, 10:45 AM
The grand entrance won't be completed until spring of 2011. Work is planned to start in September.
http://secure.oklahoman.net/myaccount/tearsheet_pdf.asp?tearid=2180398

Kerry
05-21-2010, 10:51 AM
In just four short years OKC will be changed forever. List of projects completed:

Devon Tower/adjacent structures
Myriad Gardens makeover
Ford Center makeover
American Indian Museum
Oklahoma River structures/enhancements
The new I-40

What else?

Sandridge Plaza.

Spartan
05-21-2010, 11:06 AM
I was about to say...

Every single historic building will have been demolished or altered by then. We'll have twice as many corporate plazas and surface parking lots. We'll have a Walmart to go with the Bass Pro. We'll have Motel 6 and Red Roof Inn to go with the Residence Inn and Bricktown will be renamed the Green Roof District, akin to the Blue Dome District in Tulsa, but not urban. OKC's planning establishment will no longer just be the laughing stock of downtown, but it will be a joke all across the country. Once SandRidge goes bankrupt the weeds in SandRidge Plaza will be so high that they are actually taller than the Pietro Belluschi tower itself..it will be SandRidge's only contribution to downtown density and the skyline, in the end. We will be breaking ground on a core to shore convention center adjacent to the park, much to the chagrin of developers who would have liked to put development on that land instead, and we will still have not broken ground on a downtown streetcar system because, as a city that is not serious about planning or transit, it has been moved to the very back of the list. We will be working on extending the outer loop all the way around the city and suburban home starts will outnumber downtown homes starts by a margin of 50 to 1. REALLY though, the only new development will be that of a $400 million county jail which will have just as many problems as the old, revealing the simple truth that the county govt (which needs to be eradicated) is the problem, not a facility. Will Rogers World Airport will be loosing several flights a year due to the lower demand for air travel and higher demand for rail travel..which will truly suck for OKC because a high speed rail corridor will never come to Oklahoma despite being recommended by the Feds and due to WRWA's non-hub status, it will hemorrhage flights because the argument that people need SOME way to get to OKC won't hold up in airline negotiations. With Interstate highway or Heartland Flyer by way of Dallas being one of the only ways to get to OKC, commerce will dry up and all of the progress economically made by the MAPS legacy will be reversed and OKC will truly become the next Detroit..or Dodge City is a closer analogy I think, because Detroit is a real city. And one last thing: We will continue electing the most backward and conservative politicians in the nation, so we will at least always be known for that and tornadoes. We will start by electing a whopper of an ignoramus in this year's Congressional race for District 5..

That's where I think OKC will be in 2014 if you ask me, today.

dmoor82
05-21-2010, 12:01 PM
^^ wow!

fuzzytoad
05-21-2010, 12:03 PM
buried under a mile of volcanic ash after the 2012 explosion of yellowstone

workman45
05-21-2010, 12:04 PM
I was about to say...

Every single historic building will have been demolished or altered by then. We'll have twice as many corporate plazas and surface parking lots. We'll have a Walmart to go with the Bass Pro. We'll have Motel 6 and Red Roof Inn to go with the Residence Inn and Bricktown will be renamed the Green Roof District, akin to the Blue Dome District in Tulsa, but not urban. OKC's planning establishment will no longer just be the laughing stock of downtown, but it will be a joke all across the country. Once SandRidge goes bankrupt the weeds in SandRidge Plaza will be so high that they are actually taller than the Pietro Belluschi tower itself..it will be SandRidge's only contribution to downtown density and the skyline, in the end. We will be breaking ground on a core to shore convention center adjacent to the park, much to the chagrin of developers who would have liked to put development on that land instead, and we will still have not broken ground on a downtown streetcar system because, as a city that is not serious about planning or transit, it has been moved to the very back of the list. We will be working on extending the outer loop all the way around the city and suburban home starts will outnumber downtown homes starts by a margin of 50 to 1. REALLY though, the only new development will be that of a $400 million county jail which will have just as many problems as the old, revealing the simple truth that the county govt (which needs to be eradicated) is the problem, not a facility. Will Rogers World Airport will be loosing several flights a year due to the lower demand for air travel and higher demand for rail travel..which will truly suck for OKC because a high speed rail corridor will never come to Oklahoma despite being recommended by the Feds and due to WRWA's non-hub status, it will hemorrhage flights because the argument that people need SOME way to get to OKC won't hold up in airline negotiations. With Interstate highway or Heartland Flyer by way of Dallas being one of the only ways to get to OKC, commerce will dry up and all of the progress economically made by the MAPS legacy will be reversed and OKC will truly become the next Detroit..or Dodge City is a closer analogy I think, because Detroit is a real city. And one last thing: We will continue electing the most backward and conservative politicians in the nation, so we will at least always be known for that and tornadoes. We will start by electing a whopper of an ignoramus in this year's Congressional race for District 5..

The workload been a little heavy for the past few weeks or the significant other having a bad day? :ohno:

Matt
05-21-2010, 12:05 PM
Can't wait for the Bricktown Walmart to open up!

Bunty
05-21-2010, 12:48 PM
So using MAPS3 to treat an urban area like it might as well be a suburban area seems to be an issue cropping up strongly. In other words don't Edmond my Downtown.

dmoor82
05-21-2010, 01:01 PM
So using MAPS3 to treat an urban area like it might as well be a suburban area seems to be an issue cropping up strongly.

^^ Agreed,if they treat Core2Shore/MAPS3 projects like they did Bricktown,then it will be SUBurban like,and also most of us agree that Sandridge demo"ing" historic buildings isnt at all what OKC needs!and OKC's overall transportation is Horrific(not highways)!OKC still has along way to go,but on The flip side OKC has made MAJOR strides(just in The past 15 years)!

jn1780
05-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Coming out of a double dip recession that will be evident by the end of this year.

ck76
05-21-2010, 02:11 PM
It don't Matter because The End Is Near...:fighting4

Dustin
05-21-2010, 02:35 PM
The new I-40 is iffy though right?

Popsy
05-21-2010, 02:53 PM
Spartan. I don't know very much, but I am convinced that you will never be known as the new Nostradamus.

decepticobra
05-21-2010, 02:55 PM
I was about to say...

We'll have a Walmart to go with the Bass Pro. .

oh good grief! looks like no one will be paying for parking anymore in bricktown, and as a result, few will have the courage to shop at this walmart because of that.

Steve
05-21-2010, 04:20 PM
I was about to say...

You're feeling a bit dark today, aren't you?

fuzzytoad
05-21-2010, 04:36 PM
oh good grief! looks like no one will be paying for parking anymore in bricktown, and as a result, few will have the courage to shop at this walmart because of that.

???

What idiots pay to park there anyway?

Peach fuzz
05-21-2010, 06:49 PM
I understand that it will have a handfull of different features, but I dont think it is a dramatic as you make it out. 2020 might be a more 'changed' look but I uno

Pete
05-21-2010, 06:59 PM
You left off Project 180.

krisb
05-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Spartan just wrote a dystopian novel on the future of Oklahoma City.

Spartan
05-21-2010, 09:07 PM
You're feeling a bit dark today, aren't you?

Hah I guess I was in one of my more spartan moods..

Jethrol
05-22-2010, 06:40 AM
I was about to say...

Wall of text crits my eyes for 20,000 damage. Repeat after me, "The return key is my friend."

decepticobra
05-22-2010, 06:51 AM
???

What idiots pay to park there anyway?

i think you missed my point. with a walmart in bricktown it will certainly encourage those visiting bricktown to utilize walmart's parking since its free, thus avoiding having to pay $5.00 or however much to pay in one of the many fee lots.

in turn, it will ward off honest customers who dont wish to visit bricktown, but just shop at walmart and go home. they will be immediately discouraged to shop there by the ever constant sight of a very crowded parking lot.

walmart will have to meticulously monitor parking lot vialotors via security staff and/or cameras.

rcjunkie
05-22-2010, 07:51 AM
I was about to say...

Ever consider a name change from Spartan to Mr. Negativity, or maybe Sir Doom & Gloom.

rcjunkie
05-22-2010, 07:52 AM
So using MAPS3 to treat an urban area like it might as well be a suburban area seems to be an issue cropping up strongly. In other words don't Edmond my Downtown.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????????

rcjunkie
05-22-2010, 07:56 AM
i think you missed my point. with a walmart in bricktown it will certainly encourage those visiting bricktown to utilize walmart's parking since its free, thus avoiding having to pay $5.00 or however much to pay in one of the many fee lots.
in turn, it will ward off honest customers who dont wish to visit bricktown, but just shop at walmart and go home. they will be immediately discouraged to shop there by the ever constant sight of a very crowded parking lot.

walmart will have to meticulously monitor parking lot vialotors via security staff and/or cameras.

I go to Bricktown at least twice a week to eat, movie, ball game, etc:, and I have never paid for parking, you may have to walk a little, but who can't use the exercise.

BPD
05-22-2010, 08:36 AM
I go to Bricktown at least twice a week to eat, movie, ball game, etc:, and I have never paid for parking, you may have to walk a little, but who can't use the exercise.

Actually, there are quite a few. Did you ever notice the cute little handicap stickers on some cars?

fuzzytoad
05-22-2010, 09:57 AM

you can do that now at Bass Pro, or Toby Keith's, or the Theater, or about 2 dozen other places..

When was the last time you were at WalMart between 7am-10pm and it *wasn't* a crowded parking lot?

LMAO

rcjunkie
05-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Actually, there are quite a few. Did you ever notice the cute little handicap stickers on some cars?

Stickers-No, Placards-Yes, and your point is ?

Spartan
05-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Ever consider a name change from Spartan to Mr. Negativity, or maybe Sir Doom & Gloom.

I've always thought Spartan was very appropriate, actually.

Spar·tan (spärtn)
adj.
b. Simple, frugal, or austere: a Spartan diet; a spartan lifestyle.

ljbab728
05-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Stickers-No, Placards-Yes, and your point is ?

Junkie, you're nitpicking about terms. His point was that people who need handicap parking, like me, don't need the extra exercise provided by walking from free parking lots further away.

rcjunkie
05-23-2010, 04:24 AM
Junkie, you're nitpicking about terms. His point was that people who need handicap parking, like me, don't need the extra exercise provided by walking from free parking lots further away.

That's why there are several handicap parking spots in and around Bricktown/Downtown, if none are open, you can park at any meter and not have to pay if you properly display your handicap placard.

Peach fuzz
05-23-2010, 08:00 AM
ummm so there's going to be a walmart in bricktown... where at? That just sounds really really trashy for bricktown.. wow

EDIT: Dont talladega my bricktown

betts
05-23-2010, 09:02 AM
ummm so there's going to be a walmart in bricktown... where at? That just sounds really really trashy for bricktown.. wow

I believe (hope) that was tongue in cheek. I don't even want a Walmart supermarket, but I see absolutely no way Walmart would build in Bricktown. There's not enough population downtown to support it, the people who live downtown aren't in their target (no pun intended) market and they would be required to conform somewhat to Bricktown standards. The cost of the land for the giant parking lot they would require would be prohibitive as well.

Peach fuzz
05-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Yeah, I cant imagine one of our premier venues with a walmart... just asking for negative looks to our city

CaseyCornett
05-24-2010, 10:53 AM
The Skydance Bridge, Project 180 and the boulevard (which Steve and I will share a drink on upon completion in 2012 for settling a bet, haha)

Steve
05-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Casey, you are smoking serious crack if you think a boulevard will be open in place of the highway by 2012.
That means that within two years the new highway will be completed, the current highway will be torn down, the boulevard will get added onto ODOT's eight-year project list, the boulevard designs will be finalized, and the boulevard will be built and opened.

metro
05-24-2010, 02:05 PM
After YellowStone explodes in 2012, Thunder will seek to be Mayor of OKC and still be serving in 2014.

Peach fuzz
05-24-2010, 02:31 PM
if he can get rid of all the outlet stores popping up at every corner in the nw side of town he has my vote

jn1780
05-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Casey, you are smoking serious crack if you think a boulevard will be open in place of the highway by 2012.
That means that within two years the new highway will be completed, the current highway will be torn down, the boulevard will get added onto ODOT's eight-year project list, the boulevard designs will be finalized, and the boulevard will be built and opened.

I have my doubts that the interstate will even be finished by 2012 with government finances the way they are.

Spartan
05-24-2010, 07:50 PM

DON'T BRICKTOWN MAHH TALLADEGA!!! (referring to Lower Bricktown)

Sorry, I had to..

Larry OKC
05-24-2010, 11:24 PM

Don't forget the Boulevard getting funded...LOL

Larry OKC
05-24-2010, 11:25 PM
if he can get rid of all the outlet stores popping up at every corner in the nw side of town he has my vote

Outlet stores? Where?

Spartan
05-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Did anyone see the commentary piece in the Gazette by Scott Jones doing the same kind of future forecast? Geez, and you guys thought I wrote a dystopian novel..

Peach fuzz
05-29-2010, 11:26 PM
Outlet stores? Where?

Really...

Larry OKC
05-30-2010, 12:21 AM
Yes, Really

you said: "get rid of all the outlet stores popping up at every corner in the nw side of town". The only outlet stores I have heard any mention of is the outlet mall that is supposedly going out there at Council and I-40. I am curious just where all of the on "every corner" ones are at? I haven't noticed them and need specifics is all.

edcrunk
06-04-2010, 02:52 AM
i like you spartan... but srsly. i have faith in OKC.

CaseyCornett
06-04-2010, 07:39 AM
Everyone, I meant the scheduled date of 2014...like the forum thread says. Not 2012...

lasomeday
06-04-2010, 09:15 AM
The boulevard would be a big disaster! Why can't the city see that the perfect place for a grand entrance with retail is already here. Broadway/Automobile Alley is perfect for retail and entering downtown!