View Full Version : question about fashion

decepticobra
05-20-2010, 04:13 AM
got a question about a fashion trend. its not so much prevalent today as it was a few years back, but i still see it every now and then.

its usually guys i see wearing this, but sometimes girls too..

its these tacky looking 1960s-esque reading glasses that look like they were acquired second-hand from a Brady Bunch yard sale. They are ALWAYS black frames, usually with square lenses. They look very nerd like, but I know the people that try to wear them are trying to portray some kind of alternative like statement like "Im too cool to talk to you",.. its usually skinny nerd like guys that wear them, and they usually wear a collared shirt, or sometimes a basic t-shirt with a sports jacket over it, and either jeans or khakis.

what kind of style is that? i dont know if i explained the style right, or in particular the glasses themself, which is really what im questioning directly, so if anyone has a single clue as to what im referring to, please post a link with either some pics of someone wearing such glasses, and/or a link describing what in the world kind of eccentric fashion trend or statement this is supposed to be.

metro
05-20-2010, 07:53 AM
Sorry I'm too nerd like to answer since I have those style glasses

bandnerd
05-20-2010, 08:01 AM
Indie. Alternative. Non-conformist but they are conforming to a style anyway.

And why are you so bothered by it?

Midtowner
05-20-2010, 08:15 AM
That's the kind of glasses I wear every day. Not a hipster either, not by any stretch. My regular work attire consists of suits. As for collared shirts, always. The only time I find t-shirts acceptable to wear in public is for working in the yard, working on a campaign or working out.

skyrick
05-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Sorry I'm too nerd like to answer since I have those style glasses

Me too.

positano
05-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Maybe you could give them a wedgie or steal their milk money. That should teach them.

bandnerd
05-20-2010, 11:56 AM
My squareish glasses are tortoise shell...am I going to get wedgied?

positano
05-20-2010, 01:17 PM
My squareish glasses are tortoise shell...am I going to get wedgied?

Mine are too, so probably :)

MikeOKC
05-20-2010, 01:22 PM
You mean like the ones the couple are wearing on the front page of eyeglasses.com? Designer eyeglasses, reading glasses, and eyeglass frames (http://www.eyeglass.com/)

decepticobra
05-20-2010, 03:53 PM
you know whats really funny? like 3 peeps replied already saying they have those glasses, and none of them even know what they are called?

im not bothered by the glasses themself, just by the behavior of the peeps who wear them.

Midtowner
05-20-2010, 03:56 PM
People who wear jorts bother me.

Can't stand their behavior.

Matt
05-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Look at this f.cking hipster (http://www.latfh.com/)

MikeOKC
05-20-2010, 06:06 PM
you know whats really funny? like 3 peeps replied already saying they have those glasses, and none of them even know what they are called?

im not bothered by the glasses themself, just by the behavior of the peeps who wear them.

Okay, don't laugh. What are "peeps?"

decepticobra
05-20-2010, 08:43 PM

the idiot with his jaw agape is what im talking about, those peeps act so weird. that guy reminds me of that idiot in that movie: harold & kumar go to white castle. the idiot selling dope on campus. so anyways,... just wear the glasses, but dont act like a retro retard just cause youre doing it.

that asian broad at the bottom of the page is a hottie, and her glasses arent as perverted in their design as to the square-ish designs im repulsed by, hers are much thinner and more contour.

decepticobra
05-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Okay, don't laugh. What are "peeps?"

slang for people. made famous by the yellow chicken-shaped marshmallow filled candies of the same name.

dismayed
05-20-2010, 08:58 PM

You post some of the most hilarious random stuff.

dismayed
05-20-2010, 09:05 PM
I don't wear prescription glasses, but I do like the style you are talking about. I always think of the band Weezer when I see those glasses, although their lead singer wears a style that is slightly more dated.

Hmmm, I don't know that this style of glasses is called anything in particular. I've just heard them referred to as retro/rectangular. A lot of higher-end frame makers are selling them, so that is probably part of the hipster draw.

Matt
05-20-2010, 09:10 PM
http://i46.tinypic.com/339hstl.jpg

What a retro retard! http://i48.tinypic.com/dfhzy0.gif

rcjunkie
05-21-2010, 02:34 AM
I wear these as well, not to make a fashion statement, but they allow me to see what I'm trying to read !!!

bandnerd
05-21-2010, 05:53 AM
Back in the day, the glasses were probably called horn-rimmed. These days, I don't think anyone calls them anything, so that's why no one has referred to them by a specific name.

Want to know what I call them?

Glasses.

metro
05-21-2010, 10:05 AM
Back in the day, the glasses were probably called horn-rimmed. These days, I don't think anyone calls them anything, so that's why no one has referred to them by a specific name.

Want to know what I call them?

Glasses.

Exactly, this is the most random question brought up I've seen. To us that wear them, they're just glasses, not trying to make a "statement" or "have bad behavior" or whatever you call it.

bandnerd
05-21-2010, 10:09 AM
We're all such rebels wearing our glasses.

Lord Helmet
05-26-2010, 01:44 PM
I wear glasses like that. I've also been known to wear a t shirt and blazer in the past. I even wear (gasp) converse chuck taylors from time to time. Please define 'acting like a retro retard' so I'll know whether or not I'm one of these people you're so irritated with.

bandnerd
05-26-2010, 02:38 PM
Crap. I have a pair of teal converse that I wear fairly frequently...those and my glasses and the red highlights in my hair might have people labeling me as a hipster. Crap crap crap.

CuatrodeMayo
05-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Perforated steel-framed rectangular glasses...check.
Chuck Taylors and t-shirts regularly...check.
At work?...check

(It's good to be in the design field)