View Full Version : your fave okla lake?

evh5150
05-17-2010, 07:28 AM
whats your favorite lake in oklahoma and why? figured id pop the question to everyone as oklahoma certainly has many lakes, not to mention that memorial day and independence day are right around the corner.

i think the prettiest lake ive ever seen in oklahoma would have to be grand lake in grove.

i like to go fishing when i can, and that being the case i tend to be more fond of country lakes, rather than city lakes.

lake texoma probably ranks the highest in terms of all-out recreational possibilities. it is indeed a spectacular lake.

lake hefner is good for being a city lake. you always see people riding their bikes, rollerskating, etc. as far as fishing there, its the last place i could imagine trying to fish at. the lake is only a mere 3 square miles, need more fish than that.

havent been to overholser in a very long time.

havent been to tenkiller ever, or keystone lake.

i also think lake arbuckle is a rather nice lake as well, perfect for a nice weekend getaway.

Euphoria
05-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Broken Bow. The entire Beaver's Bend area is really pretty.

My Grandparents owned a cabin about a mile from the lake and there was many a weekend that us grandkids got the key from them Friday after classes let out and made a trip down. We'd fish off of the dock in the cove and drink beer all day and drive back on Sunday. Great way to relax away the stress of a week.

ronronnie1
05-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Lake Lawtonka in the Wichita Mts. You can drive to the top of Mt. Scott and see the lake and forest below. So cool, everyone should go see it.

OKCisOK4me
05-17-2010, 01:25 PM
Lake Tenkiller. My buddy has a place there and it's where I've been several Memorial Day weekends, plus, it's right around the corner from the Illinois River.

Grand Lake is only a very close second due to the fact that I have many childhood memories from going there.

TaoMaas
05-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Hmmm...I think Tenkiller and Broken Bow are probably our prettiest lakes. My favorite lake would probably be Greenleaf, though.

RealJimbo
05-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Ronronnie1 - that is a favorite of mine too. Mt. Scott has a good road all the way to the top. On the right days you can watch artillery practice over in Ft. Sill. The lakes in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge are all nice. Lost Lake, Jed Johnson, Quanah Parker, are all nice too. But my personal favorite for a lot of reasons is Fort Gibson Lake. It is clear like Grand Lake but more accessible. Lots of nice camping areas, still a nice lodge and good fishing. It is also on the major flyways for many birds like geese, pelicans and ducks.

dmoor82
05-17-2010, 05:26 PM
DirtyBird!! I have been going to this lake since I was a kid!Love it

Easy180
05-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Broken Bow. The entire Beaver's Bend area is really pretty.

My Grandparents owned a cabin about a mile from the lake and there was many a weekend that us grandkids got the key from them Friday after classes let out and made a trip down. We'd fish off of the dock in the cove and drink beer all day and drive back on Sunday. Great way to relax away the stress of a week.

Broken bow is my choice as well...love the whole area

jstanthrnme
05-17-2010, 08:09 PM
Though I've never been, I would rate Broken Bow as the most scenic, based soley on the photos I have seen of it.

My favorite, and the most beautiful one I have been to so far is Lake Murray.

I definitely want to go to Broken Bow and Beavers Bend SP sometime soon. I was thinking of going this past weekend there, finally, but ended up at Roman Nose..

Peach fuzz
05-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Lake Lawtonka in the Wichita Mts. You can drive to the top of Mt. Scott and see the lake and forest below. So cool, everyone should go see it.

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz336/tjanning/lawtonka.jpg

You mean like this?

bluedogok
05-17-2010, 08:28 PM
Grand

ronronnie1
05-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Ronronnie1 - that is a favorite of mine too. Mt. Scott has a good road all the way to the top. On the right days you can watch artillery practice over in Ft. Sill. The lakes in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge are all nice. Lost Lake, Jed Johnson, Quanah Parker, are all nice too. But my personal favorite for a lot of reasons is Fort Gibson Lake. It is clear like Grand Lake but more accessible. Lots of nice camping areas, still a nice lodge and good fishing. It is also on the major flyways for many birds like geese, pelicans and ducks.

I was just at the top of Mt. Scott a few weeks ago, and am always amazed with the view. Just don't forget to put it in first gear on the way down.

But like you said, the entire Wichita Mts. preserve is awsome. I drive thru there often. Also, you should check out Medicine Park. Drive up the mountain there too. Nice houses dotting the hills, and those views!

EDIT: Yes PeachFuzz!!! You can see for MILES in all directions.

Peach fuzz
05-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Medicine park is booming btw! I used to go eat at the old plantation when I was a kid and I went back last summer, took about an hour and 1/2 to get there from edmond and the park was packed full of tourists. If you guys want to go see something and only want to spend 4-5 hours take a trip down 44 and be back for dinner.

EDIT: Wish a had a better shot but I just so happen to have a pic of what you described heh

mireaux
05-17-2010, 09:39 PM
DirtyBird!! I have been going to this lake since I was a kid!Love it

wheres that lake at? they really have a lake called that??

adaniel
05-17-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm pretty impressed by Tenkiller. Think a smaller, more secluded version of Grand Lake. Although if I had a cool half million sitting around I would love to grab one of those lakeside chateaus near Grove. Eufaula Lake would be great but last time I went it was too crowded with DFW'ers.

This thread makes me realize how many great lakes this state has. I really need to start exploring more!

mugofbeer
05-17-2010, 09:48 PM

mireaux, Thunderbird, east of Norman. Renowned for always being a milk chocolaty shade of brown. Not to mention other extracurricular activities popular with OU students.

Peach fuzz
05-17-2010, 09:52 PM
I still like the soft sand beaches out west... too gunky east wise... Got my 24' party barge ready for MDW, is texoma the warmest for MDW?

progressiveboy
05-17-2010, 09:58 PM
Lake Tenkiller and Grand Lake are to of my favorite. Actually going to Tenkiller for Memorial Day weekend with friends who have a lake house for some R&R.

Wambo36
05-17-2010, 11:35 PM
Lake Hudson. 45 min. east of Tulsa. A smaller(28 miles long), much less crowded version of Grand. On holiday weekends you get about the traffic Grand gets on a regular weekend. On a regular weekend you get the traffic Grand gets on a weekday. Beautiful water and shoreline without the crowds.

metro
05-18-2010, 08:20 AM
I'll throw out a hidden gem out there since no one has mentioned it, Lake Hiwassee.

dmoor82
05-18-2010, 09:42 AM

^^LOL,I'm sorry! Lake ThunderBird!

RealJimbo
05-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Oklahoma with all its lakes has more shoreline than California. Grand, Hudson and Fort Gibson lakes are all on the Grand River, so have similar clear water, just varying degrees of access and amenities.

icecold
05-18-2010, 10:22 AM
No brainer. Having a dock in my backyard practically my whole life growing up on Grand Lake I have to give my bias but correct opinion and say Grand is the best lake in OK. Only 9 more days until I am up there for Memorial, but who's counting.

bluedogok
05-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Eufaula Lake would be great but last time I went it was too crowded with DFW'ers.
All of the southern Oklahoma lakes are full of them. I know quite a few who live in DFW who have been buying lake property in southern Oklahoma because it is nice and affordable compared to many of the north and east Texas lakes.

We have been looking for land near Lake Travis, I would still prefer to move down to Port Aransas.

ronronnie1
05-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Oklahoma with all its lakes has more shoreline than California. Grand, Hudson and Fort Gibson lakes are all on the Grand River, so have similar clear water, just varying degrees of access and amenities.

I heard a commercial a while back stating that Oklahoma has more "shoreline" then the East Coast and Gulf Coast combined.

Pretty impressive.

gen70
05-18-2010, 09:52 PM
I love Oklahoma Lakes.

gen70
05-18-2010, 09:55 PM
I love Lake Texoma and the stories I could tell, nobody would believe.

sam greenroyd
05-19-2010, 03:17 PM
^^LOL,I'm sorry! Lake ThunderBird!

I'ts also been called Thunderchicken

sam greenroyd
05-19-2010, 03:22 PM

try me

decepticobra
05-19-2010, 03:52 PM

well, tell us some of these stories, and we will see if we believe them or not. :busterbun