View Full Version : Massive Hail Damage across NW OKC

MikeOKC
05-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Do people realize how bad the hail damage was in NW Oklahoma City today? (Sunday, May 16th)...

The hail damage has probably totaled two of my cars. Coming back into the neighborhood people are out looking at their destroyed cars. Hail like we had today can take a huge toll on property. I've certainly never seen anything like this. I had no idea hail alone could do this much damage.

Anyone else? Other reports?

kevinpate
05-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Heard a TV 9 person calling in saying in one part of Edmond it looked like a mashed potato flood. Some of the chunks they showed,a nd some of the whited out spots they showed, well, ouch.

Notified the fams that are traveling near the projected path to take a slow road before they get into it in case it is still ugly when they draw near.

wsucougz
05-16-2010, 05:23 PM
We got pretty beat up...Quarter to baseball size. Broke windows out.

Just a few blocks south in Mesta Park it looked like they hardly got anything.

MikeOKC
05-16-2010, 05:33 PM
Check out these photos from NewsOK readers:
NewsOK Breaking News - Hail Damage (http://newsok.com/multimedia/photos/gallery/600836?custom_click=breaking_news)

This is what it was like where I am. I have never seen hail like this...just unbelievable.

sgray
05-16-2010, 07:22 PM
The damage zone was definitely centered over the Britton area, at least when it crossed that part of the city. I left my car parked at a relatives house over near NW 80th & Western earlier in the day and we saw the news of the storm while we were out with family up in Edmond. When we headed back, just after the storm cleared the area...let me tell you...it reminded me of driving through an area just after a tornado hit. From Britton & Broadway extension, we headed west on Britton. WOW!!!

Golf-to-Baseball-size hail everywhere. Nearly every window in the area, on both cars and buildings, was blown out! Debris everywhere. When we got back, our cars had the windshields busted and deep dents all over the body. I would say we were lucky though, because other neighbors had all their windows blown out! House damage on my relative's place...roof was hit so hard that it made holes and there was water damage on the ceiling in several rooms!

My house north of Classen & NW Expwy was not damaged. Just a lot of debris. Golf-ball-size hail all over.

The really interesting sight was driving through the low-lying fog just after the storm that was on broadway extension.

soonerguru
05-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Sorry to hear about your losses.

mugofbeer
05-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Wow! Didn't have that at my house thank goodness. Good luck and best wishes to any of you that suffered damage.

bbhill
05-16-2010, 08:19 PM
I was at work at Quail Springs when the storm hit. Saw a couple broken windows in the parking lot. Mostly just typical hail dents on the cars up here. From what I've heard most of the damage happened down south around Nichols Hills and out west. . .

Spartan
05-16-2010, 08:20 PM
I was w/ some friends at Lincoln & I-44..a lot of people just need new cars if you ask me. I have a few cracks but I too feel like I was spared. After the storm everyone was out in the parking lot going "Oh no... oh my god."

ksearls
05-16-2010, 08:45 PM
We got pounded with cupcake-sized-hail. So hard and so big it ripped the fabric off of our patio furniture and totaled my husband's Toyota Rav 4. The paint is off on spots of the hood! Gutters are demolished, landscpcaping trashed, trees stripped. Wow, what a show! Will never forget this one.

NikonNurse
05-16-2010, 08:48 PM
I live around 164th and Sara Road towards Piedmont. My neighborhood is looks like a war zone. I lost all north facing windows...not to mention, car, roof, and guttering.

stlokc
05-16-2010, 08:54 PM
My parents in Quail Creek have damaged skylights and windows, and a four foot pile of hail in their front yard. Their street was impassable...my dad compared it to an ice storm, which I guess it was.

jstanthrnme
05-16-2010, 08:55 PM
Shortly after the storm passed I made a trip to the Belle Isle Wal-Mart to find a tarp to cover a friends windshield, but they had the store closed. Maybe its just speculation, I would imagine a lot of their skylights are busted out, and merchandise damaged. Thats just a guess though.

The ground along Western north of 36th was covered with hail and very small tree limbs. Almost like they were shredded. Pretty boggling to see.

The glass room at the Hideaway was destroyed, along with countless other windows in the area. Cars everywhere looked like golfballs.

The impact of this is huge, and it's gonna cost a lot to repair all of this damage.

MadMonk
05-16-2010, 09:12 PM
No broken windows here luckily, just some screen damage; but I'll probably be getting a new roof and a paint around the eaves. It looks like someone took a sand blaster to the west and north sides of my house.

mugofbeer
05-16-2010, 09:13 PM
Beware the roofing fraud artists !!!!!!! Never, never, never pay in advance - not one penny !!!!!

MikeOKC
05-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Imagine Sara Rd. > Western and Memorial Road > NW 50th. Give or take a mile or so in either direction with very scattered damage elsewhere. But those street markers are basically the box of damage and even hit and miss within that box. The financial damage will be staggering. As I mentioned in the OP, we lost two cars, just destroyed. Many windows are gone in high rise buildings around NW Expressway and May. It truly looks like a tornado, but it was hail and high-winds propelling the hail like bullets. Shocking to see.

Dustin
05-16-2010, 09:19 PM
All the windows in front of my house.... gone... *sigh* this month has been so stressful.

Peach fuzz
05-16-2010, 09:26 PM
I've never seen anything like this. Thoughts and prayers out to everyone... How long until an accurate damage report?

Larry OKC
05-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Fortunately no hail damage where I live (nw 54th & Portland) but was surprised when I stepped outside and shredded green leaves underneath every tree, bush etc. Didn't matter what kind of tree (even the evergreen pine needle types). Expected the trees to be bare or noticeably thinned out, but they all looked fine. The shredded leaves almost looked like they had been ripped off by a tornado or something, carried by the storm a few blocks or miles and then just dropped. Was weird for sure. When I got back from dinner, a neighbors car had returned and obviously had been in the hail storm. Numerous dents on the body and by the numerous holes in the back windshield the hail was baseball size at the minimum

MikeOKC
05-16-2010, 09:49 PM
USAA is extending the stay of their team in OKC for the recent tornado damage. They were scheduled to leave this afternoon. USAA, by the way, is amazing.

Midtowner
05-16-2010, 10:01 PM
No damage here whatsoever. On the west side of Hefner, I'd have to say I'm damned lucky.

yukong
05-16-2010, 10:46 PM
No damage here in Surrey Hills, this time. But just over a year ago, February 2009 to be exact, this area was heavily damaged by that huge hail storm that hit here. All 3 of our cars were totaled. Our roof, siding and some windows were destroyed. On our cars, the windshield and rear windows were broken out, as well as every inch of the bodies. It was amazing. The hail then was about softball size. Biggest stuff I have ever seen. I'm thankful that this one passed us by. Sorry about everyone else, but I didn't need another one.

mheaton76
05-16-2010, 10:52 PM
I was at my office when it happened. The sound of the hail hitting the building was other worldly. I shot some video, here: YouTube - An Oklahoma City Hailstorm, May 16 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nmv1xzGaG0)

MikeOKC
05-17-2010, 01:35 AM
I was at my office when it happened. The sound of the hail hitting the building was other worldly. I shot some video, here: YouTube - An Oklahoma City Hailstorm, May 16 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nmv1xzGaG0)

The audio may be the most interesting part. Those sounds, just like we heard, were something else. I kept thinking about how there's no way that hail is not running up a huge price tag and a lot of heartache for a lot of people. One of our two cars that I'm afraid insurance will total had a sentimental value to it that can't be replaced. Don't want to get into that right now, but it's just one of those things.

When before I might have said, "It's just thunder, lightning and hail - no circulation," that all changed with this storm. I have a new respect for those ice stones from the sky. Bewildering is all I can say.

OKCisOK4me
05-17-2010, 01:58 AM
Saw this thing coming when it was up near Cashion so had a good start time. Where I live, there's no protective parking so I went to my mom's (they were out of town) and put her car in her garage ONLY after I parked my car underneath an available carport. I went outside on the east front of her place (the door is set back so I had cover) and filmed the mayhem with my video mode on my camera--stations would have to run my video silent due to explicit commentary!

After it was all over I noticed one of her neighbor's north facing windows and knew it wasn't going to be pretty when I got back home. So, I went back home to find my north windows--all the shards and tons of hail in the bedroom. It took me roughly an hour or more to clean up. Got heavy duty plastic on the window and getting plywood put up on the exterior tomorrow.

I was lucky to have that carport, as the whole top of my car is glass (Scion tC). I look at the brightside. I really needed a new north window, so I just tell myself, "God does work in mysterious ways".

NikonNurse
05-17-2010, 08:56 AM
USAA is extending the stay of their team in OKC for the recent tornado damage. They were scheduled to leave this afternoon. USAA, by the way, is amazing.

I agree, we have been with them for 10-15 years plus......and never had a hiccup.

MrBojangles
05-17-2010, 09:18 AM
my girlfriends house got hammered. Busted sky lights, her fence was covered with lush greenery, now you can see fence. Quail Creek area.

BigD Misey
05-17-2010, 09:59 AM
http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/946524/gallery_photo

http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/946526/gallery_photo

http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/946777/gallery_photo
(Daily OK) WOW!

I was at the Colcord when the storm rolled thru, a bit of pea size hail fell there. Nothing like the Villiage or Quail Springs area.

jbrown84
05-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Sounds like it was really bad at Penn Square and 63rd and May. Saw a coworker's car that was at French Market Mall. About as bad as it could be and still be drivable.

Also, my parents were turned away at Tinseltown last night. They apparently have roof damage or something and only had two theatres in operation. Called today and that's still the case.

jstanthrnme
05-17-2010, 08:13 PM
The whole area between Lake Hefner and 63rd and May is littered with roofing company yard signs. You'd think there is a major election coming up if you didn't take the time to read the signs.

bigjkt405
05-17-2010, 08:38 PM
I was at 46th and Lincoln and got severe hail damage. My buddy who was parked behind me will most likely be totalled (windshield, rear window, and major dents).... I have a couple of videos on my phone that jus show my Tahoe being beat severely...

SoonerQueen
05-17-2010, 10:31 PM
We have 2 cars that were pretty much totaled, an air conditioner that got fried due to lightening or hail,an XM radio and lamp that got hit by same lightning, roof damage, and now a pipe burst under the house and we have a pond underneath the house.This was not my week. We have calls in to the plumber and the insurance company but haven't heard back from either yet. Things will get better I hope.

cindycat
05-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Dear Mother Nature,

I'm getting really tired of asking my friends back home if they're OK. That Christmas snow, tornadoes last week and now this hail. Ease up on 'em, won't you?

We've been trying for almost two years to sell our house and move back to OKC. People hear the weather news and say "And you want to move back there?" Sure do.

Does anyone know if Tinker got any damage? I saw reports that said the storm was headed that way, and there was a 58 mph gust...but nothing about actual damage.

okcmomentum
05-18-2010, 08:24 AM

I hope this holds true. I have my claim filed with them but I'm concerned about the very large wind/hail deductible. Guess we'll see what happens.

mbs
05-18-2010, 12:01 PM
My rear windshield was completely smashed by hail. It may be Friday before I can get it replaced, but I need to drive my car. I assume I can cover the window with plastic sheeting and duct tape, so I can drive it, any recommendations on the best way to do that? I don't really have any plastic sheeting, so I'll need to go buy some, not sure what to look for. I don't think a plastic trash bag would work very well. There are still some jagged glass shards around the frame of the window, so this should be interesting.

PennyQuilts
05-18-2010, 12:07 PM
If they have sold out on tarps at the ahrdware store, go buy a cheap shower curtain.

Jesseda
05-18-2010, 12:29 PM
we recieved hail damage on may 10th in moore, i know jims glass is booked fora month, we where able to get our car window fixed in norman, so if you want to drive a bit there is places that have openings in norman, the mile of car dealerships is good place to start, all have repair shops.....

MikeOKC
05-18-2010, 01:20 PM
My rear windshield was completely smashed by hail. It may be Friday before I can get it replaced, but I need to drive my car. I assume I can cover the window with plastic sheeting and duct tape, so I can drive it, any recommendations on the best way to do that? I don't really have any plastic sheeting, so I'll need to go buy some, not sure what to look for. I don't think a plastic trash bag would work very well. There are still some jagged glass shards around the frame of the window, so this should be interesting.

The windshield is gone in one of our cars. Safelight's first appointment available is June 12th. So if you have an appt. for this Friday, that's actually great.

metro
05-18-2010, 01:30 PM
I wonder if people could drive to a town nearby, Guthrie, Norman, or even Tulsa and get faster service? I know I'd hate to wait another 2-4 weeks for a winshield. Just a suggestion.

metro
05-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Found this YT video, there is also a really cool one of large hail hitting a swimming pool.

v-qmG17HQSA

sacolton
05-18-2010, 03:07 PM
YouTube - Hail Inside of Penn Square Mall In Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbS4l9XZiio)

mbs
05-18-2010, 06:25 PM
The windshield is gone in one of our cars. Safelight's first appointment available is June 12th. So if you have an appt. for this Friday, that's actually great.

I called Windows to Go, its a national company that does not have an OKC location, they are sending someone up from Dallas to spend the day replacing windshields. I did manage to get an appointment with Glass Masters on NW Expressway for tomorrow afternoon, but I have to drive the car to them. Hope I can get it there before the storm they say is coming gets here.

mbs
05-18-2010, 06:29 PM
If they have sold out on tarps at the ahrdware store, go buy a cheap shower curtain.

I got a 2ml painters' tarp, and duct tape. Hope it holds up.

Bunty
05-21-2010, 04:35 PM
This video of the OKC hail storm beats them all. Don't skip the last part of it. Over 2 million hits!! I mean views!!

YouTube - Hail Storm Oklahoma City (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFv2W7Duqiw&feature=player_embedded)

OFv2W7Duqiw&feature=player_embedded

Eldestof4
05-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Does anyone know the location of the now-legendary beatlesfanxxl swimming pool video? Having grown up nearby, I can easily imagine that the camera is looking west across the 16th hole of Oklahoma City G&CC. But I'm just peering in from SoCal...where nothing ever happens. (Whatever the video's location, my folks lost a rear car window just up the street from where I imagine this video is.)

ksearls
05-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Yes, you are close. That is the OCGCC but I believe it facing east. From what I understand, it was shot from a home on Riviera. We live just north of there and got pounded. Roof and car totaled. The insurance guy said our SUV was the worst one he has seen.

MikeOKC
05-26-2010, 04:19 PM
Yes, you are close. That is the OCGCC but I believe it facing east. From what I understand, it was shot from a home on Riviera. We live just north of there and got pounded. Roof and car totaled. The insurance guy said our SUV was the worst one he has seen.

I'm really sorry to hear that, Kim. Both of our cars were officially totaled by the insurance company. We're waiting to hear back on the offer. Fortunately, we have USAA and past experience, along with anecdotal evidence from this storm, tells us they will be more than fair. (fingers crossed) I hope you get what you need out of the SUV. The monetary damages from this storm is going to be staggering.

jstanthrnme
05-27-2010, 03:20 PM
This was put on youtube today, from the Hideaway Pizza on N. Western:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sDSdRwvtBt0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sDSdRwvtBt0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>