View Full Version : Car Break-ins at Metro Gyms

BrettL
05-15-2010, 10:32 AM
There's a crew of people hitting cars parked in metro fitness clubs. Over the past 2 or 3 weeks they've broken into dozens of cars at Transformations on Kelly and 33rd, and also next door at Arctic Edge Ice Arena. Guess other gyms around the metro are getting hit as well.

I hope someone does something about this because these gyms are going to lose business. It's happening 3-4 times a week. They're busting windows and taking whatever is in the center console (wallets most of the time).

The PD is aware but it's still happening. Wonder what can be done?

PennyQuilts
05-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Surely they have some security cameras (perhaps recently installed as a result). I hope they catch these thugs.

rcjunkie
05-15-2010, 11:22 AM
What can be done--a great starting point is to stop leaving items/valuables in your vehicle, in plain sight, (especially wallets and purses), before going inside, place all like items in the trunk. Most gyms have lockers, use them.

Hollywood
05-15-2010, 12:03 PM
May 12, 2010

Police arrest 3 in auto burglary
Mark Schlachtenhaufen
The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — Three suspects who allegedly burglarized cars in Edmond and used the victims’ credit cards at various 7-11 and Walmart stores have been arrested, police said.

Early the morning of May 7, police were dispatched to Anytime Fitness, 1333 N. Santa Fe Ave., in response to an auto burglary that had occurred within the past hour, according to a report filed by Edmond Police Officer Jeff Morefield.

Based on his knowledge of the recent auto burglary trend, the officer decided to check the 7-11 at Danforth Road and Santa Fe Avenue for suspicious vehicles or individuals.

Police spokeswoman Glynda Chu said she is aware of at least eight incidents, but there could be more of cars being broken into since February at health clubs. Each time, the window was broken and a purse or wallet was stolen, and each time credit or debit cards were used, Chu said.

Five of the eight burglaries were at Aspen Athletic Club, 1409 E. Danforth Road, from Feb. 23 to May 5, Chu said. One was at All American Fitness, 204 S. Littler Ave., on April 25. And two were at Anytime Fitness, 1333 N. Santa Fe Ave., on April 23 and May 7.

On May 7, the officer did not see any suspicious activity at the 7-11, so he went on to the Walmart at 2200 W. Danforth Road. As the officer was traveling south through the parking lot toward the north side of the Walmart, he observed a 1991 Chevrolet Caprice, which pulled up to the fire lane, jumped onto the curb and then parked.

The officer got out of his car and approached the driver of the Caprice.

The suspect was attempting to make calls on his cell phone while the officer was questioning him, and he appeared to be nervous, police said. When the officer asked him to stop using the phone and questioned him as to what he was doing, the suspect said he was there to pick up two of his cousins, who were inside the Walmart.

Morefield stated that he spotted a screwdriver between the front seats, and believed the situation was similar to many of the other recent auto burglaries, police said. He called for backup and placed the suspect under investigative detention.

After the two other suspects were detained, police spotted a credit card belonging to the Anytime Fitness auto burglary victim in the walking path of one of the other suspects on the west side of the Walmart, police said.

A witness identified the Caprice as the vehicle she saw at Anytime Fitness, driving around the parking lot, police said.

Article Continued (http://www.edmondsun.com/local/x1414098645/Police-arrest-3-in-auto-burglary)

...all that said, remain vigilant. Make sure your vehicle is locked and that nothing of value is left in view from the outside of the vehicle, or better yet nothing of value is left within the vehicle while you are away.

BrettL
05-15-2010, 01:08 PM
What can be done--a great starting point is to stop leaving items/valuables in your vehicle, in plain sight, (especially wallets and purses), before going inside, place all like items in the trunk. Most gyms have lockers, use them.

Yeah I know, but they're busting into cars whether they see anything or not. They're just going down the line of cars and busting in.

Yes, they were arrested, and already bonded out. And guess what - they've hit again. Last night at Transformations and then they were spotted there this morning again.

mireaux
05-15-2010, 01:59 PM
imitates beavis "hey, hows it going?"

Mikemarsh51
05-15-2010, 02:08 PM
They got my wifes car at All American on 104th. A young African American male was in the car when we came around the corner. I asked what the heck was he doing? He took off and I chased him to a late 90's dark blue 4 door Honda Civic. I only wanted the tag number. The four of them beat a crazy path out of the parking lot backwards. One broken window. He went through glove box, center console and sunglass holder and got nothing.

OKCTalker
05-15-2010, 02:58 PM
The bad guys are targeting an establishment where people are getting fit, faster and stronger, so if they're seen, they are likely to be run down and beaten. On the other hand, the patrons could be out of shape, slow and weak, and therefore unable to put up much of a defense.

Could go either way, but if I was caught breaking into cars at a fitness center, I'd hope that the police arrived quickly.

kevinpate
05-15-2010, 04:36 PM
They got my wifes car at All American on 104th. A young African American male was in the car when we came around the corner. I asked what the heck was he doing? He took off and I chased him to a late 90's dark blue 4 door Honda Civic. I only wanted the tag number. The four of them beat a crazy path out of the parking lot backwards. One broken window. He went through glove box, center console and sunglass holder and got nothing.

You chased him. Even being aware that you are FD, and thus far more likely to be in shape than many, did you have a game plan if he had been a tad slower and you caught up to the chap just before you learned he had a crew with him?

While I sometimes don't agree with you, for what it's worth I'm glad you and the missus came out of it with only a touch of property damage.

fuzzytoad
05-15-2010, 08:15 PM
uRNVxHPJ0hM

bluedogok
05-15-2010, 09:32 PM
The bad guys are targeting an establishment where people are getting fit, faster and stronger, so if they're seen, they are likely to be run down and beaten. On the other hand, the patrons could be out of shape, slow and weak, and therefore unable to put up much of a defense.

Could go either way, but if I was caught breaking into cars at a fitness center, I'd hope that the police arrived quickly.
They are doing it at gyms because they know that many people go in there with the bare minimum possibly leaving wallets and purses in the cars. It has been a serious problem down here at the gyms and at places like the (Austin) Town Lake Hike and Bike Trail and a few other of the other nature spots that people hike in.

Mikemarsh51
05-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Kevinpate, I only wanted a tag number nothing more. My son asked me why I didn't shoot at them. I had to explain that CCW did not allow for that. Now had they decided they didn't like me chasing them and had turned on us it would have been a different situation. Thieves are typically cowards and run. I had the best outcome, I would have loved to have gotten the tag, that would have been nice.

oneforone
05-16-2010, 06:07 PM
Kevinpate, I only wanted a tag number nothing more. My son asked me why I didn't shoot at them. I had to explain that CCW did not allow for that. Now had they decided they didn't like me chasing them and had turned on us it would have been a different situation. Thieves are typically cowards and run. I had the best outcome, I would have loved to have gotten the tag, that would have been nice.

It makes you feel any better, most of the tags on the vehicles of criminals are stolen plates or old plates from another vehicle. Tag numbers are only effective if the person just happens to be stupid enough to stay in the area. Most commit the act and leave the area.

positano
05-16-2010, 06:39 PM
It makes you feel any better, most of the tags on the vehicles of criminals are stolen plates or old plates from another vehicle. Tag numbers are only effective if the person just happens to be stupid enough to stay in the area. Most commit the act and leave the area.

I respectfully disagree. Tag numbers frequently assist law enforcement in tracking down offenders. While you are correct that it isn't particularly unusual for the tag to be in the name of someone other than the bad guy, it isn't typically a stolen tag. It's often a family member, or sometimes a prior owner that can identify the subsequent purchaser. Always get a tag if you can.

oneforone
05-16-2010, 06:50 PM
I respectfully disagree. Tag numbers frequently assist law enforcement in tracking down offenders. While you are correct that it isn't particularly unusual for the tag to be in the name of someone other than the bad guy, it isn't typically a stolen tag. It's often a family member, or sometimes a prior owner that can identify the subsequent purchaser. Always get a tag if you can.

I am not saying don't get a tag number. In fact you should get as much information as you can. The more information you have the better the chances the police have of catching the criminal. Many times the criminals are stupid enough to leave the bogus tag on the car and cop sees them driving down the road with same tag number the witness provided.

positano
05-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Understood. I was just pointing out that the tags aren't typically stolen or from other cars. Expired or in a name other than the offender, yes - that's actually far more common.

Mikemarsh51
05-16-2010, 07:23 PM
The sad thing is we need to learn where to park that has security. To never leave anything of value in the car. All the extra details to keep our stuff safe.

BrettL
05-16-2010, 08:10 PM
The sad thing is we need to learn where to park that has security. To never leave anything of value in the car. All the extra details to keep our stuff safe.

It seems like it doesn't matter. These guys are breaking in if they see anything or not. Broad daylight sometimes. They are on camera at numerous places. They are either very bold or very stupid.

soonerfan21
05-17-2010, 11:16 AM
you even need to watch putting purses or valuables in the trunk. if you do that in the gym parking and then go in, they have people sitting and watching.

ronronnie1
05-17-2010, 01:22 PM
This reminds me of that James Bond movie (forget which one) where one of the bad guys tried to break out the window of 007's car. It was equipt with an anti theft device. Basically the car blew up when the driver's side window was smashed out.