View Full Version : Where will LeBron go?

metro
05-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Where do you guys think LeBron will end up going?

soonerfan_in_okc
05-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Where do you guys think LeBron will end up going?

Where ever the hell he wants. EOT.

Mr. T in OKC
05-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Chicago or New Jersey. My money is on Chicago with Phil Jackson to follow.

TaoMaas
05-14-2010, 02:57 PM
I'm thinkin' Chicago, too.

okclee
05-14-2010, 03:37 PM
If he wants to win NBA championships he should join up with the Thunder.

warreng88
05-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Chicago. They already have Noah, Rose, Hinrich and Deng. If they could pickup LeBron, that would be a great team.

bluedogok
05-14-2010, 06:45 PM
Knicks or Nets...he cares more about money and endorsement opportunities than winning championships.

Laramie
05-15-2010, 11:29 AM
Where will LeBron go?

To hell if he doesn't pray!

possumfritter
05-15-2010, 12:06 PM
I agree with bluedogok...Knickerbockers!

Jethrol
05-15-2010, 09:25 PM
I don't think LeBron wants to go to Chicago. That's MJs city.

LeBron has gifts that can make him a legend along with all the best that have ever played the game....perhaps even better. I seriously doubt he wants to do this in a place where it's already been done.

My prediction is that he will stay right where he is. He talks in very nice ways about Cleveland and I think he was born in Akron so, I'm not sure he's looking to move.

I also don't think he would be a good fit here in OKC.....like not at all.

HOT ROD
05-16-2010, 01:27 AM
Chicago - his most favourite player is Michael Jordan, also the reason for his number: 23.

What a kudos it would be if he could go to the 'city' that Jordan built, and continue the reign of the Chicago Bulls. ....

I think this is the thought, the 'next/new' Michael Jordan. ......

And Chicago is the biggest, highest paying market - along with LA and NY.

Stan Silliman
05-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Chicago. They already have Noah, Rose, Hinrich and Deng. If they could pickup LeBron, that would be a great team.

Where he goes, it will be sign and trade, meaning Chicago would have to give up one or two players to acquire LeBron. Probably Deng and Heinrich.

Nets or Clippers isn't a bad option. The Nets have a good center in Lopez and two first round picks next year. A team with Wall, LeBron and Lopez wouldn't be a bad nucleus, plus he'd have New York exposure. That team could attract a Chris Bosh.

Clippers gives him L.A. exposure and a chance to build on the three B's: 'Bron, Baron and Blake. I think he'd do it if he had the option to buy out Donald Sterling's interest as owner.

Easy180
05-16-2010, 03:40 PM
I say he stays put or heads to Chicago.

bluedogok
05-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Where he goes, it will be sign and trade, meaning Chicago would have to give up one or two players to acquire LeBron. Probably Deng and Heinrich.
From what I have read that is HIS option, for that to happen he would have to agree to the player option for 2010-11 and the Cavs execute the sign-and-trade with someone, I have also read where he can become an unrestricted free agent with no compensation going back to Cleveland but that would probably be for less money than the sign-and-trade scenario.

Cleveland.com - What's LeBron thinking? Will he stay or will he go? (http://www.cleveland.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/05/whats_lebron_thinking_will_he.html)

TaoMaas
05-18-2010, 09:22 AM
I don't think LeBron wants to go to Chicago. That's MJs city.

LeBron has gifts that can make him a legend along with all the best that have ever played the game....perhaps even better. I seriously doubt he wants to do this in a place where it's already been done.

Why not? Plenty of other players have followed legends in other cities. It's called "tradition". Lakers? Celtics?

Jethrol
05-19-2010, 06:11 PM
Why not? Plenty of other players have followed legends in other cities. It's called "tradition". Lakers? Celtics?Good point and I agree. Guess I just didn't think about it long enough before posting.

Spartan
05-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Why not? Plenty of other players have followed legends in other cities. It's called "tradition". Lakers? Celtics?

The Bulls are not really up there at that level, though. The Lakers and Celtics are on a level different from anyone else when it comes to tradition, and Chicago's tradition is still overwhelmingly dominated by one person and likely always will be. I do believe that LeBron is more interested in winning than money (because obviously he will have more money than God no matter where he goes) but I think that there are other alternatives.

What about Dallas? It seems like most of the discussion in this thread is in agreement that it will be a sign and trade situation..I think Mark Cuban is planning on that, and we know he's going to make a play--Cuban can offer money AND winning, best of both worlds. I give the Knicks about as much likelihood as him staying at Cleveland.. and I like the Nets better for a renaissance, too--based on the planned move to Brooklyn and their Russian bajillionnaire owner.

MikeOKC
05-21-2010, 10:31 PM
The Bulls are not really up there at that level, though. The Lakers and Celtics are on a level different from anyone else when it comes to tradition, and Chicago's tradition is still overwhelmingly dominated by one person and likely always will be. I do believe that LeBron is more interested in winning than money (because obviously he will have more money than God no matter where he goes) but I think that there are other alternatives.

What about Dallas? It seems like most of the discussion in this thread is in agreement that it will be a sign and trade situation..I think Mark Cuban is planning on that, and we know he's going to make a play--Cuban can offer money AND winning, best of both worlds. I give the Knicks about as much likelihood as him staying at Cleveland.. and I like the Nets better for a renaissance, too--based on the planned move to Brooklyn and their Russian bajillionnaire owner.

I can't see LeBron happy with Dallas culture. I'm sure Cuban would like to have him (in fact, he might be in trouble for saying as much) (http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/05/nothing-from-the-league-on-cuban.html), but I'm not sure Dallas fans would be real accepting of James and the bottom line is he's looking at market endorsements. I say NY or Chicago.

TaoMaas
05-23-2010, 09:26 AM
The Lakers and Celtics are on a level different from anyone else when it comes to tradition, and Chicago's tradition is still overwhelmingly dominated by one person and likely always will be.
True..the Lakers and Celtics are on a different level than most other teams, but the only way to establish a tradition is to keep building upon it. Why not Chicago?

HOT ROD
05-25-2010, 08:14 AM
no person will ever come close to what Jordan has done for the NBA, Chicago, or the game of basketball - period. So we can put to rest the 'this or that player playing in Jordan's shadow'.

There's just no comparison. I bet Jordan could suit up today and still woop every NBA player, including LeBron and Kobe (again, and again).

So the fact that LeBron could go to Chicago would be more of a good move for the NBA and LeBron, both financially and building/continuing the success of a big city's team.

I dont see him in New York, he's not eccentric enough. I also don't see him in LA, because he values privacy somewhat. Chicago is perfect, blend of NY and LA - our 2nd city. ...

Mr. T in OKC
05-26-2010, 02:29 PM
no person will ever come close to what Jordan has done for the NBA, Chicago, or the game of basketball - period. So we can put to rest the 'this or that player playing in Jordan's shadow'.

There's just no comparison. I bet Jordan could suit up today and still woop every NBA player, including LeBron and Kobe (again, and again).

Jordan averaged 22.9 and 20 ponts per game in his last two seasons. Everyone gets old. Today, Jordan wouldn't start. But he was the best player of all time.

TaoMaas
06-14-2010, 04:18 PM
I'm reviving this because I watched "More Than a Game" yesterday. If you haven't seen it, it's pretty interesting. I hadn't realized before that LeBron was just one of a group of kids who had been playing together since a very young age. They became an extended family for each other. It made me want to say, "LeBron...if you want to relive that sense of brotherhood in your professional life, we've got that goin' on with the Thunder. Come join us!" lol

Mr. T in OKC
06-16-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm reviving this because I watched "More Than a Game" yesterday. If you haven't seen it, it's pretty interesting. I hadn't realized before that LeBron was just one of a group of kids who had been playing together since a very young age. They became an extended family for each other. It made me want to say, "LeBron...if you want to relive that sense of brotherhood in your professional life, we've got that goin' on with the Thunder. Come join us!" lol

I don't think LeBron would be a good fit for the Thunder. He seems to want too much of the spotlight (ie. throwing the chalk up in the air before he takes the court). Plus, I don't think the Thunder are interested in paying two max contracts.

workman45
07-06-2010, 08:12 AM
So here's a different take on the situation.

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
Jul 4, 7:29 pm EDT

Email Print They turned that downtown office building into a public parade of billionaires and builders of dynasties, entertainment icons and what-are-they-doing-here Clippers. The big, wide world took turns marching into the heart of Cleveland to make dramatic presentations to a hometown hero in a T-shirt, shorts and sneakers.

Here was Team LeBron making the headquarters of James’ fledgling marketing company LRMR into the Grand Central Station of a city’s hope and heartbreak. And perhaps the Cavaliers showed why they best know the biggest free agent in sports history when they delivered a presentation designed as much to steal a 14-year-old away from a traveling baseball team than woo a self-proclaimed disciple of Warren Buffett.

More Yahoo! Sports StoriesWhy World Cup stars aren't shining Player injures himself getting dressed More From Adrian WojnarowskiWade not ready to commit to Bulls Jul 2, 2010 Mogul making: Prokhorov sells LeBron Jun 30, 2010
Cleveland fans implore LeBron James to stay with the Cavs.

(Jason Miller/AP)
[Photos: See more images of LeBron James]

Through it all, James’ old team probably played it perfectly. The Cavs understood their audience the best: LeBron James(notes) and his high school buddies, 25-year-olds trying to play the part of a global corporation but ultimately still reached at a meaningful level with cartoons and locker-room humor.

A week ago, most teams believed they were chasing the Chicago Bulls for James, but that’s flipped in the past days and hours. “My gut tells me Cleveland,” an executive in the James chase told Yahoo! Sports on Sunday. “From what I hear now, it’s his decision alone. No outside influences.”

Officials from teams who made these presentations went along with the charade, but some questioned the legitimacy of the process based on the kinds of questions that were thrown back to them. “It didn’t take long to realize you’re dealing with 25-year-old kids,” one source said.

Cleveland executives are still on edge, but privately feeling far more confident now than they did weeks ago. As much as anything, William Wesley has been muscled out of the process in the past week or so, with teams insisting that communication to James goes directly through his business manager Maverick Carter. So unnerved over World Wide Wes’ ubiquitous presence in the process, Carter had to go public to undermine Wesley’s credibility and proclaim his own power.

The wresting back of power into James’ Akron-based camp goes a long way to securing the Cavs’ chances for re-signing James. This could preserve James’ future with the Cavaliers, because those surrounding him will eagerly validate his decision to take more money, stay home and keep them all relevant in his career and life.

Team LeBron turned this courtship of presentations into a marketing tool for the breadth of his brand, into a visual of the heavy-hitter suitors ultimately being rebuffed out of James’ loyalty and love for Cleveland. This entire episode made for around-the-clock news and Twitter frenzy. From the offices of LRMR, James has delivered a relentless reminder that’s he’s the world’s most wanted man in high tops. He needed the threat of leaving, even if there was never truly the intent.

What’s more, James and his guys have ramped up the launch of a new personal website and foreshadowed it as the place to find out first the big news on his free-agent choice – one that possibly won’t be made until he’s done marketing the LeBron James Skills Camp in Akron through Wednesday.

In the end, the Cavs can still offer James the most money, and no city will celebrate his arrival more than Cleveland will rejoice his refusing to leave. Cleveland fans felt like they had lost him, like he was going to get swept away into the world beyond Northeast Ohio. Something changed in the playoffs. Always, there was a sense that if he left there, the onus would be on the organization; that it didn’t do enough, that it didn’t surround him with the proper talent. Only this time, the Cavs did. James’ no-show performance in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference semifinals against Boston scarred him everywhere. He hadn’t delivered on the burden of an MVP, and suddenly the narrative of the story had dramatically changed.

Coach Mike Brown was fired, general manager Danny Ferry was pushed out and an awkward pursuit of Tom Izzo ensued under owner Dan Gilbert’s watch. Everything about James’ future in Cleveland felt so flimsy. In the end, Gilbert did get right the hiring of Byron Scott as coach, a man with an ability to make people feel confident about situations, to feel confidence in his presence.

Despite sources saying Scott’s old New Jersey point guard Jason Kidd(notes) didn’t back down from past criticisms when called by Cleveland officials, the unwavering praise of Chris Paul(notes) went a long way with the Cavs. Scott is a smart coach for James, a balance of old-school sensibility with a willingness to give his superstars complete freedom to dictate terms on the floor.

For all the New Jersey Nets’ promises of world treasures, the flashing of Pat Riley’s rings, the young talent of the Bulls and the calling of Madison Square Garden, this process has made some suitors skeptical of James’ seriousness. Even so, all the teams have to tell their fans that they had a great shot and wowed him and his buddies in the presentations.

Armed with a commitment from Amar’e Stoudemire(notes), the Knicks sent two executives to Cleveland on Saturday to run some cap numbers past James’ agent Leon Rose. James’ people have privately described the Knicks as a long shot, but New York has wisely tried to stay aggressive selling itself. For now, the Knicks are the one team with an All-Star caliber forward on the way.

The Knicks are willing to pay Stoudemire $100 million, something no one else with cap space is willing to do. New Jersey would take Stoudemire if James also promises to sign, a source said, but won’t meet his demands for a maximum contract as a solitary commitment.

Still, mostly this may turn out to be an exercise in lavishing LeBron James with what he craves the most: a lustful longing for his greatness. Deep down, LeBron had to walk out of those offices with an understanding that no one can make him a billionaire and no one can promise a circumstance much better than what he’s had in Cleveland these past seven seasons. For him to leave, there would be so much pressure to deliver a championship upon arrival, to honor the biggest free-agency score in history. And it leaves to you wonder whether he truly wants any of that.

LeBron James has always sold his hopes of wanting to conquer the world, of turning into a historically transcendent athlete and icon. All that sounds wonderful, but here’s what everyone does know: He’s going to be a wildly successful basketball player, maybe a five- or six-time MVP and, barring misfortune, an NBA champion.

And maybe most of all now, you get the idea that James is an overgrown teenager getting a few laughs with his buddies, driving home to Akron from this cattle call in Cleveland to watch cartoons, play video games and kill some time until he gives the nod to post the big news that maybe the rest of us should’ve known all along: He’s home.

SoonerQueen
07-08-2010, 12:07 AM
I'm thinking either New York or staying in Cleveland. If he had more talent to play with him in Cleveland, i think he would stay. But at the end of the year he had issues with a team mate, and I think that might make him want to move to another team.

Spartan
07-08-2010, 12:13 AM
It's been changing month to month. I think New York, with the real strong push that they made in the last month, is looking like the most likely place IF he doesn't stay in Cleveland. I hope he stays in Cleveland though, just because I like guys like him staying put..plus he's from there. It just seems right.

But I won't be watching the LeBronathon tomorrow so I'll get to find out from other sources..ugh

workman45
07-08-2010, 07:45 AM
Just talked to someone who was raised in that area. He said that since LeBron is from Akron, not Cleveland, that it isn't home and wouldn't be as big a factor as some have stated.

CO-To-OKC
07-08-2010, 08:56 AM
ESPN is reporting that he is "leaning" towards going to Miami. IMO, this would be a bad move for LeBron for a couple of reasons. First, he will be going to Dwayne Wade's team, not going somewhere where he would be "the man." Second, playing for the Miami Heat will not make him the global superstar that he would be if he were to go to New York or Chicago.

I think the best move for LeBron would be to go to the Knicks. If he goes to Chicago, he'll be playing in Michael Jordan's shadow for the rest of his career (and there will NEVER be another Jordan). I've already given the reasons why he shouldn't go to Miami, and if he stays in Cleveland, he won't win a title because he doesn't have the supporting cast and because the city's sports teams seemed to be cursed.

wsucougz
07-08-2010, 10:32 AM
In the end, this is all pretty telling about Lebron and is probably going to blow up in his face by alienating a lot of his fans. He could be setting himself up to be one of the most hated men in sports.

He's going to be hearing a lot of boos from now on.

dmoor82
07-08-2010, 07:36 PM
It's official,Lebron chooses to join DWade and Bosh in South Beach!

bluedogok
07-08-2010, 08:36 PM
This report just came out.....SpeedTV.com - INDYCAR: Panther Racing Fails To Sign LeBron (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-panther-racing-fails-to-sign-lebron/)