View Full Version : moore boxes

rxis
02-26-2005, 01:31 AM
There are two large shopping boxes on Eastern in Moore. One is the Goodwill on Eastern and the other is located in a shopping strip on 4th and eastern. Does anyone have ideas about what to do with them. They were both supermarkets awhile back.

Patrick
02-27-2005, 12:12 AM
What are they being used for now? Obviously, I guess one is being used for Goodwill, so that will probably remain the use. What about the other box?

It seems like a variety of tenants have been taking up big boxes arouned the metro. Incredible Pizza is filling a big box on NW Expressway. Churches have filled several others. A storage facility is filling part of the old Village Wal-Mart. The old Wal-Mart on I-240 has been torn down to make way for a new strip center.

rxis
02-27-2005, 04:15 PM
the one off of 4th street was i think a buy4less located in a shopping center.
The Goodwill location was once a food lion location.
There is still that old Food Lion box at 44th and Sooner. There are new businesses and apartments in the area but nobody seems to know what to do with the building.

Jay
03-01-2005, 04:54 AM
The one on 4th street is a former Buchanans store. They used to be one of the true hometown grocers for Moore and South OKC. When I was in high school I met Steve Buchanan. He was always there to lend a hand when the school needed something.

I remember I made a request to coca-cola for a fountain setup for an outdoor school event. The day of the event Coca Cola only delivered the syrup and the CO2. Steve Buchanan just happened to be around that day and caught wind of are dilema. He called one of the stores and had thier soda serving trailer delivered to the school. Along with the tralier came lots of ice and plenty of cups.

Both Moore and Westmoore used the Buchanans stores for pep rallies. The 4th and Eastern store adopted Moore High School and the 119th and Western store adopted Westmoore. The Buchanan family was dedicated to the local community.

Steve Buchanan sold the stores to fleming in the late 90's. He was quoted in a newspaper article stating Wal-Mart was killing their business and he wanted out before the losses became to heavy.

As we all know Fleming went bankrupt and along with them went many independent grocery stores which they either owned or supplied. Most where known as IGA Superthrift. The remaining IGA Superthrifts have either changed affilations or just dropped the IGA Superthrift name from thier store.

As far as something moving in thier goes its hard to tell. I think the center will probably be raised and rebuilt as something else. Just because thier is a large amount of growth on the east side of Moore these days. Thier going to need the same kinds of stores Norman and North OKC have.

Jay
03-01-2005, 05:01 AM
BTW is the old Pratt's store on 12th and Eastern still vacant. A few years ago Albertson's supposedly bought the property. They were going to tear down the old Pratt's store an build a new Albertson's.

For all we know they may have changed thier minds since Crest is right across the street.

rxis
03-03-2005, 10:56 AM
theres a neighborhood walmart across the corner from the 4th street former buchanans
yeah your right I think I remember a Buchanans there

rxis
03-03-2005, 03:10 PM
the walmart in midwest city is soon to be empty also

Jay
03-03-2005, 08:36 PM
Yeah when that Wal-Mart closes it will be replaced by two supercenters. There is one being built at NE 23rd and Douglas and another at I-40 and Sooner.

rxis
03-03-2005, 09:31 PM
I only knew about the one comming on Sooner. Just got an apartment on 10th and AirDepot so that might be good...oh wait it won't be ready till next March right?
Probably won't matter to me then..hehe