View Full Version : Another result of hotel/motel tax increase

Patrick
02-25-2005, 02:47 PM
"Fair park lassos roping event

The executive committee of the United States Team Roping Championship recently announced it will continue to have its event at State Fair Park through 2009.
The event has been at State Fair Park since 1994 and brought about 90,000 spectators to Oklahoma City last year, with an estimated economic impact of more than $25 million.

The decision comes after voters overwhelmingly agreed in December to increase the city's hotel tax to pay for improvements to the horse barns at State Fair Park. The increase passed with 89 percent of the vote.

Mayor Mick Cornett said in a written statement, "Back in December, we asked our citizens to invest in the future of the equine industry. The fact that the USTRC will remain at State Fair Park for the next five years is a credit to the commitment that the voters made."

Sooner&RiceGrad
02-25-2005, 11:37 PM
The tax is still lower than D/FW or other region cities... I don't know about Tulsee town though.

Oh.. and seeing that Mick Cornett is currently on, I want to congradulate him on getting his bill passed.

workman45
02-26-2005, 07:45 PM
It's nice to see the bill producing concrete results this quickly. I also would like to congradulate everyone involved with passage of the bill.

mranderson
02-26-2005, 07:54 PM
The tax is still lower than D/FW or other region cities... I don't know about Tulsee town though.

Oh.. and seeing that Mick Cornett is currently on, I want to congradulate him on getting his bill passed.

it is not only the region, it is nationwide. Oklahoma City has one of the lowest motel taxes in the countyr. When I budget hotel costs on a trip, I use 12% which I have calculated as the national average. We should have gone for 10%. We would still be in great shape.

Patrick
02-26-2005, 10:45 PM
Maybe in the future, we can consider raising the hotel/motel tax for other uses. Our convention center could still use some upgrading. The Convention and Visitor's Bureau can always use more money to promote city tourism. At least we have some room to increase the tax if need-be in the future.

HOT ROD
02-27-2005, 03:06 AM
it is not only the region, it is nationwide. Oklahoma City has one of the lowest motel taxes in the countyr. When I budget hotel costs on a trip, I use 12% which I have calculated as the national average. We should have gone for 10%. We would still be in great shape.

Anderson, I totally agree!!!!

OKC should have gone for a higher tax. The revenue could have been used for more than just the fairgrounds.

Of the 10%, the following Annual Allocation rates:

3% allocated for operations and maintenance of municipal attractions (like fairgrounds, Cox, Ford, Civic, Stage, Zoo, other municipal attractions)
2.5% allocated for ongoing Fairgrounds Capital Fund (Bonds)
1% allocated for OKC Chamber, particularly the visitors centre - Advertising
1% allocated for OKC Stomping (at trade shows, tourism events, and conventions around the nation) to lure events to Oklahoma City
1% allocated to go back to the district the dollars came from, sort of like a BID where if the dollars came from downtown, then a pool of cash would be set aside for downtown hotel issues
1% allocated for OKC beautiful and beautification, particularly the Interstate system, airport, and arterials. TREES!!!!!!! and SIDEWALKS!!!!!
.5% allocated for OKC general fund, perhaps going to shortfalls in the park system

Dollars that do not get used annually would accrew interest in pools based on their allocation but could be used in the OKC general fund with community focus group's and council's approval.

Look at the issues that could have been addressed from my list, 10% is almost nothing. Most big cities charge higher. And let me tell you that their allocation is similar in nature to the list I provided.

mranderson
02-27-2005, 09:55 AM
Sounds good to me. Does anyone else have a breakdown?

:congrats:

windowphobe
02-27-2005, 10:34 AM
Keep in mind that the state (and therefore county and city) sales tax is collected on lodging, so if the city's hotel tax were boosted to 10 percent, visitors would be paying 18.375 percent, which is way above the national average.

On this one, the city called it about right: 5.5 percent, which brings the total to 13.875, higher than Dallas but lower than Fort Worth or San Antonio, the three cities mentioned in the issue of City News that pitched the tax.

mranderson
02-27-2005, 10:47 AM
Keep in mind that the state (and therefore county and city) sales tax is collected on lodging, so if the city's hotel tax were boosted to 10 percent, visitors would be paying 18.375 percent, which is way above the national average.

On this one, the city called it about right: 5.5 percent, which brings the total to 13.875, higher than Dallas but lower than Fort Worth or San Antonio, the three cities mentioned in the issue of City News that pitched the tax.

The hotel-motel tax is inclusive. The state rate, if any, is built into the city tax, even if it is raised by a vote of the people.

By the way. I have many motel recipts to show this. Try 20 nights a year since 2000, and 10 a year before that. All after 1989.And from 47 states (all but Oklahoma, Alaska and Hawaii).

windowphobe
02-27-2005, 08:09 PM
Saith the Oklahoma Tax Commission:

"The state sales tax is 4.5 percent of the gross receipts or proceeds from sale or rental of tangible personal property and from the furnishing of specified services including public utilities, transportation, meals, lodging, admissions and auto parking.

"Cities (Municipalities) may levy a sales tax on the same items that are subject to the state sales tax."

You might check into one of the local inns and see just how much you're paying.

http://www.oktax.state.ok.us/oktax/taxes2.html#salestax