View Full Version : How to get grocery stores back into the inner city?

mugofbeer
05-09-2010, 08:10 PM
Though much of inner-city Denver still has good grocery stores, much of the lower-middle income and lower income areas aren't served. Here is an interesting article and some information about a grocery chain that specializes in taking over abandoned inner-city stores.

Abandoned stores leave grocery graveyards in Denver area - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/ci_15047968)

oneforone
05-09-2010, 11:47 PM
I podcast a couple of talk shows out of Cincinatti. Kroger is getting their feet put to the fire over closing a store in an inner city neighborhood.

Kroger's main reason for closing the store was the fact they were losing over a million a year in that store alone.

Most of these inner city stores would stay open if the people that worked in the stores ran it honestly and the people that shopped their refrained form theft. Then again most people see every corporate company as a faceless empire with deep pockets. When a few people steal everybody loses.

Running a business is just like gambling or playing the lottery. Sooner or later you have to realize that your just throwing away good money after bad. You then have to make the decision to stop the loss or get out of the game otherwise you lose everything.

Not to mention the city has to step up and increase the police presence in areas that are known hot beds for crime.

Make the area safe and play by the rules of society and expect your friends family and neighbors to do the same. Then suddenly businesses want to locate in your area.

scootinger
05-10-2010, 02:56 AM
How big of a problem is this in Oklahoma City as compared to other cities? I do see Walmart/Buy For Less/Aldi stores pretty much in all parts of town. And I know that in particular a Mexican supermarket ("El Mariachi" I think?) opened a couple of locations in closed Homeland/Safeway stores here in OKC, and they seem to be doing fairly well.

EBAH
05-10-2010, 07:16 AM
yeah, I wouldn't think it was that big of a problem here. I can only speak for inner north west, but in the 23rd and Villa area there are plenty of choices. Granted, not all of them very good, but there is a Crest, Homeland, Buy for Less, and a Walmart within a very short drive.

metro
05-10-2010, 07:33 AM
I podcast a couple of talk shows out of Cincinatti. Kroger is getting their feet put to the fire over closing a store in an inner city neighborhood.

Kroger's main reason for closing the store was the fact they were losing over a million a year in that store alone.

Most of these inner city stores would stay open if the people that worked in the stores ran it honestly and the people that shopped their refrained form theft. Then again most people see every corporate company as a faceless empire with deep pockets. When a few people steal everybody loses.

Running a business is just like gambling or playing the lottery. Sooner or later you have to realize that your just throwing away good money after bad. You then have to make the decision to stop the loss or get out of the game otherwise you lose everything.

Not to mention the city has to step up and increase the police presence in areas that are known hot beds for crime.

Make the area safe and play by the rules of society and expect your friends family and neighbors to do the same. Then suddenly businesses want to locate in your area.

Do you think this is why Walmart hasn't built a store in East OKC? Most have to shop at the Belle Isle Walmart

How big of a problem is this in Oklahoma City as compared to other cities? I do see Walmart/Buy For Less/Aldi stores pretty much in all parts of town. And I know that in particular a Mexican supermarket ("El Mariachi" I think?) opened a couple of locations in closed Homeland/Safeway stores here in OKC, and they seem to be doing fairly well.

Are any of these stores in East OKC? Not to my knowledge.

Midtowner
05-10-2010, 07:35 AM
Does NE OKC even have a grocery store? Aren't their closest grocery stores in MWC?

metro
05-10-2010, 07:40 AM
No, most of the east side shops at the Belle Isle Walmart. There is also a very run down grocery store on NE 23rd, about a 1/4 mile east of the governors mansion. I think it's called Griders, but I could be mistaken.

pickles
05-10-2010, 07:46 AM

I guarantee you that El Mariachi is doing very, very well. For the purposes of this discussion "inner city" basically means east side, which is an entirely different culture than the one served by El Mariachi or the Supermercado Buy For Less.

oneforone
05-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Does NE OKC even have a grocery store? Aren't their closest grocery stores in MWC?

Hometown Market on 23rd and MLK and Otwell's north of NE 10th and MLK.

bluedogok
05-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Do you think this is why Walmart hasn't built a store in East OKC? Most have to shop at the Belle Isle Walmart
A friend of mine was the regional manager for loss prevention in the Houston area for Wal Mart, we were talking about about that at one time and knowing that I was from OKC we talked about some of the stores there. He brought up that the Belle Isle location was one of the leaders on the "most lost" lists in this area of the country through both shoplifting and pilferage. He did say some of his Houston stores were real close behind.

okclee
05-10-2010, 08:55 PM
^^ Why does this not surprise me?

Larry OKC
05-10-2010, 09:26 PM
^^^^
Am still confused by this statement. In what way(s) is it a "dump"? Please be specific.

vandy
05-10-2010, 10:23 PM
I do not shop at WalMart, mainly because I am overwhelmed when I go to the store. If it is not caused by the actual store itself, it's because of the people shopping. Everyone seems irritated, in a rush or just mad for some reason.

I enjoy shopping at the Buy for Less on NW Expressway because of their organic product selection and their deli. Both are quality.

As far as getting stores downtown, I think oneforone hit the nail on the head in their post, talking about minimizing losses and "playing by the rules." I work downtown, and on days that I do not bring a lunch, it is a stretch for me to make it to the Homeland on Classen in time to get food for lunch, eat it, and be back to work in time.

I do know that Safeway opened a store in downtown Portland with multiple stories. There is a people escalator and a cart escalator. It seems to be successful.

metro
05-11-2010, 07:28 AM
^^^^
Am still confused by this statement. In what way(s) is it a "dump"? Please be specific.

Go there and see for yourself.

mugofbeer
05-11-2010, 10:01 AM

Within 50th, Meridian, 44th and the east city limits there are very few grocery stores. A few exceptions but all-in-all, considering how many people live in this area, it is very underserved. Much has been said about nuturition and obesity in the poor, well, this is one contributing factor as is discussed in the article at the top of the thread. Its easy to go to a 7-11 and get junk food there but it's not so easy to get in your car and drive 5 miles to Belle Isle or 23rd and Penn or (whatever exceptions there are on the south side of town) to get fresh produce, fruit and fresh meat. Finally, Hispanic supermarkets aren't the answer to the non-Hispanics.

mugofbeer
05-11-2010, 10:03 AM
A friend of mine was the regional manager for loss prevention in the Houston area for Wal Mart, we were talking about about that at one time and knowing that I was from OKC we talked about some of the stores there. He brought up that the Belle Isle location was one of the leaders on the "most lost" lists in this area of the country through both shoplifting and pilferage. He did say some of his Houston stores were real close behind.

Curious, I wonder if the Belle Isle Wal Mart is not also one of Wal Mart's busiest stores? 7 days a week that place is packed. I wonder if shoplifiting and pilferage are high relative to sales?

swilki
05-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Curious, I wonder if the Belle Isle Wal Mart is not also one of Wal Mart's busiest stores? 7 days a week that place is packed. I wonder if shoplifiting and pilferage are high relative to sales?

I have spoken to a Walmart regional manager about that store, it is one of, if not the, busiest store in the state. So I would imagine that would also lead to having one of the highest shoplifting rates.

neverontime
05-11-2010, 01:03 PM

Yes! The northeast side has two grocery stores. Otwell's and Hometown.

Otwell's is locally owned and operated. Support them!

bluedogok
05-11-2010, 06:19 PM

I have spoken to a Walmart regional manager about that store, it is one of, if not the, busiest store in the state. So I would imagine that would also lead to having one of the highest shoplifting rates.
We didn't get into the discussion of gross sales, etc., he was Loss Prevention so that is what the discussion was focused on but it does go hand in hand in many cases.

Larry OKC
05-12-2010, 01:19 AM
Go there and see for yourself.

I am in that location and the one on Memorial at least weekly. I don't see any evidence of it being a "dump" that's why I wanted him to be specific. And apparently you agree with him by your comment. In what ways is it a dump? The Belle Isle (sp) location is undergoing a $1 to $2 million renovation (new buidlng signage, color scheme and merchandising shelving etc)

I don't particularly like the renovation as 1) I still consider it to be a new store and not in need of it (it had a mini-remodel just a couple of years ago). 2) They have rearranged the store and now can't find anything. But that said, it doesn't make it a dump.

oneforone
05-12-2010, 01:55 AM
Within 50th, Meridian, 44th and the east city limits there are very few grocery stores. A few exceptions but all-in-all, considering how many people live in this area, it is very underserved. Much has been said about nuturition and obesity in the poor, well, this is one contributing factor as is discussed in the article at the top of the thread. Its easy to go to a 7-11 and get junk food there but it's not so easy to get in your car and drive 5 miles to Belle Isle or 23rd and Penn or (whatever exceptions there are on the south side of town) to get fresh produce, fruit and fresh meat. Finally, Hispanic supermarkets aren't the answer to the non-Hispanics.

The nutrion and obesity problem would still be present regardless if there is a grocery store or not. Have you ever been in Wal-Mart or Crest on the 1st and 15th.

You can identify the Access card holders from a distance. They are the ones with baskets load down with 20 packs of frozen burritos, a dozen frozen pizzas, misc. junk food and every high end cut of meat. Most are not feeding their familes they are turning around and selling the bulk of it to friends and family.

Out of all the piled high baskets you maybe lucky if you see one or two people stocking up healthy foods.

okclee
05-12-2010, 08:46 AM
That needs to change. The "access" card should not give you access to unhealthy foods.

mugofbeer
05-12-2010, 10:54 AM
The nutrion and obesity problem would still be present regardless if there is a grocery store or not. Have you ever been in Wal-Mart or Crest on the 1st and 15th.

You can identify the Access card holders from a distance. They are the ones with baskets load down with 20 packs of frozen burritos, a dozen frozen pizzas, misc. junk food and every high end cut of meat. Most are not feeding their familes they are turning around and selling the bulk of it to friends and family.

Out of all the piled high baskets you maybe lucky if you see one or two people stocking up healthy foods.

Well of course, but at least groceries give you vastly more options and opportunities to purchase more healthy food than a 7-11 or Circle K. Inner cities of most major urban areas are vastly underserved by grocery stores yet have more than enough population to support them.

soonerguru
05-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Most people don't really know how to eat properly, and those frozen, boxed and otherwise processed food items are a lot less expensive in our groceries. It's a sad paradox.

ljbab728
05-15-2010, 12:09 AM
That needs to change. The "access" card should not give you access to unhealthy foods.

My elderly mother has an access card so I'm very familiar with it. There is no way to differentiate when using the card between buying healthy or unhealthy foods. You can buy a lot of healthy foods and put them together into something that is unhealthy so what is the point? I agree that some things really aren't appropriate but as long as it isn't a prepared hot food ready for eating you can use the card. The last thing we need now is for the government to become the food police. We are already over regulated.