View Full Version : Mark Shannon passes away

Pages : [1] 2 3

drum4no1
05-08-2010, 07:32 AM
What a shame, didnt think it would be this soon..

NEWSRADIO 1000 KTOK-AM (http://www.ktok.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=119211&article=7092278)

PennyQuilts
05-08-2010, 07:45 AM
Rip

rickself
05-08-2010, 08:03 AM
God Bless, Shamster.
You have led many down a new path of open eyes.
We have lost one good American.

decepticobra
05-08-2010, 08:16 AM
good riddance to that arrogant egotistical prick.

phinzup
05-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Just received an email stating that Mark Shannon (local radio personality) passed away this morning.

May he rest in peace.

rickself
05-08-2010, 08:24 AM
good riddance to that arrogant egotistical prick.So classy

rcjunkie
05-08-2010, 08:28 AM

Even though you don't like or agree with someone or their views, is that a reason to be a rude and obnoxious bonehead.

drum4no1
05-08-2010, 08:42 AM

Sounds like you share the same traits then...

MrZ
05-08-2010, 08:52 AM
I enjoyed listening to Mark on KRXO back in High School but never caught his act afterwards.
I know he has become a lighting rod lately and I'm sure there will plenty of interesting things said about him now that he is gone.
Try to have a little respect people. Thanks for the good times Mark!

TaoMaas
05-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Holy crap! God DOES work in mysterious ways!

megax11
05-08-2010, 10:18 AM
All I can say is, I hope God has mercy on him.

He said he wanted to pistol-whip the mayor.

I also recently heard he praised Timothy McVeighs actions in 1995.

Boy is he in trouble.

rickself
05-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Mark Shannon said more times than I can remember that he was good with his Lord. He irritated as many people as he initiated into action. Free speech is OK in our country. He had the platform to air his thoughts and if you didn't want to listen, you switched the channel. If he's as bad a person as a lot of people think, then he'll be in the same line as our current president in hell, with whom he so disagreed with on nearly every issue.

Good luck, Lee Matthews. Those are big shoes to fill.

SkyWestOKC
05-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Guys. Stop it. This is neither the time nor the place.

Rest in peace Mark, it was an honor meeting you last year.

MikeOKC
05-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Wow. I am shocked at the some of the comments here. Really. It makes me realize there are one too many very immature people on this board.

SkyWest is absolutely right. Now is NOT the time.

Mark's last words were written like his own goodbye. I think he knew the end was coming: markshannon.com (http://www.markshannon.com)

RIP

bluedogok
05-08-2010, 11:52 AM
I wasn't a fan of his but I hope he has peace now and am thankful that he no longer is suffering from the disease which claimed him. No one should have to suffer through what he went through the past few years health wise.

bmrsnrou
05-08-2010, 11:57 AM
I think it's the right time for a discussion about the guy. People are entitled to their opinions about him. Personally, I didn't care for him or his views. With that said, I hope he's resting comfortably. Also, one couldn't possibly start this thread and not expect the negative comments that are sure to follow. The guy was a lightning rod for controversy and not all Oklahomans agreed with, or liked him. Just my opinion.

Slivermoon
05-08-2010, 12:14 PM
I agree, may he rest in peace and find a better existence where he is now than he did on this earth.

I've met him and found him personally rude and insulting. I disagreed with the manner in which he portrayed his position on some issues, although I will never disagree with anyones right to express their opinion. These were what I knew of him from my standpoint in life, but those things are past.

I know one thing. We will all die someday and death, and what goes beyond is personal. Many hold differing beliefs about what lies after death. Some believe there is nothing. But no one should hold ill will or take this opportunity to express feelings of retribution because his life on earth has ended, as will all of ours.

What may be sadder than Mark Shannon's passing is that some would use this instance to demonstrate what may be among the worst trait of humanity... hate.

I would like to think we can do better.

rickself
05-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Not to let my previous statement sound harsh...I wasn't.
I listened to Mark everyday for years.
You hardly said, "well, that's a good point, but...".
He had an opinion. You either liked it or didn't.
I will miss him in the afternoons.
He now continues his journey pain free.

And to the post: "good riddance to that arrogant egotistical pr**k.", if the day comes that I can attend your funeral, I will use your line verbatim.

I, too, thought we were better than this.

drum4no1
05-08-2010, 01:00 PM
I think Mark knew he would be subject to comments like these after his passing.

He knew he put himself out there and was fair game just as the people he commented against.

My limited time I got to interact with him while interning at KRXO was positive. I found him to be a very nice and genuine guy. Maybe at some point during his career/illness his personal demeanor changed for the worse, but Ill remember the nice guy that was willing to share his experiences with a young kid getting started in broadcasting.

Spartan
05-08-2010, 01:29 PM
He was an unethical public figure who used his show to spread bigotry, which I guess he felt there was a demand for in OKC. No doubt about it.

But I hope that he had a good life, a positive family life, and things in his life besides his show that gave him joy. Everyone deserves joy and everyone deserves to RIP. Nobody deserves to have "God works in mysterious ways" written about them after passing.

Best of luck to Shannon, and you can't help but feel for the family..(if there was one)

ddavidson8
05-08-2010, 02:43 PM
I choose to remember him from the Shannon and Spinozi days.

ronronnie1
05-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Bottom line: If you're a public person, and a controversial one at that, then you should expect all different kinds of comments aimed at you - even in death.

Good riddance to bad rubbish. NEXT! LOL

oneforone
05-08-2010, 02:53 PM
I respected the guy because he had the guts to speak his mind. He did not hide his views behind a screen name or in the back of his mind.

If you hate someone so much that you rejoice their death, you are the one with the problem. You need to grow up and stop giving people's opinions so much weight in your world. You need to realize that not everyone sees the world the same way you do.

Life is too short to walk around pi**ed at the world. Every time you listened to Mark or read his blog you could have chosen to listen to something else or went to another website.

If you’re going to take in politics have the stomach to deal with it or go do something else. Don't hate a person because they disagree with you and say things that make your skin crawl.

Bottom-line being happy about someone's death is just wrong. In fact embracing such an idea will just bring nothing but bad luck your way.

decepticobra
05-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Even though you don't like or agree with someone or their views, is that a reason to be a rude and obnoxious bonehead.

whatever, dont be hypocritical just cause he passed away. theres a thread about him on this site where many of us were taking cracks at him one right after the other. if i really need to, ill find that thread im referring to and show it to you, who knows, you may even have a negative post about him that you may have forgotten about it.

aha...FOUND IT! ...hmmm..guess we all forgot about this little thread, go ahead, take a gander at it.

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/20085-mark-shannon-wants-pistol-whip-mayor.html

oh and by the way mr. rcjunkie..it just so happens that on this little thread i accessed here,..on the 8th of december in the year of 2009 on post number 47..you yourself are calling him an "egotistical jerk". hmmm...did i bite my remark right off of you? anyways...like i said, dont be hypocritical, especially to the point you attack someone else like me when youre guilty of the same crime.

also read what soonerguru wrote on posts 91 and 93.

bluedogok has a nice comment,..post 96.

okcmetal...post 125

soonerdm...128

sweetandsourpoke...140

theres a ton of negative posts about him on this thread. i could go on, but you get the idea. bottom line, dont be a hypocrit. if youre gonna make a statement, dont reverse yourself in a few months just to jump on a more popular bandwagon.

betts
05-08-2010, 04:24 PM
I switched the channel and only once looked at his website. That was enough.

Nonetheless, my heart goes out to any family who has lost a loved one.

Soonerus
05-08-2010, 04:30 PM
R.i.p.

MikeOKC
05-08-2010, 06:42 PM
whatever, dont be hypocritical just cause he passed away. theres a thread about him on this site where many of us were taking cracks at him one right after the other. if i really need to, ill find that thread im referring to and show it to you, who knows, you may even have a negative post about him that you may have forgotten about it.

aha...FOUND IT! ...hmmm..guess we all forgot about this little thread, go ahead, take a gander at it.

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/20085-mark-shannon-wants-pistol-whip-mayor.html

oh and by the way mr. rcjunkie..it just so happens that on this little thread i accessed here,..on the 8th of december in the year of 2009 on post number 47..you yourself are calling him an "egotistical jerk". hmmm...did i bite my remark right off of you? anyways...like i said, dont be hypocritical, especially to the point you attack someone else like me when youre guilty of the same crime.

okcmetal...post 125

soonerdm...128

sweetandsourpoke...140

theres a ton of negative posts about him on this thread. i could go on, but you get the idea. bottom line, dont be a hypocrit. if youre gonna make a statement, dont reverse yourself in a few months just to jump on a more popular bandwagon.

You don't have a clue. You must still be a teenager and never learned anything about proper behavior in civilized society. Nobody here has said that Mark Shannon should not have been criticized at times. That has nothing to do with it. It's called simple decency and a respect for family. For example, major public figures are criticized all the time; do those who have been critical at one time or another come out on on the day they die and say what a jerk this or that person was? Of course not! Why? If if really have to explain that, I feel sorry for you my friend.

mecarr
05-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Mark Shannon was a Rush Limbaugh wanna-be. He made the tea-partiers look tame. I'm sorry for the grief that his friends and family are experiencing. However, he will not be missed by many outside that circle.

PennyQuilts
05-08-2010, 07:06 PM
No one has to go onto this thread and say something crappy about the man and them claim he brought it on himself. Common decency says let it go, today. Go start another thread if someone has such a need to be meanspirited. It can't hurt him, he is gone. It only says something about the ones who post and can't refrain from saying something crappy just because they can.

Hammondjam
05-08-2010, 07:08 PM
I agree, may he rest in peace and find a better existence where he is now than he did on this earth.

I've met him and found him personally rude and insulting. I disagreed with the manner in which he portrayed his position on some issues, although I will never disagree with anyones right to express their opinion. These were what I knew of him from my standpoint in life, but those things are past.

I know one thing. We will all die someday and death, and what goes beyond is personal. Many hold differing beliefs about what lies after death. Some believe there is nothing. But no one should hold ill will or take this opportunity to express feelings of retribution because his life on earth has ended, as will all of ours.

What may be sadder than Mark Shannon's passing is that some would use this instance to demonstrate what may be among the worst trait of humanity... hate.

I would like to think we can do better.

I totally agree about doing better. I found him to be friendly in person but somewhat annoying in his conservative Republican role on the radio. That was his job though. He chose it and was good at it. I'm not a follower of the conservative Republican stand since it is for show much like the Democratic liberal stand but I wish Mark a happy existance wherever he is and wish his family and friends strength to get through these hard days and nights. We ALL should be looking beyond the character and recognizing that a fellow human being has left behind loved ones that are hurting right now.

Okiezmom
05-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Mark said many times that his job was to make people think....he did that well. Whether you agreed or disagreed with him wasn't the point...it was that he made you react. I agreed sometimes, disagreed sometimes, but every day I respected his committment to what he believed in. Godspeed Mark Shannon...you will be missed.

Mikemarsh51
05-08-2010, 07:18 PM
It takes all kinds to make the world go around. If you heard his last statement they played on KTOK, you knew by the way he sounded it was close to the end. I hate for folks to suffer like he was. RIP

scootinger
05-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Mark said many times that his job was to make people think....he did that well. Whether you agreed or disagreed with him wasn't the point...it was that he made you react. I agreed sometimes, disagreed sometimes, but every day I respected his committment to what he believed in. Godspeed Mark Shannon...you will be missed.

You're trying to say that using polarizing and "us vs them" rhetoric depicting a HIGHLY biased and distorted image of an issue makes people think? Interesting.

Nonetheless, my condolences to Shannon's family and loved ones.

Bostonfan
05-08-2010, 08:13 PM
I didn't care one bit about his views, but come on guys, the man has passed away. Cancer is a very, very bad thing to go through. It would be like me cutting jokes about a conservative on this board who passed away or vice versa. Not cool at all.
RIP Mark.

dismayed
05-08-2010, 10:07 PM
I think it is great that he lived for 10 years after being diagnosed with a very aggressive, terrible form of cancer, and as far as I can tell from his public life kept going and doing normal things for the vast majority of that time. I can remember when I was a kid there were some cancers if you got them you were not around for much longer. It's kind of reassuring to think that, thanks to science and modern medicine, this cancer has gone from that to something that they can treat and keep you going for another decade. I think him being out there and speaking publicly about it has helped to give others hope....

gen70
05-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Shock Jock nothing else.

soonerguru
05-09-2010, 03:37 AM
The guy achieved very little in life. It's pathetic that he's held up by some on this board as some kind of martyr. What a joke.

He made ratings on radio by saying outrageous and hateful things. Courage? Not even a scintilla. He did it for the money.

He stood for nothing, and had people convinced he was a man of principle. Then again, he did stand for something, money.

In the Oklahoman article, he was praised for being great at radio.

His wife was quoted as saying he was right with Jesus, but the guy clearly didn't pick up much from the Gospels.

Whatever, the guy leaves the earth without contributing much to anyone besides himself and his ability to earn ratings.

And he's probably smiling from above (though I'm not sure he possessed the grace or understanding to gain entrance), knowing yet again he's the subject of our conversation.

I don't want to slag the guy, but I see no point in glossing over the fact that he was a major-league a-hole in general. Can we, or should we, forget that?

I will say that I was surprised that someone who was facing what he was facing could remain such an embittered, selfish jerk throughout the ordeal, but he certainly found a way to pull it off.

Jethrol
05-09-2010, 04:32 AM
I saw a piece on the local Fox News channel about this and they had one guy on there that said something like, "Forget all the politics, forget all the controversy because at a time like this, none of that matters." Reading this thread, many of you agree with that sentiment.

I'm not sure I agree however. It seems to me that you don't just forget what a person did, said or was when they were alive. It's part of their legacy and what the person was when they were alive. This doesn't just magically go away once you die, regardless of the circumstances surrounding your death. Seems like the people saying these things are/were supporters of him.

I mean you don't hear these sorts of comments for the very awful, once they're gone. No in fact, we keep talking about what they did and how many people they hurt so that we will never forget.

Now specifically relating to Mark Shannon....I didn't love nor hate him. Nor did I think the was all that "great" on the radio. To me he was just another DJ. I do remember him because I use to listen to Shannon and The Egg Man....then Shannon and Spinozy but after that, never heard about him again.

mrbob
05-09-2010, 05:04 AM
Damm you guys are cold as hell. What if people said the same stuff about u when you pass away. Let the man rest in peace. How do you think his family would feel if they read this post. Grow up, I bet your Mother is proud of you.

rcjunkie
05-09-2010, 05:25 AM

okcmetal...post 125

soonerdm...128

sweetandsourpoke...140

As I stated, I didn't agree with most of his views or opinions, but theres absolutely no need or purpose in celebrating someones passing!!

Midtowner
05-09-2010, 06:00 AM
The guy achieved very little in life.

When you die, do you think there'll be a multi-page thread about it or that it'll be basically common knowledge in OKC? You don't have to agree with the guy, but he was OKC's #1 radio personality. Ratings don't lie.

PennyQuilts
05-09-2010, 06:52 AM
Whatever, the guy leaves the earth without contributing much to anyone besides himself and his ability to earn ratings.

And he's probably smiling from above (though I'm not sure he possessed the grace or understanding to gain entrance), knowing yet again he's the subject of our conversation.

I don't want to slag the guy, but I see no point in glossing over the fact that he was a major-league a-hole in general. Can we, or should we, forget that?

I will say that I was surprised that someone who was facing what he was facing could remain such an embittered, selfish jerk throughout the ordeal, but he certainly found a way to pull it off.

Based on your post, in comparison to what you just did, the man was a saint. What a jerky comment. Is this how you want people to remember you?

oneforone
05-09-2010, 07:20 AM
Look at this way.... Think about the last time you lost someone close to you or what if a person you really cared for passed. Would you want to log on a website and find someone blasted that person for one reason or another. No, of course not.

Sometimes you have to follow that old grandma advice.... If you cannot say something nice, just keep your mouth closed and go about your business.

The man was known for his politics and that was just one side of him. What is sad is that so many people pass judgement on a person because they only know one side of them. For all we know, he may have achieved many good deeds behind the scenes in his everyday life. Besides if he was just a milktoast nice guy, how many people would listen? very few.

I think it is sad that there are people in this world that cannot lay down their political swords occassionally and just be civlized adults.

I can always tell who the people are that live empty lives because they cling to the one thing they know well which is usually politics. I have an ex-friend I had to pretty much abandon because he got all wrapped up in the John Birch Society.

decepticobra
05-09-2010, 07:24 AM
You don't have a clue. You must still be a teenager and never learned anything about proper behavior in civilized society. Nobody here has said that Mark Shannon should not have been criticized at times. That has nothing to do with it. It's called simple decency and a respect for family. For example, major public figures are criticized all the time; do those who have been critical at one time or another come out on on the day they die and say what a jerk this or that person was? Of course not! Why? If if really have to explain that, I feel sorry for you my friend.

so based on your logic you can lash out on anyone, anytime, anywhere with outlandish profanity and/or bitter sarcasm, and as long as you show acts of sincere remorse and sympathy as your weilding a bouquet of flowers at their funeral, everything is kosher?

cool, i never knew that. thanks for explaining it to me.

decepticobra
05-09-2010, 07:26 AM
but he was OKC's #1 radio personality. Ratings don't lie.

not in my book. rick and brad are leagues better than him.

decepticobra
05-09-2010, 07:32 AM
As I stated, I didn't agree with most of his views or opinions, but theres absolutely no need or purpose in celebrating someones passing!!

well, on that note..every human is destined to die, some day and some how. its mortally inevitable.

that being the case, why cant we all just end hate and animosity altogether? why does it have to cease only when a person dies? you can say whatever you want about anyone you dont like, but on the day they die you better feel sorry for them. what kind of logic is that?

look at michael jackson, everyone cracked jokes about him for the last 20 years of his life. but on the day he died, the world fell on its collective knees and cried a global river.

all i am saying, is give peace a chance.

decepticobra
05-09-2010, 07:43 AM
Damm you guys are cold as hell. What if people said the same stuff about u when you pass away. Let the man rest in peace. How do you think his family would feel if they read this post. Grow up, I bet your Mother is proud of you.

his family would probably understand where we are coming from, giving the fact he was an on-air personality and was heard by thousands.

Redskin 70
05-09-2010, 07:45 AM
Grand ma and Mom both taught me as a youngster never......never.speak ill of the dead, otherwise that which you wish can come to you ten fold........Dont know if its true but not willing to find out,
I have met many many people in life who I thought ill of, a lot of them are gone now and thats just the way it is.
Simplistic, you bet.....but helps keep things in perspective

oneforone
05-09-2010, 07:50 AM
Moderators I think all needs to be said about this has been said....

It is time to close the thread and delete any future threads.

Let's show some respect to Mark's family.

PennyQuilts
05-09-2010, 07:51 AM
his family would probably understand where we are coming from, giving the fact he was an on-air personality and was heard by thousands.

No, they wouldn't. Keep telling yourself that being a complete jerk is somehow okay.

dedndcrusr
05-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Besides if he was just a milktoast nice guy, how many people would listen? very few.

Actually I remember to listening to Mike McCarville several times and thinking what a kind and considerate person he was. If you disagreed with him he was always respectful. Shannon, on the other hand, would lay into anyone, dead or alive, to prove his point.

Uncle Slayton
05-09-2010, 09:21 AM
The guy achieved very little in life. It's pathetic that he's held up by some on this board as some kind of martyr. What a joke.

He made ratings on radio by saying outrageous and hateful things. Courage? Not even a scintilla. He did it for the money.

He stood for nothing, and had people convinced he was a man of principle. Then again, he did stand for something, money.

In the Oklahoman article, he was praised for being great at radio.

His wife was quoted as saying he was right with Jesus, but the guy clearly didn't pick up much from the Gospels.

And you're piling up what sort of accolades yourself, again, douche? I'm an atheist, but I do wish this biblically for you, that all the bitterness, rancor, jealousy, and the other mean spirited crap you posted comes back to you 'pressed down, shaken together, and running over.'

F'in moron. "I don't want to slag the guy, but...", then proceed to do just that. You're like this creep we used to have at work, ultra pious "Christian" type who loved to make filthy sexual innuendoes, but always prefaced them with "I don't mean to be vulgar/crude/dirty, but..."

To close with a quote from The Hangover: "You're a dick."

Midtowner
05-09-2010, 09:28 AM

If you value fart jokes over discussion of politics and current events, fantastic. I really wouldn't include the two in the same genre. Shannon was infotainment (at least in his latest incarnation) and Rick and Brad are entertainment.

TaoMaas
05-09-2010, 09:49 AM
Sometimes you have to follow that old grandma advice.... If you cannot say something nice, just keep your mouth closed and go about your business.

Somebody should have given Mr. Shannon that very advice while he had a forum that he could have used to better the world instead of divide it.

possumfritter
05-09-2010, 09:56 AM
The next time some of you folks complain about what's wrong with America, just come back here and read every word you wrote about another human being passing.

Shame on you!!!!!

soonerguru
05-09-2010, 10:39 AM
This is hilarious. We're talking about the guy who suggested burning Mayor Cornett's house down. Classy personal attacks and namecalling, Uncle Slayton.

drum4no1
05-09-2010, 11:50 AM

Wow seriously, all they do is talk about reality tv.

krisb
05-09-2010, 12:28 PM
He was an unethical public figure who used his show to spread bigotry, which I guess he felt there was a demand for in OKC. No doubt about it.

But I hope that he had a good life, a positive family life, and things in his life besides his show that gave him joy. Everyone deserves joy and everyone deserves to RIP. Nobody deserves to have "God works in mysterious ways" written about them after passing.

Best of luck to Shannon, and you can't help but feel for the family..(if there was one)

All human life is deserving of respect and there are many who knew and loved him beyond his radio persona. Let's hope that we can learn from his courage to challenge the status quo, while avoiding the mistakes of expressing divisive viewpoints with little factual basis.

Uncle Slayton
05-09-2010, 02:03 PM
This is hilarious. We're talking about the guy who suggested burning Mayor Cornett's house down. Classy personal attacks and namecalling, Uncle Slayton.

In your case, it's not so much namecalling as "truth in advertising."

mecarr
05-09-2010, 03:10 PM
If you watch the recent interview he did with News 4 then you can see where he commented about the mean comments he received by people saying "you deserve this." He said that those comments were hurtful, but that he'd probably say the same thing about other people he didn't like. Look, this guy would probably open a bottle of wine and celebrate if Obama died, so I don't feel bad for any mean comment he receives on this board.