View Full Version : Neglected Street Corridors In Central OKC

G.Walker
05-05-2010, 07:53 AM
Its good that the city is focusing on downtown urban renewal, but there are some parts of the city that I feel have been neglected over the years, that the city needs to focus on redeveloping. City planners need not to forget that there are other street corridors that need upgrades, outside of Project 180. So what major street corridors do you feel needs redevelopment and upgrading. My pick: South Classen Blvd, from Main St. to NW 23rd. This area looks like the 60's with no type of new development, streetscaping, or preservation. This 6 lane blvd can be developed into a nice corridor, if city planners take a look at it.

metro
05-05-2010, 08:05 AM
Definitely Classen from 18th street south, or ALL of Classen for that matter. Main Street west of Classen is another hidden gem. Capitol Hill needs some more capital pumped into it, Lincoln Blvd., NW 63rd from Broadway to Chesapeake at Western. N. May Avenue from I-40 to I-44. NW 10th street, N. Portland

Platemaker
05-05-2010, 08:11 AM
Agreed - Classen from 18th south & West Main... But I'd add Linwood.

G.Walker
05-05-2010, 08:39 AM
So do you think that city planners have a step in that direction for streetscaping those areas? I think once the current I-40 is demolished and new blvd put in place, I think the development will spread in that direction, to revitalize the south Classen Blvd. corridor, your thoughts?

FritterGirl
05-05-2010, 09:01 AM
If you really want your input heard on this process, join city planners tomorrow as they introduce PLANOKC to the public. You can get involved on a grassroots level on a variety of issues based upon your preference for improvements.

City of Oklahoma City | planOKC (http://www.okc.gov/planokc/)

Spartan
05-05-2010, 01:45 PM
I think I will try to put together a map. There are a lot of underperforming corridors. I think such a map, not to be too negative, will also include the "awesome" corridors that have really come a long way.

I actually am pretty positive about Commerce Street in Capitol Hill. That's just my personal opinion, but I see the area improving. Check out The Grill on the Hill..sort of like the southside's version of a trendy northside dive.

G.Walker
05-05-2010, 03:08 PM
I think I will try to put together a map. There are a lot of underperforming corridors. I think such a map, not to be too negative, will also include the "awesome" corridors that have really come a long way.

I actually am pretty positive about Commerce Street in Capitol Hill. That's just my personal opinion, but I see the area improving. Check out The Grill on the Hill..sort of like the southside's version of a trendy northside dive.

Thanks...

OKCisOK4me
05-05-2010, 04:58 PM
If anyone is going to mention NW 23rd, west of I-44--do not fear! I work at a business located at NW 23rd & Meridian and a gentleman came through letting us know that the corridor was going up for bid here within the next couple of months. Of course, I said that that would mean that construction wouldn't start for another one to two years after that but the money has already been set aside from the 2007 general obligation bond. Be prepared if you have activities along this street, as far west as MacArthur.

Spartan
05-05-2010, 05:19 PM
That stretch of 23rd is kind of like off-roading.

Urban Pioneer
05-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Agreed - Classen from 18th south & West Main... But I'd add Linwood.

You know, one thing that the ULI folks pointed out is that the Classen Intersection with the new Boulevard should be designed carefully and Classen should once again become a significant Western corridor to Downtown.

I don't remember exactly what the ODoT version of the Boulevard is at the particular point, but it apparently raised as much concern as the rest of the Boulevard Design with the consulting team.

Spartan
05-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Here's what I think. Green for good, red for bad, yellow for could be better.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_L3gtvb8usg4/S-IHwzoqSMI/AAAAAAAAAjQ/XJ2IEkPUfnc/s1600/Untitled1.jpg

Here's the explanation of the map:
A Downtown ontheRange: OKC, street-by-street (http://downtownontherange.blogspot.com/2010/05/okc-street-by-street.html)

dmoor82
05-05-2010, 06:41 PM
^^^Great map Spartan! on another note they have finally fixed N.W. 36 East of I -235!!! man that stretch used to put Jolts in your bones!not anymore,it's as smooth as can be!

OSUMom
05-05-2010, 07:16 PM
That stretch of 23rd is kind of like off-roading.

That's because every utility known to man must be running underneath. I've seen every type of utility vehicle there is, blocking a lane while their workers tear a new hole in the street and they NEVER patch it up good. You just want to say "Uh, guys... can't you use the hole the other guys used about a half block down and maybe you can patch it up good this time?"

G.Walker
05-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the map...

Spartan
05-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Do you think I summed it up pretty well?

As far as general trends go, if you bisected the northside with a N/S line just east of Classen, on the west are MOST of your streets that need streetscape improvement, and on the east are most of the streets OKC has done well with.

One of the benefits of a map is you can see the bigger picture. It definitely appears that the "Bermuda Triangle" of streetscapes is the square mile between Main, 10th, Classen, and Penn.. an area with huge squandered potential.