View Full Version : The "railway district" development downtown

metro
05-03-2010, 02:32 PM
I believe we vaguely talked about this project a year or so back, but couldn't find the thread. Anyhow, stumbled upon this link. I wonder how realistic this proposal is.

http://garrettmoorecompany.com/files/TheDistrict.pdf

krisb
05-03-2010, 06:40 PM
What's the status of this project?

Architect2010
05-03-2010, 08:19 PM
There's too much paved parking. Within this plan there are three parking garages, they could build one more and offset the open parking by 1/4th. They could also move buildings M, L, K, and J up against Oklahoma to make it more urban and walkable, especially since almost all of is to be "retail". But what am I doing already being a critic? I think this looks really good in theory. A couple tweeks and it would be a nice development IMO. I want more information now!

onthestrip
05-03-2010, 09:38 PM
The Railway District....Rrrrright.....

Architect2010
05-03-2010, 10:09 PM
^^ Add that to my rant also.

Spartan
05-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Dead project. This company hasn't been able to get their lifestyle center project off in Moore in the last 5 years. I guess they're notorious for dead projects, or they move slow. A development in downtown that takes 5+ years to even break ground is not going to be a success.

On a positive note, this proposal DOES add awareness to another potentially great location for a big development downtown. This was identified during the MAPS 3 vote as one of three possible convention center sites (although realistically the city was and may still be pushing the park-side site). It could also be a great site for the kind of town center retail development that could help build OKC's retail. Great I-235 access.

Kerry
05-04-2010, 05:56 AM
There's too much paved parking. Within this plan there are three parking garages, they could build one more and offset the open parking by 1/4th. They could also move buildings M, L, K, and J up against Oklahoma to make it more urban and walkable, especially since almost all of is to be "retail". But what am I doing already being a critic? I think this looks really good in theory. A couple tweeks and it would be a nice development IMO. I want more information now!

A2010 - very good observation. When I looked at the design the very first thing I noticed was all the surface parking. I can't explain why developers keep coming up with all of these open space ideas for what is supposed to be an urban project. The urban model is so very simple. It goes like this:

street -> on-street parking -> sidwalk -> building

It is just that simple. If you need additional parking a garage is prefered (with groundfloor retail) or put the parking behind the building. This isn't rocket science!

Platemaker
05-04-2010, 08:41 AM
This would have destroyed many old buildings on 6th... glad it's dead.