View Full Version : The year 1990-remembering 20 yrs ago

decepticobra
04-28-2010, 07:28 AM
1990-2010

1990 was one of my favorite years. There was so much to like about it. So, on this 20 yr anniversary of it, Id like to take a step back to remember it as best I can.

If you also are fond of 1990, or would like to add some things regarding, please feel free to share.

Just to refresh your memory a tad, heres a few things that were happening in 1990.

Movies: Pretty Woman, Robocop 2, Home Alone, Total Recall, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Ghost, Dances with Wolves, Pacific Heights, Kindergarten Cop, Back to the Future III, Childs Play 2, Ernest goes to jail, Rocky V, Young Guns II, Welcome Home Roxy Carmichael.

TV: In Living Color, Tailspin, Northern Exposure, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

Music: Madonna "Vogue", Sinead O'Connor "Nothing Compares to you", MC Hammer "Cant Touch This", Vanilla Ice "Ice, Ice Baby",Slaughter "Fly to the Angels", Poison "Unskinny Bop", Bell Biv Devoe "Poison", Damn Yankees "Can you take me high enough", Mariah Carey "Vision of love", Bon Jovi "Blaze of Glory".

Video games: Super Mario Bros 3 is unveiled. Games also released this year include: Dr. Mario, Golden Axe, Bonks Adventure, Mega Man 3, Final Fantasy on NES.

The 1990 Nintendo World Championships is held at the Kitchens of America Building at the Oklahoma State Fairgrounds.

News:

Iraq invades Kuwait August 1990. Price of gasoline leaps in OKC from 88 cents to $1.20.

First McDonalds in Moscow opens

leaning tower of pisa closed due to safety concerns.

buster douglas k.o.'s tyson

exxon valdez spill in alaska

hubble telescope launched aboard discovery

microsoft releases windows 3.0

edmonton oilers defeat boston bruins for stanley cup

jim henson dies may 16th.

Stores that existed in MWC:

Jewel Osco at midwest blvd & Reno
Silo Electronics (adjacent to wendys on air depot)
Shoneys (on air depot, south of reno)

old walmart still exists across from heritage park mall.

Max Saver Foods (located in shopping center east of heritage park mall on air depot)

Old Braums still exists on air depot

Hardees exists on southeast corner of air depot and 15th street.

C.R. Anthony's selling clothes at 15th and midwest blvd.

Venture exists at Sooner and Reno

Twids Sporting Goods still located at corner of air depot and 15th street.

Eckerd Drugs located at 15th and Air Depot.

Phillips 66 located at 15th and Air Depot

Taco Bueno at 15th and Air Depot still has old spanish styling for building instead of modernized current styling.

Golden Corral in Mwc doesnt yet exist.

(if you can paint some more visuals of mwc in 1990, or any other part of okc, please do so)

Lord Helmet
04-28-2010, 08:49 AM
I graduated HS in 1990. It was a good year indeed.

RealJimbo
04-28-2010, 10:15 AM
I lived in Bixby, OK at the time. Within a mile of our house were a Homeland, C.R. Anthony, Braum's and Pizza Hut. Life was good.

In Edmond, there was still an IGA grocery, the Edmond Plaza Theater, C.R. Anthony, and Fannie's on Broadway.

My kids were still in high school (in Bixby) and I was selling printing equipment and supplies in NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas and NW Arkansas. I enjoyed being out and about with very few nights out on the road. Many of the people I came to know became true friends.

Pre-Murrah Building and 9/11, life was definitely different.

PennyQuilts
04-28-2010, 11:12 AM
I started law school which was both terrifying and thrilling. Met friends in law school that I expect will remain dear friends for life.

Lauri101
04-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Got my accountancy degree after 8 years of working full time, carry 3/4 time college courses and raising two children as divorced mom.

I walked the aisle with my daughters cheering me on - proudest moment of my life, next to becoming a mom.

We shopped at MWC stores, including Beachler's IGA, CR Anthony and Venture.

I was 35, my daughters were 10 and 9. Seems like yesterday, but in a parallel universe.

stratosphere
04-28-2010, 05:47 PM
1990-2010

Music: Madonna "Vogue", Sinead O'Connor "Nothing Compares to you", MC Hammer "Cant Touch This", Vanilla Ice "Ice, Ice Baby",Slaughter "Fly to the Angels", Poison "Unskinny Bop", Bell Biv Devoe "Poison", Damn Yankees "Can you take me high enough", Mariah Carey "Vision of love", Bon Jovi "Blaze of Glory".

sad to say, but mainstream pop music is in a decline, and have been for a really long time. These songs you have listed are a lot better than almost anything "played" on typical radio today. While there is plenty of good music still being made, most of it doesn't get free airplay like the above listed songs did.

(if you can paint some more visuals of mwc in 1990, or any other part of okc, please do so)

Wasn't Cale Gundy still the QB of MCHS?

Coach Gibbs was the new head coach at OU.

Norman traffic wasn't nearly as bad in 1990 as it is today.

Ed Noble Parkway did not exist as we know it today, in fact i believe it was a giant field. SW 36th Street dead ended into that field and what we called "the river" which was our hang out spot. I know we got busted there once and had to dump out a lot of beer! Another time i took my dad's truck back there and got stuck. Im having a lot of flashbacks now...

ronronnie1
05-03-2010, 09:23 PM
wow love this list! Twenty years ago - went by so fast. Poison, Swatchs, Janet Jackson, Guess Jeans, and Madonna. To be 16 and perfect again. I miss those times! :Smiley145

decepticobra
05-04-2010, 06:00 PM
wow love this list! Twenty years ago - went by so fast. Poison, Swatchs, Janet Jackson, Guess Jeans, and Madonna. To be 16 and perfect again. I miss those times! :Smiley145

yup, good old days indeed.

wish i had more money to buy cool stuff back then. Namely, that Turbo-Grafx 16 I always wanted, and some more Transformers toys, cause I had no idea that 20 yrs later that my TF toys would be worth so much money, and the TF toys that are out today suck so much.

mireaux
05-05-2010, 12:05 AM
[QUOTE=decepticobra;321930]1990-2010

TV: In Living Color QUOTE]

that show was awesome. Id watch it just to see Carrie Ann Inaba, she was a damn fine cutie.

You also forgot to mention The Simpsons debuted in 1990.

CCOKC
05-05-2010, 11:54 PM
Sat for the CPA exam for the final time while 6 mos pregnant with my first child. I think she passed half the exam before she was even born.

mmonroe
05-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Oh to be 3 years old again. ha.

Debzkidz
05-10-2010, 05:59 AM
It was the year my first child was born. I remember big, over permed hair.

mireaux
05-10-2010, 08:31 AM

like the way so many young girls wore it at the time, they used a lotta hairspray to create what looked like a flower perched right above their forehead. sorry, dont know how else to explain it or what that hairstyle is even called.

Lauri101
05-10-2010, 03:18 PM

Wow, that must have been scratchy during birth!

ronronnie1
05-10-2010, 06:37 PM

lol!

decepticobra
05-10-2010, 08:25 PM

thats why they make vagasil.