View Full Version : Symphony Show House Racist Flub

jbrown84
04-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Apologies offered by Oklahoma City Orchestra League over ‘Showcase’ event gaffe
BY RICHARD MIZE
Published: April 27, 2010

The Oklahoma City Orchestra League apologized Monday for not realizing the historic, racist meaning of "separate but equal” and approving it as the theme of a game room in its upcoming Symphony Show House fundraiser.

Read more: NewsOK (http://www.newsok.com/apologies-offered-over-showcase-event-gaffe/article/3457116?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz0mLH6N74 S)

I'm 26 and I knew where that phrase came from, but none of these people did, including the 52-year old designer who's idea it was??

PennyQuilts
04-27-2010, 05:36 PM
Apologies offered by Oklahoma City Orchestra League over ‘Showcase’ event gaffe
BY RICHARD MIZE
Published: April 27, 2010

The Oklahoma City Orchestra League apologized Monday for not realizing the historic, racist meaning of "separate but equal” and approving it as the theme of a game room in its upcoming Symphony Show House fundraiser.

Read more: NewsOK (http://www.newsok.com/apologies-offered-over-showcase-event-gaffe/article/3457116?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz0mLH6N74 S)

I'm 26 and I knew where that phrase came from, but none of these people did, including the 52-year old designer who's idea it was??

Well, the good news is that we are so distant from that sort of thing that it is not something we just "know" through common experience.

dismayed
04-27-2010, 06:52 PM
This is one of those times you would like to corner the designer and ask, "are you lying, or are you stupid... Which is it?"

Midtowner
04-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Well, the good news is that we are so distant from that sort of thing that it is not something we just "know" through common experience.

The designer was 52, born in 1958. She'd have been a young woman right in the middle of the fight for integration. This got past her and a board of directors for the Symphony Showhouse (these boards typically consist mainly of grey-hairs).

PennyQuilts
04-27-2010, 07:02 PM
The designer was 52, born in 1958. She'd have been a young woman right in the middle of the fight for integration. This got past her and a board of directors for the Symphony Showhouse (these boards typically consist mainly of grey-hairs).

It is funny how difficult it is to judge what another person "should" know. I am the same age as the designer and for me, separate but equal was already something "they used to do" and not a part of my own observation or experience. I can assure you, when I was a young woman, this was a long dead issue. That being said, I am surprised that an educated person wouldn't have been aware of it. Brown v. Board of Education was a 1954 case.

Midtowner
04-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Meh.. who says your average interior designer is educated? I can understand her... she's more of an artsy type. Probably doesn't know much about history.

It's the Board that gets me. Probably full of doctors and lawyers and such.