View Full Version : Destination Restaurant

soonermike
04-27-2010, 08:26 AM
On our date nights, my wife and I like to find restaurants in outlying areas so we have the drive time to visit followed by a great meal. We've been to Eischen's, Ken's out in Amber, and Meers Store. So now I'm looking for other out of the way restaurant ideas within 50-60 miles of the metro. Suggestions?

kevinpate
04-27-2010, 09:27 AM
Whispering Pines B&B (east of Norman proper a wee bit on Hwy 9)

Napoli's on S 4th in Chickasha

Nicoli's in Anadarko

Old Plantation in Medicine Park

Euphoria
04-27-2010, 09:49 AM
If you're not dead set on a "fancy" dinner try J&W Grill in Chickasha as well. My father and I generally eat there when we have some time to spend together and two big guys (with appetites to match) can get in and out for 12 bucks. The help is great and their onion burgers are the match for anything I've had in El Reno or Yukon.

Also, they have a GREAT breakfast if you get down there in the morning. Two eggs, bacon, toast, hashbrowns, short stack, and coffee will run you about 6 bucks and it's more food than you can eat in one sitting and all of it is absolutely outstanding.

It's not pretentious or fancy but I'd qualify it as a hidden gem.

pickles
04-27-2010, 10:26 AM
Dan's in Davenport.

RealJimbo
04-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Ozzie's at the airport in Norman (diner food), Curtis Watson's Restaurant at the McCloud exit on I-40 (americana, comfort food), Boneyard or Roma in Guthrie (BBQ & authentic Italian, respectively), Eskimo Joe's in Stillwater (burgers, cheese fries, gift shop).

MsDarkstar
04-27-2010, 11:27 AM
Crepe Myrtle in Stillwater is good, too. Hole in the wall diner type place, but the food is great. Check them out on Urbanspoon, you can see their menu. The pictures of the food are ones I posted the last time I was there. Love their homemade potato chips.

Crepe Myrtle - Stillwater | Urbanspoon (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/241/1140501/restaurant/Oklahoma/Crepe-Myrtle-Stillwater)

RealJimbo
04-27-2010, 01:11 PM
A little further out:

McGehee's in Marietta off I-35 (actually more like down on the Red River, way out in the country - best catfish around)

Two Frogs Grill in Ardmore - you can see it from I-35 (awesome Cajun food, my favorite is Catfish Leon)

Punkin's in Pauls Valley - Catfish and BBQ

White River Fish Market in Tulsa - All kinds of excellent seafood, fresh or cooked

Spudder in Tulsa - Excellent steak, homemade tomato basil soup - Oil Field theme

Ri Le Vietnamese in Tulsa - Freshly-made food, tasty - excellent service

Green Onion in Tulsa - Casual fine dining - sandwiches to steaks, great atmosphere - live music on weekends

icecold
04-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Click's in Pawnee

bluedogok
04-27-2010, 09:07 PM
In addition to the ones "further out" from RealJimbo's list, I would add the family Italian restaurants in Krebs (near McAlester). Pete's Place (http://www.petes.org/) is the only place that I have been to there but I have heard from others that many of the other places are good as well.

kevinpate
04-28-2010, 05:11 AM
In addition to the ones "further out" from RealJimbo's list, I would add the family Italian restaurants in Krebs (near McAlester). Pete's Place (http://www.petes.org/) is the only place that I have been to there but I have heard from others that many of the other places are good as well.

I prefer Rosanna's myself, but it is a day time location. For nighttime, ditto on Pete's (though I concede I enjoyed Pete's better a few decades back when it was way less mainstream.)

RealJimbo
04-28-2010, 10:03 AM

I'll second your comments. Pete's is so good, especially for families. Of course if you enjoy a different brew, it is home to Choc Beer, too. The food is awesome.

Giacomo's in McAlester is also a favorite of mine, so if we are only in the area for one meal, I have a decision to make and it isn't easy.

jdcf
04-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Enjoyed some time ago Enrique's at the Ponca City airport. Kind of cool to see people fly in just to eat.

metro
04-28-2010, 02:48 PM
You can do that at Annie Okie's at Wiley Post Airport in Bethany. Good breakfast too.

jarrington00
04-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Ken's Steakhouse in Amber/Pocasset is my fav. Great steaks, ribs, and salad bar. Only open Thursday, Friday and Saturday for dinner. Get there early or stand in line for a bit.

nik4411
04-28-2010, 09:26 PM
You can do that at Annie Okie's at Wiley Post Airport in Bethany. Good breakfast too.

i used to love eating breakfast there.

PennyQuilts
04-29-2010, 05:27 AM
i used to love eating breakfast there.

Me too.

PennyQuilts
04-29-2010, 05:27 AM
Enjoyed some time ago Enrique's at the Ponca City airport. Kind of cool to see people fly in just to eat.

Been there, too. It was good.

Debzkidz
04-29-2010, 09:39 AM
What about The Rock Cafe in Stroud?

MsDarkstar
04-29-2010, 09:57 AM
Jiggs Smokehouse in Clinton is good...call ahead though, they sometimes keep odd hours. Saw them last night on the new Food Network show Outrageous Foods. Their Pigsickle sandwich is great.

Pops in Arcadia.

shortdog
05-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Old Germany in Choctaw.....very authentic food and setting

pickles
05-07-2010, 12:45 PM
What about The Rock Cafe in Stroud?

I've been there a couple times, and found it completely unremarkable.

Midtowner
05-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Old Germany in Choctaw.....very authentic food and setting

Trés cher for what you get though.

CuatrodeMayo
05-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Click's in Pawnee

They are located on the historic courthouse square and have a great prime rib.

Easy180
05-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Ken's Steakhouse in Amber/Pocasset is my fav. Great steaks, ribs, and salad bar. Only open Thursday, Friday and Saturday for dinner. Get there early or stand in line for a bit.

Fan of ken's as well...definitely worth the drive

lasomeday
05-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Ponca City's airport used to have a great Mexican restaurant with great soup and orange sophapillas. I am not sure if it is still there.