View Full Version : Turkish Festival - May 1st

metro
04-27-2010, 07:26 AM
Noticed that the Turkish Festival is May 1st at 4444 N. Classen. That's all I know.

Superhyper
04-27-2010, 05:13 PM
I'll have to check it out, i'll be studying in Istanbul this summer so I need all the help I can get!

NickFiggins
04-28-2010, 10:23 AM
I really enjoyed my visit to Turkey, and the Turkish people. I'll have to check this out as Turkish food is not easy to find in the metro. Before we start calling our selves a "Big League City" we need more stuff like this. Turkey is a little gem that most Oklahomans don't know about.

metro
04-28-2010, 02:25 PM
What do you mean, Turkey is a travel hotspot right now and I've seen travel articles on Turkey in the Oklahoman and other publications.

HOT ROD
04-29-2010, 02:47 AM
One of my best friends is Turkish, he has educated me a lot on the culture and food, which is often confused with but very similar to that found in Greece. ...

in all fairness Nick, you could say that about 90% of America too.

Only New York and Chicago have sizeable numbers of Turkish people and restaurants. ...

But I do agree that OKC needs more of these world-wide cultural festivals because that says a lot about OKC's cosmopolitan atmosphere and people need to learn more about the world we live in and be able to enjoy the fantastic cuisines.

dcsooner
04-29-2010, 04:29 AM
OKC needs more diverse cultures period. Diversity of cultures creates a vibrant, interesting environment

metro
04-29-2010, 08:54 AM
We are VERY diverse for our size, and I'd argue we have more diverse festivals than other cities our size. Here's the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

OKC Festivals
Fiesta de Fiestas (hispanic)
Cinco De Mayo events (hispanic)
Festival de las Americas (hispanic)
Tiet Festival (Vietnamese)
Asian Festival
Greek Festival
Lebanese Festival
Turkish Festival
many African American events and restaurants (Brown Suga Cafe, Mama E's, etc.)
Moroccan restaurant
Ethiopean restaurant
lots of Guatemalan restaurants
restaurant at 10th and Meridian of some obscure culture (can't remember which)
Red Earth (numerous Native American tribes, Oklahoma has more tribes than anywhere else)
St. Patty's Day festivals/events (Irish)
Korean restaurants
tons of Mexican, Italian shops and restaurants
Czech Festival in Yukon (Czech)
German Fest in Choctaw and elsewhere & several German restaurants
Rose State has an international festival every year with dozens of cultures.

these are just a few, but I know there is MANY MORE.

HOT ROD
04-30-2010, 11:18 PM
you forgot about Lunar New Year, Moon Festival (Mid-Autumn Fest), and Dragon boat festival. (just on the Chinese front).

I agree that OKC does well to support diversity especially considering it's size. but i would like to see more people attend the events and Okies get more cultural exposure. It seems as if the diversity events aren't promoted well, though. ...

Lauri101
05-02-2010, 02:55 PM
I was stationed in Turkey for 2 years and grew to love the Turkish culture. Wish I had known about the festival - I'll mark it on my calendar to look for next year.

Adana kebobs rock! mmmmm