View Full Version : Court: Wal-Mart to face massive class action suit

ronronnie1
04-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Source: San Francisco Chronicle

By PAUL ELIAS, Associated Press Writer

Monday, April 26, 2010

A sharply divided federal appeals court on Monday exposed Wal-Mart Stores Inc. to billions of dollars in legal damages when it ruled a massive class action lawsuit alleging gender discrimination over pay for female workers can go to trial.

In its 6-5 ruling, the 9th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals said the world's largest private employer will have to face charges that it pays women less than men for the same jobs and that female employees receive fewer promotions and have to wait longer for those promotions than male counterparts.

The retailer, based in Bentonville, Ark., has fiercely fought the lawsuit since it was first filed by six women in federal court in San Francisco in 2001, losing two previous rulings in the trial court and again in the appeals court in 2007.

Billions with a B in damages. This is the class action lawsuit HellMart most feared. *fingers crossed* they have to pay for their sexist business practices.

oneforone
04-26-2010, 06:31 PM
I understand the reasoning behind the lawsuit but, one thing they are probably not looking at is expierence and time on the job when it comes to how much someone is paid.

Most people fail to realize a person with two years on the job and 8 years expeirence should make more than someone with two years on the job and two years management expeirence.

Besides, why does everyone have to file a lawsuit for every little issue these days. If an employer was not paying me what I thought was fair, I would find a new job. Only losers use the court system to fight every stupid little battle.

On a side note, I found the people that usually gripe about their wage are usually the ones doing the least work and only doing the bare minimum requirments to keep their job. They are not willing to stay late, come in early, take on extra duties, use their time wisely or adapt to change.

The people that make the most money in any job category are usually the ones that work their butts off and earn it.

ronronnie1
04-26-2010, 06:44 PM
I agree with you on principle, oneforone, and I don't know the facts involved with this case either. I guess time will tell who, if anyone, was in the wrong here.

kevinpate
04-26-2010, 06:48 PM
... The people that make the most money in any job category are usually the ones that work their butts off and earn it.

Sort of like saying home baked cookies have fewer calories than store bought.

Sometimes, but no, not always.

oneforone
04-26-2010, 07:00 PM
Sort of like saying home baked cookies have fewer calories than store bought.

Sometimes, but no, not always.

I am basing my opinion off of my expierence in the places I have worked over the last fourteen years. The few people that were promoted on schmoozing or favors always failed miserably and eventually were replaced with someone that busted there butt.

bluedogok
04-26-2010, 09:24 PM
"Class action" meaning only the lawyer class makes any money from the lawsuit.

oneforone
04-26-2010, 09:55 PM
"Class action" meaning only the lawyer class makes any money from the lawsuit.

The lawyer and the orginal plantiff. The rest is divided between everyone else.

I was once included by default in a class action lawsuit against Chase Bank. I got a check for a whopping 28 cents.

mireaux
04-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Source: San Francisco Chronicle

By PAUL ELIAS, Associated Press Writer

Monday, April 26, 2010

A sharply divided federal appeals court on Monday exposed Wal-Mart Stores Inc. to billions of dollars in legal damages when it ruled a massive class action lawsuit alleging gender discrimination over pay for female workers can go to trial.

In its 6-5 ruling, the 9th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals said the world's largest private employer will have to face charges that it pays women less than men for the same jobs and that female employees receive fewer promotions and have to wait longer for those promotions than male counterparts.

The retailer, based in Bentonville, Ark., has fiercely fought the lawsuit since it was first filed by six women in federal court in San Francisco in 2001, losing two previous rulings in the trial court and again in the appeals court in 2007.

Billions with a B in damages. This is the class action lawsuit HellMart most feared. *fingers crossed* they have to pay for their sexist business practices.

this is pocket change to walmart, they have oodles of cash.

mugofbeer
04-26-2010, 10:24 PM
By the time this is finished, most of us will be in retirement communities. The younger ones will be trying to figure out how to pay their taxes. This will be in court for 10 years and will ultimately get settled for a lot of money, most of which will go to the lawyers.

Midtowner
04-27-2010, 06:00 AM
Class actions do need some reform. There are two sides to that story, of course. If every plaintiff only had a few thousand in damages, they'd effectively have no recourse with Wal-Mart, because no lawyer would be able to afford to take their case and adequately represent them. And if they did? Wal-Mart would be defending thousands of lawsuits, probably at a far greater cost than whatever the final settlement is.

Class actions are generally the most efficient way of moving these sorts of claims through the court system. Without them, large entities like Wal-Mart would be free to screw folks if they just made sure to only do it a little at a time.

I do agree that attorneys fees should be limited to no more than half the take (which is probably already the case) and that the attorneys should be paid in the same medium as the class memebers, i.e., if the class members get coupons, the attorneys get lots of coupons.

PennyQuilts
04-27-2010, 06:18 AM
This will be in court for 10 years and will ultimately get settled for a lot of money, most of which will go to the lawyers.

Which brings me to the old lawyer's line, "SIgh... I just love a happy ending."