View Full Version : MAPS 3 Idea for City Council/Cornett

king183
04-26-2010, 04:15 PM
I don't know if this idea is dumb, practical, or what, but I think it might help boost transparency in regards to MAPS 3 tax dollars and encourage people to spend in OKC.

The city should create a graphic meter similar to what United Way does that shows how much tax revenue has been collected from the MAPS tax and put it on the city website and around the city. It could be done with the top of the meter $750 million (or whatever the top number is) or it could be done with certain projects in mind (e.g., the convention center) and once it reaches the top of the meter it's like saying we've paid for the convention center or central park or whatever. I know the prices associated with the projects are just estimates, but it could still be effective.

I think it would help the city show the citizens some concrete progress is being made even though we don't see buildings rising out of the ground. And I think it could have a similar effect to the United Way meter, by encouraging people to spend in the city and see what they're contributing.

What do you think? Good idea or best idea? Maybe they're already doing this and I'm just a reverse prophet.

Platemaker
04-26-2010, 05:03 PM
I like it.

jbrown84
04-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Not a bad idea!

shane453
04-27-2010, 01:36 AM
I think that's great, to keep people invested and interested in MAPS even while they are forgetting about the vote.

Larry OKC
04-27-2010, 02:17 AM
Not a bad idea since the MAPS funding formula is primarily pay as you go. There was a 3 year lag between when the MAPS passed and they break ground on the 1st projects (Ballpark & State Fair renovations).